8.9

$3,810

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (8 reports)
  3. buy new transmission (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Sentra:

Sep 012017

Sentra 2.0L

• CVT transmission

The transmission overheats when traveling over 60 MPH. It burns too much gas and runs at 3,000 RPM. Once overheated it won't drive at all until the transmission cools down. There should be a recall.

- James F., Raleigh, NC, US

Apr 272018

Sentra SR 2.0L

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

transmission failure

"CVT TRANSMISSION ISSUES"

2012 Nissan Sentra SR 2.0L with 103,000 miles on the vehicle and maintained adequately since getting the vehicle in 2013. For the last six months, I have been experiencing my vehicle loss of acceleration on only being able to go 10 MPH max when my vehicle goes into LIMP Mode. This happens to me on the Interstate 64 Westbound from Richmond, VA to Harrisburg, VA going uphill where I was going 70 - 75 MPH when the vehicle loss acceleration and my speed dropped dramatically almost causing a wreck.

This is due to being in the left lane and having nowhere, I could pull off the Interstate readily available. To me, this is a significant safety concern as this is happening now after being driven for 30 minutes to an hour. Took the vehicle to Midas where I had them run a diagnostic test on the car to see if there are any codes on the car since there is "NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON."

The technician came back with the following: 'TECH FOUND THAT THE CVT TRANSMISSION IS HAVING INTERNAL PROBLEMS-VEHICLE US NOT SAFE TO DRIVE. TECH FOUND CODE P1722 EST VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL, P0744 AT TR SW FUNCTION, P1778 STEP MOTOR. Also, VEHICLE NEEDS FRONT STRUTS AND REAR SHOCKS - NO CONTROL OF STEERING WHEEL.’

It appears Nissan has had problems with the CVT Transmission from their 2007 - 2010 Sentra and issued an extended ten year - 120,000 miles warranty. Nissan needs to extend the warranty to every year that Nissan has used the CVT Transmission as they are unreliable and eventually will cause a fatal accident on the highways with their transmission going into LIMP Mode.Would like my vehicle added to the CVT Extended Warranty - 10 years + 120,000 miles since my vehicle is experiencing the same issues as the 2007 - 2010 vehicles.

Update from May 8, 2018: CVT TRANSMISSION CRAP reported the issue yesterday with the sentra going into LIMP mode at any time without warning dropping from 70 mph to 10 mph. Codes P0744, P1722, P1788 transmission codes. P0744 means you have to buy a whole new torque converter solenoid unit as you cannot just replace the solenoid. Cost of the unit $1,116.00. The P1788 code is the Step Motor that is inside the transmission. AAMCO will not even rebuild the CVT transmission. They told me cheaper to buy another transmission than to fix this one.

Time Nissan is held accountable for cutting corners on their transmissions in order to make profit. They are held accountable for the 2007 - 2010 cars, time to add 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - ? since CVT Transmissions are junk.

Daughter Sentra only has 103,000 miles on it and well taken care of. For a car to go into LIMP mode with no warning is waiting for a fatal crash. Luckily this did not happen to my daughter. Appears the extended warranty Nissan placed on 2007 - 2010 models experiencing the same problems my daughter has with her Sentra.

She graduated college and now is faced with a 2000+ bill for a repair since she cannot afford a car payment yet. What a way to welcome someone to the real world after graduating from college 3 days ago.

- taylorva, Warrenton, VA, US

Dec 212017

Sentra SE 2.5L

I will never buy another Nissan car again. My transmission went out after 65,000 miles. The warranty covers up to 60,000. I understand car transmissions go out and things happen, but this is the second time something has conveniently gone out right after the warranty was up. I spoke to Nissan and they offered to give me $1,000 to help pay for my transmission, which was nice but I wanted them to cover it all. Then my bill still came out, I was left with days of not calling back which extended my rental car bill. I am furious. I purchased this car with 25,000 miles hoping it wouldn't cause any issues until later (which I would of been ok with). I suggest not purchasing a vehicle within Nissan, they are cheap and unhelpful.

- Madeline A., Roswell, US

Aug 202017

Sentra 2.0L

• CVT transmission

I bought a 2012 Nissan Sentra off a Nissan Dealership in Fremont, Ca, virtually brand new. I'm the only owner. This car has never been driven out of the Bay Area, well-maintained. On August 2017, the car suddenly stalled. The engine still turns on, but when you shift to drive, the car does not move - but instead makes this high-pitched whirring noise. Since we were stranded on the side of the road, we call a mechanic to see if they can figure out what was wrong, and we were told - the transmission's busted. I was so mad...how can a brand new car not last over 5 years? I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey and a 2008 Toyota Highlander -both older and with more mileage on them, and still in good running condition? This Nissan only has 46,200 miles on it for God's sake.

I went back to Nissan Fremont and presented my problem to them. Warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. I was just over 2 months since I bought that car in May -fully paid in advance mind you. I talked to a service representative, NICOLE HERRERA, who said, she will email Nissan and will get back to me. She called the next day, saying, her manager is involved and should have an answer tomorrow or the next day. It's been 4 weeks now. SHE NEVER CALLED BACK, NEVER RETURNED ALL MY CALLS. We even went back to the dealership and was told it was her day off, that no one can help us but her, but - they will let her know we stopped by -AND STILL NO CALL FROM NICOLE HERRERA. FREMONT NISSAN CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS BIG TIME! They are only interested in selling you something..helping customers after? Forget it! Nicole Herrera had quoted us $5000 for parts and labor, but we had insisted she contact Nissan first. I guess this means that ug she can't get my money, she's not helping. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH FREMONT NISSAN EVER - PUBLIC BEWARE!!!

Of course, I then emailed Nissan, and guess what??? It's been 2 weeks and I have not received any reply. I DEEPLY REGRETTED BUYING A NISSAN. And worst, I bought a Nissan Versa 2014 brand new - and I keep thinking, how long will this transmission last? ALL MY CHILDREN, FAMILY, FRIENDS had heard my gripe, and believe me - we will NEVER BUY A NISSAN AGAIN. NOT IN THIS LIFETIME. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE - now I have a JUNK car in my garage! Grrrr...!!!

- Lynn O., Union City, US

Jul 152017

Sentra EX 2.2L

• CVT transmission

I bought this certified pre-owned Nissan Sentra with 51k miles in 2014, from HERTZ CAR SALES. The transmission went out TOTALLY when the car hit 63k miles in 2014. Was still under extended warranty...so Nissan in Downey CA replaced it with a brand new one. Now it's 55k miles later on the new transmission and it needs another NEW TRANSMISSION, AGAIN!! This means it needs 3

transmissions in 119000 MILES??

The warranty is now expired and I called Nissan Consumer at Corporate and they will NOT HELP ME with anything $$. Nissan in Downey quoted me $4300 for new CVT transmission.

Very unhappy and will seek legal help. Nissan knows they have a CVT problem and are acting all innocent even though the internet is full of people complaining about the CVT transmissions.

Stay tuned.... this will not be the end of this!!

- Maria G., Chino, US

Apr 302017

Sentra 2.0s

• CVT transmission

Purchased car from an individual who had taken care of the car; oil changed every 3k miles, etc. It had 58k miles on it when I purchased it; three weeks later the car left me. Had it towed to a local auto shop and was told they could not do anything because it had the transmission was CVT. Contacted the original dealer, Sheehy Nissan in Mechanicsville, VA and was told it was still under the manufacturer's power train warranty; had it towed 70 miles to the dealership; after they found out it needed a new transmission, they told me, "oops...it's not under warranty." It cost me $3650.00 and they can't even tell me why the transmission went out.

- Lynn M., Kilmarnock, VA, US

Apr 222017

Sentra

I was driving home, just fine when all of a sudden my car went to like 3mpg. I tried pressing the pedal full throttle and it still would not go. There was a lot of traffic so I immediately turned on my warning lights, I had to get my car towed and now I have to come up with money which I don't have to get my car fixed. I always get my car serviced so there is no need for this problem.

Nissan needs to get this situation resolved and the customers who have complained need to get compensated. I am pretty sure that if I get this resolved I will no longer buy a Nissan and inform my family & friends of this problem so none of them purchase a Nissan.

- Jen V., Chimayo, US

Mar 252017

Sentra B 2.0L

• CVT transmission

Driving along and lost all power, no forward or reverse, no warning, no lights, just dead in the water, almost got rear ended. Nissan says youre on your own with an internal failure, 3800.00 to fix. All I can say is to anyone, don't make the mistake I did, never buy a Nissan or as a matter of fact don't buy any vehicle that has a cvt transmission. Lesson learned.

- burke1964, Jeffersonville, US

Feb 242017

• CVT transmission

The issue first started last summer. I had a car full of 4 teenagers and we were heading out of town and the engine began a loud whistle sounds and then the gas pedal quit working - we limped off the highway after almost getting hit and got a tow truck and rental car. The mechanic had us pay for a whole new motor. We thought the issue was fixed.

Then a couple months later I again had 4 teenagers in my car heading out of town and the whistle noise started about an hour into the trip. Then it got louder. Then the car would decelerate going uphill. Then, as we got to the next exit, the gas pedal stopped working completely. We again almost died, barely made it to the gas station and realized there was an auto zone next door. So we went and had the codes read as the check engine light had just popped on...when I turned the car back on, everything worked fine but it had sat for 30 minutes.

Research led us to the CVT issues with an extended warranty that had passed. We tried a transmission cooling device and did not drive the car over an hour. BUT this past week I tried again with 2 teenagers in my car...one hour in to a trip, it happened again. This is not ok for a car transmission to decelerate and put my children and my life at risk.

- Shari D., Spring Hill, TN, US

Aug 232016

Sentra SR 1.8L

• CVT transmission

Originally had to have car towed to dealer because they did not return the wheel lock the last time they serviced it (100% dealer serviced car) so tow truck driver could not change a flat tire. While there getting tire replaced, dealer stated that the transmission was making loud whining sound, so they test drove it. Dealer stated the transmission stopped working and car would not move so had to have it towed back to dealer. Dealer informed me that car needed new transmission. When I balked at the price for a new transmission (about $4500, which was the same as the trade-in value of the car), they offered to install a used transmission with a 36K mile warranty for about $3200. I complained about the transmission failing at under 100K on the speedometer (I could understand if it failed at 150K or higher), and dealer suggested I contact Nissan Corporate. I did so, requesting that they at least partially cover the cost of the repair due to early transmission failure, and a few days later received a call stating that my request was denied.

- fredva, Fredericksburg, VA, US

Apr 302016

Sentra

I am not sure why Nissan would charge me to get a new transmission when it was apparently a known issue that they've been having with 2012 Nissan Sentra's.

- 123bhtl, Lombard, IL, US