$4,060

Most common solutions:

1. replace engine and water pump (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mazda CX-9:

Dec 042018

CX-9 Grand Touring

Very poor design that they have to remove the motor in order to replace the water pump. I am currently in the process of having it repaired at Freeman Mazda in Irving which I had asked if the whole motor was gone and they indicate it is not. The local repair shop we took it too first indicated the whole motor might be gone due to the water pump and they recommended us to get a second opinion at a Mazda dealership. Reading others experience has me a bit worried but we will see. The repair takes at least 2 days.

Mazda really needs to re-look at this. We have bought 3 Mazdas over the last 10 years and have been pleased with them but I'm really having second thoughts regarding buying any more especially if I hear the motor was ruined by the water pump.

- Cheree H., Grapevine, US

May 282018

CX-9 Touring 3.7L V6

5-year-old car, only 115K miles - kept up maintenance, no engine lights, car ran fine - had this vehicle since 46K miles (CarFax certified 1-owner-vehicle prior to that). Had transfer case replaced twice (known Mazda CX 9 problem), not sure if that could be a factor. Was driving normally, came to a normal stop, and engine shuddered and stalled. Wouldn't start again. Towed to dealer.

Diagnosed initially as Camshaft Position Sensor failure (based on code check). Upon fixing and doing a standard oil change (which it was due for), tech noticed coolant in oil. Updated diagnosis was water pump failure. Since coolant had been in running engine, recommended fix is engine replacement (!). $8000 estimate for new Mazda engine + labor (yes that's $8000). Researching 3rd party re-manufactured engine replacement - I cannot afford an $8000 repair on a vehicle that's only worth $10000. Dealer applied for Mazda assistance - denied.

I will never buy another Mazda vehicle nor will I ever recommend one to anyone. A 5-year-old vehicle with 115K miles on it should never need a new engine if it has been taken care of. My Toyota Corolla has 210K miles and still running strong, nothing more than standard maintenance, tires, brakes, and battery.

Owned many cars, foreign and domestic, never had a catastrophic failure so early in the engine life. Very disappointed that Mazda won't stand by their product, especially since this Ford 3.7L Duratec engine has known water pump issues (many, many complaints in regards to the water pump in this engine in many Ford and Mazda vehicles).

- David K., St Louis, US

Oct 282016

CX-9 V6

My Mazda CX-9 stalled while I was on a very busy highway going 70mph. There was no warning, nothing. I had it towed to a body shop and they didn't know exactly what caused the issue but they new water had mixed with the oil. I was told I will need a new engine and radiator with the cost around $5k. This was the first time I had any issues with this car. It was perfect in my eyes and I loved everything about it. I couldn't figure out why I would need a whole new engine. I thought maybe the body shop was out of their mind, so I took it to another place to get a second opinion. Come to find out, the "internal" water pumped failed which caused water to mix with the oil and also caused all kinds of other issues. Once I knew what happened, I did a google search to see if anyone else had this issue with Mazda. I found this site and read several stories that sounded exactly like what happened to my car. I cannot understand why they would design an engine with the water pump inside, defiantly a very poor design and I hope that someone is reading these complaints and does something about it. I was terrified when my car stalled on the freeway and it could have been a lot worse had I not been able to move over to the shoulder before someone slammed into the back of me. We live in a city with lots of busy freeways and some do not even have shoulders to pull over. I hope to warn others who have this kind of car as well. I really did LOVE my car before all this and was hoping to drive it well over 100k miles. Right now they are replacing the engine and water pump. I am terrified to drive it again even after it is fixed. Did anyone out there that had this happen get it fixed and still have the vehicle? Or were you able to trade it in or sale it? Any information on this issue would be very helpful.

- Kristina L., Hockley, TX, USA