8.4

$4,175.00

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (15 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Scion tC:

Oct 262016

tC 2.4s 4 cyl

I had to top off the oil every 1500 miles with almost 2 quarts when I first noticed my car acting different. Now I have to top it off every 1000 miles with a quart of oil just to make sure my vehicles engine has enough lubrication. This oil consumption is getting out of hand, Toyota needs to do something about this.

- , Huntsville, TX, US

Sep 162015

tC

HAVING TO PUT 2 QTS OF FULL SYNTHETIC OIL IN EVERY 3 WEEKS IS A PAIN AND EXPENSIVE. I'M A FULL TIME COLLEGE STUDENT SO BUYING ANOTHER CAR IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME RIGHT NOW. PREVIOUS OWNERS DID NOT TELL ME ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND WHEN I TRIED TO CONTACT THEM THEY BLOCKED MY NUMBER. LOL IS TOYOTA DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

- , Fresno, US

Apr 262017

tC 4 cyl

I always have my oil changed regularly. I can never make it to the next oil change, having to add oil every other week at least.

- , Cincinnati, OH, US

Apr 192017

tC 2.4L

trying still to resolve issue with toyota...only 86000 miles and so far won't touch the issue

- , St Louis, US

Oct 132015

tC

First I never know when the oil is low because the damn oil light NEVER comes on, it only flickers for a second. Second I have already had the gaskets fixed, $160.00. A week later and only 850 miles later it was bone dry..AGAIN! My mechanics are at a loss. They filled the oil, I reset the odometer and have to bring it back in a week so we can see how low it gets in a week and at how many miles. The fact that Toyota is fully aware of this problem and is doing NOTHING about it SUCKS! I really love my car and it makes me sad that I am now going shopping for another car. SHAME ON YOU TOYOTA!

- , Phoenix, US

May 052017

tC

I bought this car for my son so he can commute to college. After about one year, the car engine is seized because of excessive oil burns. I knew it that this car burns oil, but I had no idea that it was burning so much oil. I am very disappointed in Toyota quality.

- , Keller, TX, US

Apr 182017

tC

Bought this one owner tC with 128000 miles. Between oil changes I have to add at least two qts of oil. I use full synthetic oil. I look on internet to see what could make it use so much oil and found that other tCs have the same problem.

- , Longton, US

Apr 242017

tC

6 months beyond extended "warranty enhancement" program, yet 50000 miles under limit.

- , Cuyahoga Falls, US

Mar 232017

tC Hatchback 2.4L

Been having the oil pressure light came on at 1k miles!! I am mad the Toyota dealer won't fix it!

- , Katy, TX, US

Apr 092017

tC

On March 19th, 2017 I got an oil change at about 106,000 miles. On april 8th, 2017 i was driving on the high way and when I excited out to put gas i noticed my oil light started blinking every time i stopped at a light. to my surprise my oil was very low and i was not due for an oil change until 111,000 mile mark. I took it to the shop and they told me my engine blew due to low oil. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. After doing some research, I found out that this has been happening to a lot of people and TOYOTA has not done anything to help their customers. Now I have to buy a used engine to get my car up and running again.

- , Costa Mesa, US

Sep 012016

tC

This is my wife's primary mode of transportation and she typically averages 50-60 miles a day, 4-5 times a week. This has been a very reliable vehicle since she has purchased it and we typically get good gas mileage. Up until about a year ago we have noticed that the vehicle has been burning through oil at an incredible rate. I usually change the oil every 3,000 miles and we were good. Now the oil light will come on when she brakes when she is at the 1000-1500 mile mark, resulting in us having to add a quart or two to get us until the next oil change. At first I thought there might of been a leak, but we park in a garage and there has never been any residue on the ground. Upon further research I have found that this is a common problem with this make, model and year. If there is anything we can do to correct this problem please let me know. If this vehicle were to break down we would be doomed! Please help us out to get this problem fixed ASAP!!

- , Long Beach, US

Mar 012017

tC 2.4L

Extended warranty is BS. This should be a Toyota recall.

- , Westerly, RI, US

Mar 052017

tC

I have a major problem with oil being burned in the engine in a car that has just turn 10 years old. im burning through a quart about every 1500 miles thats not how a well designed engine should function

- , New Braunfels, TX, US

Sep 252016

tC 2dr Coupe 2.4L I-4

My wife predominantly drives this car and said that she noticed that a small red light comes on from time to time when she brakes. When I tried to recreate the issue, everything seemed to be running fine with no lights coming on. When I checked the engine oil, the level was about halfway between the empty and full. I topped off the engine oil just to make sure it was full and didn't think much of it.

About a 3500 miles later I was driving the scion tC and I finally saw that the oil light came on for less than a second and turned off while I was braking at the stop light. I immediate pulled over to check oil level and it was not even detectable on the dip stick! I immediate bought 2 qts of Mobile 1 that I normally use and that got the oil level about 75% full! I started Googling to see if others had the same issue and saw that I was not the only one and that Toyota claims this is "normal" oil consumption.

I'm sorry Toyota, but burning 2+ qts of oil in 3500 miles is not normal in a car. This is not a race car being driven on a track day. It's a daily commuter car that suffers from stop and go traffic of Los Angeles.

- , Monterey Park, CA, US

Feb 212017

tC 2.4L

On Feb 21st 2017 i took my scion tc 07 for an oil change and asked about the exessive oil consumption recall and they said it had gone over the recall parameters my 26,000 miles.

I even called the toyota/scion headquarters mentioning that i never received any letter or called advising me of this recall and now i'm left with the problem by my own

- , Buford, US

Feb 112017

tC 2az-Fe

My 2007 Scion tC, is experiencing excessive oil consumption believed to be from defective piston rings designed by the manufacturer. This will inevitably lead to engine failure if not caught soon enough, and is already an extremely expensive fix as is. My car no longer falls under the standard Toyota Powertrain Warranty (60 months / 60k miles). But has less than 85,000 miles on it. Toyota will do nothing to fix this problem that has affected multiple model/years of their cars with the engine 2AZ-FE. This needs to be recalled and fixed by Toyota.

- , Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA

Dec 212016

tC

Oil consumption on this car is ridiculous. Uses more than a quart every oil change. How can Toyota get away with this.

- , Carlsbad, CA, USA

Aug 192016

tC 3 Door Liftback 4-cyl

I recently bought a used 2007 Scion tC from a close family member, someone I believe I could trust. She said that the car was in good running condition aside from minor cosmetic damage, everything else works just like it should. Although she did mention that there was only one minor defect about the car. She stated that this problem is considered a common thing for this particular make, year, & model. She said that the car needs to be "topped off" with about a liter of fresh oil at least once in between regular oil maintenance times. At the moment, I didn't think of it being such a big deal because for older cars that tends to happen. After about a month of driving and a few days after I have my first oil change as the new owner, oddly my oil sensor light came noticeably too soon. I check my oil & dip stick like anyone else would. As soon as I open the cap, the motor lets off a cloud of smoke. I thought it was strange that there was also no oil to be found on the dip-stick itself. With further inspection I noticed that all the oil had dramatically vanished only a week after I had an oil change. I topped it off again and checked back a week later to see if I would get the same results or anything different. As before, the amount of oil was near empty, not suitable for daily driving. About three months later after being fed up and worried, I decided to get help from an expert. It became huge red flag for me when I noticed that I'm consuming more oil then gasoline. My mechanic for more than 20 plus years informed me about a recall for my vehicle. He offered to help/repair the car if Toyota wouldn't do anything. He stated I would need internal engine work or maybe a new/used complete motor swap. His estimate was more than what I paid for the car. I did some investigating, researched online, and spoke with the seller to get more info. They never received any bulletin from Toyota, otherwise they would have addressed the problem. The car has only been serviced at the Toyota dealership since the day it was purchased as a new vehicle. I'm only the 2nd owner, Toyota should have mentioned the 2011 recall to the original owner instead of falsely informing her that this is common problem for older cars, especially this particular model, and that she shouldn't worry because its not that big of a deal.

I go check the official Toyota site to look for recalls and there is absolutely nothing to be found regarding the recall issued back in 2011. What happened? How did such a big issue get swept under the rug. I feel cheated and SOL. I practically gave away my car for free for this lemon. My previous car was more dependable then this piece of junk that continues to fall apart. I feel helpless and I hope for a miracle to happen. I got rid of my reliable 1995 Toyota Avalon thinking I was upgrading to something better. Boy was I wrong... I can barely afford to get another car, now I have to question my means of transportation, it has definitely effected my livelihood and "well-being". Someone please save me, this is totally unfair... Toyota, why am I paying and suffering for all of your mistakes?

- , Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Sep 112015

tC

Needing to refill 1 - 2 quarts of oil between oil changes? After having my engine replaced in 2010 for the exact same issue, my Scion's second engine continued to burn an excessive amount of oil. The problem getting worse and worse as the years past. I received a letter from Scion in February of 2015 notifying me of a "Warranty Enhancement Program." It told me that I could have an oil consumption test done on my car to determine if it was using enough oil to qualify for a fix to the problem. This was made very clear in the letter that this was not a recall and making note "At Scion, we are dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value. As part of our continual efforts to ensure customer satisfaction, Scion is advising you of this Enhancement to the Warranty Coverage to assure you that we stand behind the product." After paying a ridiculous amount for an oil change and waiting over 2 hours for it (that I could have been working), I was sent on my way to drive between 1,100-1,300 miles before coming back to dealership to get the analysis done. Came back to the dealership after 1,200 miles and my Scion had gone through 1.1 quarts of oil. The dealership then told me if I had gone through 1.3 quarts of oil then I would have qualified for the fix that would take about a month to complete. So now I sit and just have to deal with the fact that my Scion burns an absurd amount of oil and continue to keep purchasing quarts upon quarts of oil to make sure that my engine does not run dry. Oh, and I can't get another oil consumption test done on my vehicle because Scion only allows 2 done per vehicle. So much for standing behind their product.

- , Kent, WA, USA

Sep 202010

tC

Here is part of a letter that I had sent directly to Toyota explaining my experience dated Sept. 20, 2010: " The past 3 years I have absolutely enjoyed my vehicle. I love everything about it, it is my pride and joy and I can’t tell you how many compliments I have received on it. However, the past month has been a complete nightmare between my car and the experience that I have received with your company and one of your franchises.

About 8 months ago, my father and I had noticed that my TC was burning a lot of oil all of a sudden. We have been very careful about making sure the oil was being changed every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, not seeing a huge concern until my 68,000 mile oil change. We decided to watch it very closely to see if there were any oil leaks or any new strange noises that my engine was making. To our astonishment there were none. So we decided it would be best for a dealership to take a look at it, thinking that it may be that the PCP valve was clogged. My Father has had great service with the Toyota dealership in Lake City, Wa in the past, and was very confident that they would be the best to deal with my issue.

Unfortunately we were wrong in my decision. We arrived with the vehicle and let them know what was going on with my TC. The service advisor that was assisting us told us that we needed to get an oil change done with the dealership and that the oil change we had done the week prior was not going to be acceptable to get the process started, which we understood. At this time my extended warranty company was also contacted and a claim was made.

I was told by the service advisor to continue driving my vehicle until the oil was at a certain point on the dip stick so that they could do an oil consumption test. Two weeks later I brought my car back into Toyota of Lake City because the oil on the dipstick was at the requested level. Toyota found that my TC was using a quart and a half in 643 miles. A ridiculous amount for a motor only 3 years old with 80,000 miles on it. I was then told that the only way to find out what was definitely causing the issue was for a complete engine tear down.

My warranty was not going to help me with the $2,000.00+ complete engine tear down with out knowing the reason for the tear down so I was to be held responsible for the expense of it until Toyota found an issue that would or would not be covered by the warranty company. I was told by the Toyota service advisor that it most likely would be that the piston rings had carbon build up and my warranty company was saying if that was the case then it would not be covered. But not knowing for sure, left me with an extremely hard decision with the gamble of a $2,000.00+ repair, which I could not afford to do. At this point the Toyota service advisor simply threw up his arms and said there was nothing else that he could do, that I had to have a complete engine teardown performed on my vehicle with the gamble that the warranty company may or may not cover it, or I can continue driving my vehicle aware of the problem but choosing not to fix it, making my warranty contract void. I went to the Toyota of Lake City and rescued my car, brought it back to my house, where it sat for a few days while I mulled over the idea of the possibility at looking at thousands of dollars to get my 2007 Scion TC fixed.

I spoke to a friend of mine that works for a Toyota dealership in Idaho and he suggested that I try Toyota Corporate, and to also try calling another Toyota dealership, because none of that sounded right. With the amount of oil being burned and the engine being as new as it was, the fact that the only option I had was a complete engine tear down was completely bogus and if I were his customer they would make sure that I was taken care of.

So I did what my friend suggested I called Toyota Corporate, and explained my situation. They agreed that with information given to them, they too could not help me because I was out of the manufacturer’s warranty and that I would need to authorize a complete engine teardown and there was nothing they could do. I tried calling Michael’s Toyota in Bellevue, WA, and got the same answer. I also called the Millennium Ford dealership that had sold me the vehicle only to find out that they had gone out of business. However, after spending several minutes getting passed around I was connected with someone that was willing to actually listen to my problem and put me in contact with someone that could help.

And help they did. A FORD company that had taken over Millennium Ford was finally stepping up to a TOYOTA problem. A problem that I don’t see as their issue. Horizon Ford immediately took me in and went to bat for me with my warranty company. Offering to do the complete engine tear down at a fourth of the cost that Toyota had quoted me and providing me with a complimentary loaner car until we could get more information on my engine.

They found that the piston rings were in alignment which they thought as odd and was unsure if that was typical of a Toyota engine, because most engine’s piston rings are alternated at different levels. The warranty inspector came out and took a look at this then decided to take a look at the valves. The valve guides were worn and causing the inside of the cylinders to carbon up.

Now I know that a complete engine tear down was not the only option that I had. All that needed to be done was to remove a valve panel in order to find the main problem. I am extremely disappointed that no one from Toyota had brought up or thought to check the valve seals in the first place, also come to find out that the failure of the valve seals is actually highly common in the Scion TC’s.

I am now in the process of getting my 2007 Scion TC engine replaced at the request and financial obligation of my warranty company. I cannot tell you the frustration and let down that I have experienced in Toyota as a company and the Toyota of Lake City franchise for not backing up their product. I could have bought a new Hyundai Tiburon with a manufacturer’s warranty of 100,000 miles and I would not have gone thru all this. This was a huge disappointment to me, because I was under the influence that a Toyota engine was suppose to last more than 80,000 miles. "

Toyota did absolutely nothing