6.9

$1,340

Most common solutions:

1. replace springs and struts (6 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Forester:

Dec 172018

Forester

• CVT transmission

Brought in to local mechanic to replace the two rear bearing hubs (a whole other story). While he was working on the rear he noticed both springs had broken. Both broke off about the first 3 inches (about 1/2 of a turn of the bottom of the coil) where it sits in the strut. He said OK for now but should replace when struts are done Looks like they rusted through. Only 5 years old and 58K miles - never had this happen on a car before.

Update from Jan 22, 2019: Went ahead and had my mechanic replace both rear springs. I also had the struts replaced at the same time since the strut has to be removed replace the spring . He used Subaru OEM parts - springs are like $70/each and struts $120/each - Total cost (labor, parts, tax, etc.) was about $800. Car rides noticeably better.

Dealership was no help - all they did was a lookup to see if there was either a recall or a tech notice about the problem - they couldn't find anything. I did notice the new springs now have some sort of rubber coating on the lower portion around the area where mine had broken - so obviously Subaru Corporate knows about the issue as they re-designed the part.

- Mark S., Morris Plains, NJ, US

Jan 072019

Forester LMT 3.2L

Car driving past week like a tire out of balance. Then found broken pieces of metal coil on the floor of my garage! It is garage kept and I don't do off-roading. I am a little old lady driving very carefully on well maintained roads. Can see the metal fatigued and pieces of rust also fell off.

Have been advised need to replace the broken springs and it also broke a strut as well. Took to local tire dealer instead of Subaru. Still waiting on parts coming from east coast. Now noted this is a known problem with this model, yet Subaru wont recall? Will try and contact them if they will pay anything towards this bill.

Update from Jan 17, 2019: contacted subaru who is punishing me for not going to a subaru dealer. they know there is a problem so would only offer me a 500 gift card i can only use at a subaru dealer. cost me over 1556.00 for repairs to the coils and struts. if they wont stand behind their vehicles i will be thinking of a different vehicle when i look to purchase a new one

- Laurie K., Round Lake, IL, US

Dec 122018

Forester 2.5i Premium 2.5 Liters

The left rear coil spring was broken after 4.5 years and 15,000 miles of use. The 3-year warranty has expired. The cost of repair includes replacing the coils on all 4 wheels.

- James M., Ithaca, NY, US

Aug 112018

Forester XT Touring 2.0L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Both rear springs failed: broken. Car was not nor has ever been close to being overloaded. Parts unavailable until mid to late October. With a backorder this long, it sounds like a design / manufacturing issue. I think a recall is appropriate or the warranty extended. Anyone know of good aftermarket or performance replacement parts if OEM pars aren't available? I can't be without the car for two months. This sucks.

- Steve B., Huntington, NY, US

Jun 012018

Forester LX

• CVT transmission

Only 57K miles and both rear springs break? Based on my web search, I am not the only one. I am really disappointed. 2nd repair I have had to make in the past 1.5 years and it looks like neither one is going to be covered by warranty. This was a certified pre-owned that my daughter has only put about 8K in mileage on.

- Patrick S., Crestwood, US

Apr 122018

Forester 2.5i

I noticed my back passenger side seemed to be tilting lower, so I measured the distance from the top of the wheel to the wheel well and found a significant difference from one side of the car to the other. The car would also shimmy when I hit road bumps.

After leaving my Forester with my mechanic he called an hour later to tell me not only did I need new springs and struts (I decided to do both sides) but the parts where on back order FOR A WEEK. Really? I do not do any driving that puts undo stress on my suspension. And I was informed that the car was dangerous to drive as the broken spring could discharge a piece, potentially rupturing a tire.

My life responsibilities required that I rent a car for a week at $180 and even now I will be without a car for a few more days. I called the dealership and the corporate office and talked to and received help from wonderful individuals, but I suspect a problem with the parts. I have owned MANY cars in my 60 some years and have never needed to replace springs and struts at 60,000 miles.

I have been so happy with my Subaru and intended to purchase a new one when the 2019s come out, but now I am not sure. I feel I can no longer trust this company.

- Rose C., Bloomingdale, IL, US

May 162018

Forester

• CVT transmission

Had my tires rotated at a local garage and the mechanic showed me that both rear coil springs are cracked. 72,000 miles on the vehicle. Never used to tow anything, no heavy loads, and no off-roading. Why are the coil springs broken? Of course the local dealership says it's out of warranty. I've had twelve vehicles over the years, most went much higher in mileage before being replaced and never had a broken coil spring, now both rear are broken, seams like a defect to me.

- Donald B., Saugerties, US