8.7

$3,510

Most common solutions:

1. transmission replacement (14 reports)
  2. replaced transmission (6 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Sentra:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Mar 182018

Sentra SR 1.8L

• CVT transmission

The transmission failed and I had to replace it. BALLS!

- Eliseo L., Adelanto, CA, US

Sep 012018

Sentra VS 1.8L

MY NISSAN SENTRA 2014 started to have problems with jerking and now my car does not move at all. This is horrible. Would not advise you to buy this car.

- Kailaun M., Sacramento, CA, US

Oct 012018

• CVT transmission

3 YEARS OLD. Car ran great and then done. Just like that transmission was toast. It was taken for routine maintenance to the dealership, maintained fluids, everything you are supposed to do, and now I have a $5,000 brick. The car is essentially totaled. It's worth the same or less than what the cost of the new transmission will be. This is the equivalent of a scam. They might as well be selling them as old used flood cars If they are not going to last more than a couple of years brand new. Who can afford to waste money like that, and because of the defects if you buy one you are stuck paying more money back to Nissan dealerships to fix them so they make even more money. It's a scam of disproportionate levels. I'm only mad that I didn't find this sooner. I will be looking at this for all future cars. So mad.

Never buy NISSAN. :(

- TY G., Tully, NY, US

Apr 302018

Sentra FE+ SV 1.8L Dohc 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Transmission is defective, but Nissan doesn't cover it. When there's a known defect, they should pay for it, or at least help out because the car has been used. CVT transmission is known to fail. Maybe there needs to be a lawsuit for Sentras too.

- Stephanie M., Apache Junction, AZ, US

Jul 302018

Sentra SR 1.8L 4

• CVT transmission

This is a barely 4 year old car with 54k miles on it and the POS CVT transmission went out. What more do I need to say? Nissan appears to be selling a known bad transmissions and won't admit it. The only reason I don't care too much, is because the dealership I bought it from has a free lifetime power-train warranty with all new cars.

- Jason S., Overland Park, KS, US

Jul 242018

• CVT transmission

I bought this car with 36,000 miles on it and from the time I drove it off the lot, I had tire issues, sensor issues. Even after the air was checked in the tires to make sure they were inflated properly, the sensor still came on over and over. I even took it to get checked and there was no problem with the sensor..paid $60..:( and now seat belt issues. At 50,224 miles the transmission went out. I bought this car to get away from car repair issues. Thank goodness the transmission was still under the 60,000 mile warranty, so got it fixed right away, but I will tell you I don't feel comfortable driving my own car because I am afraid I will get stuck again somewhere. Bye, bye Nissan and hello Toyota or Honda... trading in this cheap car like yesterday.. frustrated.

- Esther D., Los Angeles, CA, US

Apr 102018

Sentra

After 4 years and $5,000 away from paying off my 2014 Nissan Sentra I started having issues with the transmission. The car went to the dealership and after a transmission service and THEN a diagnostic test to see what is wrong with the vehicle, the advisor says that I need a new transmission. This is completely unacceptable and I refuse to spend another penny on any type of work for that car-concerning the transmission.

I heard that Nissan has major problems with the Nissan transmission for the 2014's and don't know how to fix the problem. What they do know, is to let the vehicle owner drown in their sewer of transmission problems. I will be contacting Nissan directly and will more than likely follow up legally.

- susanlara, El Paso, US

Jun 192017

Sentra SL

• CVT transmission

I hate this car, such a lemon!! Never will buy a Nissan again!

- Jessica A., Canyon Country, CA, US

Jun 222018

Sentra SV 4 Cyclinder

WHEN I START THE CAR AND PUT IT IN DRIVE, IT DOES NOT MOVE. WHEN I PUT IT IN REVERSE, IT STILL DON'T MOVE.

- Wayne P., Brooklyn, Ny, US

Jul 012018

• CVT transmission

I can't get real information from Nissan to admit the CVT is defective..

- Alton S., Austin, US

May 172018

Sentra SV

• CVT transmission

this shouldn't happen to a car under 100,000 miles, and there nothing you can do but fix it.

- vidafaye48, johnston, US

Apr 162018

Sentra LX 3.2L

I received my 2014 Nissan Sentra January 2015 and only used it to run errands and the mileage was 38,000. I started doing Lyft January 2018 and the mileage increased to 68,000 by the time my transmission went out while I had two customers in the car on April 16, 2018 - this is right after I had an oil change on April 14, 2018. I was quoted a price to replace the transmission of $3,600. The manager at the Shell gas station on N. Druid Hills stated the Nissan Sentra has this as a common problem with the transmission. Researching now for lemon laws in GA to file lawsuit.

- Elliot B., Atlanta, US

Mar 152018

• CVT transmission

I have a 2014 Nissan Sentra with 98,000 miles on it. This past Thursday (3/15/18) it felt as if the car was stuttering, slamming, and a couple of times wouldn't even engage the engine and the RPM's keep revving up. Did some research and saw all the complaints and issues regarding the CVT not to mention the lawsuit filed Pinto of Montville Inc. v. Nissan North America, Inc.

I contacted Nissan Corporate and filed my complaint and was instructed that the CVT was not covered under any type of recall or campaign. I took it to the dealer who advised I had a P0846 code and that it would cost me over $5000.00 to replace the transmission. This car is way to new to have to have the transmission replaced or any major issues really. Is there any other places to complain? A way to get involved with the lawsuit? This is unacceptable! I've always respected Nissans and the Sentra is a great car so far MINUS this BS!!!

- Jimmy W., Austin, US

Oct 042017

Sentra SR 1.8L

• CVT transmission

CVT transmission failed on 10/4/17 Had 2 separate diagnosis done one at an independent shop an second at Nissan dealership. My hope were that once I could have a Nissan Technician diagnose the problem then I could take that to Nissan Corporate U.S.A. That fell on deaf ears as of course I'm way over in mileage and out of warranty. I realize that's an absorbent amount of miles, however I have done the recommended transmission service on the vehicle and that is a testament to it making it to that amount of miles. I had hoped for a much longer vehicle life since the recommended maintenance has been done.

Nissan needs to recall all these vehicles regardless of miles as they are extremely problematic and far from reliable. These CVT need to either be re-thought and or redesigned or completely scrapped. I've had no other issues with this car and it is well taken care of but this transmission can't even be repaired by Nissan. Remove and replace only. And with another under manufactured CVT? No thanks. This will be the last Nissan I buy.

- maj_65, Burleson, US

Jan 092018

Sentra LX

I am really disappointed that my car is having issues with the transmission. The car is a 2014 and already we need to replace the transmission! I will never buy another Nissan again.

- Melinda M., Arlington, US

Jan 252018

Sentra SL 1.8L

• CVT transmission

After reading the comments from others on this site regarding the 2014 Sentra Transmission problems, it's become evident that this is really a safety issue for Nissan. Regardless if under warranty or not. I was traveling at 65 mph when my transmission let go. Only being an experienced driver who has encountered issues before, did I make the right choice to pull off the road. I had not warning this would happen, and I'm really upset since I bought this car new. It cost $4179, to replace the transmission. I hope others will hear the warning signs from those of us who have to contend with this situation. Right now it is a throw of the dice whether or not this car will last for any extended period of time.

- Terence B., Waynesboro, US

Sep 122017

Sentra SL

• CVT transmission

The car started shifting hard/shuddering when accelerating from a stop or in between gears on the highway. I had four different mechanics drive it to determine the issue, including one Nissan technician and they all agreed that 1) it was a bad transmission and needed to be replaced, 2) it was pretty early in the car's life for the transmission to be failing (it started around 95,000 miles), and 3) Nissan should issue a recall for this since all four mechanics have seen multiple newer-model Nissans with CVT issues that warrant a replacement. I was very lucky that the transmission never failed while I was driving, and after not having my car for a week and a half, I paid almost $3800 today for a rebuilt transmission to be installed in my car.

I think it's insane that there hasn't been a recall issued for this problem since all the mechanics I spoke to (and many, many message boards regarding Nissans) all seem to be well aware that it's a common problem and should've been fixed a long time ago. Granted, I put a lot of miles on my car in a short amount of time, but because of that (and because I was raised by a mechanic), I made sure to keep up on the maintenance of my car. A transmission beginning to fail before the engine hits 100k miles is ridiculous.

- Sara B., Middletown, CT, US

Jan 082018

Sentra SV 1.8L

My wife drove my car to her office. While she was driving in the 2nd lane from right her car stopped due to traffic. When she started to move her car she failed and the car shut off. She cannot start the car. That was very dangerous because she trapped in the middle of a busy high way, I-75! She might be killed by other cars! She called 511 to help her move the car to a safe place and ask our insurance to tow it to the dealer. She was told the transmission is broken! We can not believe it. I just bought it less than 3 years and only ran less than 40,000 miles. We regularly have it maintained by the dealer.

- Hongwei S., Fort Lauderdale, FL, US

Oct 072017

Sentra SV

• CVT transmission

This was my daughter's first car purchase. We chose Nissan because it had a good reputation. The car was always maintained at the Nissan dealership. We noticed a slight change in how the car was accelerating, but attributed that to change in gas formula for colder climates and that fact that it was not a brand new car.

Driving down the street to an important function with a family with infant twin daughters and the car starts shuddering. Came to a stop and the car started clunking and then shut off. Turned the car back on and it sounded normal, went to shift into Drive and the car shuddered and cut off again. Did that a couple of times with the same result. Finally, I turned the car on, put the gas pedal and then shifted and was able to complete my trip. Had to have my brother follow us home because by that time I was scared to drive it for fear someone would hit me from behind or I would not have control of the vehicle and hit someone.

Had it towed to the dealership and they told me it was the transmission and that it would need to be replaced. Needless to say, the standard warranty expired and we did not purchase an extended warranty. I filed a claim with Nissan. In the meantime, I also spoke with the dealership and they quoted me $3695 to replace. They eventually called me back and offered to replace the transmission (only a 12,000/1 yr. warranty) if we would pay $1000. We had no choice, my daughter needs transportation for work and she still owes $10K on the vehicle, so she can't just walk away.

I had always heard good things about Nissan, but we are sorely disappointed with our experience and will think twice about ever purchasing a Nissan again. I can say, we most definitely will not by one again.

- diva d, Milwaukee, US

Oct 132017

Sentra SR 2.4L

• CVT transmission

My continued post, car had transmission replaced in July and now it is October and yet again the car started slipping, jerking, clunking on the way to work. Once I realized that I wasn’t going to make it there I turned around and headed to the dealer. I literally pulled into their parking lot with my foot all the way to the floor going 5mph. I am going back Monday 10/16/2017 to hear a bunch of bullshit. I purchased this car brand new and still owe 10k on it. I live paycheck to paycheck and I am losing time from my job because this is the only car I have. I should not have to worry about a car that has 40k on it. I’m so scared that either I am going to kill or hurt myself or maybe somebody else. I was in rush hour traffic when this BS happened. Nissan knows that their transmissions are faulty so why in the hell would you keep replacing them with the same damn transmissions. If anyone out there reading this is in Va and knows of anything I can do please let me know. I would be forever grateful!!!

- Mary J., Highland Springs, US