Most common solutions:

2. new transmission (8 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (6 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

Jun 022014

It is stuck in 5th gear, then dies out and won't crank for a while. Nissan sucks!!! I bought a Nissan thinking that it would last years and years! Now it has trans failure and to fix is more than the car is worth!!

- , Pass Christian, MS, USA

Jun 222015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Now really upset. Rebuilt/new trans installed on 9-21-09. Here I am again 63,000 miles later and it goes again! Should have traded it in, but hadn't had the funds for a new car yet. Now a $3000 trade is down to $O.

Update from Jun 23, 2015: I read that they don't do anything because there is no injury. Well luckily the car stalled when the trans was going near a stoplight and luckily the people behind were paying attention and didn't rear end my vehicle!

- , Mokena, IL, USA

Sep 212009

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I was 1,000 miles out of warranty and Nissan was no help in fixing. Called the dealership where purchased and they told me to go and get fixed from local mechanic because they would charge at least $6000. My local mechanic fixed it for $3,699. Since I had it fixed due to not wanting to loose everything and not get a dime for it, I am going to drive it for a while. Can't afford to buy anything else!

- , Mokena, IL, USA

Jan 012014

Maxima SE/SL 3.2L V6

This car is a lemon. First I had to replace the engine at 150,000 miles and then the transmission is gone and cannot drive except in first gear. Everything you read about this car is true, BAD -should have never gotten a Nissan and will never again. The Nissan dealer gave an estimate that no person could afford, another words they did not want to do the job. Nissan needs to step up and clear this mess up and fix what they screwed up years ago. It took them this many years to get it right.

- , Auburn, GA, USA

Jun 012015

Maxima SL 3.5L

Yes it's a pain in the ass and yes I have high mileage but that doesn't matter. Before this maxima I had a Honda Accord. When I sold it for $600 it had almost 485,000 with the same motor and transmission. I never had any problems with the two major items on a car. I spoke with the guy who bought it about 8 months ago and his son is driving it. This was 13 years ago.. I've read all of the complaints about the 2004 max's and if Nissan doesn't want to fall by the wayside, it's only right to at least recall that year for transmissions or help with the repair of one. I will never purchase a Nissan again and I've expressed this to lots of family & friends. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

- , Lignum, VA, USA

Feb 042014

I Had to have my transmission replaced after only 62,000 miles on my 2004 Maxima and the company would not even help to pay any of it knowing it was a bad transmission from the beginning. I begged them to replace it and help me pay for it. They came up with everything they could not to help me. If my car had more than 62000 miles I could maybe understand them giving me the run around but, I have been the only driver and took very good care of my car. It still looks new. I drove it to work everyday about 9 to10 miles a day never having any problems. Changed the oil and had it check when needed. I will never buy Nissan.

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 012014

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I actually had the transmission replaced at around 55 K miles while it was still under warranty. Now the issue is it goes into "safe mode"?!?!? I am driving my car and it will go into 4th gear. The car will hardly move. I can use any other gear except "D".

The car will not accelerate in drive.

- , Fresno, TX, USA

Sep 092013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have owned my maxima since 05. I have had numerous problems with it since then and believe Nissan should definitely recall this vehicle. I had to replace the transmission once already at 60k and at 120k it seems I need to replace it again. I am so fed up with Nissan and at the moment will never buy another one. How could they sell a vehicle when so many ppl are having the same issue with the transmission and not recall. Something or someone needs to do something about this as Nissan seems to be "ripping off the consumers". Very disappointed

- , Bristol, CT, USA

Jul 282013

Maxima 3.5L

This car should have never been sold, it have a few things that should be recall and all of them is very costly to the owners. This is my problem with it as of right now not to mention the thousands of dollars that i have spent on this car before this and is not even related to this. It first started out when you get to a stop and go to pull off it act as if it don't want to move, but when it do move the transmission want change gears and it's like you have no gas pedal at all, but when you stop somewhere and turn the car off and wait a few minute it's like something is resetting and it's ok for a while. So i go and have the strainer and fluid change and have the transmission flush it did no good at all but yet it did do this everyday. So now i can be driving down the road and the car will jerk and and the check engine light will come on and the code will be345 witch is high timing on bank one or two and when it jerk like that i have no gas pedal at all, i would have to stop and turn the car off for a few minutes. But now with the check engine light on even if i drive it and don't get up to speed for the transmission to shift in to 5th gear i can turn the car off and get back in it and it don't want to move, and when i put the gear shift level over to see what gear it's in, it alway's say that it's in 5th gear, it don't show no other gear but 5th gear and then if you move the shift up or down the transmission will have a popping noise just sitting still. Now all the repair shops are saying that the Transmission need to be rebuild and the cost will be from $2.800 to $3.000 this is crazy to have to put this kind of money in this type of car so soon, and if people like myself can't get any help with this type of problems are so kind of recall on this type of car, i want be buying another Nissan my next car will be a Honda.

- , Concord, NC, USA

Jul 292013

Maxima SE 3.5L

I am very disappointed with my Maxima the car has been verily driven. It has 43,368miles. I have a 1994 Toyota and it has over three hundred thousand mile on it. I must say it is a very dependable car. I will not buy another Nissan. My husband bought that car for my Anniversary.When he went back to the dealer they told him there was nothing wrong with the 2004st here are to many complaints on these cars.If you know anything that we can do as consumers to take further action let me know. There should have been a recall on these cars transmission.

- , Warnerrobins, GA, USA

Aug 182012

Maxima 3.5se

I've had my 2004 Nissan Maxima for a year and love it, however the transmission is a piece of crap. Before it completely went on me today it slipped going from first to second gear and sometimes even reverse. Being from a family who only drives Nissans, I am livid and very disappointed with the company. They need to fix their transmission problems ASAP. And just to think I was soon considering a 2011 Maxima upgrade... I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!

- , Columbus, OH, Austria

May 032012

Maxima SE 3.5L

Nissan Motors need to recall their 2004 Nissan Maxima. This car has a transmission issue that needs an immediate recall. It is a shame to build a vehicle that would run so good and have the trans go out on us averaging 80K miles. Nissan needs to step-up to the plate and fix this problem and own it since they gave it to a third party to build their transmissions for all of their 2004 Maximas.

- , Hercules, CA, USA

May 072010

I purchased my 2004 Nissan Maxima two years ago. About nine months after i purchased my vehicle from a nissan dealership in Georgia the transmission started jerking and slamming into gear when ever you put it into any gear. The vehicle would go into reverse with no problems. I then took my car to a transmission shop and they informed me the transmission was going out. I had my transmission rebuilt because at the time that was all i could afford. I received a repair bill for 1,900.00. Once again two years later and now my car is sitting under my garage and it barely wants to move. Probably the transmission again and i am highly pissed. I will never by another nissan automobile again.. Something needs to be did because these Nissan Maxima's looks good but is a terrible vehicle to own. The quality of Nissan Maxima cars are terrible and i advise any and every one to stay away from a Nissan dealership.

- , Valdosta, GA, USA

May 082012

Maxima SE V6

My transmission gave out on 4/08/2012.

The car was bought in 11/2003 brand new. Great car, drove well, until two years ago when I hit 100k. I started to hear a rattling sound coming from the engine. Took the car to my mechanic, he checked the engine and found nothing wrong. Shortly after, the car began to jerk when I changed gears. I told my mechanic, what was happening. He told me Nissan Maxima's were known to have transmission problems and that it would need a new soon. Two years later, it finally gave out. I was driving,when I completely lost power. The brake and gas pedals began to lock up. I pulled off the road into a empty lot. I turned off the car, then restarted it. It started. I was so happy but when I pulled off the car had no power. It barely moved but out of no where the speed kicked in. Great, I was on the go. Come to a stop light. Again, when I had to move NO speed, just creeping. Then again The speed kicked in. This took place until I got to my mechanic shop. He did a diagnostic, that told him the position sensor was bad. He changed it. During his test drive, he realized it was the tranny cause the car did not change gears and there was a burning order coming from the engine. However, there was no problem when reversing the car. Unless I was going to drive backwards all the time. I had no choice to fix it with a high price tag. I needed my car.

Nissan should either recall the transmission issues for 2004 maximas or compensate the owner with these problems. We are loyal customers that should be treated fairly.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 042012

Maxima SE 3.5L

Transmission has been rattling for awhile. Gears started slipping and now the transmission is out. A dealership did an inspection, and basically said the repair would be $4500. I went to ta transmission repair site, and they "fixed it" but last night the transmission stopped working in forward gears, and there was a burning smell. I contacted Nissan, and will see if they have any thoughts or suggestions - the $4500 repair is a lot of money for a vehicle that has a history of transmission problems and with the milage that I have on it-

- , Geneva, IL, USA

Jun 112008

• CVT transmission

When I brought My 2004 Nissan maxima I was told that it was a very reliable car . But I have come to grips that the vehicle was built poorly ,an tested in unrealistic environment I had the the worse experiences with the car . The transmission went crazy just as the summer came in to season .I had to pay 2000 .00 to get the transmission rebuilt an on top of that I had to continue to make car payments on then the head gaskets went right after.This car as ruined my credit

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 012011

Maxima SE 3.5L

I bought this car new in February of 2004. I've NEVER had a single issue with this car until now. The transmission problems that all the other people are experiencing and have elaborated on with this particular model year are starting to happen to me now. At 94000 miles now, and i am struggling with what to do with it. Trade it in, spend $5000 to fix?? I've taken VERY good care of this vehicle since I bought it, practically babied it, and have it serviced regularly. The thought of parting with it over the transmission issue has me furious, but it is almost undrivable now. Talk about a shot from out of the blue.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 202011

Maxima SL 3.5L

The transmission failed when I took my foot off the gas and caused sudden deceleration. Nissan took 4 days to review the situation and then told me that there would be NO financial assistance and I would have to pay the entire amount myself. This is my second Nissan Maxima and I am completely shocked that Nissan would treat a loyal customer so poorly and not care about goodwill and repeat buyers. I have reported this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as the number of transmission failures on Nissans grows everyday as people are able to report them on the internet.

- , Lutz, FL, mexico

Feb 032011

Maxima SE 3.5L

Bought car new in 2004; kept up with maintenance schedule with Nissan Dealer and with reputable mechanic for standard oil changes and inspections. Check Engine light came on Wed. 2/2/11 and barely got the car home. Now 3 days later the car is completely down. All the fluid levels are good. The xmission shifts in reverse no problem, but in drive does not move at all. Engine just revs up. Also, a high pitch whining sound is present in idle, and more apparent in drive. This should not happen with a car with so low miles and well maintained. There's got to be something we owners can do about this...I'm obviously not the only one!

- , Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nov 202010

Maxima SE 3.5SE

Nissan really needs to step up to the stage and declare their inferior product. We already know it is not a Nissan tranny, its from one of their vendors, forgot the name, have to go to the forum to find out. Besides the slipping and changing of gears, when I come to a stop and completely stopped, the vehicle plunges forward. Sounds like a safety issue to me. We are dealing with inappropriate auto manufacturers out there.

- , Whittier, CA, USA