7.8

$2,010

Most common solutions:

1. add a quart every 1000 miles (83 reports)
  3. add oil (39 reports)
  4. repair pistons/oil leak (24 reports)
  5. replace engine (15 reports)
  6. repaired engine (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Nov 112018

Camry SE 4 cyl

We have always had to keep an eye on the oil level of this car. It burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Noticed it about a year into ownership. We never got any letters from Toyota in the mail over this. I think it's just ridiculous.

- Anthony S., Louisville, KY, US

Jul 012016

Camry

After every oil change within not even 1000 miles oil does not show up on gauge.

- Hiren P., Madison, US

May 012018

Camry

I only drive about 30 miles per day and I have to put at least a quart of oil in my vehicle weekly. If I drive interstate at normal speeds, I have to put 2-3 quarts in after a 150mile round trip.

- Sherri S., Gray, US

Oct 012018

Camry LE 2.4L

Oil consumption at high rpm. Gunked up pistons rings are doing that. Not covered under Toyota warranty since it already passed the 10 year/150,000 gap.

- Nabeel A., Burnsville, MN, US

Aug 012017

Camry 4 cyl

I purchased my 2007 Toyota Camry thinking that it would be a good reliable car for me and my children as I am a single mother. This was the 1st car I bought from a dealership and took a loan out on. After only 6 months of having the car the engine started knocking because of the oil consumption problem. I had to get rid of the car that I am still paying on and purchased another car which I am paying on as well. So essentially I am paying on 2 cars and only have 1. This has created a great hardship on my family as I mentioned previously that I am a single mother trying to make ends meet and this did not help in any way. It has only made worse problems for my family.

- Micki B., Le Claire, US

May 062018

Camry LE 2.4L

After taking care of the car maintenance ,I find out the oil consumption was known to Toyota, yet they never advised the customers of the problem.

- Jerry L., Chicago, IL, US

Jul 312018

Camry LE 2.4L V4

I am changing engine oil every time with not even 500 miles after changing the oil. I need to check everytime the level oil in the engine as the maintenance light is not turning on, that's very awful. I am not sure how much it will cost for repairs but it's costing too much every time to change the oil.

- Vamsi M., San Diego, CA, US

Dec 122016

Camry V4

Burns oil/leaks oil constantly. I stay on top of it by paying my mechanic enough money to put his child through private university or buy a new boat, either way guessing that is better than having a car payment. I fully expect that at some point engine damage will be done and just performing regular oil changes and maintenance check-ups will not be enough. Holding my breath.

- slw07, Austin, US

May 012018

Camry LE 2az-Fe

I had the car tested for excessive oil consumption in 2016 when it had about 65000 miles. Although it was burning some oil, the service manager said it was not excessive. In 2018, I have to ad 1.5 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. The dealership said the TSB expired at the end of 2016 and they would not fix it under the limitations of the TSB. I called Toyota corporate and they sounded sympathetic, but they were not willing to authorize the repairs.

- George B., Marietta, GA, US

Feb 012018

Camry SE 2.4L

2007 Toyota Camry is horrible. Bought it as a second owner at 40k from local dealer and car was running fine until I hit 60k, when I hit 60k the engine starting burning off a lot of oil. I have to add motor oil every 2 weeks and keep my eye out on the dipstick every other day because I do not want the engine to blow up on me!

I called the local Toyota and they advised that there was a 10 year/150k recall. I bought the car in 2014 and they advised me that they sent the EXTENDED WARRANTY ENGINE OIL BURNING FIX NOTICE to the FIRST OWNER!!!!! How is that my fault as the second owner? Now I'm stuck with a car that burns engine oil

Thanks a lot TOYOTA. I'm done with this crap and going back to HONDA

- Sylack U., Stockton, CA, US

Jul 232018

Camry LE V4

TOYOTA CAMRY 2007 lE 2AZ-FE ENGINE CONSUMES TOO MUCH OIL. I HAD AN OIL CHANGE AT 173000 KMS AND THE GUY TOPPED IT AS HE WAS AWARE OLD CARS CONSUME EXTRA OIL. BUT NOW AT 175250 KMS THE DIP STICK HAS BARELY OIL ON IT. CHECKED FOR LEAKAGES. NO LEAKAGES FOUND.

- Jassi P., TORONTO, ON, Canada

Dec 012017

Camry LE 2.4L

Having lots problems, I need to add a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Costing me lots of money.

- Martin P., La Puente, CA, US

Jan 012015

Camry LE 2.4L I4

Just sucks, have to add oil and make sure it's not dry.

- Kabi K., Kelowna, BC, Canada

Jan 012016

Camry V6

Car leaking oil. Every tank of gas used I'm putting in another 2 quarts of oil. Apparently was recalled but I had no idea there was even an issue with the oil until one day I just had none in my engine. It's been a known problem but yet Toyota won't fix it, why do I have to buy a new car because Toyota decided to sell cars with the wrong size piston rings. Toyota should stand behind their cars and fix the problem, not making the customer pay for their mistake. I'll never buy a Toyota after this. Stand behind your product and stop screwing over the customers.

- Danielle H., West Bend, WI, US

Aug 312018

Camry LX

My 2007 Camry starting burning a lot of oil. When I contacted Toyota, I was told that they were aware of some type of issue with the piston assembly, but that I was calling past the time they were honoring the repair process. How in the hell am was I supposed to know there was a piston assembly problem until my car starting burning oil like crazy? I also own a 2015 Camry but am now starting to question my choices.

- Tasha T., Gretna, US

May 012017

Camry SE 2.4L

I have to put oil in my car every 1k miles. There is no oil leak. white smoke comes out the tailpipe then quickly disappears. It's slow to accelerate. I have been told that the pistons are worn out in the car.

- Jay J., Kansas City, MO, US

Sep 232018

Camry LE 2.4L 4

You have to keep watch on the oil and have oil changed before three months.

- Brittany H., Gilmer, US

Jun 012018

Camry

Toyota should make owners aware of this problem so they know to check their oil in between oil changes. Toyota should also provide a fix. I will not buy another Toyota if they do not provide a fix for this problem.

- Cindy S., Chilhowie, US

Feb 012018

Camry LE 4 cyl

Toyota dealership performed their "warranty enhancement" test on my car, but did not find it was consuming enough oil at that time. I'm out of luck now that my car IS consuming enough oil to qualify and they will not cover it now.

- Tim T., Rockingham, NC, US

Aug 032018

Camry

I regularly maintain my car and have changed the oil every 3K. My engine blew a rod and the Toyota mechanic verified that it was due to low oil. This is very disappointing.

- Marcus A., New York, NY, US