Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ram 2500:

May 192019

2500

While driving on interstate 84 in hartford, ct I hit a slight bump after they were resurfacing the road at about 50 miles per hour. The entire truck shook violently from the suspension into the steering wheel. Felt like all 4 tires were about to come out from under the truck. Luckily I was able to veer to the nearest exit and come to a complete stop. I took the truck onto a side road and visually inspected the undercarriage. Nothing seemed loose or seemed to have any play. The truck only has 58000 miles and I have never experienced this prior. Extremely nervous to bring this 3/4 ton up to highway speeds again.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Aug 012013

2500

The contact owns a 2013 Ram 2500. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a "death wobble" while driving 55 mph. Also, the steering wheel shook so violently that the contact lost control of the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle would shake even when it struck a small bump in the road, which caused it to drive into a ditch on two occasions. The vehicle was taken to autonation Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram spring (21027 I-45, spring, tx 77388, (281) 715-6927). The dealer stated that they were aware of the failure, but there was no remedy. The contact called the manufacturer, but was unable to speak with anyone. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 3,500.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 122018

2500

I was traveling along I-25 about 75-80 mph when the steering got extremely tight so I started to slow down and when I did so I found out there was little to no brakes. Once I coasted to the edge of the interstate the truck started to overheat really fast so I shut it off. I opened the hood and examined the motor and found that the water pump shaft had snapped off because the water pump failed. When it happened my truck lost everything that is turned off of the serpintine belt which includes power steering pump all hydraulic system for my master cylinder and cooling system. There was no warning that the pump was going to fail and at 75 mph it was amazing that nothing catastrophic happened with no steering or brakes. I have researched and found there is a recall for the water pump on my truck but it doesnt mention anything about it failing like mine did with 40,000 miles on it.

- Center, CO, USA

Mar 142018

2500

Had a death wobble in may of 2017. I was knocked off the road during a school camping trip at 60 miles an hour on a mountain pass. Luckily I managed to stop the vehicle before rolling over. Dealer fixed upper and lower ball joint and trac bar. The wobble is now back and I am deathly afraid to drive it. I live in the mountains of Colorado and I use the truck to pull a large boat. If it happens on a mountain pass...I am dead!

- Gunnison, CO, USA

Aug 272017

2500

Steering damper on my 2013 Ram 2500 (50K miles) is in need of replacing. This damper clunks while driving. I have researched other Ram trucks of this model and most are having the same issue and is apparent the steering damper - connects from steering wheel shaft to steering box is faulty. The two lugs on the damper have struck the ends of the slots and have pronounced metal to metal contact. My concern if not replaced by Ram, this could fault causing loss of steering resulting to personal injury up to including death of the driver and passengers. I have taken this issue into Jeep/chry/Ram service on several occasions and they decided to replace my ball joints at approx. 25K miles "?" recommend NHTSA to look into this matter as a manufacture defect and will not be replaced free of charge unless pushed as a recall item.

- Williamsburg, MO, USA

Jul 272017

2500

The contact owns a 2013 Ram 2500. While driving between 25-30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed. Sunset motors incorp (located at 2218 sunset blvd, steubenville, oh 43952, (740) 264-1696) was notified, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 15,997.

- Colliers, WV, USA

May 122017

2500

Have experienced 'death wobble' (extreme vibration and loss of control) after hitting chuckhole at highway speed on three occasions. The third time nearly caused an accident. In all three cases, was driving in a straight line at about 65 mph. Mileage is 26400. The dealer is replacing the ball joints and other front end parts. A search of the internet shows this is a common problem on this truck.

- Gunnison, CO, USA

Apr 032017

2500

While driving the vehicle if you hit a bump in the road or a low spot the vehicle will shake violently (death wobble) and you must bring the vehicle to an immediate stop. I feel this is a very serious issue as you can loose control of the truck at highway speeds putting not only myself and family in danger but also other unsuspecting drivers in danger.

- Eufaula, OK, USA

Mar 132017

2500

All four ball joints and tie rod need replacement after only 44,400 miles on my 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 slt crew cab. Dealer told me the warrantee expired at 35,000 miles. Repairs total slightly over $1300. This is outrageous. I have had many vehicles with well over 175,000 and never had issues with ball joints or tie rods. This should be a recall item. Purchased at Dodge dealer in bakersfield, ca.

- Lake Isaabella, CA, USA

Jan 022017

2500

My truck has the death wobble.... a violent shaking of the front end at highway speeds...... very dangerous!! I went off of the road last week and ended up in a cotton field. Once the death wobble started I had no control of the brakes or steering wheel. Please help before me or someone dies!!!!! I have put all new ball joints, track bar, right and left upper tie rods, damper,3 alignments, my front right shock, and the right hub assembly all valued at $2751.60 so far and ive done most of the work....please help.

- Midland, TX, USA

Feb 022017

2500

While traveling on the interstate North of New York city, the truck began to shake violently after hitting a bump in the road. The road was dry, sunny conditions and moderate traffic traveling about 65mph. This was the second time it happened and the first after performing work about 2 thousand miles earlier. The work included, replace front brake pads, calipers and rotors after dealer discovered possible sticky not frozen left front caliper. Replacing left and right side upper and lower ball joints all found to be in tolerance but dealer convinced warranty company that they should be replaced. 4 wheel computer alignment. Front end appeared to be in near new condition as the original mileage was just over 30K. The truck had no signs or symptoms for out of balance wheels or tires, shocks, springs or steering stabilizer. There was never excessive play in the steering. The warranty covered approximately $1100 of the total that was over $2300. The condition reoccurred less than 2000 miles after the work was completed. This is indicative of a design flaw with the size of components used in the control arms. The control arms fail to stabilize the front end after hitting a bump on one side. The arms actually act as springs counteracting forces which cause the front axle to shake violently until vehicle speed drops to below 20 miles an hour as the energy dissipates. Chrysler, specifically the local dealers have suggested uneven tire pressures and everything else that was replaced earlier. This problem is inherent to this vehicle's design and the use of less than required size of components.

- Salem, MA, USA

Nov 122016

2500

Dodge Ram truck death wobble.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Nov 072016

2500

Driving on the MA route 128 S highway around 65-70 mph, I hit a pothole on the left side of the travel lane. The truck started to shake violently as described with a death wobble. The violent shaking did not stop after applying the brakes to slow through about 35-40 mph. It felt as if all 4 tires blew simultaneously. No obvious damage was observed once stopped. This truck has less than 33900 miles at the time of the incident. The steering feels otherwise tight and responsive, the tires and wheels are stock and are wearing evenly. This is a very dangerous condition that affects the safety of operator, occupants and other drivers near an uncontrollable vehicle. The internet sources are widely aware of the condition with no clear solution to the problem. Many people identify equipment including shocks, ball joints, steering boxes, tie rods and ends and steering dampers and unbalanced tires. Some consumers indicate that even with entire front ends being replaced the problem continued. This indicates a design problem to me.

- Salem, MA, USA

Nov 152015

2500

I am having what they call the "death wobble" when I drive over 65 mph and hit a pot hole, the front end starts to shimmy up and down violently. I have to slow down quickly not to lose control of the vehicle. Also tends to vibrate badly on turns.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 012015

2500

2013 Ram 4X4 cummins with severe steering issues. The steering was noticeably unstable at around 38,000 miles. The drag links were both replaced, with moog greasables (non warranty parts) and so were all the tires (to try and eliminate possibilities). I am currently at 44,000 miles and just got the truck from the dealership after an alignment. The steering is still "unstable" and I have to compensate to keep it straight on the road. It resembles a drunk driver is driving the truck. I don't drive the truck as a daily driver only for trips and pulling. I seems to be more unstable when accelerating and when the road is uneven or bumpy as if something is loose in the front end. I am also a mechanical person and have been under the truck several times and cannot see or feel anything loose (neither did the dealer). I have even replaced the brake pads while checking the calipers thinking one or more were "sticking". everything was ok with the brakes but pads got replaced with new ceramics anyway. At around 35,000 miles I noticed a "slipping" or rough noise when taking off from a stop especially while turning left or right. I took it to the dealership and they said they noticed the noise but was a normal noise coming from the limited slip differential. The noise resembles tires slightly loosing traction on loose stones and is still happening to this day. The steering has gotten worse even with the new parts installed and I'm getting very concerned with the safety of the vehicle. Can anyone please shed some light on the steering issue or if the noise I hear has any bearing on the steering issue?

- Kingsley, MI, USA

Jan 042016

2500

My new Ram 2500 hd truck has "death wobble". when at highway speeds when you hit a bump in the road just right the front end violently shakes out of control until you almost come to a complete stop. It shakes so hard I can't believe you don't have to rebuild the front end every time it happens. It has been to the dealer 5 times to be repaired and the problem still persists. I was told by the new service manager at the dealership I purchased the truck from that the problem could not be 100% fixed and that it will always come back. And that I'm lucky that it has only happened a couple times a year. This has been a very dangerous, aggravating, waste of time dealing with such a dangerous issue they seem to not take very seriously. It has been happening since about March 2014 and the last time it happened was Jan 9th 2016.

- Golden, CO, USA

Jan 032016

2500

The vehicle began shaking uncontrollably at highway speed after hitting a bump in the road.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Nov 082014

2500

The contact owned a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500. While parked, the contact noticed oil leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering seal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact also stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two separate occasions where the steering box and pinion seal were replaced, each on different occasions. In addition, the vehicle veered to the right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the vehicle was aligned, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Pauls Valley, OK, USA

Aug 252015

2500

Driving 60mph with a small load on 16ft gooseneck stock trailer. Load was 2000 lbs. Hit a rough spot in the road, steering wheel began to shake uncontrollably, pulling me into the other lane. Luckily, there was no traffic. Approximately 1 mile later, I hit another rough spot. This time, the steering wheel shook so violently, that it almost pulled my hands off the wheel. The frequency of the shake was reduced as I was able to slow down, but the violence of the shake seemed to increase until I had slowed to about 15 mph. Road was straight, weather was clear and about 90 degrees.

- Panola, OK, USA

Jun 222015

2500

2013 Ram 2500 megacab 4X4. Purchased this vehicle 1 month ago. Noticed when driving over 60 mph the front of the truck begins to shake. This causes the steering wheel and front passenger seat to vibrate uncontrollably so that you can visably see it and feel it. The truck is in perfect alignment when you let go of the wheel, so its not that. Seems to be related to the steering or suspension. This is very annoying and im worried it could lead to some type of steering malfunction, resulting in a wreck. Dealer shows no problem when inspected.

- Crandall, TX, USA