9.2

$3,015.00

Most common solutions:

2. new transmission (12 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (8 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

Oct 162016

Maxima 3.5L

Bought this car 6 months ago. Wish I had not, piece of crap transmission. I'm 3rd owner, car has been serviced regularly & has 100,125 miles. Never buying nissan again.

- , Inglewood, CA, USA

Mar 152016

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

THIS WAS MY ONLY MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION. HAD TO MAX MY CREDIT CARD FOR REPAIRS.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 032016

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I was pulling out at a stop sign and the transmission went right there in the middle of the road. Luckily it wasn't really busy at that time or it could have been really awful. I have read several complaints about the transmissions on the 2004 2005 2006 Nissan Maxima letting go. I am only the second owner and the car has been babied repaired, and kept up on.

- , Seekonk, MA, USA

Apr 222016

Maxima LX V6

Bought car used from a dealer. within 1 year, engine knocked, hard shifting and finally transmission failure. My son paid $3120.00 for new transmission.

- , Manalapan, NJ, USA

Jun 032016

Maxima SE 3.2L V6

I shouldn't be having so many problems all of a sudden once my car exceeded 65k miles. I thought Nissan's were supposed to be good for 200k...

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 152016

Maxima SE 3.5L

How can Nissan not own up to the transmission failure by so many Nissan owners

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Mar 092016

Maxima

F*ck the transmission in the 2004 nissan maxima. Horrible design, nissan knew they was selling a piece of expensive sh*t. I can't wait for a class action lawsuit. $3,500 to rebuild.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 152016

Maxima

Very unhappy with this ordeal. I don't make a lot of money. Bought the car used from Nissan at $6000, still owe $4000, had barely 6 months and transmission totally fails. Price to fix around $4000, worth as much as I still owe on the car!!!! This is awful and Nissan needs to take responsibility!

- , Elon, NC, USA

Nov 182015

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

Literally this car died suddenly. Crappy transmission so I've seen a lot of people had problems.

- , Las Vegas, USA

Jun 022014

Maxima

It is stuck in 5th gear, then dies out and won't crank for a while. Nissan sucks!!! I bought a Nissan thinking that it would last years and years! Now it has trans failure and to fix is more than the car is worth!!

- , Pass Christian, MS, USA

Jun 222015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Now really upset. Rebuilt/new trans installed on 9-21-09. Here I am again 63,000 miles later and it goes again! Should have traded it in, but hadn't had the funds for a new car yet. Now a $3000 trade is down to $O.

Update from Jun 23, 2015: I read that they don't do anything because there is no injury. Well luckily the car stalled when the trans was going near a stoplight and luckily the people behind were paying attention and didn't rear end my vehicle!

- , Mokena, IL, USA

Sep 212009

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I was 1,000 miles out of warranty and Nissan was no help in fixing. Called the dealership where purchased and they told me to go and get fixed from local mechanic because they would charge at least $6000. My local mechanic fixed it for $3,699. Since I had it fixed due to not wanting to loose everything and not get a dime for it, I am going to drive it for a while. Can't afford to buy anything else!

- , Mokena, IL, USA

Jan 012014

Maxima SE/SL 3.2L V6

This car is a lemon. First I had to replace the engine at 150,000 miles and then the transmission is gone and cannot drive except in first gear. Everything you read about this car is true, BAD -should have never gotten a Nissan and will never again. The Nissan dealer gave an estimate that no person could afford, another words they did not want to do the job. Nissan needs to step up and clear this mess up and fix what they screwed up years ago. It took them this many years to get it right.

- , Auburn, GA, USA

Jun 012015

Maxima SL 3.5L

Yes it's a pain in the ass and yes I have high mileage but that doesn't matter. Before this maxima I had a Honda Accord. When I sold it for $600 it had almost 485,000 with the same motor and transmission. I never had any problems with the two major items on a car. I spoke with the guy who bought it about 8 months ago and his son is driving it. This was 13 years ago.. I've read all of the complaints about the 2004 max's and if Nissan doesn't want to fall by the wayside, it's only right to at least recall that year for transmissions or help with the repair of one. I will never purchase a Nissan again and I've expressed this to lots of family & friends. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

- , Lignum, VA, USA

Feb 042014

Maxima

I Had to have my transmission replaced after only 62,000 miles on my 2004 Maxima and the company would not even help to pay any of it knowing it was a bad transmission from the beginning. I begged them to replace it and help me pay for it. They came up with everything they could not to help me. If my car had more than 62000 miles I could maybe understand them giving me the run around but, I have been the only driver and took very good care of my car. It still looks new. I drove it to work everyday about 9 to10 miles a day never having any problems. Changed the oil and had it check when needed. I will never buy Nissan.

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 012014

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I actually had the transmission replaced at around 55 K miles while it was still under warranty. Now the issue is it goes into "safe mode"?!?!? I am driving my car and it will go into 4th gear. The car will hardly move. I can use any other gear except "D".

The car will not accelerate in drive.

- , Fresno, TX, USA

Sep 092013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have owned my maxima since 05. I have had numerous problems with it since then and believe Nissan should definitely recall this vehicle. I had to replace the transmission once already at 60k and at 120k it seems I need to replace it again. I am so fed up with Nissan and at the moment will never buy another one. How could they sell a vehicle when so many ppl are having the same issue with the transmission and not recall. Something or someone needs to do something about this as Nissan seems to be "ripping off the consumers". Very disappointed

- , Bristol, CT, USA

Jul 282013

Maxima 3.5L

This car should have never been sold, it have a few things that should be recall and all of them is very costly to the owners. This is my problem with it as of right now not to mention the thousands of dollars that i have spent on this car before this and is not even related to this. It first started out when you get to a stop and go to pull off it act as if it don't want to move, but when it do move the transmission want change gears and it's like you have no gas pedal at all, but when you stop somewhere and turn the car off and wait a few minute it's like something is resetting and it's ok for a while. So i go and have the strainer and fluid change and have the transmission flush it did no good at all but yet it did do this everyday. So now i can be driving down the road and the car will jerk and and the check engine light will come on and the code will be345 witch is high timing on bank one or two and when it jerk like that i have no gas pedal at all, i would have to stop and turn the car off for a few minutes. But now with the check engine light on even if i drive it and don't get up to speed for the transmission to shift in to 5th gear i can turn the car off and get back in it and it don't want to move, and when i put the gear shift level over to see what gear it's in, it alway's say that it's in 5th gear, it don't show no other gear but 5th gear and then if you move the shift up or down the transmission will have a popping noise just sitting still. Now all the repair shops are saying that the Transmission need to be rebuild and the cost will be from $2.800 to $3.000 this is crazy to have to put this kind of money in this type of car so soon, and if people like myself can't get any help with this type of problems are so kind of recall on this type of car, i want be buying another Nissan my next car will be a Honda.

- , Concord, NC, USA

Jul 292013

Maxima SE 3.5L

I am very disappointed with my Maxima the car has been verily driven. It has 43,368miles. I have a 1994 Toyota and it has over three hundred thousand mile on it. I must say it is a very dependable car. I will not buy another Nissan. My husband bought that car for my Anniversary.When he went back to the dealer they told him there was nothing wrong with the 2004st here are to many complaints on these cars.If you know anything that we can do as consumers to take further action let me know. There should have been a recall on these cars transmission.

- , Warnerrobins, GA, USA

Aug 182012

Maxima 3.5se

I've had my 2004 Nissan Maxima for a year and love it, however the transmission is a piece of crap. Before it completely went on me today it slipped going from first to second gear and sometimes even reverse. Being from a family who only drives Nissans, I am livid and very disappointed with the company. They need to fix their transmission problems ASAP. And just to think I was soon considering a 2011 Maxima upgrade... I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!

- , Columbus, OH, Austria