Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Sentra:

Dec 072016

Sentra

The car shut down sometimes when I stop in a red light. Even sometimes inside the freeway. When almost stop. I belive is a malfuntion of the engine control module ( ECM )

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 172017

Sentra

I'm not sure if the ECM reprogram that is out for my vehicle will remedy this by the dealer refused to fix it because I refused to pay for a recall! I was traveling low speed and decelerating to pull into my work and the car went into failsafe mode and almost caused me to crash and get hurt it was also on a city street when I was downshifting probably about 5-10 mph then I tried to turn and there was no power and a truck from behind was flying up on me and barely swerved out of the way to not hit me and it was a super humid hot day when it first happened! I have never had a major problem on my car! it has always been taken care of like it was royalty! the obd11 reads P0605 code and the description is a rom error it says, let me state even though my car is a 2002 it only has 28,750 miles on it and near perfect condition! I can erase the code and drive it then it will go into failsafe mode after driving for a few minutes! the dealership tried to tell me the ECU was fried and to bring it in and expect a minimum charge of a hour for them to just get my car in there building! that is not right! I have 2 recalls and that is all I want done! if the ECU was truly fried then the car would not be able to start at all! the car also sat for many years but was well properly stored and taken care of when it sat!

- Troy, IL, USA

Mar 012014

N/a

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 162010

Sentra 4-cyl

Over the past 3 years, I've had my 2002 Nissan Sentra ser spec V into Nissan 15 times for service. They have yet to fix it. Every 1-7 months I have to bring it back. The car has shut off and stalled on me in traffic, which is very dangerous. The ECM has been replaced twice many others have reported problems with the ECM online I believe it is bad, as well as other parts, and Nissan needs to issue recalls on this car. Problem # / date / problem / solution #1 1/31/08/service engine soon (ses) light/recall R0712 reprogram ECM (update of the software). Evap leak (#1), resecure fuel cap #2 8/23/08/ses/idle air control reset (#1): Performed idle air relearn, reset ECM set idle, adjust idle control valve. $165 #3 1/9/09/car won't start/codes P0605, PO183, P2128, P1229, P0122. Replace ECM unit (#1) due to pulling too many codes // main harness pin test, repair fuel pump wire in main harness, $449 #4 1/28/09/ses / code P0455 evap gross leak (#2). Repair fuel lines, replace "O" ring, $302. #5 6/6/09/ses, stalls on highway / code P1456 evap very small leak (#3), recurred gas cap. #6 7/12/09/ses, no power / code PO233, replace throttle chamber (#1) #7 7/21/09/ses/code P1456 evap small leak (#4), replaced vent control valve #8 7/28/09/car shuts off in traffic / performed air idle learn (#2) #9 12/2/09/car shifting hard / santa monica Nissan determines there is no communication between the sensor and the ECM (computer), which means it's an electrical problem, and they want to do a pin test for $575 #10 12/7/09/ses/replaced throttle assembly (#2) #11 12/24/09/ses/replace radiator #12 4/24/10/ses/diagnostics showed tp sensor, performed idle control learn volume (#3) #13 5/12/10/ses, car stalls / replace throttle body sensor (#3) #14 11/6/10/ses/repaired ground wire at ECM #15 11/16/10/car shuts off in traffic / replace ECM, charge $111.50 for car rental I have a document with more info and receipts I can email, fax or send to you.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 282003

Sentra 4-cyl

Multiple complaints; none mentione din summmary.

- Orem, UT, USA

Feb 012003

Sentra 4-cyl

I bought a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R spec-V and in the one year that I had the vehicle, I've had a couple of things replaced due to defective parts. First, I had problems starting the vehicle and it was later determined that it was the fuel pump. Then they had to replace the clutch bearing because of some noise while shifting. Then they had to replace the cam sensor as the vehicle did not start one day. The vehicle constantly loses oil and one time it was bone dry after 3,500 miles. This seems like a constant problem for this model based on previous complaints. All in all, poor manufacturing of the engine components. After the floor mat recall, they replaced the floor mats and secured it to the carpet. Now, the carpet gets caught on the clutch pedal, so I have to shift the floor mats all the time.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Mar 012003

Sentra 4-cyl

While on a major highway at 4:30pm driving about 60 mph, the accelerator stuck causing the 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R to accelerate uncontrollably. The floor mat had come loose and jammed the accelerator. I had to shift to and kick the pedal loose. Very nearly caused a major accident. This fault was the subject of an earlier recall, but the solution by Nissan does not solve the problem. The floor mat easily comes off the puny little peg on the floor.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012002

Sentra

While driving 15 mph engine surged up to 30-35 mph, and consumer lost control, hitting telephone pole. Engine light was illuminating. Dealer contacted.

- Rotter Dam Junction, NY, USA

Dec 012001

Sentra

The throttle got stuck wide open, the floor mats are not secured enough which cause the problem, if this happens to a inexperienced driver they could be killed very easily!

- Grass Valley, CA, USA