7.4

$1,100

Most common solutions:

1. replace headlamp (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mazda CX-5:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Mazda dealer.

Sep 012017

CX-5 Grand Touring

We have a 2016 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring that after 35K the Driver's side daylight running light started to flicker. I took the vehicle into Mazda where the technicians did a diagnostic check and could find a reason for why the light was flickering. The only solution offered me, no warranty available, was to replace the entire headlight assembly at the cost of $1200 OR just live with it. Not wanting to spend the money to repair a system for which there was no guarantee that it might happen again. I opted to let it remain flickering until at last it completely stopped working.

Jumping ahead a year or so and 30K miles, the Passenger side daylight running light did the same thing as the Driver's side running light and at 70,000+ miles, it too is "kuput". Now neither daylight running lights are working on a car with 70,000 mile on it and the cost of replacement is in the neighborhood of $2,400.

Now don't get e wrong, because I feel that this Mazda CX5 has been best and safest car I've even own. However until Mazda accepts responsibility for a development flaw that is unsafe in my opinion, I will not own another Mazda OR will I sing it's praises when sitting at Starbucks have coffee with my friends.

This is a safety issue that needs to be corrected thru a recall.

- ambush, Star, US

Oct 312018

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.4L

The daytime LED running lights on my 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring edition began flickering and lighting at a very low level when my car had 75,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and found out that the only fix is to replace the entire headlight/running light assembly unit. This will cost me about $1000. I am concerned the car will not pass inspection. I am also concerned that the headlight will fail in the near future. According to this website (www.carcomplaints.com), there are numerous other 2016 CX-5 owners that have experienced the same situation. Will Mazda remedy this for its customers?

- Thomas H., Kernersville, US

Jan 312018

CX-5 GT 2.4L

Led light start flashing and after couple of days was completely dead...the guy said they have to change the complete assembly and it cost around $1000.

- brunnheaven, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada

Apr 202018

CX-5 AWD Grand Touring 2.5L

Around April 2018, my 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD SUV passenger side daytime running light started flickering and subsequently became dim at around 12,000 miles (I am a retiree). Unfortunately I bought the car in Feb of 2015, so the vehicle's warranty has already run out. The dealer, when I called, would not agree to fix the problem for free. Instead, he would charge a $125 diagnostic fee (even though you bet they know exactly what the problem is! ) plus whatever the problem they need to fix. I was told it might not necessarily be the headlight/drl problem only, that it could be also electrical problem! I then googled on line and found that others said the fix may be as high as $1200. So I have been driving this Mazda's shame around town since. This is definitely will be my first and last Mazda vehicle for life !

- first&lastcx-5, Hudson, US

Sep 012018

CX-5 Grand. Touring 4 cyl

I bought a 2016 CX5 I have 47k miles. The daytime running lights start to flicking. Took to dealership to price for light bulb. They informed me you have to replace the whole light unit costing $1200. I have only had my car for 2 months and the cost I paid for my car out of pocket. Now I have to pay $1200 to replace the light bulb is CRAZY!!! Can’t believe this is not covered in our warranty. The warranty ran out at 36k. I bought the extended warranty to help pay for large out of pocket cost to fix my car and this isn't covered. Why do our lights only last 2 years? This is just not fair to your customers. We need a recall to replace this.

- Diann G., Asheville, US

Aug 062018

CX-5 Grand Touring 4 cyl

Have read many complaints from other CX5 owners about the DRL (daytime running lights) not working. Warranty ran out 2 weeks ago. I contacted the Mazda hotline and told them that the drivers side DRL quit working just before the warranty ran out, but due to a family illness I couldn't get to the dealer until now. They told me they needed more info from the dealer and would get back to me..I'm waiting. This should definitely be a factory recall for the life of the vehicle. If they won't cover it under warranty, I'll just have the other one turned off.and use my headlights in the day time.when necessary.

- John J., El Segundo, CA, US

Oct 012017

CX-5 Grand Touring 4 cyl

Currently fighting to get the Extended Warranty to cover the replacement headlamp assembly. The dealer is saying they typically don't cover headlights/bulbs. This is not a replaceable part by the consumer. The LED's are marketed to last the life of the vehicle, so why is this happening less than 3 years into ownership of the car??? This is unacceptable and a very common safety failure. Why isn't this a recall Mazda??? Do you want to lose a bunch of loyal customers? I wouldn't! MAKE IT RIGHT DAMNIT! I'll see you in court.

- Tracey A., North East, MD, US