Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Soul:

Sep 112019

Soul

Damaged engine due to oil system issue. Dealership serviced ever since purchase. During the first mile of the last drive a engine noise began. The vehicle was immediately stopped and engine shut off. Upon further inspection, the oil showed low and it is believed that the engine spun a bearing. Car does not have any leaks, no burning oil out of the exhaust.the vehicle is within oil change factory recommendation and only 65 thousand miles on motor. Vehicle speed was 25 mph on a city street.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Jul 112019

Soul

The cars engine stalled will driving. Car has oil. Not oil related. Not sure why engine is gone. I have to replace engine.

- Robbins, NC, USA

Aug 052019

Soul

3/19/2019 vehicle was taken in for loss of power, was told catalytic convertor needed replacing, it was replaced and vehicle was fixed 8/5/2019 vehicle was taken in for loss of power and shifting, was told catalytic convertor needed replacing. There are recalls on 1.6 engine but not 2.0 engine, as I was told, so 4.5 months later I an having to replace the convertor again. Spoke w/Kia seems to be a run around, keep telling me it take 2 - 3 bus days, as of this its been 6 days

- Irving, TX, USA

Aug 042019

Soul

On 8/4/19 I was heading to work when my car decided not to go anymore. I was at an intersection making a left turn when all of a sudden my car did not want to accelerate. I could not get passed 3000 rpms. Felt the engine rev up but would only go 30 mph. At first I thought it was me, because the whole ride everything was smooth sailing and then this happend out of nowhere. So I gave it a little more gas and could feel the engine struggling. I came to the next red light and when I started to give gas it just jerked and I rolled into the nearest gas station. Immediately shut the car off and checked the oil. Because as I accelerated at the next light once green the oil light came on and kept blinking. I just changed it two months ago! there was no smoke or burning smell. No oil under car or any other fluid. I had to have car towed home, late to work because I got a ride in. Called the dealership and they wanted to charge me 6 to 8 thousand for a new engine once diagnosed. My car is out of warranty. There are 79,000 miles on it. I have been reading articles about the same thing happening to me. There is a recall for the exact same issues but for a 1.6L. Mine is a 2.0. why isn't the manufacturer taking any initiative to look into my size engine when I'm having the same problems. I dont have 6 to 8 thousand for this. Please investigate. Please tell me I have some sort of chance of getting anything fixed at the dealership.

- Loris, SC, USA

Jun 012019

Soul

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Soul. The contact stated that the vehicle was burning an excessive amount of oil. The contact checked the oil and noticed that the dipstick was dry; however, the oil was dark after it was changed. In addition, the check engine indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to matthews auto group (3721 vestal rd D, vestal, NY 13850, (607) 584-5354) where an oil consumption test was performed. It was determined that the vehicle was consuming an excessive amount of oil, but there were no visible leaks. The dealer stated that the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The contact stated that the failure was similar to NHTSA campaign number: 19V120000 (engine, engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Walton, NY, USA

Jul 272019

Soul

The Kia Soul 1.6 engine has been recalled due to oil consumption related to excessive catalytic converter heat. I submit to you that the investigation needs to be expanded to include the 2.0 engine. I believe specifically related to the special edition cars that have the larger sized wheels standard wheel is 16" these come with 18" and I believe that these vehicles are subject to the same issue as the 1.6 due to the engine working harder to provide power to run the 18" wheels. I have so far suffered extreme oil loss on 4 occasions. They have done oil consumption tests and required me to bring my vehicle in at my inconvenience a great number of times. With one time having th oil down by 1 quart. But outside of this I have had it go down on me outside of these tests on those 4 occasions so that the dip stick barely had oil on it and my engine was tapping. Only once did the check engine light come on and stay on and another time I happened to see it blink once. This extreme oil loss on these special edition 2.0 vehicles will lead to the same issues as experienced on the 1.6 engine. And so far as I am concerned I am now paying monthly payments on a vehicle that must have internal damage as a result of this manufacturing error. Please consider further review of these vehicles as they relate to the 2.0 engine and special editions with larger wheels. If you would like I do have a video of the oil level on my dipstick from this past Saturday that I can also send. Please believe me this is a recurring dangerous situation that is being overlooked> I have a 2010 Kia Soul which does nto have the new technology and ive had no issues with that car and it has about 150K miles. I also run a Scion xb that I have maintained and it has over 220K miles. My cars are cared for and ive never seen anything like this before

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Jul 242019

Soul

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Soul. While starting the vehicle, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The contact checked the oil and noticed an oil leak. In addition, fumes entered the cabin of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jul 022019

Soul

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Soul. While driving approximately 30 mph, a knocking sound emerged from the engine compartment and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who determined that the engine failed and needed replacement. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The dealer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- North Haven, CT, USA

Jul 132019

Soul

(mn) engine threw a rod at 80,000 miles. I was told by a mechanic who performed a diagnostic reading that the knock sensor (po...26) was faulted and that there was a recall for an engine issue, therefore I should look into it to see if this vehicle was included. Upon reading articles and complaints the exact issue that happened with my 2016 Kia Soul is what is described, however, my VIN # does not seem to fall within the production of this but I don't think this is accurate, the issue definitely seems relative.

- Princeton, MN, USA

Jul 082019

Soul

Driving home normally, engine knock loudly, lost of power, barley made it home. Oil light came on in when I was checking engine. No oil, just had a oil change month ago. No leakage, no smoke from tail pike. Oil pressure light never came on until it's out. I read 10 post that is the same as what happen to me.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Jun 272019

Soul

My vehicle stalled, cut out while I was driving in traffic, and died. It was diagnosed with am issue with the engine. All maintenance for the vehicle were being properly maintained ap rhere should not have had any issues. There was a defect in the engine.

- Aberdeen, MD, USA

Jun 142019

Soul

My 2016 Kia Soul is under a recall due to burning oil that wrecked the candle at a converter in has the potential of throwing a rod. I threw a rod and took it to the dealership in the dealership is trying to say it's like a mint maintenance not the actual problem of the burning oil which is a cause for lawsuits towards Kia. The dealership and Kia are refusing to fix the car even knowing it is under a recall and what happened to my car is part of the recall. I have talked to the dealership in I have talked to people at the kis at customer care and they are refusing to fix it.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

May 312019

Soul

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Soul. While driving into an intersection, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to dutch miller Kia (7725 South blvd, charlotte, nc) where it was diagnosed that the engine was damaged and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not assist. The failure mileage was 51,188.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jun 142019

Soul 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Soul. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and lost power in the middle of the road. The vehicle would not restart and was towed to bob bell Kia (7900 eastern ave, baltimore, md 21224, (410) 766-3600), but was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 19V120000 (engine, engine and engine cooling), although the failure was similar. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,500. The vehicle overheated, stalled in the street and would not restart. The oil leaked out of the vehicle. I had the vehicle 7900 eastern ave. Baltimore, md 21224. I was called on 17-Jun-2019 and I told that I had to pay $139 before they would look at it. On 18-June-2019, I was told that my engine had no oil in it. I was no longer under warranty and I had to pay $8, $373.47 for a new engine.

- Essex, MD, USA

Jun 122019

Soul

Driving vehicle approximately 35-45 miles per hour on city street - load noise under engine, it started knocking, loss of power, large puddle of oil under vehicle. Had to be towed home. Prior to failure - no lights/warnings Kia Soul + with 2.0 engine found following information for the 1.6 L engine - I suspect it is occurring on the 2.0L engines also NHTSA recall #140711 NHTSA compaign #19V120000 mfg compaign #SC176 removed oil pan and found piston closest to the passenger side tire destroyed and in oil pan. Rod punctured front and rear of block. Vehicle has 88,439 miles 2nd owner so 100,000 mile warranty not applicable I have to fix the vehicle now - cannot wait for solution on this - curious if the above listed recall is modified to include 2.0 engines, what is the possibility of the costs being covered?

- Borden, IN, USA

Jun 102019

Soul

On 6-10-19 the 2.0L engine failed in my 2016 Kia Soul+ with less than 40,000 miles. The dealership determined this was due to a "manufacturer defect" and will be "repaired under warranty." The service department at the Kia dealership stated the cylinders in the block were "out of round." They said it appeared that allow oil to get burned with the exhaust and burn up in the catalytic converter. This caused high amounts of carbon build up in the catalytic converter. I have no time frame as to when my vehicle will be repaired and returned to me.

- Piqua, OH, USA

Dec 042018

Soul

At first there was a gurgle that started when accelerating. Then the vehicle would stall out when put in drive. Following that, when parked if I turn on and off the A/C the car will accelerate itself, I've only let it reach 4rpm before I shut it off the ignition because it doesn't go down on it's own. I've had it looked at and I was told there was an extreme amount of oil inside my engine and it's just a matter of time till it dies. This problem was recently recalled for engines a year make before mine. But I am having the same issues.

- Rome, GA, USA

May 282019

Soul

I received recall notice for the engine control unit that can cause catalytic converter to go bad and can cause oil leak. I took my car in cause the check engine light and my car failed emissions I told them it was catalytic converter and I had a major oil leak they fixed the ctalytic converter and told me that the oil leak is because my gasket is messed up and if I pay for an oil change they will fix it and I wont have any more oil leaks well its 2 weeks later and my oil light is coming back on they are crooked and I know they are going to give me a hard time about it since I already had my catalytic converter fixed...the oil started leaking at same time check engine light was coming on so I know that it has something to do with catalytic converter over heating and in recall and Kia told them if engine needs replaced they need to do it. I have an appoinment at 7:30 on 6/12 with Kia of coatseville I need to know what I need to do to get them to fix my vehicle its costing me money to take off work to get this done

- Christiana, PA, USA

Sep 282018

Soul

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Soul. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle lost power and went into limp mode. Also, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact drove to an auto parts store where it was diagnosed that there was an emissions failure. The contact called haddad Kia (located at 5445 gasoline alley dr, bakerfield, ca 93313, (661) 398-0264) and was informed that they would send a tow truck to have the vehicle towed to their facility. The dealer diagnosed that the catalytic converter failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under warranty. In addition, the contact was concerned of an oil failure. At 5,961 miles, the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for service and the contact was informed that the oil was a quart low. At 57,000 miles, the vehicle was taken to another independent mechanic who stated that the oil was a quart low. The contact called haddad Kia and was informed to schedule an appointment for the next scheduled oil service. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 19V120000 (engine, engine, and engine cooling). The contact scheduled an appointment with the dealer for the recall repair, and the cop and ECU were upgraded. The contact was concerned with the failure of the engine and felt that the dealer should have replaced the engine and catalytic converter. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and provided case numbers: 13188706 and 13188698. The approximate failure mileage was 47,937.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 032019

Soul

Soul began using excessive amounts of oil. I did all the oil changes at the dealer. While specs say every 5000 miles, we were changing it at 3000 and adding in a quart every 1000 miles between changes. Car performance has dropped significantly in the last year. They said it was my plugs. The last two times in, they said it was my catalytic converter (4 yrs old; 145K miles). 1st quote was 1300. Last quote was 1600. They told me they removed it to confirm that was the problem. My son crawled under the car and flat out said they lied. It was never removed. He was the one to find that there is a recall out for Kia Souls specifically for this issue. The VIN is not covered. I am asking that this car be added to the list as it sounds horrible and is a risk to drive. I have rented a car last week and my son is loaning me a car this week. I am attaching a picture of the converter. My son notes that if they removed it to test their conclusion, then the bolts would show signs of removal and that they would have had to weld that back pipe. **date** I am putting today's date since I do not know which date to use. It is my opinion that the excessive oil use starting a couple of years ago was the first indication that the catalytic converter was causing problems.

- Dimondale, MI, USA