7.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Toyota 4Runner:

Apr 212018

4Runner

Took my vehicle in for a recall something to add support to maybe grill of the vehicle on 21st of April. Sat in waiting room for 2 hours, service guy, brandon(very nice guy and this is not his fault), came out and told me they would need to price me a new grill, because one I have don't support the recall. I refuse to pay for something that I should not have to, when there is a recall. When you get a recall it's to fix the problem, therefore if my car needs a new grill to support what they need to do, then dealership should pay for whatever it is to fix the recall. I purchased this vehicle as is from the dealership.

- Senoia, GA, USA

Apr 242018

4Runner

Toyota entune (iphone app) will not pair with your phone or disconnects during use because app does not maintain the user's login credentials. The behavior of the connectivity between the vehicle's entertainment system and phone is difficult to predict, sometimes the system won't work without the phone's app running and other times it will - sometimes it won't work even when the app is running. Often, when the entertainment system fails to connect it stops functioning and pops up messages that require user input while driving. Many times the phone appears to be connected until after you start driving and then the system asks for input (which you must do on your phone, not the entertainment system's screen). The whole point of connecting your phone with the vehicle's entertainment system is to eliminate the need to use your phone while driving, so a seamless connection without unnecessary user input is imperative to safe operation of the system. This is admittedly a relatively minor safety concern, however a fix would be remarkably easy to achieve and would go a long way towards reducing driver distraction. Toyota vehicle owners have been asking for this functionality for many years (see apple app store reviews for Toyota entune), but, despite multiple requests, Toyota motor company has repeatedly ignored their customers. This problem occurs across multiple vehicles in the Toyota lineup, but I am only familiar with the iphone app, so I'm not sure if it also exists with other phones. The issue has occurred consistently since we purchased the vehicle a year ago and persists despite keeping both phone software and vehicle firmware updated.

- Bend, OR, USA

Mar 282018

4Runner

Canada has recalled these vehicles (dot Canada safety recall 2017363) due to fire hazards from engine block heaters. As many northern latitude vehciles in the us have these same block heaters (and hazards) it is necessary for a formal recall to replace them, as was done in Canada.tried to upload a.doc document with additional information, but your system would not allow. Sadly you do not allow.doc or.docx documents as uploads, your loss....

- Homer, AK, USA

Mar 082018

4Runner

On Thursday March 8, 2018, my passenger-side front window exploded as I was driving down the highway at the posted speed of approximately 70mph. Nothing hit the window, and I hadn┐T hit a pothole or any bump in the road, there also was no extreme change in temperatures ┐ it just exploded into many pieces including small shards of glass. The glass went all over the inside of my car including both front and back seats and floorboards. The entire window exploded so that there was no window left in the opening. I believe it was faulty glass. I understand that there have been sunroofs exploding, and I believe that the glass issue is not just limited to the sunroof. I did save the receipt from having the glass replaced, but I don┐T currently have the ability to scan and attach it.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Dec 302017

4Runner

We were driving on the highway from dallas to houston and all of the sudden, we heard and explosion. At first we thought that something hit our truck, but when we opened the sunroof cover it was completely shattered. Some pieces hit the car behind us, but no one was hurt. Luckily the interior cover was closed.

- Houston, TX, USA