9.2

$1,670

Most common solutions:

2. replace transmission (11 reports)
  3. installed an external transmission fluid cooler (4 reports)
  4. transmission fluid replaced (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Altima:

Sep 082018

Altima SE V6

While driving 70 miles an hour on interstate, I lost speed and could not accelerate. An 18 wheel truck was behind me and I had to verve off the left hand side of the road so I would not be run over by the truck! I can't believe I didn't flip my car! I finally make it to the left side emergency lane and my car would not go more that 45 miles per hour with the pedal to the floor. The went on for about 20 minutes and then I was able to accelerate again.

I called my dealer where I purchased the car and by the time they got me an appointment it has happened 10 more times. The crazy part is MY WARRANTY WOULD NOT COVER THE REPAIR!!!!! The fix was a transmission coolant and they said it was not covered by my extended warranty!!!! So I called Nissan North America, Inc. Consumer Affairs AND THEY STILL WOULD NOT COVER THE REPAIR. The repair cost $600.00 out of pocket to fix!!!!

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE AND I'M SURE PEOPLE HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES BECAUSE OF THIS, I ALMOST DID!!!! I'M DEFINITELY CONTACTING AN ATTORNEY!!!

- Melissa W., Lexington, KY, US

Sep 072018

Altima 2.5S V6

• CVT transmission

After driving around for an hour in a half, my car started slowing in speed on its own. I looked behind me, a hwy full of 70mph big trucks and cars approaching fast. I looked at my son with pure terror," this is the end for us" I thought. I'm on interstate75 during rush hour traffic in Atlanta Georgia 1 of the busiest interstates in the U.S.

The car slowed from 70mph to 50 and below. I had no control over the car acceraltor!

Thank God, nothing happened as I made it over to safety.

This is DEADLY!.....DEADLY!!!!!!

I will never buy a Nissan again.

- cpatrick1, Snellville, US

May 032016

Altima S 4 cyl

I too have suffered the Trans Fail (safemode) Nissan would not replace because I had not had service with dealer (oil changes etc.) I added external tranny cooler. Under 1 hour work for about $130. Biggest deal is taking front bumper off, after that it's clear sailing. After install, no issues whatsoever, even in 100 degree heat on highway. Nissan is the worst to work with. They know about problem but fail to resolve issues.

Have had new ext cooler on for almost two years with no problems.

- Brian A., Greer, US

Aug 282018

Altima 2.5 S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I understand some models have an extended warranty or 10 years and 120,000 miles. Why is it just some models? Why not all models if there is a known problem with the CVT transmission?

- Bob W., Kilmarnock, VA, US

Jul 042018

Altima SL 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Purchased 2012 Nissan Altima used from local Hertz lot 12/16/13. In the summer heat of 2014 car slowed to 30-35 mph, unable to accelerate. Very dangerous on freeway. Private mechanic said it was factory defect. Went to Nissan of Duarte. They added trans. cooler, at no charge. Worked until 7/4/18, same problem occurred, plus check engine light went on(never happened previously). Different private mechanic knew problem, replaced trans. with rebuilt by Nissan trans, $3500.00.

Nissan customer service would not answer emails, and at one time in 2017, washed their hands of the problem. Nissan will not extend warranty of 120,000 miles, even though this car was under 113,000 on this occurrence. I have owned 2 Nissans before this: 1979 280zx (for sale), and 1997 infiniti i30t, blew transmission at almost 354,000 miles, it was donated, not worth fixing.

I am so disappointed and disgusted with Nissan, the bad attitude, bad customer service, indifference to customers, etc. I am going to send another email, but have no hopes of being recognized. I have joined one class action suit. Also, I cannot find an email or physical address for Nissan in Japan. If anyone knows, please post. They should know how customers are being ignored. Nissan is no longer my champion auto maker, and will never buy another one. Thank you for reading this. UUUGHGHGHGH!!

- madonna01, Pasadena, US

Aug 052018

Altima 2.5L

• CVT transmission

My wife took the car several hours to a family vacation. On the way back at freeway speeds suddenly acceleration was gone and it wouldn't drive over 60mph. Got worse as she continued on. Dealer says 9 out of 10 times this requires a transmission replacement which they're saying is going to cost $4100. Car is barely worth that, so may just have to junk it. Going to take it to the dealer and have them confirm that it has to be replaced. Got a quote for about the same from Aamco to replace the transmission. It's a gutless wonder, which I was okay with until I found out that the transmission lasts less than 100,000 on average.

- Russ B., Logan, US

May 092018

• CVT transmission

On a hot day heading to CT going up the hill, the car shakes and can't speed up. When hot it makes weird noise. Let it cool off it, goes away. Then few days later, it comes back again. I took to the dealer. They claim the car is fine. They know all cvt transmissions suck. Can anyone help? I am about to contact a lawyer because many people have the same issues. It is Nissan's issue, they have to fix it.

- Aba S., Bronx, NY, US

May 152018

Altima S 2.5L V4

• CVT transmission

CVT transmissions according to many owners are no good. I will not replace my transmission with the history that I have read of these transmissions. I would like it added to the extended 10 year/120000 mile warranty that many other Nissan vehicles have been given. I have had my car for one year, used, as is. I found out early on that my transmission was going out. I have read that some owners have replaced their transmissions up to three times, and have the same issues with each new transmission. Thanks for letting me complain. I looked up the information about the CVT transmission failures from CarGurus trying to find out what was wrong with my car.

- Patricia R., Madras, US

Mar 122018

Altima

Purchased my 2012 Nissan Altima in July 2014, but it just recently started the issue. We cannot drive it more than 40 min straight without it losing power and dropping to 45 mph on the hwy. It drops and we try to push the gas pedal down to gain speed, but it will not accelerate more than 45 mph. This was very scary the first time it happened to us (we were traveling to Las Vegas). We had to pull over to avoid being in an accident. After 30 minutes of sitting on the side of the hwy, we started the car and pushed on the gas to check if the rpm's meter would go up. It did, so we continued cautiously on the hwy. The car ran fine the rest of the way. It must be expressed how dangerous it is for this to be happening. It is an accident waiting to happen. I am afraid of taking my car long distance or allowing anyone to drive it that is unable to react quickly. We had a repair shop look into it, they put it on a machine but no codes are coming up.

- Damaris H., Chowchilla, CA, US

Jan 162017

Altima 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I have suffered enough having no other transportation back and forth to work. Having to pay someone, bum a ride, having no life stuck at home, having to rent cars and still having to pay for a car I can't use. I want Nissan to make it right with all these car and stop putting these transmission that they know are not good. Stop saying there is no problem, when clearly there is. Every time I call the Nissan place in Montgomery, those unprofessional people in the Service Department keep telling me to bring it in and get diagnostic done. The want me to pay them $110 each time for them to tell me the same thing.

I WANT JUSTICE!!!

- Evett D., Montgomery, AL, US

Feb 072018

Altima ES 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I am one of many Americans who have purchased a Nissan with similar complaints and historical findings that the CVT is not a good manufactured drive train component installed for Americans across the world. Nissan needs to compensate us for our trouble with recalling these vehicles and or repairing at no cost while a the dealership for repairs.

- Andrew E., Commack, NY, US

May 092017

Altima S 2.5L

When traveling on Highway at the speed of 70 mph for no more than an hour, the car will start to whine loudly and will go into what’s called a safe mode declining speed and not able increase speed! I wouldn’t call this safe on a highway!! I have filed a claim with Nissan Corporation as this is highly dangerous and unable to travel with my car! I was all about getting another Nissan .....not anymore!!

- Dulcey M., Santee, US

Aug 312017

Altima 2.5S 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Today my wife and i drove from Knoxville to Nashville got approximately 30 miles outside of Nashville in BAD traffic when the car just QUIT going uphill....i pressed the pedal all the way to the floor and NO RESPONSE.....i had no clue of what was happening.....so i got in far right lane near shoulder and could not get the speed above 45....this is dangerous as people were flying past me,flipping me off,etc......i continued to my exit because i was NOT leaving my car on the side of I40!.....was in Nashville 30 minutes turned around driving back praying....made it appx 100 miles then it repeated the same problem the last 65 miles to Knoxville.....i googled this problem only to find out it is TOO COMMON of a problem which will get someone killed! this needs to be remedied QUICKLY or I'm all in with everyone else to do a class action lawsuit against NISSAN!

- msgt richard, Knoxville, US

May 232016

Altima 2.5 S 3.2L

This car has some kind of acceleration or transmission issue. I've been told that there is not a problem, but if it works at one point and then does not at another point there is clearly a problem. The car seems to accelerate smoothly sometimes and others I drive to blocks before the gears change. There are sometimes that in mid drive I will lose acceleration. This is dangerous on the freeway. I am outraged that these car companies can just run with your money. They charge 100times the amount it takes to make the car and then will not be honorable and admit when they need to correct something.

It has been almost a month that I have not driven this car and still making payments on it!!!! THANK GOD I have family and they have been very helpful on loaning me a car while I get the money to replace parts or transmission.

- Maria J., HANFORD, CA, USA

Jul 152017

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Traveling with friends driving on I 81 and all of the sudden car would not accelerate above 60 MPH no matter how much I tried to push gas pedal nothing happened. Cars on both sides of me because I was in middle lane. Cars started to pass me , honk at me and I barely could move over to shoulder to get off road because speed started to drop off quickly then I could barely go above 20 MPH. Same exact thing happened on the way home. Took car into Nissan dealership and was told needed new transmission.

Wouldn't you know that I am 3734 miles outside of my warranty!!!! I have called 1-800-Nissan 1 to file a case to see if anything can or will be done.. I mentioned this site and that there were numerous complaints identical to mine and asked if there was a recall or something under investigation due to similar issues with 2012 Altimas. I was told NO AND that unless owners call Nissan and start a case that they are unaware.

If you haven't done this PLEASE DO! Maybe we can get assistance or something will result by making them aware of this transmission issue. I just know that we should be getting longer life from a Nissan that 100000 miles.

- kdadams, Powell, US

May 122017

Altima 3.2L

• CVT transmission

Nissan Altima created the CVT transmission to save money however, the problem is going to cost lives if they don't correct it. This happens with no warning just while you're driving and can't accelerate.

- djarra, Mobile, US

Apr 202017

Altima 4DR 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Heading south on Fla., I75 toward Orlando in the center lane with the flow of traffic I was going to pass a slow poke, I was about to get into the left lane I pushed down on the gas pedal, nothing happened. I tried several times and still no power. Speed at that time was about 75 with the tack about 2300 rpms. Realizing that no power on the motor I safely got into the right lane. It stayed that way for several miles, no power. I got off the I75 onto side roads the car started to run good.

I found out later that this is a long on going problem with NISSAN CVT transmission over heating and shutting the engine down. There is a fix to this problem but NISSAN do not want to fix it. When a family get killed on account of this problem what is NISSAN going to say? NISSAN better get there stupid head out of there stupid butt and get this taken care of before some one is killed. I guess that is what they are waiting for. My wife and I with our grandson was lucky we got off I75 with no mishap.

- diehlj, Milton, US

Apr 192017

Altima LS 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Met with my mechanic about the loss of power & RPM staying at 3. He got a P1778 code, which is step motor failure.

- Kristie J., Flowery Branch, GA, US

Mar 202017

Altima 2.5S 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I used to be a Nissan fan. I had a 92 maxima, then a 2001 Nissan Altima that I passed to my son when I got my my 2012 Nissan Altima. My 2012 Altima started making this loud humming noise upon start up and while trying to accelerate, decreasing in speed on the highway, and hesitates when accelerating after coming to a stop light. NISSAN is aware the CVT Transmissions and engines are faulty and should be recalled. Luckily I bought the extended warranty so my transmission failure is covered this time but after reading other complaints I'm never buying another car with CVT transmission or CVT engine again.

- Mareicshka B., Cincinnati, OH, US

May 112016

• CVT transmission

05/11/2016 Took it to the dealer and i told them i preferred them to put in a trans while it was under warranty. They acted like it was totally fine and codes only needed to be cleared. Though even i told them I searched the net and was aware of the CVT mayhem. Fast forward to 01/05/2017 i went on a long trip and the trans acted up again. So I took it to a Nissan dealer on the way to my destination. That particular Nissan was a massive help and I wish they were my normal Nissan. Anyways the second Nissan said that my normal Nissan most likely knew they should have replaced it and that I should go back and fight in order to have my trans replaced.

- Charles P., Camby, IN, USA