8.8

$3,540

Most common solutions:

1. transmission replacement (18 reports)
  2. replaced transmission (16 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Sentra:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Apr 252018

Sentra SV 1.8L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Taking the car on a road trip and only after 3 hours of driving to fill the car up, the car would die after trying to accelerate. The car would rev up real high when going past 45mph and then the whole transmission would completely die off. This was very dangerous as I was trying to get on the highway. Luckily there was no other cars around and I managed to get off the road.

When the car was towed to the dealership, the service advisor said that they wanted to completely replace the transmission because they had spare ones, but after calling Nissan headquarters they didn't have approval to put in a new transmission but instead were told to replace the parts, which they didn't have. Because of this, I had to stay overnight and wait till the transmission parts arrived.

I've heard that this is a common problem with Nissan's JATCO transmissions and that Nissan dealerships would actually have spare transmissions in the parts department because of these failures. It was cheap of Nissan headquarters to make the dealership get new parts and make me wait an extra day even when the dealership had a spare ready for me and could've gotten me out on the same day.

- krono3457, Phoenix, US

Mar 242016

Sentra SR

I live in San Antonio and took a trip to Dallas, Texas which is about 300 miles. We had a short visit and on the return home the vehicle seemed to be losing power. The more I gave it gas the more it seemed to just rev until I had the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it wouldn't accelerate anymore. We ended up getting stranded in Waco which is about 90 miles south of Dallas in the evening while trying to find a tow truck and a way to get back home. It took about a week turn around time because I had to leave the vehicle in Waco and then find a ride back when the job was done. Ended up paying out of pocket for the towing.

- ultragd3, San Antonio, US

Apr 122019

• CVT transmission

Very frustrating that the transmission has gone out on this car at 106K and to find out that Nissan's cvt transmissions are notorious for failing and that they refuse to take any responsibility to even replace or discount a replacement for their shoddy product. I called Nissan and they refused to take any responsibility.

- Michele C., Frisco, US

Jul 122019

Sentra SR 1.6L

• CVT transmission

Had a 2007 Sentra that the transmission went on at 129,000. That year had an extended warranty to 120K so nothing was covered. Bought this 2014 and was told the next generation CVT's were fine. Luckily I bought a 3rd party warranty when my 60K coverage was up and my mechanical breakdown coverage ended at 100K. Took 2 weeks to get approved but finally got a "renewed" transmission installed. Absolutely rediculous that Nissan will not recognize that the CVT's are garbage and repair them for everyone. Warranty covered the transmission but still out of pocket for over $1K for deductible and rental expense. my dealership service department is excellent but I still will never buy another Nissan. This is my 3rd and last Sentra. Also should mention that family has had almost a dozen different Nissans over the years. No more for me though.

- Patrick R., Stamford, CT, US

Aug 022019

Sentra SR 1.8L

• CVT transmission

The car broke down at a major intersection. It was awful.

- William H., York, US

Jan 232018

• CVT transmission

Transmission failure #3 of 5 for this car. This transmission was installed from another Nissan Sentra and had only 500 miles on it at the time of install. Like the original transmission on this vehicle it only made it about 12-14k miles before it to died. This was replaced by the shop that installed it under the parts warranty.

Nov 202017

• CVT transmission

Transmission failure #2 of 5 for this car. This transmission was the 2nd one to fail this particular transmission was installed by Nissan after the first one failed around 13-14k miles. I could not afford the to have Nissan replace my transmission at $5000.

Feb 132018

• CVT transmission

Transmission failure #4 of 5 for this car. This transmission was the 4th one to fail. This one replaced by the shop that had installed #3 under the part warranty. This transmission had 30k miles on it when installed and only made 1-2k more in my car

Oct 162014

• CVT transmission

I might have the date and milage not exact but this was the 1st transmission of 5 I had fail on this vehicale

Apr 152019

• CVT transmission

A few months ago I purchased a 2014 Nissan Sentra from Premier Automotive in Milford Ohio. I also paid for the "bumper to bumper" warranty to give me peace of mind in case something needed repaired or replaced. My transmission started acting weird not long after I left the lot. It got progressively worse each day. The RPM's were going crazy!

I took it to a transmission repair shop to get it fixed. They told me that it needed replaced. The warranty company is "REFUSING" to pay for it. What good is a warranty is it doesn't cover anything. This is garbage because a normal transmission should not fail in 5 years and only 73,000 miles. The dealership did not tell me that there were transmission issues.

- Larry B., Beavercreek, US

Mar 182019

Sentra

NISSAN SENTRA IS A CRAPPY CAR NOT WORTH BUYING. TRANSMISSION IS A PIECE OF CRAP, DEALERSHIP WON'T REPLACE IT BECAUSE IT'S A LITTLE OVER MILEAGE. SECOND NISSAN I BOUGHT. FIRST ONE WAS ALTIMA CATALYTIC CONVERTER KEEP GOING BAD ON IT. FINALLY GOT RID OF IT. NOW THIS SENTRA IS NOT WORTH IT. NISSAN NEEDS TO STAND BY THEIR CARS AND RECALL THEIR CVT TRANSMISSION OR CLOSE THEIR DOORS. THEIR CARS ARE WORTHLESS. NEVER GET AN ANOTHER NISSAN. SHOVE IT NISSAN, WORTHLESS PIECE OF JUNK. NISSAN ONLY OUT TO TAKE PEOPLES MONEY, DO NOT BUY THESE CARS ONLY MONEY PROBLEMS.

- Mary C., Concord, US

Sentra S 1.8L

• CVT transmission

How do you join this lawsuit... ? These transmissions are junk. I was told by a service tech that Nissan has changed the design 6 times to improve the mistakes... So Nissan clearly accepts that there was a problem but will do nothing in helping people who currently have a car with a failing cvt transmission! When I asked the tech why I should put another cvt transmission in it that will end up failing is when he told me that they have improved it from 2014. Clearly Nissan does not stand behind their product if you go over the manufactured warranty of 60000 miles. So basically I take that as, "Hey, get an extended warranty because these cars cant be trusted after 60000"...??? I have vehicles that have over 200000 miles on them. Same transmissions!! Nissan clearly is making mistakes and not wanting to do anything about it. The only time it will be recalled is if it is a safety issue?? I think that going down the highway not knowing when your cvt transmission is going to rev up or slow down is a huge safety issue! They have what is called a "Good Will Program", where they decide whether or not to help you! If you are over the manufactured warranty tho they will not.. In my case I am at 86000. They would not tell me tho how many miles over the warranty they "chose" to help or not help. I cant afford a $4000 cvt transmission that wont last me 1 year until it might go out again! That means my 2014 Sentra I would of paid 120000 for! (it was used when I purchased it). It is rediculous and they should be held accountable ! It isn't like 1 to 1000 people are experiencing this problem! Its a lot more! Most of us probably bought this car for fuel economy and for that maybe it means we drive a lot for our jobs. So why wouldn't we expect a car that comes with a 60 month payment plan to outlast the payment book!!

- Veronica C., Tiffin, OH, US

Sentra

How do i join the class action suit that is currently going on?? Please let me know. Please contact me.

- Terry M., Lumberton, US

Nov 012018

Sentra S 1.8L

• CVT transmission

I change the transmission for the first time when it was 60,000 miles. Fortunately, the warranty covered the problem. 1 year and 50000 miles later the same transmission requested another replacement. Although I flushed the transmission once in between the last replacement, the dealer was not taking the warranty into account. I do not recommend this car for any kind of ride share.

- Mikhael C., Kenosha, WI, US

Mar 182018

Sentra SR 1.8L

• CVT transmission

The transmission failed and I had to replace it. BALLS!

- Eliseo L., Adelanto, CA, US

Sep 012018

Sentra VS 1.8L

MY NISSAN SENTRA 2014 started to have problems with jerking and now my car does not move at all. This is horrible. Would not advise you to buy this car.

- Kailaun M., Sacramento, CA, US

Sentra SV 1.8L

• CVT transmission

3 YEARS OLD. Car ran great and then done. Just like that transmission was toast. It was taken for routine maintenance to the dealership, maintained fluids, everything you are supposed to do, and now I have a $5,000 brick. The car is essentially totaled. It's worth the same or less than what the cost of the new transmission will be. This is the equivalent of a scam. They might as well be selling them as old used flood cars If they are not going to last more than a couple of years brand new. Who can afford to waste money like that, and because of the defects if you buy one you are stuck paying more money back to Nissan dealerships to fix them so they make even more money. It's a scam of disproportionate levels. I'm only mad that I didn't find this sooner. I will be looking at this for all future cars. So mad.

Never buy NISSAN. :(

- TY G., Tully, NY, US

Apr 302018

Sentra FE+ SV 1.8L Dohc 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Transmission is defective, but Nissan doesn't cover it. When there's a known defect, they should pay for it, or at least help out because the car has been used. CVT transmission is known to fail. Maybe there needs to be a lawsuit for Sentras too.

- Stephanie M., Apache Junction, AZ, US

Jul 302018

Sentra SR 1.8L 4

• CVT transmission

This is a barely 4 year old car with 54k miles on it and the POS CVT transmission went out. What more do I need to say? Nissan appears to be selling a known bad transmissions and won't admit it. The only reason I don't care too much, is because the dealership I bought it from has a free lifetime power-train warranty with all new cars.

- Jason S., Overland Park, KS, US

Jul 242018

Sentra SV 1.8L

• CVT transmission

I bought this car with 36,000 miles on it and from the time I drove it off the lot, I had tire issues, sensor issues. Even after the air was checked in the tires to make sure they were inflated properly, the sensor still came on over and over. I even took it to get checked and there was no problem with the sensor..paid $60..:( and now seat belt issues. At 50,224 miles the transmission went out. I bought this car to get away from car repair issues. Thank goodness the transmission was still under the 60,000 mile warranty, so got it fixed right away, but I will tell you I don't feel comfortable driving my own car because I am afraid I will get stuck again somewhere. Bye, bye Nissan and hello Toyota or Honda... trading in this cheap car like yesterday.. frustrated.

- Esther D., Los Angeles, CA, US