7.0

$3,740

Most common solutions:

1. replace camshaft and lifters (8 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ram 1500:

Jan 042019

1500 ST 5.7L

From what I can find on the internet, this is a common problem with Dodge (5.7L) engine camshaft. My question is; if the company knows this is an issue, why hasn't there been a recall on this issue? I took my truck in for a simple exhaust manifold leak and left with a camshaft problem. If there is anybody that has any suggestion on how to get this problem more out in the open, let me know.

- William K., Whitwell, US

May 252018

1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L Hemi

click to see larger images

camshaft issue and lifter lock up camshaft issue and lifter lock up

Last year in may my Ram began to shake and check engine light would flash. tTurned out to be cylinder 5 lifter being stuck and wearing the cam. I was advised to replace with non mds lifters and to use a tuner to delete the mds (I'm using superchips) unfortunately 15,000 miles later (I drive a a lot) it seems to be having the same issue. This time with lifter on cylinder 6. I cannot stress enough that to stay away from these engines, even in the Charger and Challenger. This is an absolutely horrible experience.

- Colton M., Channelview, TX, US

Oct 172018

1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Just bought this truck used for around $18,000. Seemed a little sluggish starting up hills but they told me that it was normal and the truck goes into 4 cylinder mode sometimes. I think that was a lie and the guy wouldn't look at me when he was feeding me this BS. My 4 cylinder Altima climbed hills better than this 5.7 hemi.

Anyway, I wanted a "real truck" so I got a Ram. Made first payment and the light came on. I replaced ignition coil and spark plugs. I drove it about 15 miles and it came back on and the truck shakes like crazy around 1800 rpms. Tried to change the valve lifters my self and found a loose rocker arm. This confirmed the worst that it could have been. So I had to get an extra loan of 2500 to get the damn thing fixed.

Dealership won't do anything of course because it is a used truck out of warranty. They are selling another 2012 Ram with 62,000 miles on it right now and the next guy will be screwed. Can't believe that Ram won't recall this P.O.S. engine. I won't be buying a Dodge product ever again.

- Adam R., Ringgold, GA, US

Oct 242018

1500 Sport 5.7L

I've always been a Chrysler guy all my life, until I got this Ram 1500 sport 2012. I used to love it until the problems starting to happen.

Not wasting my time mentioning all the other common problems that I had before, like exhaust manifold bolts, win module etc... now I had the pleasant surprise of getting the code P0305. Did you guess it? Exactly. Bad lifters and cam, driver's side.

I've change oil religiously every 5000, using what the dealer recommends. Still not enough. Now I have a $4k bill in my hands to fix a problem that has been happening over thousands of Rams. This should be a recall, Ram or Chrysler or Fiat or whatever the heck they're called now. They should look at these common problems and start helping their own clients, fixing what we all know that it is usually bad quality.

After this one (it would be the last one) will be another client lost. I'm a General Contractor and I use my truck for daily driving. I will be swapping for Ford

- Marco R., Riverdale, NJ, US

Jun 132018

1500 Big Horn 5.7L Hemi

Went to have a ticking noise looked at on my 2012 Ram 1500. Comes back to needing a New Cam and All new lifters. MFR is on a national backorder for one set of these lifters with no date as to when they will have them. Is it OK to still be driving it? Are that many RAMS having this issue with the 5.7 Liter Hemi and do I need to veer away from buying another one eventually??? Love my truck and would like to get another 100K miles out of it. Thank God for the Wrap extended Warranty. No out of pocket cost except for the $100 typical.

- Darin H., Shanwee, US

Apr 302018

1500 Tradesman 5.7L Hemi

Add another to the dissatisfied owner list of the Chrysler 5.7L Hemi. Same issue as so many others. Truck started hesitating and developed a shake during acceleration. Engine light came on. P0305 code. Dealership wants $750 just to open it up and confirm the issue, despite the fact that there are hundreds of cases. They will graciously apply that to the fix, at a labor rate of $140/hr. Guess I'm stuck with that, since I can't find another mechanic that will touch this motor with a 10 ft. pole. Definitely my last Hemi, and last Dodge/Chrysler. Estimated repair costs $3-4k.

This should have been recalled long ago, it has been occurring for years now. 88,000 miles, all maintenance regularly performed, and ran amsoil in it, the whole time.

- Brad H., Oklahoma City, OK, US

Mar 292018

1500 Express 5.7L

Known problem. Why won't Dodge step up. All the other manufacturers would.

- David W., Mesquite, US

Feb 012018

1500 Long Horn Hemi 5.7L

Trying to pass on the highway, and check engine light starts flashing and truck starts vibrating. Check engine light code says "mis fire on cylinder 3" - take it dealer, and am told there's a lifter stuck and its damaged the cam shaft.

So my 2012 Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7 with only 105,000 miles now needs a $4800 repair. My extended warranty covered $2900 leaving me to come up with $1900 out of pocket.

I've read multiple other stories with the exact same issue and to me, it's bullshit that Dodge doesn't own up and recall this.

Before this truck, I owned a 2007 Dodge Magnum and I loved that car. Never had engine problems. But after this issue, and multiple other issues with this truck, I will NEVER BUY DODGE or RAM again.

- hemified, Saint Louis, US