8.5

$3,470

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (19 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Versa:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Dec 012017

Versa SV 1.6L V4

• CVT transmission

Horrible vehicle transmission. The car first started to not want to come down the rpm range but I thought nothing of it. Then the problem progressed to the point where after stopping completely, I would have to slightly accelerate then release the accelerator so that the rpms would drop then reapply the accelerator. Then the car eventually got to the point where the rpms got stuck in the high range and the entire car would shake. I would have to either pull over or put it in neutral, turn the vehicle off, turn it back on and put it in drive then continue. Then it started to get even more horrible and gave a noise upon accelerating as though I had a supercharger in a 2014 Nissan Versa SV. The car would take a few seconds to shift to reverse and would roll forward before doing so. Now the car does not go past 2.5 rpm and the car remains at 18 mph. Taking it back to Carmax tomorrow for repairs. I will update.

- DaMarius T., Jackson, US

Apr 272018

Versa SD

• CVT transmission

I'm blown away that this is a known issue with Nissan, come to find out, with their CVT transmissions. This car is a 2014 with just 90K miles on it and I'm having to replace the transmission. I have owned Toyota's and Honda's and never run into a transmission issue this early. My son's 2008 Camry has 190K and the transmission is still going strong as well as the engine.

- Joe L., Piedmont, US

Dec 152017

• CVT transmission

I can't drive this car but I am still paying a car note. I am driving a rental car. This is a hardship on me as a single mother paying for childcare. I struggle every month to pay bills because I am paying for rental cars and car note at the same time.

- Tequila J., Oakland, CA, US

Apr 012018

Versa SV 1.6L

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN AGAIN. These cars are straight GARBAGE. I have had so many cars in my day and NEVER have I needed a replacement transmission within two years of purchase. Nissan is wrong for this and there should be something we can do. These transmissions are not making it past 100,000 miles on ANY car. Nissan owners: UNITE!!!

- Mieka H., Washington, DC, US

Mar 232018

Versa 1,6

2014 Nissan Versa transmission is gone. When I press on gas it doesn't go. Sometimes stops in the middle of street. I have to turn it off and turn it on again. Took it to the dealer and they said that it will cost me over $4500 to fix the transmission. Ny transmission was gone with only 92300 miles on it.

- Yacine B., San Francisco, CA, US

Sep 052017

Versa SV

• CVT transmission

My car just does not want to go. I step on the gas and it does not want to go. It is really sluggish to the point of not being able to drive it point blank. I still owe 11,562 on this car and cannot afford 4,500 for a new transmission.

- Robin W., Twin Peaks, CA, US

• CVT transmission

Fix the CVT transmission or stop selling cars!!!!!

- Michel M., Kansas City, US

Jun 062016

• CVT transmission

Bought a 2014 Nissan Versa it only had 3 miles on it when we bought it. The transmission went out in it after 2yrs, It only had 74,000 mile. 2 months later 4000 miles, that transmission went out. Now here it is 2 years later, 40,000 miles later. A third transmission is having to be put in. Nissan is only willing to pay 50%. This is ridiculous. All the fluid changes and maintenance was done by the Nissan dealership. Please stay away from Nissan Versa. The transmissions are no good.

- Nate D., Covington, US

Versa

Another 2014 Nissan Versa that needs a new transmission. Had every oil change and maintenance completed at dealership. Babied this car. Unbelievable. Nissan knows of the problems with 2014 Versa transmissions and still has done nothing. So disappointed.

- Michelle M., Kansas City, MO, US

Mar 092017

Versa SV 1.6L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I bought this car almost 2 years ago fully confident that a 2 years old car (with 48,500 miles) wouldn't have any issues. My budget is being so limited after that and when a year later at a mileage between 77,777 and 80,000 the transmission started acting up after momentary stops or when accelerating after slowing down I felt very disappointed, but at that moment I thought that the transmission was requiring a flush, so after some research I found that I was facing a common problem for this kind of transmission in this particular car model, since I don't have the money to buy a new transmission I had to accept living with this problem hopping that Nissan accepts their responsibility and set a recall regarding this problem where they fully cover the costs for their failure consequences. Today my car is at 91,222 miles and luckily the problem hasn't gotten worse, but still there.

- vluis, Baldwin Park, US

Versa

another 2014 Nissan Versa who's transmission went out. Nissan knows about the problems and does nothing.

- Michelle M., Kansas City, MO, US

Jan 052018

• CVT transmission

Bought our 2014 Nissan Versa brand new in 2014. Used ONLY as a Highway commuter vehicle. After a few months of ownership,we were experienced some rather abnormal shakes and shutters of the transmission when accelerating after a complete stop or slow down.

In 2016, we received a "Service Bulletin" stating the CVT or the Transmission Control Module needed reprogrammed. We had the TCM reprogrammed and the shuttering continued and also got worse.

January 2018 (2 years after having the TCM reprogrammed) I took the car in to my personal mechanic for a transmission flush, and was told there were some major issues with the transmission and that I should take it to Nissan because there are many known issues with this Make/Model of vehicle.

After 2 hours of "diagnosing" and paying $145 for this "diagnosis" I was told I am going to need a new transmission at a cost of $3800.00!!! Before he even took the transmission apart! How does this Nissan technician know that I need a new transmission if he hasn't even looked at it yet!? Tuesday he is supposed to give me my "final" "diagnosis" butt says "most likely it will need replaced.

So essentially, we drove this car for two years with a faulty Transmission Control Module, which probably caused major damage to the transmission and now we are being faced with picking up the tab of $3800 on a whole new transmission on a car that is only worth $2,250 at trade in value!

I opened a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs, but from what I'm reading about others experiences, its completely unlikely that they will assume any of the costs for this.

FYI: We are out of the manufacturers warranty period.

The car is only 4 years old and has had ALL the required maintenance--on schedule. There is no reason for a transmission to fail at 100,000 miles. I have owned several commuter vehicles, with many many more miles than this, and have never had to replace the transmission. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves and I am going to let anyone and everyone know about this rip off!

Update from Jan 24, 2018: Update 4 weeks later: Final diagnosis was that I needed a new CVT because there was a build up of contaminates in the transmission oil pan. After talking with a few mechanics, I have learned this is normal, as long as there is not too much. I called the Nissan consumer affairs rep, and they called back a week later to tell me they would pay for 50% of the transmission replacement. I wasn't happy with this, as I think they should assume 100% of this because the damage was incurred as a result of the 2 years of driving before the RECALL for the reprogramming came out.

Within a few hours of learning of their "offer" the service department just so conveniently called and then stated that the "powertrain" department is unwilling to replace the transmission until there is a further diagnosis done. So, Nissan says they will pay 50% of the costs and all of a sudden I don't need a new transmission now? They said they need to "tear down" my CVT to do the "further diagnosis" at a cost of $1,420, which may or may not result in a repair or some type of other repair.

I called the Nissan Consumer Affairs rep back to ask if they are willing to pay for %50 of this new transmission diagnosis/tear down, and I haven't heard back in over a week! I have called 3 times, and left very patient and polite messages, but he will not return my call and I have been without a car for 4 weeks!

This damage to the CVT was caused as a result of driving my car, like normal for 2 years, until the recall came out saying that "if left unrepaired" this will cause a decrease in the durability of your transmission" So, here I sit, with a decrease in the durability of my transmission and Nissan will not assume responsibility for it.

Next step in the Better Business Bureau and that's what I advise everyone with this same issue to do. It only takes a minute.

- boogiferja, Chico, US

Dec 052017

Versa SL 1.6L

• CVT transmission

Nissan CVT transmission failed at 73K. Salesman told me the CVT transmission would last forever. LOL

- Clark V., Del Rio, US

Dec 012017

• CVT transmission

Transmission slipping, not engaging, car jerking. Does not accelerate when pressing gas pedal.

- brother, Los Angeles, US

Jun 032016

Versa S Plus

• CVT transmission

Transmission would slip/jerk from a stop making the entire car shudder, taking it longer than normal to accelerate. Sometimes would happen when giving it gas at low speeds as well. Took car in and left it over night. Next day was told the car needed a new transmission. Was replaced under warranty and car now functions as expected. Only problem for me is that this car only had around 48k miles on it. It's going to be going out of warranty soon. I really don't want to have to spend over $3000 (around a quarter price of what I paid for the car new) to replace the transmission if it goes out again. May just go buy another Versa instead soon. They're dirt cheap and get the job done as a DD. This is the second car I've owned with a CVT transmission and the previous vehicle had the same issue. However, that car (2001 Honda Insight) had 240,000 miles on it before the transmission went out. I may just have too much of a lead foot for CVT equipped cars. ¯/(ツ)

- brandontx, Katy, TX, US

Apr 112017

Versa

I really wish I did more research on this vehicle before purchasing it. I've been looking through tons of websites and have seen review after review of failed transmissions on Nissan Versa cars. What made me most concerned is the review I saw of a woman driving her Nissan Versa at 75mph and the car just completely shut off; Nissan is basically selling a "death wish" to every customer that purchases a Versa. I purchased a brand new 2014 Nissan Versa and currently with only 34,900 miles on the car the transmission is going out and needs to be replaced. I have seen several complaints of this, some saying after 75k miles, but at less than 35k miles the transmission fails? I have never even driven the car out of town; it is simply a commuter car to and from work and small errands around my area. Not only am I livid at the fact that my new car's transmission failed, but then the transmission is being replaced with a refurbished transmission because apparently Nissan does not make new transmissions unless they come in a brand new car...right

I am so upset that this happened. I am mostly upset that Nissan continues to sell these vehicles in these conditions. This was my first ever car purchased, saved up my money working two jobs in college to purchase my first car and this is the end outcome. I will never purchase a Nissan again and I definitely will be taking this matter up further with corporate and anyone else who can get this message out. This isn't a mad customer writing a review because she didn't get her way, this is a concerned customer who feels the need to forewarn others that this car is not the safest and most reliable car for purchase. I hope that more people speak up on this matter so Nissan is held accountable for selling faulty cars/transmissions knowingly.

- bradleya, Richmond, US

Jul 082016

Versa 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

I just don't understand how can a transmission in a new car that I only had for a least a year and the transmission is already gone. I just don't understand how. I make me feel like they fix the car to break down at a certain mileage on your car, because as I was looking I see that when your car get to 70,000 miles your transmission go out. I don't understand that with no warning. My light on my car did not come on until it was too late. The car just stop working in the middle of traffic, I had to get pushed into a driveway of a store and call a tow truck to pick me up. I must have cried for now 3months because I don't have 4,000 dollars to fix my car. I really don't think it is fair that it happens like that. My father is a retired mechanic and he told me that they can fix those cars to happen at anytime, so you would have to come in a buy another car. That is not cool, because what if the person can't afford to come in and just get another car. What do they suppose to do then. Beside the car was still new. I just don't understand how is the possible that most of the people you talk to that has a Nissan versa has the same problem.When I went to the dealership they told me oh your warranty went out went you are 6000 over; so you would have to pay out of pocket. You knew this. I am thinking they fix your warranty like that with 65000 because they know when you get to 70000 your car is going to break down and that is when they say okay they are going to pay the money because they are going to need a car. So, lets fix the car so they can give us more money, That is a new car right there. I think they do that just so, What so we suppose to do if we don't have that kind of money to give? When I brought the car I didn't think I was going to have a major problem like that to occur on a new car. If that was the case I should have just brought a used car. I had a used car that was a 1989 Avalon that lasted me for 11 years never had a problem at all. I am so hurt because I thought it was okay to get a new car and it will be okay for a least 5 years at the most. I am so hurt because I loved my car now I am without a car trying to get to work everyday for the last 4 months since my car stopped. l just need some help some understanding why everybody you talk to that has a Nissan Versa is having the same problem? They don't see it is a problem and it is not going to stop until someone say "Okay this is a problem, Let's work something out". I just want answers and a solution.

Update from Dec 2, 2016: If there anybody out there who is reading this post and know a solution to this that can help me and tell me what to do. I don't have any money to fix a 4000 transmission. That is a down payment on a new car. If I have 4000 I would have went on a tried to get another new car, but I can't afford that. So, I am just stuck. Someone help please.

- LaShun G., Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 032016

Versa 1.6L

How does a 2014 have transmission failure???? Driving at 75 mph. And BOOM NO MORE POWER TO MY DRIVE TRAIN

- Nathaniel W., Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jun 252016

• CVT transmission

The cars transmission started slipping which was overrevving the engine and then went out completely. I am sure this is a common problem on this Versa with the CVT. Nissan knows about this problem and refuses to do anything about. Come on now, a 2 year old car and the transmission goes out. Anybody reading this who has this same problem can contact me through this website. I'd like to get a class action lawsuit going against Nissan for their sh*tty product. I had a similar deal with a Ford transmission in my Aerostar van. It took awhile but Ford went partially good for it. The dealership lied to me and said they didn't know of any others having the same problem, but they had a whole bunch of them sitting there with the tranny out. I feel Nissan should go good for these problems and if you do too, let me know and maybe we can get something going.

- Jim B., Duluth, MN, USA

May 092016

Versa SL

• CVT transmission

I was told at the dealership if I would have come in earlier then they would be able to help me but since my car is no longer under warranty I will need to replace my transmission (~$4,200.00). I do commute a lot 180 miles a day but my car is 3 years old. I had a 2005 Toyota Corolla decided to let it rest from the commute in 2012 and the odometer stopped at 399,999, I never had any issues with the transmission with the Toyota.

I have no clue what I'll do now.... I'm broke, need to pay for a car I can't drive but I can't get to work because NO car! FML

- Jennifer C., Los Banos, CA, USA