Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Pontiac G6:

Mar 252015

G6

Power steering suddenly went out without warning causing an accident where I had to have body work repaired. After picking up from insurance, I dropped it off at sewell GMC dallas to take care of recalls. At that time they said the power steering is in the recall and will be fixed. Once I was called to pick up, they said it was not covered. Every Pontiac G6 has a recall on loss of power steering except mine. I had a wreck because of sudden loss of steering ability. The 2010 model should be included. So many other issues too including low beam harness burning. Mine does that too...no recall. Mainly frustrated that I was told power steering was covered only to find out not.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 242015

G6

My complaint is about a recent issue I had with my vehicle. Upon starting the vehicle the ESC indicator came on and locked the steering wheel in place. This does not happen each time the vehicle was started, but periodically. If the car did start and no light would appear, the steering wheel would shake. The shaking was very very noticeable. We had taken it into our mechanic to have it looked at. When he first started the vehicle the same issue occurred for him that the ESC light had come on and the steering wheel locked in place. He turned the vehicle off and then back on, this time he experienced the shaking steering wheel. Before he would take a further look at it, he looked up the issue on the internet; he found there a recall from GM on the ESC sensor and asked us to take it to our dealer. Upon taking it to the dealer that we were told that even though our vehicle was the same year and make it was not part of the recall. After doing some research on the internet, I find that our vehicle was doing the same thing as the other complaints. We were told our VIN is not part of the recall. I just have a hard time understanding why the same make and model and same issue is not covered. I have a bigger concern over the safely of us driving this vehicle as well as others with the same vehicle if the steering would go out while driving.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Apr 222013

G6

I had an incident in 2013 that might come in to play with a recent recall. I own a 2010 Pontiac G6. As I was driving down a main road traveling at an average speed of 45mph my vehicle became impaired. The dash screen projected service ESC/ low traction. The steering became almost impossible to control and no matter how hard I pushed the gas pedal down the car would not go any faster than 5 mph. The car also became jerky, jerking the whole car back and forth for a moment. I this happen multiple times. I took the car to the GM shop and after changing a lot of parts that didn't need to be changed they finally changed a part called a sensor and that seemed to stop the problem. It seems there is starting to be a recall on this but not my car and I'm not sure why. This isn't the first problem I had with this car sense I got it.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 102015

G6

I am the owner of a 2010 Pontiac G6 with a 4-speed automatic. My car was serviced for a recall in for the transmission shifter cable. To cure the fix the recall(12106) called for a retainer to be added to the cable to prevent the breakage from occurring. Recently not even two years later as I was pulling into my apartment complex driveway the shifter cable broke causing the my steering and drivability to be impaired. I was able to apply the brakes, but I could not drive the vehicle any further. I put the car in park and exited my vehicle to check out the problem as my car started to roll away. I ran to catch the car trying to prevent my car from running into another car, pedestrians and a nearby items. I was injured in the process. The injuries were not life threating, but they consisted of bruising, back injuries and my foot being ran over. My car also has scrapes. If the recall was supposedly fixed then the cable should not have broken that soon or at all putting the car is that state of danger. I contacted the dealership and they said there was nothing they could do. Something is not right here, if they repaired the recall correctly and it was a efficient method this should not of still happen. The fix they did is either only a temporary fix and/ or the method they are using is not effective. Also a possibly there might be other parts of the cable that are defected. GM was very incompliant and did not care to examine or see this matter any further, but if this has happen to me it could also be a serious issue with others still. I had to pay a large amount of money to have the car fixed, but this defect and solution are obviously still not working because this is not a normal breakage for any vehicle....updated 03-23-15 updated 06/09/15

- Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 022015

G6

While traveling in heavy traffic, the power steering failed, extremely hard to turn wheel, brought car to stop. Dash indicated "service ESC", and "power steering". pulled into parking lot, turned off car, and a short time later, restarted car, seemed to work correctly, this happened several more times over the following several days, but would come back after car was shut off and restarted. After a week of this, it happened again, but would not come back after car was reset. Unable to driver car at this time as a result.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Mar 092015

G6

Check engine light went on and the steering locked up and was unable to turn right at a light. Forcefully turning the wheel with great effort I managed to make my way into a grocery store parking lot took a deep breath and turned the car off. Waited several minutes took the key out of the ignition and started the car again the steering was back and I continued on to work reluctantly since I am unsure when and if this is going to happen again.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Mar 052015

G6

Had same issue as other days complaint. This time turning car off and restarting didn't help. Took car straight to shop. Left with the local dealer they called said torque sensor bad same as the 09 recall issue. It's going to cost $517 dollars to fix. General Motors needs to address this issue before someone gets hurt. I need the car to get to and from work so what does a person do but fix and hope it's made part of recall. I own 2 other GM vehicles ready to get rid of them before they start falling apart.

- Bedford, IA, USA

Mar 042015

G6

Has happened multiple times past two weeks. Issue typically occurs at statring of car, once while driving down highway: A chime is heard, the dic displays power steering, the ESC off indicator comes on, and power steering is lost. Turning off car and restarting can reset and power steering works. When power steering is working, the steering wheel shakes while at a stop, can sometimes be felt when driving.

- Amherst, OH, USA

Feb 272015

G6

I was waiting in a drive thru lane when all of a sudden my car made a chiming noise and flashed power steering, service ESC and I had no power steering. Turned the car off and restarted it and it was fine. This happened 4 other times after that, having to re-start my car to get power steering. Then when my car is comes to stop the steering wheel shakes and makes a terrible knocking noise. Very frustrating that models 2006-2009 are recalled for exact same problem but not the 2010"?" get with it GM this is a terrible hazard and clearly a problem that needs to be addressed!

- Monroe , MI, USA

Mar 032015

G6

While driving down highway service power steering service ESC. Lost steering very hard to steer. Turned car off restarted then had no issues. Then several hours later had same issue turned car off and was able to make it home.

- Bedford, IA, USA

Feb 092015

G6

I noticed that when I would go to start the vehicle I would get some waring lights such as "no power steering" and "service ESC" or something to that affect. There would be no power steering when I would first turn on the car but it I shut it back off and then restarted it would clear out and I would have power steering. Shortly after that started the steering wheel would make jerking or rapid movements back and forth by itself sometimes even when I was driving down the road. Eventually the power steering went out while I was driving and nearly caused me to wreck! I began a search to see if there had been any steering problems with the Pontiac G6 reported and I found that there had actually been several recalls but when I contacted GM and they said that although the Pontiac G6 2005-2006 and 2008-2009 models had been recalled that my 2010 had not been included in the recall. They told me that since my vehicle was no longer under warranty they would not cover the repair..... even though it was the exact same part that failed (steering wheel torque sensor) on the vehicles that had been recalled. I had to pay out of pocket.....$503!

- Evansville, IN, USA

Feb 192015

G6

Driving at a speed of 35 mph and the steering just when off and was hard to steer. Check power steering service ESC and the ESC off indicator came on (the warning came at the same time, so that was worthless) and had to re-set by turning the car off. It happens again on 2/23/2015. When it did happen it was nearly impossible to steer. I see where GM has recalled up to the year 2009 but not beyond that. Whats up GM?? I have been a GM owner most of my life, but if GM does not own up to this problem I will not be buying another GM product. I purchased this car brand new. Estimated cost to repair this problem is between $800 to $1200 GM recall it now before someone get hurt or killed!!!!!

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Jan 212015

G6

About a month ago I started having issues when I would start my car the power steering, service ESC messages would come on and I would have no power steering, however restarting my car usually fixed the problem, the last two weeks I have noticed it getting worse and there is now a shake in my steering wheel and now this is happening while I am driving. I was doing 60 mph on a highway today and lost all power steering. I have looked this up and all other year G6 have a recall from this issue but the 2010 does not, and it seems alot of people are having the same issue, this is going to cost me around 700 to get repaired

- Little Sioux, IA, USA

Feb 062015

G6

While driving along the highway the service lights starting going off saying power steering service ESC and I no longer has power steering. Ive noticed that upon starting the car sometimes I have power steering and sometimes I dont.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Feb 092015

G6

The power steering goes out, just like as described in the latest recall of GM's, which added to last years models. My year make is not included in this recall as of yet. I just got this item repaired at a dealer for over $500 dollars. What will it take to recall my 2010 for the exact same steering issue. I will demand to get reimburse for the cost of my repairs when and if it gets recalled, I hope there's many more cars with this same problem to make an extended mass recall, before for potential of more accidents is inevitable.

- Bath, MI, USA

Jan 262015

G6

I have a 2010 Pontiac G6. A few weeks ago I was driving thru town and stopped for a red light. As soon as I stopped the steering wheel started to shake. Then as I proceed thru the light all power steering stopped and message displayed "power steering fault". if I shut the car off with the wheel straight and restart, I will have power steering for a few miles. I went to the dealership about this issue and they said my car is not affected with this recall. Why"!" all other models are having the same problems.

- Tiffin , OH, USA

Feb 152015

G6

Driving to town and the car starts to"ding" at me. I look down and it says "power steering" and "service ESC" and then I notice that there is no longer any power steering.

- St Croix Falls, WI, USA

Feb 132015

G6

In the beginning my car would pull to one side and the stering wheel would shake really bad. It would shake driving and at a stand still. After it would shake the power stering would shut off. I could be driving or at a stand still when it shuts off (it didn't matter). I start my car now and the power stering light comes on as soon as I turn the key saying that the electric power stering is not working.

- Middleport , NY, USA

Feb 022015

G6

Dear NHTSA; I own a 2010 Pontiac G6 that within the last week incurred a power steering failure. Recall research shows that on March 2014 the NHTSA required GM to issue a recall for this exact problem, however, it only covered the G6 models up to the year 2009. The service advisor at the dealership acknowledged that the "problem" was very similar to the steering problem for earlier models that are subject to the recall. However, since the 2010 model year was not included in the NHTSA recall, the cost to repair the problem falls to the consumer and is estimated to be in the $1,800 to $2,000 range. This is clearly a safety issue and mirrors the same characteristic's as earlier models included in the recall. I have contacted GM regarding this matter and have been assured that a local customer service representative will be contacting me within 48 hours. While I appreciate GM's willingness to "consider" the matter, I urge the NHTSA to re-visit the model years subject to the recall. The consumer should not be burdened with the cost of repairing what is obviously a design defect. Further and more importantly is safety for the passengers and other drivers on the road. I hope that the ntsb will investigate this matter accordingly and amend the power steering recall to include 2010 models. Thank you.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Feb 012013

G6

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While driving at various speeds, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel would become very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that when the failure occurred, the ESC off and power steering warning sensors would illuminate and the steering wheel would vibrate. The contact also indicated that while operating the vehicle, the low beam headlights would suddenly shut off and only the high beam headlights could be used. The head lamps were replaced on several occasions, but the failure continued to occur. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Randellstown , MD, USA