Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Pathfinder:

Nov 202017

Takata recall- the Nissan Consumer Affairs department was unwilling to assist me in repairing the affected vehicle. The closest service area is 98.3 miles one way from my house in which they told me to pay for the cost of travel and time off of work out of my own pocket in order for the repairs to be completed. I asked if the service station could instead pick up my vehicle and provide me a loaner vehicle while the repairs were taking place in which they declined.

- Lander, WY, USA

Jul 252017

Strut tower rust damage, my Pathfinder started having that noise coming from the steering column during motion. After a quick inspection at the dealership we realized there was a big gap under the strut towers in both sides, and that there was already a recall, but the recall does not includes to replace the strut column, just a cheap, glued-bolted strip of metal they call a bracket that does not even covers the gap. The "fix" used in recall nhsta id: 11V-244 is totally inadecuate for vehicles in which corrosion has take all the base of the strut tower and the tower is already touching the steering column. To elaborate imagine a gap 3 inches high and 12 inches long; two of the 3 inches in heigh were created by material that rusted and fell apart an only one inch if bent displacement. If as the instructions of the recall indicate, the strut tower must be bent back to original position, the gap will be reduced only the one inch that correspond to displacement leavin a 12 by 2 inches gap due to corrosion and it is here, where the recall solution indicates that a trip of steel should be bolted/glued to. The 4-5 inch strip(repair bracket) will be lay in cross position perpendicular to the rusted gap, leaving about 3 inches of the rusted gap exposed to each side. Just like a band aid stick across a big wound. This is not a long term fix, the bracket will fail as well or will detach from the rusted surfaces where it was installed.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Feb 242017

I recently bought this vehicle in AZ. However the vehicle came from conneticut. It has a severe wobble when accelerting and decellerating.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 132017

Front strut housing corrosion recall. My mechanic advised me today that the inner shock supports on my vehicle were terribly rotted/corroded. I went onlint to research it and found there may have been a recall of my vehicle. However, I was never contacted. This is very disturbing. I plan to call Nissan to discuss but writing you to see if you have more information on a potential recall. I have lived at the same address as when I purchased the vehicle and the same number but no recall notice was ever sent to me. My mechanic said there is a safety issue driving the vehicle and to address it asap.

- Owings Mils, MD, USA

Sep 292016

Brought vehicle in for repair due to an issue with the steering. Apparently my vehicle has also been affected by the same rust/corrosion problem as previously recalled under recall 11V244000 and 11V244000 although these are not listed with my VIN. Vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Sep 072016

Second time!!

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 012016

Should be a recall

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 102015

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while making a turn at approximately 25 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front driver side of the vehicle. In addition, the contact mentioned that when making a left turn, the vehicle would shake violently without warning. The contact discovered that the undercarriage of the vehicle was corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame was excessively corroded and could not be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000 (suspension). The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- North Massatequa, NY, USA

Aug 262015

There is a active recall for excessive corrosion in the driver side strut tower housing which can cause binding on the steering column. I received a recall in 2011, but never a follow up letter as stated would happen for the remedy process. I took my 2002 vehicle in since it was still eligible for repair.I was told that if it was not repairable, I would be told so and then it would escalate to Nissan na. After bringing in the vehicle, it is now not drivable at all due to the dealership trying to do the recall and damaging the transmission cross-member that it dropped 8". the whole inside of the tower was badly rusted as was much of the under carriage. In fact they let me drive the vehicle back home (43 miles) on the day I bought it in due to my time schedule was not free for 4 hours to wait and they had no loaner vehicle. A mechanic that was ready to purchase the vehicle looked under the hood and showed to my amazement, the tower was already embracing the steering column in such a way as it was embedded in the steel. We have pictures and documentation. So the vehicle was towed back the following day and they went ahead and did the "repair" on the tower. I was called the next day and told that the vehicle was "all set" and ready to be picked up. To my wifes and my surprise the next am arriving at the dealer ship, was the obvious cross-member hanging down on the drivers side. The GM of serafini had the vehicle towed back to my residence in hopes of this all going away after he was going to check the "paper trail". when we got the vehicle back later on, only then did we receive a invoice (attached) telling us the car was uninspected(false) and not safe to drive. It was given to the tow truck operator and he gave it to us. Their way to settle it was to have a junk yard pick it up for $400

- Deposit, NY, USA

Jul 242015

Brakes failed. Took car to mechanic to repair 7/24/15. Mechanic replaced brake line and bled system but recommended we contact Nissan regarding severe corrosion in the right front strut housing area. The inner fender had pulled away causing the broken brake line. We were unaware of the extent of the corrosion until our mechanic pointed it out to us. We have photos of the area. We took the car to great neck Nissan on 9/2/15. After inspecting the car, they informed us that campaign #11V-244 would be repaired and that it had been previously repaired in 2011 at star Nissan of bayside, NY. The dealership had our vehicle from 9/2/15 until 9/9/15. On 9/8/15 they informed us that the car had additional front end issues that we would be responsible for, however, these issues would not have been a factor had the strut housing tower not been so severely defective. We had to tow our car home from the dealership because it had no brakes and was unsafe. The car is now sitting in our driveway unusable. We drove the car to the dealership and cannot drive it now (after campaign repair). Our mechanic inspected the repair and found the ABS box not secured (bolt missing). The ABS box moves substantially, it is supposed to be bolted to the top of the strut tower but it is not. In addition, the right front strut is leaking which is a direct result of the campaign issue. The left front sway bar link is broken due to the stress of the right front strut housing issue. We now have a vehicle that we cannot use that is otherwise in good condition. We have tried to resolve these issues with the dealership as well as with Nissan Consumer Affairs regional specialist but we were told that all associated issues are at the dealership's discretion. The dealership wants to charge us two hours labor to inspect the brakes but still deny the brake and suspension issues are related to the campaign

- Flushing, NY, USA

Feb 022010

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the steering wheel locking mechanism failed to unlock and the contact constantly had to maneuver and adjust the steering wheel to insert the key. The contact was able to insert the key after numerous attempts. The contact mentioned that the vehicle experienced the failure of the engine not cranking upon turning the key over into the start position. The contact also experienced suspension failure in which the vehicle was swaying back and forth with no warning at any rate of speed. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer several times and the vehicle had several repairs performed. However the failure recurred. The vehicle was to be taken back to the dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 6/11/15 updated 7/16/2015

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

Jan 102015

Not pleased with the way Nissan repaired the strut housing recall on my Pathfinder! there was a foot long gash that was about 3in. Wide that Nissan repaired with a piece of sheet metal,4 nuts N bolts, and cocking..now a couple of months later I have two more cracks showing up in front of fix that are running from frame up towards the hood. Going to take it to a few different state inspection places to have them take a look at it before I take it back to Nissan dealer because Nissan is saying there fix is good. Don't know how there fix could be good when they never did any welding and now I have new cracks running vertical towards my hood.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

Rear frame and suspension on passenger side rear, near coil spring and shock mount. Frame has rusted through in the section of the Pathfinder. There is no other rust on the underside of the frame. Condition was found when mechanic had Pathfinder up on lift, inspecting as a used car purchase and a fuel smell and delivery issue causing the engine to stall while driving.vehicle has 96,540 miles on it. Again no other rust on the frame in this area. Was instructed to have repaired, before it becomes a safety issue and drive-ability issue. I do have a photo of this damage.

- Holland , MI, USA

Mar 142014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The chassis on my vehicle was rotten as per the recall R1107. Premium Nissan repaired the chassis with a patch that is not safe at all to drive. I have had the vehicle looked at again by other mechanics and I do not feel safe to drive my children in the vehicle.

- Larchmont, NY, USA

Dec 262013

Vehicle becomes unstable and starts to wobble (rear suspension) at 55 mph and at higher speeds.. feels like vehicle will lose control.. need to bring speed down to control vehicle.

- Tucson , AZ, USA

Sep 022013

2002 Nissan Pathfinder. Consumer writes in regards to manufacturer recall issue to buy back vehicle and unsatisfactory customer service. The consumer stated Nissan was willing to buy the vehicle back, for only $3114.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 032013

The contact owns a 2002 Pathfinder. The contact stated that the struts were rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V244000 (steering, suspension). The failure mileage was approximately 116,000.

- Washington, PA, USA

Jan 032013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Shortly after entering freeway I heard a loud "pop" and the steering wheel grabbed to the right. Due to light snow and icy conditions at the time I almost lost control of the vehicle. After pulling over I noticed the front right coil spring had snapped at about the first coil up from the bottom.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Oct 072011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving to Texas last October with the wife my vehicle all of a sudden started to wobble left to right. There was a certain speed in which vehicle did not do it and it was 60 mph. Since I am disabled I had my young brother look into it.so he took it to a shop in houston tx and had heavy duty shocks put on the rear of the vehicle and new tires. When we headed back to California the car ran fine. March of this year the wobbling problem came back. Our son checked it out and says that the rear suspension needs all the bushings replaced but we need to have the dealer or a pro shop repair it something which will cost an arm and a leg. Can I get any kind of help? thank you in advance for your consideration to this problem.

- Perris, CA, USA

May 032012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving at 65 mph., the Pathfinder rocks (wobbles) side to side and the driver is unable to control the vehicle. In order for the driver to take back control of vehicle, the driver must release the gas pedal in order for the vehicle's speed to slow down. There are numerous complaints regarding the Pathfinder's rubber bushings that need to be replaced. This is a dangerous situation that puts many drivers at risk. There's needs to be an investigation into this matter.

- Houston , TX, USA