Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mazda CX-5:

Jul 082019

CX-5

Electric parking break (epb) warning light start blinking after the release of the brake. I lived in a warm tropical weather. In my understanding this function works on cold weather.problem persists intermittently. If vehicle turned off, problem "disappears" but appears again when the break button was released. Weeks later the car started to activate the smart city break alarm when moving in my neighborhood and in a city street with no reason, suddenly, and bringing a safety issue. Also started to make strange noises related to the brake, similar when the brakes or pads get wet and making the car forced to be moved when pushing the accelerator pedal, making the vehicle difficult to move, no matter break is released and turning it slow and vague. An electronic diagnostic report was made and shows the following codes : code C2005 (electric park brake motor gear unit (rh) circuit malfunction code C112A (incorrect electric parking brake motor gear unit position) code C2006 (electric parking brake motor gear unit (LH) circuit malfunction.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

Jul 252019

CX-5

On July 25 I slowed down in grocery store parking lot. Slowly approaching parking space and applying the brake to stop car. Then suddenly with no reason the car accelerated, jumped the curb.then car stopped after I hit building fortunately no humans. I was shaken but no bags deployed. I am afraid to drive this car because I am concerned it will do this again and I will be in traffic or near people and I could hurt or kill myself or someone else. There was no warning of any problems. Car is still under warranty to 8/12/2019. NHTSA had problem with Toyota unintended acceleration in 2010. Please help with unintended acceleration on Mazda. People reported this problem before me back to 2015. This is my second complaint. Nobody called me back and called Agency been told your employee he cannot give me information I have to write letter and ask. You are government Agency and your motto is people saving people. Please do.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Jul 252019

CX-5

I slowed down in grocery store parking lot. Slowly approaching parking space and applying the brake to stop car. Then suddenly with no reason the car accelerated, jumped the curb and hit building. The whole right side was heavy damaged.I had no control. It was unintended acceleration. I moved the car off the grass from building, this time stopped normally. I am afraid to drive this car because I am concerned it will do this again and I could hurt or kill myself or someone else. Car is still under warranty to 8/12/2019.please visit and you will see so many Cx-5 owners have reported problems related to brakes. Some experienced unintended acceleration twice. This is big safety problem.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Jun 242019

CX-5

On 01/10/17 at 11656 miles I reported a burning smell present consistently for several months. Lester glenn Mazda said they couldn¿T detect anything. I went for service 19may 18 and was told that my rear brakes were bad. Report I have from that service shows red for rear and green for front brakes at 36865 miles. 26 May 18 Mazda lodi told me all 4 brakes and rotors were bad. I asked how the front brakes were bad 1 week afterlester glenn told me the front brakes were green. I was told that most shops have inexperienced people but lodi has all their people trained as master technicians. I was told lester glenn probably didn¿T measure. Lodi said rears were really really bad and that I should replace all 4 brakes and rotors and all 4 tires for even wear. I was told car was not safe to drive without the work. I got the work done. Repairs were completed at 37354 miles. 24may19 I am told all brakes are good. I call 06 Jun 19 and complain that I am hearing squeaking. I call& I¿M told that it's probably nothing but best to see if it persists.sound persists. I go IN24 jun19 and complain of noise and vibration through steering wheel and floor board. The service manager drives the car with me and hears the squeak faintlybut says he doesn¿T feel the vibration and that the brakes are working well. I let them check and am told the left rear caliper is seized. The caliper went through the pad to the rotor and rear pads and rotors were replaced. I am still hearing squeaking and I fear it the right rear caliper since it wasn¿T changed. I¿ve changed my rear pads and rotors twice in 1yr/20000 mi. I found out my car is affected by tsb R052/16C (04-001/18) and 04-002/19. R052/16C resulted in a production change in rear calipers starting in September 9 2016. Mazdausa won¿T acknowledge that their dealers should have replaced my rear calipers or that they should have issued a recall.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Jun 202019

CX-5

Electric parking brake (epb) control module failure: On June 19 and 20 of 2019 my 2016 Cx-5 with only 18,000 miles experienced a problem with the electric parking brake function. When I would lift the epb switch to set the parking brake the indicator light would start flashing and a warning sign ((P!)) would show up on the dash display. The Mazda dealer did a diagnostic check and determined the epb control module needed replacing. $765 later I was back on the road. This appears to be an inherent problem with 2016 Cx-5S with vins below 781350 (see tsb 04-005/16 of 08/05/2016 attached.) my VIN is 654830. Also, https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/Cx-5/2016/brakes/service_brakes.shtml shows a number of complaints starting in 2016 about this safety issue. I also saw some comments that a faulty epb could cause the brakes to lock up unexpectedly. This would be a serious safety issue if that were to happen in traffic. There were numerous other comments about the epb issue for the 2016 Cx-5. I feel this should have been a recall item in 2016. This is a life safety concern. Your consideration of this concern is appreciated. Please see attached documentation. Thank you.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 302019

CX-5

This winter, it happened multiple times, in cold weather conditions of approx. -4 to 14 degrees F (-20 to -10 degrees C), when starting the car, the car exhibited the electric parking brake (epb) light flashing, along with the red flashing brake icon and the parking brake icon illuminated on my dash. That warning would be on even the day after, with the car off, until the temperature became warmer.

- Lebanon, NH, USA

Feb 102019

CX-5

Started car in driveway 2/10/19, 4 pm ¿engine sounded like timing was obviously abnormal. Random automatic braking noted when car in motion, within one block of leaving driveway. Immediate inability to accelerate beyond 10-12 mph experienced. Error messages then observed on car dashboard warning sectors: Check engine; traction control: Tire pressure monitoring; smart city brake support malfunction-forward scbs disabled. Car unsafe to drive to dealer 12 miles away. Car towed to dealer site 2/11/19 Monday am. Car has 28,330 miles per odometer; service maintenance up to date, as manufacturer recommended. Dealer assessment of cause on 2/11/19 reported as ¿rats nesting in engine and eating through soy insultation on wiring on engine harness.¿ repair costs of > $1,500 estimated. It seems that insulating engine component with nutrients attractive to nesting, ubiquitous vermin is a serious safety concern for car owners and users. Any NHTSA guidance on this critical issue?

- Novato, CA, USA

Dec 202018

CX-5

Took car in for oil change and tire rotation. Less than 10,000 miles, car just 2 years old. Needed major brake job. Total $600. They are telling me because I live at the beach the salt corroded the brakes and it is not covered by warranty. I called customer service and wrote to Mazda headquarters. No one would help me. My concern is will this be occurring every 2 years and are the brakes safe"??"

- Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Jan 242019

CX-5

The emergency parking brake fails to properly release causing major damage to calipers, rotors, ad pads.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Dec 212018

CX-5

At 31,234 miles my mechanic said that my brake pads and rotars and tires needed to be replaced. When we was replacing them, the emergency brake and calipers seized up and he had to order parts (which took a while because of the number of issues with the emergency brake on my model of car). He said that the problems with the emergency brakes likely also caused wear and tear on my regular breaks and caused them to need to be replaced early.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 152016

CX-5

The brakes have been faulty since I've purchased the vehicle new. There is a loud scream that is not from dust or wear. There is a manufacturing defect in the brakes. The brakes are very loud every time I apply them. I am very concerned about this, have contacted the company before.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Nov 032018

CX-5

Ebrake would not disengage on the Mazda Cx-5 2016 GT with city brake and electronic E-brake at 36,100 miles during various parking locations scenarios. Vehicle would start normally at push of start button but the E-brake light would stay on in the flashing mode. Turn engine off/restarting would resolve the problem temporarily just to return to the same issue at random parking locations. Dealership suggested a replacement battery main 12 volt battery for $185+tax+installation. Battery replacement suggested based on a claim of low voltage measured at the E-brake switch located on the center console. There was no other solutions provided by the dealership for further testing/isolation of issue priir making a payment, to include confirmation that in fact the battery is the culprit. Utilizing an alternate/test battery could be a temporary testing solution. Payments were made as requested and the issue of the flashing E-brake light flashing/E-brake not disengaging is less apparent with 2 incidents 1 month after battery replacement. Incidents observed while in covered/uncovered parking scenarios, outside temperature oscillate from 75 to 92 F. vehicle rear brakes were replaced under 5000 miles by dealership due to noises and premature wear. Vehicle also has a Mazda remote start system installed by dealership with a history of electrical failure of the A/C compressor. Documentation available for review.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 122018

CX-5

Excessive rear brake wear. Rear pads worn down to metal backing plate at 20,900 miles with no audible break wear indicator. Front brakes 70% worn at same milage.

- Swanton, MD, USA

Sep 222018

CX-5

My fiance started to hear a noise coming from my rear when brakes while I was driving. I also noticed that my car would rock when I took the parking brake off. I was told that my rear brake pads were worn down, the rear passenger side had slightly more wear then the the rear driver side. New pads were installed around 32,000 miles. About 8,000 miles later I started to hear the same noise again, this time it was worse. I took in again to get looked at and the rear passenger pads were completely worn down, while the rear driver pads barely had any wear to them. I was told it was most likely a malfunctioning caliber. Mazda ran my VIN and stated that is came up as a tsb but stated that I was out of warranty and that they would not cover it. I would like to report this because I am afraid that when I drive my vehicle my brakes will malfunction causing me get into an accident which may result in death.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jun 042018

CX-5

When replacing rear drivers side rear brakes and rotor, noticed excessive wear compared to passenger side. Replaced pads and rotors on both drivers and passengers rear. Twice since the replacement, the rear brakes have stayed engaged on the drivers side, causing excessive heating, smoking, etc to the brakes, wheels, and tires. Suspect parking brake on driver side not disengaging. Have stopped using parking brake. Have not had repeat occurrance since stopped using parking brake.

- Garnet Valley, PA, USA

Jun 242018

CX-5

I slowed down in my neighborhood, going about 10 miles and hour, and was coasting into a parking space at about 5 mph in my home neighborhood. It was about 1:15 pm on a sunny, clear day. I was applying the brake to stop the car as I pulled into the spot yet I was going slow and coasting straight into the spot. Suddenly, the car sped up, the brakes had no response, and the car jumped over the curb and ran into two bushes. I did not have my foot on the accelerator, I had my foot on the brake...but more than anything, I had no control, it was unintended acceleration. Then the car stopped after I hit the bushes. I was shaken, but no bags deployed. I then moved the car off of the grass, and pulled the car around to the same parking space. This time the car stopped normally. I have 18,168 miles on this car. I have been the only owner. I am afraid to drive this car because I am concerned it will do this again and I will be in traffic or near people and I could hurt or kill myself or someone else. There was no warning of any problem.

- Lower Gwynedd, PA, USA

May 122018

CX-5

Car is a 2016.5 Mazda Cx-5 with approx 12,000 miles. Car began making a grinding sound while driving; made an appointment with Mazda to look into the problem. Dropped off the vehicle May 11, 2018, picked up the vehicle May 12, 2018. Service technician stated it was the vehicles brakes, which are not covered under warranty, and would need to be paid out of pocket. I was surprised to hear I needed new brakes due to the low mileage and age of the vehicle so I brought the car to my personal mechanic, to get a second opinion, before having any expensive repairs performed by Mazda. Local mechanic (midas shop) said that the rear brakes were entirely worn down (outer pads only) and had worn down so much, they had damaged the rear brake rotors while the rear inner pads appeared to have minimal wear consistent with the age of the vehicle. Front brakes also looked to have minimal wear consistent with the age of the vehicle. Midas recommended the rear brake pads and rotors be changed immediately for safety purposes; and commented how unusual this brake problem seemed. Upon getting home, I searched the internet and found tsb #04-005-16-3217; NHTSA #10092486 (amongst others) that tell of a similar issue. Upon going back to Mazda with the brakes and rotors that had prematurely failed and explaining the tsb's online, and requesting a refund for the money spent at the local shop; I was told there was nothing they could do. I just feel that Mazda should have replaced my brakes and rotors upon my initial visit, knowing that this appears to be a common issue in cars with low mileage.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Mar 182018

CX-5

I pulled into a parking space and before I could put the car in park it jumped the curb and hit a vacant building. Their were damages to the glass windows and the frame of the build is what stopped the car.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Dec 152017

CX-5

Our 2016 Mazda Cx-5 has 16,000 miles on it and the rear brakes have completely deteriorated. After visiting the dealership, I was told the brakes have rusted out due to the use of the parking break (we need to use the parking break due to where we park). Mazda claims this is a normal ¿wear-and-year¿ issue but I do not see how this is as the vehicle has such low mileage. The 2013-2015 Cx-5S suffered a similar issue where Mazda will fix and replace the brakes. However for us, they claim this is our fault although the vehicle is less than two years old.

- Boston, MA, USA

Dec 082017

CX-5

In August 2016, I bought a brand new 2016 Mazda Cx-5 (dealership: Wellesley Mazda). Unfortunately, the car had issues related to my brakes. On December 08, 2017, the brakes of my right rear tire locked up while I was driving in a city street (35mph zone) causing them to overheat to the point where the brake disc got red hot and smoked up, increasing the risk of my tires blowing out/catching fire due to the heat generated by friction. In addition to this being a safety risk for myself and other people on the road, this was extremely inconvenient. My car was in no condition to be driven and I was stranded alone in the middle of the night. This is not the first time this issue occured. I had a similar complaint in August 2017 where the left wheel locked involuntarily while I was driving. I was fortunate that I was able to notice the smoke before things got worse and that this did not cause a collision. Wellesley Mazda replaced the calipers, brake disc etc. Only for that particular tire, despite my repeated requests to replace those for all the tires or for at least that axle. My car has only run ~8,000 miles, I am regular with my car's maintenance and my last service was on 12/04/2017. Mazda is telling me now that this was a known issue with the calipers and there was a service bulletin for this. However, I was not made aware of the this issue and the safety bulletin. This could've been done on multiple occasions: A) when the issue with the left brake happened B) when I reported a grinding noise coming from my car (in Sept or Oct) C) when I got my car serviced. They were not able to detect this issue and as a safety precaution did not replace the other caliper, a decision that proved to be incorrect and a risk to me and others. There are no recalls either.

- Cambridge, MA, USA