9.2

$3,940

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Sentra:

Mar 172019

Sentra 1.8L

• CVT transmission

I bought the car with 12,000 miles expecting the vehicle to last. The transmission failed at the end of a long road trip. My brother has a 2014 Nissan Sentra with more miles on it and his vehicle shuttered and bogged down. I thought I was lucky that my transmission didn't do any of those things. HIs transmission is still declining, and mine has failed with relatively no warning. I had an understanding that these transmissions were terrible when, the one in my brother's car was acting up but, I did not realize mine would be affected as well.

I contacted Nissan America about the problem, and the vehicle was out of warranty. The dealership charged me 4,109 dollars for the repair. I would have accepted a 50 % markdown on the price of the repair. Since I did not, I contacted Stern Law PLLC. https://www.nissantransmissionproblems.com/ with hopes of rectifying an unjust situation.

- Kevin S., Durham, NC, US

Nov 122018

Sentra SV Luxury

• CVT transmission

My 2013 Nissan Sentra started making a strange sound in November 2018. Once I inquired about it at my local Nissan Dealer (who had done ALL of the servicing on this car since I purchased it new) they said it was my transmission and it would have to be fully removed from my car and a new one replaced (AKA, a death sentence for my car). Apparently this is how they have installed the CVT transmissions and decided it was a good idea!!! The car only had 73,113 km and was just outside of the warranty period by a few months (so it wasn't even 6 years old).

Nissan quoted me a cost of $5000 (because I was just outside of my warranty) so I went to an outside transmission mechanic who said he may be able to rebuild the transmission but would cost me over $3000 at a minimum. I also went to Nissan Canada who also said I was outside of the warranty so it was my issue. Instead, I found a dealer from another company who purchased the car (I was upfront and honest about the issue) and never even bothered to get it fixed myself. Why allow Nissan to have any more of my money??

I've since learned about how common this issue is for this year of car and find it unbelievable that a recall was never done on these cars. As a buyer beware, I wouldn't purchase another Nissan if it was the last car on earth! I'm now very skeptical about CVT transmissions in general and wonder about what people will do if they cannot afford another vehicle and they are outside of their warranty.

- sarav, St. John's, NL, Canada

Mar 152019

Sentra SV 1.8L

• CVT transmission

Around 3/13/2019 my husband and I noticed the RPM was not coming down from 3.5 to 4. We went to the Nissan Dealer in Middletown, CT where we purchased the Nissan Sentra SV and we have done any service since we purchased it.

They charged me $149 to give us a diagnose which were almost 100% it was the transmission. After the service person came and told us that our car needed a new transmission and because we were members of Nissan they were going to do us a favor and instead of charging us for 15 hours or labor they were going to charges only for 10 hours. Also that the guarantee for the new transmission was going to be 12,000 miles or one year. We were shocked when he told us that. I asked him if the transmission was brand new and he informed us it was. I said to him why would you give us only 12,000 miles in a brand new transmission, that make no sense since the one the car came with was brand new and we had a little over 100,000 miles in it.

He told us that was the best they can do for us. After taking to some family members they suggested to call AMCCO Transmission which we did. I called and talk to Eric, he offer to check our transmission at no charge. I explained that Nissan already gave us a diagnose. He told us that sometimes since all these new cars are computerized it could be something more simple that just the transmission.

He sent a tow company to pick up the car and did the diagnose at no charge to us. He was very professional. Also he offered us 50,000 miles or 3 years guarantee for $3,900.00 which was double the amount of miles and years Nissan dealer offered us.

After getting the transmission fixed with them and getting it back we learned the transmission they installed is a remanufactured transmission they purchased from the Nissan dealer. I couldn't believe that Nissan will send someone else a transmission with more guarantee that what they will offer their members.

I just learned today 3/24/2019 that there has been a recall for Nissan's cars related to transmissions. If that is the case I want to get reimburse the $3,900.00 we had to pay out of pocket.

Please advise.

- medinac, New Britain, US

Mar 192019

Sentra

I bought this car in 2013 brand new and you mean to tell me a damn transmission only lasts six damn years is a bunch of bullshit. They throw these damn cars together just to get your ass roped in. It's not fair for me or anyone to have to pay for their mistake. I had a Chevrolet for thirteen years, no major problems. I will never ever buy another Nissan and will let everyone I know not to ever buy a Nissan. It's not worth the headache, just bullshit. And then after the warranty is up, they want you to pay for another warranty because I feel they knew this sh*t was going to happen.

- Sandra F., Birmingham, AL, US

Nov 262018

Sentra 1.8L

• CVT transmission

Was attempting a left hand turn in my 2013 Nissan Sentra, when it went in shutdown mode. Luckily there wasn't any traffic coming so I was able to coast out of the intersection and get off the road. Took it to a local Nissan dealership and they confirmed it was a complete failure. There is no fix for it so a total replacement was required. Call Nissan and opened a case and they covered 60% of the $4500 making my portion $1800. I am hoping at some point they will extend the transmission warranty to 10 years, 120,000 miles like they have for other make/model/years. I missed the 5 year warranty by 4 months.

- Kirk F., Phoenix, US