9.2

$3,889.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission & radiator (287 reports)
  3. replace transmission & flush the radiator (26 reports)
  4. repair transmission and add an external oil cooler (13 reports)
  5. replace radiator (13 reports)
  6. rebuild transmission (12 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Jan 182016

Pathfinder

I purchased this vehicle from Peoria Nissan in 2012. During this time a Class Action Lawsuit had been filed and Nissan was found responsible, establishing a tiered repair program. They would pay a set amount based on the mileage at failure. When I purchased the car it was well under mileage where most were failing. There was also a fix that could be applied that would keep the problem from happening. I was neither told about the potential for the problem, or the fix available. When the transmission started to slip I had it flushed which at that point did nothing for it. I had to have the radiator and the transmission replaced. Nissan wanted me to go to the dealership, pay additional money for them to diagnose the problem the transmission shop and everyone else in the world apparently knows this is an issue with this vehicle. Then they could tell me it is beyond the scope of the Class Action Suit, which all claims had to be in by 2013, and they could do nothing for me. Poor customer service to omit information such as this during a sale. I could have had the radiator diverted initially and avoided this or bought a different car altogether.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Aug 102017

Pathfinder

Nissan could care less if you are stranded out in the middle of nowhere for a known problem. the coolant leaked into the transmission and in turn ruined the transmission. needed to get it towed to a shop. to get repaired then called Nissan which was not even helpful. will never buy any Nissan product again. will spread the word.

- , Tucson, US

Jun 242017

Pathfinder XL V6

Apparently this is a common issue and needs to be addressed and possible lawsuit filed against Nissan. Nissan was going to charge me 8,500.00 dollars to fix this issue, so I took to AAMCO and it is being repaired. Not sure of the cost yet but this matter needs to be address against Nissan.

- , Tri-Cities, US

Jun 052017

Pathfinder SE 4.0L V6

I bought this car from a small used shady car dealership who had to be aware of the problem. But, he patched the problem and passed it on to me. I learned a very expensive and valuable lesson.

- , Newnan, US

Apr 012016

Pathfinder LX 6.0L

the radiator busted causing the transmission to fail. I am still paying on this vehicle and it has not run in over a year. I cannot afford to fix it while I am still making payments. This car is worth nothing and I cannot do anything about it

- , Thornton, US

Apr 112017

Pathfinder 4.0L

I have only had this SUV for a year and half and only put about 8,000 miles on it since I bought it. It started vibrating a lot while down shifting and having a hard time down shifting. It also squeaks when you put it in reverse. I have loved Nissan but I am surprised that they are not doing anything about this.

- , Logan, UT, US

Oct 172012

Pathfinder SE 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

coolant leaked into transmission coolant leaked into transmission coolant leaked into transmission coolant leaked into transmission

I was caught by surprise reading through my emails to see an alarming email from CarCompliant.com warning the public about transmission problems with 2005 - 2010 Nisan Pathfinders. I rarely ever post anything, but felt obligated to share my families unfortunate experience. On October 17, 2012, my wife’s 2005 Nissan Pathfinder literally caught on fire while she was driving home from work with my eighteen month old daughter. There was no foretell warning, other than my wife suddenly felt a jerky motion when she pushed on the accelerator. Knowing something was not right, she was smart enough to immediately pullover on a suburban two lane highway during rush hour. They were not even a mile from our home. As my wife was sitting in the car attempting to contact me to explain the situation, she was thankfully interrupted by a stranger repeatedly honking and driving over towards her vehicle in an aggressive manner. In a panicked tone, the gentlemen informed my wife that she needed to get out immediately because her car was on FIRE! My wife had no idea.

She immediately got out, ran around to the back right passenger door to get my daughter out of her car seat. My wife recalls looking down and seeing flames near her feet. To add to the ordeal, while my wife was in the process of getting my daughter out of the car seat, my wife heard a loud “boom” noise (which she described as a shotgun going off), which the dispatched fireman believes was the battery exploding. Finally getting my daughter out, my wife ran as fast as she could away from the car. Within seconds, the uncontrollable fire flames literally engulfed the entire vehicle. It was, and still is, chilling to look at the aftermath of our vehicle. Pictures do not even start to describe the traumatic experience that my wife and child went through, but I have attached a couple to give you a glimpse of the severity of the car fire. After looking at a completely seared car seat, where my daughter was sitting in only seconds prior, you can not help but to think how close my wife and daughter were to being seriously burned, or even worse, death. Fortunately, my wife was able to act quickly and get herself and my daughter out safely with only minor medical injury/symptoms.

After the car fire, we wrote the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the Center for Auto Safety, and Nissan directly. Nissan responded and launched an "internal" investigation. At first, they seemed concerned for my family and verbally expressed they wanted to make the situation right. After physically inspecting the vehicle and 6 months later, they concluded their "internal investigation" that the transmission cracked and the leaking transmission fluid is what ignited the car fire. Instead of taking responsibility of the situation, their tone immediately changed to defense. They tried to blame it on "faulty mechanic repair work" relating to normal maintenance we had on it prior. Looking back, I really wish we hired a lawyer and sued immediately. Especially after reading that others had similar issues with the Nissan Pathfinders transmission. Lesson learned, DO NOT BUY A NISSAN!!!!!!

- , Woodstock, GA, US

Jan 142017

Pathfinder V6

Problem has been substantiated in the past......greatly...and Nissan apparently did not failry offer damaged owners a fiar fix. Radiotor/transmission cooler cracked mixing coolant and transmission fluid, rendering the transmission ruined. I bought the vehicle used,, drove it 1000 mi, and it failed. this was a design flaw, aand shojld be corrected for any owner who experiences the problem however long it exists.This is a failure at 70,000 miles...........geeze NIssan........are your products any good?????? Why won't you stand behind your products, your work, your parts?????????? You owe me and everyone else who put faith in t/upi to fix this and make it right.....I bought the vehicle on the strength of NISSAN....and you let me down. What are ya gonna do?????????????

Update from Jan 21, 2017: transmission was fixsed........the gave me 'some goodwill'.................aqned I appreciate that sorta of. They extended their warrantly because so many of these failed....to some thing like $2000/$2500/$3000 'copay' at 80,000/90,000/100.000nmiles.........................except this expired ocy 2016........mine shot craps Jan 2017. They suggested that charging me $3000 for the radiator replacement and tranny replacement........was good will........yeah, I understand.......But!!!!!....your tranny failed because of designe flaw.....YOU BUILT IT PiSS POOR..........I (as a sucker)bought the vehicle USEe without looking on the internet.....when I finally did look.....................the red sticker stating AVOID THIS VEHICLE LIKE THE PLAGUE*** said it all, but it was too late. I do not know aht their usual charges woud lbe for the wrok they di.......Nissaan charged me $600 lessthan a radiator shop would have for the same work.... but still , bad taste in my mouth as this is indeed a KNOWN design flaw, a know and proven failure point.........they should have taeknn the responsibility and fixed it....no charge.. Now, if some recall etc., is done.....I seriously doubt they will send me a check for my $3000..................................I guess it is 'live and learn'...........DON'T BY A USED CARE WITHOTU LLOIOKING TO SEE IF THERE ARE SOEM GLARING PROBLEMS WITH THE MODEL, YEAR AND MAKE YOU ARE LOOKING AT!!!!!!!! ps....I MUST SAAY THAT THE FOLKS AT THE DEALERSHIP IN LENEXA KANSAS WERE VERY NICE FOKS, THEY DID A GOOD JOB........BUT I'D HAVE FELT ONE HELL OF A LOT BETTER IF THEY'D PAID FOR THE ENTIRE SECREW UP DESIGN FLAW!!!! oNE OTHER THING....IF IN DEED OU AHVE A 2005 PTHFINDER......ADN IT HAS never HAD A RADIATOR CHANGED OR AN EXTERNAL TRANSMISSION COOLER PUT ON AND BYPASSED THE RADIATOR TRANNY COLLER........DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW!!! BEFORE YOU HAVE TROUBLE.........IT IS PRETTY CHEAP COMPARED TO A TRANNY REBUILLD OR REPLACEMENT!!!!!!!NISSAN MIGHT HELP YOU OUT WIHT THIS PPROACTIVE REPAIR......

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Dec 112016

Pathfinder Cloth V6

The transmission had water in it from the radiator, We had no warranty it cost us $ 2013.00 to get the transmission rebuilt and we are going to have the radiator repaired as well and don't know what that will cost as yet. We fill that Nissan should be liable for this as this problem has been going on since the 2005 pathfinders first came out, They knew there was a problem but did nothing to solve it. They don't care about their customers as long as they get their money for the sale of the car.

- , League City, TX, USA

Dec 212016

Pathfinder

Common issue with these cars, other issues were found upon inspection. Giant money pit.

- , Rochester, WA, USA

Nov 232016

Pathfinder 3.2L V6

What pisses me off is that this has been a major problem for 2005 Pathfinders and there were never any communication from Nissan . We have been a Pathfinder family for 25 years and after this problem and communication we will never buy from Nissan again .It seems to me that they do not care if they lose customers.

- , Lakewood, NJ, US

May 132016

Pathfinder

In April the radiator leaked into the transmission. I paid $2,500 to get a new radiator and had everything flushed. Took a trip to northern Manitoba, Canada, to visit my children in May 2016 and on the way home (600 miles) my car quit on a highway with no cell contact. I waited for a help on the highway. Got a lift to Roblin, Manitoba. Only had a Buick/GMC dealership (Cross-town) in Roblin. Could not drive the car. Mechanic at Cross-town told me the transmission was gone. Told me there were many problems with my make/model. Had to have my car put on a flatbed and hauled 400 miles to Bismarck, ND where I live. It was the weekend so had the Pathfinder left in a parking lot where I live. Called the Nissan dealership on Monday morning. Asked them to come pick up my Pathfinder because the transmission was gone.....reminded them I had already paid them $2,500 for a new radiator. They said they could come but would charge me for hauling my car to their dealership. I said forget it. Called AAA and had car hauled to the Bismarck Motor Company/Nissan dealership. I asked them why they didn't tell me about all the lawsuits and problems with radiators/transmissions on the 2005 Pathfinder. They said they didn't think I needed to know.

Since I had no car to drive. I left my Pathfinder at the dealership and went to the Honda dealership and bought a Honda CRV. I am still angry that the Nissan dealership did not give me a good deal on my car....and mad they were not honest about the problems with the 2005 Pathfinder. If I had known about the problems I would not have paid $2,500 for a new radiator. My car was in perfect condition minus the radiator/transmission problem. Leather seats perfect, etc. It probably was worth $8,000.00 but I got nothing since I could not drive it. They said, "there are no lawsuits in North Dakota". I will never buy another Nissan.

- , Bismarck, ND, USA

Oct 142016

Pathfinder LE V6

I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. I thought I was being sustainable by keeping my car; and to that end, I loved it. Only to find out that Nissan did not intend for my vehicle to be sustainable. This "intermix" issue between the radiator and transmission that Nissan installed for over 5-years, and knew was a design failure is unbelievable. I think it is stinky, shady, and disgraceful that me, and everyone else who thought we were being environmentally conscious by keeping or cars, were bamboozled! For Nissan to know these vehicles were headed toward exorbitant repair bills is deplorable. Had I known what I know today, I would have steered my friends away from their new Pathfinders, mainly due to a morally bankrupt company philosophy. $5,000 is an unbelievable amount of money to spend on an 11 year old car. I had no choice but to pay it because the car was worthless if it wasn't running. So disappointed.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Oct 172016

Pathfinder SE 4.0L

This vehicle was in perfect condition. I purchased it with 70,000 miles and now has 172,000. I cant afford a new vehicle and now the transmission has left me in a financial bind. There are no oil leaks, no other issues with the vehicle until the transmission started acting up. It was intermittent with shifting issues, etc. Took to dealer and they told me what the problem was by taking the radiator cap off. Antifreeze leaking into the trans. Now I am stuck with a $4300 dollar repair bill. If Nissan would have only recalled the radiator none of this would have happened. I'll never purchase a Nissan product again!!

- , Claremore, OK, USA

Apr 142016

Pathfinder

I can't believe my Nissan Pathfinder is only 11 years and 61,000 miles and because of the manufacturer problem that they are well aware of I have to find 4500 to change my transmission. Very annoyed and will never buy or recommend another Nissan.

- , Valley Stream, NY, USA

Sep 092016

Pathfinder LE

I took my car into Nissan last week only to find out that at 120,000 miles the radiator has failed and was made with defective hoses that leak coolant into the transmission fluid causing cross contamination of the coolant and the transmission fluid. The service guy at the dealer told me this is a pretty common problem in 05-06 pathfinders....one quick google search and come to find out they settled a class action lawsuit regarding this very issue a couple years ago. It's too bad that Nissan had to use faulty parts and put so many people though this. We pay our hard earned money for goods and get cheap trash in return.

- , Camas, WA, USA

Aug 082016

Pathfinder SE V6

We own a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. We bought it used of course back in March. We absolutely love the vehicle. It drives/drove great up until this issue happened. I was taking our daughter to school on a typical Monday morning, & when I pulled out the vehicle NEVER shifted out of first gear. I immediately turned the radio down & told my daughter to be quiet so I could listen to the vehicle. We drove up the ramp to a local highway in the town we live in, and it still NEVER shifted out of first. So at that point I told her we were going to have to turn around & go back home and knew something with the transmission just wasn't acting right. Well...we pull up to a red light and have to come to a complete stop & when I went to pull out I had no power at all. I had to rev it up to right at 2000 rpm's before it would even move. So we get out of that & go to turn up the slight hill we have to drive up to get to our house, and I didn't even stop...I floored it and you honestly would have thought I was pulling a semi behind my vehicle. It took us almost 5 minutes (which doesn't sound like a long time) to get to our house and normally it would take less than a minute. This happened on August 8th, 2016 & other than taking the chance & driving it about 5 miles from our house for a diagnostic reading on it at a local garage it has been parked in our driveway the whole time. A man who runs a garage near where we live that my husband & his family have went through for repairs numerous times in the past said he has seen & repaired several hundreds of these problems. NOT just Pathfinders, Frontiers, and Xterras too. Namely the 2005 models. My husband's grandfather had just passed the December before we purchased this vehicle, and he had left my husband some money. It wasn't much, but our family needed a good DEPENDABLE vehicle. We have two children and also needed the extra room the Pathfinder provided. We went to the used car lot & both took turns driving the vehicle on two days back to back before we actually decided to purchase it. When this Catastrophic Transmission Failure happened the vehicle had approximately 150k miles on it. Like I said we haven't driven it since, & won't be until it can be repaired. This issue has left us having to "bum" rides from friends so our children can get back & forth to school & we all know how long that usually lasts before they no longer want to help you out. The mechanic I spoke of earlier said he will charge us $3500 out the door. That's parts, labor, tow, EVERYTHING !! He also said that when he does the repair that he will bypass the radiator so we would NEVER have this problem again. That amount of money may not sound like a lot to some, but to my family & I that's not easy money. We have no friends or family to help us out with the cost of repairs, and are forced to just look at our vehicle sitting in our driveway everyday. Considering ALL the complaints & supposed lawsuits with Nissan, you know that they have to be aware of this problem by now. It completely outrages me that they would just brush it off & NOT RECALL THE ISSUE !!! At this point I am starting to "kick" myself for not doing better research on this particular vehicle before we bought it. But considering my vehicle isn't the only one affected I'm curious what other's may have done about this issue ?? I am desperate right now for any help with this....I need this vehicle badly for my kiddos & so I can get back & forth from work. Thanks for reading my story. I hope we all find a resolution to our vehicle issues.

- , Kingsport, TN, USA

Jul 122016

Pathfinder LE 4.0V6

Our radiator leaked coolant into our transmission. we had to get both radiator and transmission fixed at the cost of thousands. I contact the Nissan they don't care that they were installing defective equipment in all Nissans. Never buy a Nissan again and further research it is happening to all Nissans not just a certain model. Do not put your family at risk don't think about buying any Nissans and don't think it will not happen to you because it will.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jul 122016

Pathfinder LE 4.0V6

I purchased this vehicle used in October 2015 unfortunately the extended warranty on this issue expired in May 2015. I contacted Nissan & they DO NOT care that they were installing DEFECTIVE parts. They knew what they were doing. I will never get another Nissan again.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 092016

Pathfinder LE V6

PURCHASED A NISSAN THINKING WE COULD HAVE THIS VEHICLE FOR A LONG TIME AFTER IT WAS PAID FOR. IT HAS BEEN WELL TOOK CARE OF AND SERVICED LIKE CLOCKWORK. IT IS FINANCIALLY DEVESTATING AFTER BOTH MY WIFE AND I BEING LAYED OFF FOR ALMOST A YEAR. BOTH OF US HAVE RETURNED TO WORK AND NOW THIS VEHICLE JUST QUITS PULLING. NISSAN SHOULD HAVE FIXED THIS KNOWING THEY WERE AT FAULT YET NO ONE HAS MADE THEM STAND RESPONSIBLE.

TOYOTA HAS STOOD UP AND RESOLVED THEIR ISSUES AND WILL DEFINATELY BE MY NEXT PURCHASE. WOULD NEVER OWN ANOTHER NISSAN REGARDLESS. I HAVE OWNED 2 HARDBODY PICKUPS, MY SON HAS A 2006 FRONTIER AND THE WIFE OWNS THE PATHFINDER. THE FRONTIER HAS HAD NUMEROUS PROBLEMS, BOTH HAVE HAD EXTENSIVE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.THEY COVER UNDER THEIR WARRANTY AND THEN YOU OWN THE JUNK.

- , Owensboro, KY, USA