Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Subaru Outback:

Apr 112019

Outback

The head unit in the sound system/electrical system keeps failing resulting in a loss of all sound functions. I don't get any warnings of problems as the sound system simply does not work. This is unsafe. To date, the dealer has replaced what he calls an amplifier twice. The new unit works for a few days or weeks and then fails again. So far, the other components connected to this system -- back up camera, for instance, still work. I don't know if this is related, but the rear hatch has opened by itself three times, each time when the car was parked. Once, this caused the battery to drain because we did not discover it for more than 12 hours. Once, there was damage to the rear hatch because we did not know it was open and it was damaged by the garage door when we opened it remotely from outside.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Aug 012019

Outback

The windshield breaks from either nothing at all or even the slightest rock ding. We've replaced the windshield twice in under one year

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jul 272019

Outback

Sunroof spontaneously shattered/exploded while driving without impact or other vehicles around. Outside temperature was 86 degrees at the time. Was at highway speed on an interstate. Nothing was overhead. Glass exploded up and out.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Nov 122018

Outback

The radio malfunctions, it crackles, static interference, other stations interfere with current station. This occurs during all weather conditions and all different roads and whether car is moving or stationary have been to the dealer several times.

- New Hyde Park, NY, USA

May 012019

Outback

Windshield severely stress cracked and had to be replaced within 10 months of ownership. This was not covered by dealer warranty and I had to pay to have replaced. Windshield contractor told me that Subaru is using thinner glass now that stresses very easily. He had just replaced the same the day before mine. I've never had to replace a windshield from stress before. I don't know if this happened while in motion or stationary, but I did notice a small crack and then it went sideways across from driver to passenger side of window.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Jun 132019

Outback

Rear liftgate operates intermittent and when open intermittently will not close; I have had to drive the vehicle with the liftgate not fully closed or latched. I have had the vehicle in service seven times.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

May 272019

Outback

While parked in the sun and with a sunshade installed inside, we returned to our car and removed the sunshield and noticed a new windshield crack in the windshield. Sitting still. This car has the eyesight system and was told the windshield is very expensive and insurance and Subaru say not covered. Car has just turned 12,000 miles and is always garaged at home. Subaru has defective windshields and my dealership says so.

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

May 252019

Outback

The steering with lane departure warning will sometimes jerk the car from side to side, as if self correcting, even though the car is well within the lane. At times the car also feels like it is hydroplaning on dry ground with little steering feedback. Purchased used with a carfax report indicating no problems. It is a very scary feeling on dry surfaces to get no steering feedback or have the car self correct the even while in the middle of the lane. At 20,000 miles had an alignment performed, did not correct the problem. Online there are numerous reports for this occurrence with no viable solutions. Our family always wanted a Subaru for safety, but this feels very dangerous. When the lane departure self corrects there is little steering feedback and the vehicle seems to be guiding itself and steering during these times seems very loose.

- Midland, MI, USA

May 202019

Outback

Windshield cracks. I have had the car since March 2018 and the windshield has cracked three times. The first two were the result of rocks hitting the windshield - the third was just a small crack on the passenger side right above the windshield..I have been driving for 45 years and have never had a windshield crack - this windhield cracks constantly. - the product should be recalled

- Green Village, NJ, USA

Mar 172018

Outback

Navigation system sucks!!!!!!!!! this is very frustrating and causes road rage !!!!! while driving the system usually will not accept voice commands. System says "I'm sorry I didn't understand. Let's try again." I try again; same response. I am using the system recommended commands such as "find nearest" or "navigate to : " also when trying to enter a street number, street, city, state; I get the same "I'm sorry I didn't understand. Let's try again." When I try again system repeats "I'm sorry I didn't understand. Let's try again." Or interrupts me before I can try again. My wife has the same problem with the system. A lot of times when I set a destination with the keyboard (not available when moving); the directions are wrong when you are near the destination, such as the turn direction or location being to the right or left.this is very frustrating and causes road rage !!!!! dealer says the system is working as designed and is difficult to use. No sh*t! we contacted Subaru. No response.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Mar 032019

Outback

Started car this morning and the unit that controls the radio, backup cameras, navigation and bluetooth is blank and unresponsive.. dead. Car in garage when starting. Car drives fine except for above deficits

- Asheville, NC, USA

Feb 222019

Outback

On February 22, 2019, the plastic cover on the dash below the steering wheel on the driver's side came loose while I was driving. It was hanging down attached by wires and dangled over the accelerator and brake pedals, interfering with their safe operation. I was on a highway about a mile from my home when this happened. I carefully drove home. Subaru roadside assistance fixed the problem. The dealer confirmed the next day that the panel had been properly reattached.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Feb 262019

Outback

Driving approximately 50 mph on South us hwy 231 (left lane), without any incident rear passenger window popped and shattered and then broken glass fell into backseat of car. There was no car in right lane or in front of my car. There were no adverse road conditions. No other damage to car.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 112019

Outback

Backup camera is black gps and radio dead

- Hastings, PA, USA

Feb 122019

Outback

Exploding sunroof. The sunroof suddenly shattered into pieces while driving on a freeway offramp with no other cars or bridges nearby. It sounded like an explosion. The car wasn't damaged or scratched anywhere else, and there was no object or debris.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Jul 042018

Outback

On start up of vehicle the radio automatically comes on at a loud volume and cannot be adjusted or turned off for a couple of minutes. This is very dangerous when trying to backup or move out of a parking situation. I have been informed by Subaru mechanics that there is no way to keep the radio from automatically coming on when I start the car. Other owners have also complained about this feature. This has been a problem since I purchased the car 7/4/18

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 102018

Outback

Bluetooth will randomly disconnect. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes, sometimes a couple hours. Unable to re-connect once it does, so we have to mess with settings while driving to switch to aux cable, radio, etc or pull over and restart the car completely. We have verified the issue with 6 different devices. None of the devices demonstrate the same issue with any other bluetooth devices (we use a speaker for hours on end in the house with no issues). Combine that with the infotainment screen being incredibly slow, this is a frustrating issue.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jan 202019

Outback

The screen has gone black and side lights blink, unable to use any item controlled by the screen. Appears the warning system for a vehicle stopping too closely is not working as well.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 192019

Outback

Sunroof exploded and shattered spontaneously while we were driving at highway speed

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 172018

Outback

Infotainment screen went black on December 17, 2018. Radio, navigation system, bluetooth and rear camera are all inoperable.

- Centennial, CO, USA