7.8

$1,900

Most common solutions:

1. add a quart every 1000 miles (62 reports)
  3. add oil (32 reports)
  4. repair pistons/oil leak (22 reports)
  5. replace engine (12 reports)
  6. rebuild engine (4 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Sep 012016

Camry SE 2.4L 4-cyl

Having purchased this vehicle from a previous owner, I was not entirely sure what I would be facing in the realm of auto maintenance whether in the immediate or relatively distant future. He told me that he had the car serviced regularly, he never had any issues with the vehicle, and that it was a great car. My guess is that by having work done in the shop, he was never made privy to the amount of oil his Toyota went through.

Now it's my Toyota, has been for the better portion of three years.

While I do enjoy driving this car, it does well getting me where I need to go, I have always been blown away by how much oil I actually need to put in the engine just between oil changes (I do it myself...had a garage stiff me a whole quart one time and ran out halfway across the Mass Pike...that was the end of taking it in somewhere).

Upon reading the owner's manual, I noticed that it does state there is an expected amount of oil that will be consumed over a certain amount of miles, however, my Toyota's rate of consumption far exceeds this. I am putting so much oil in that sometimes I feel like oil changes are a waste of resources considering the rate at which I'm adding fresh oil. By changing the oil I'm draining about a quart or two of oil that is virtually fresh. The only other car owners who ever mention adding SOME oil between changes own old trucks/car with larger, more powerful engines. Naturally, those cars will burn a bit due to the load continually put on the engine and thus the seals in it.

I should not have to add oil to a car at the rate I do. I should not be expected to pay extra to maintain an engine that was negligently engineered. I know that Toyota got into some hot water for this a while back, just hoping the water hasn't cooled off too much and I can still get this taken care of. Ignorance is bliss, but it sure makes for increased annoyance/frustration when revelation occurs.

- Cameron S., Quincy, US

Apr 022017

Camry LE 2.4L

I have my oil changed about every 3,000 to 5,000 miles at the Toyota dealer. My husband ask me to ask the Toyota dealer to check for an oil leak because my oil level would be low before my next oil change. They told me I did not have an oil leak and they did not know why my oil was low before each oil change. My husband did some research on the 2007 Toyota Camry and found out Toyota knows there is an issue with the 2007 Camry burns oil excessively. The Toyota dealer knows about this and did not say anything! Why has Toyota or the dealer not told me about this problem! Are they going to wait until my engine lock up?! I bought my 2007 Camry brand new and have been the only owner. I love my car and it's my only transportation. What can I do?! They should have told me about this over a year ago and fixed the problem!

- Delanie T., Chattanooga, US

Oct 102017

Camry LE 2.4L

MAKE THIS A RECALL! EPA IS TO BLAME FOR TOYOTA TO USE SUBSTANDARD PISTON RINGS.

- Chris R., Salem, OR, US

Apr 262016

Camry LE 4 cyl

I am in the process of looking for an attorney to take this matter up as a class action. The case that was filed before was voluntarily dismissed and there are no pending lawsuits on this issue right now. One needs to be as I see so many having the same issues as me. If you are interested in being part of the this, please send me a way to contact you and I can fill you on the details. Thanks

I have 2 of these affected cars. One had already been "repaired" by Toyota dealer because it failed the oil consumption test. The other one passed despite the existence of the problem. The one they repaired also required engine repairs due to this issue. They would not fix this damage and told me that they were only responsible to replace the rings. The car is still using too much oil and now also has this engine damage that they would not fix.The other car has the same issues.

I cannot afford to either fix these cars or replace them. It is not fair that Toyota sold these cars with this known engine part defect and then waited till it got pushed by the lawsuit that was filed to replace the defective parts and are not owning up to the subsequent damage caused to the engine itself due to low oil.

Please contact me to start another class action to force Toyota to make these repairs. Please send a way to contact you if interested. Thanks

- Susan G., Foxboro, US

Sep 012017

Camry SE 2.4L

I'm the third owner of this vehicle and went to the dealer to see if this issue is still covered by Toyota and they told me NO. They said they only covered vehicles under 10 years since the manufacturing year. When I asked how much it will cost to fix they said it is a 27hrs job and will cost $3,500 Canadian + taxes + some additional parts. I'm so pissed. I was hoping to drive this car more than 500,000 Km. I'm so disappointed. I was thinking to buy Toyota Sienna in the near future, but I don't think I will buy any Toyota products anymore.

- seyoumtek, Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Jan 102018

Camry LE 4cycl

My 2007 Camry has only 53K miles and is starting to use oil. It is near the 1 quart of oil for every 1K miles. I maintain my cars and have been happy with the many Toyota verticals I've owned in the past.

This is a big issue for me and I hope that Toyota takes ownership of the cheap parts they used on this model of camry.

I owned a 2000 V6 Camry till it had well over 250K miles and I never had it use a drop of oil.

Has anyone had a dealership replace their engine? My local dealership only tells me that I'm past my 5 year warranty.

- awolsfeld, Richardson, US

Jan 012017

Camry LE 2.4L

My Car runs fine apart from this oil consumption issue. With almost 4.5 qts of motor oil it just goes 1000 miles and then it's time to refill the motor oil again. It's pain filling up the oil every 1000 miles and it's hitting my pocket every 1000 miles. My car currently has 155k miles on it but it runs smooth and I'm using the best oil i can afford which is Pennzoil platinum high mileage full synthetic oil. On an average i drive 1000 miles every 15 days.. so now you can see how bad the problem is and being a loyal customer to Toyota, the company don't even want to fix this problem.

- David D., San Antonio, TX, US

May 012017

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

Car has been burning oil, 1 quart in less than 1000 miles. I thought since I bought it used, somebody didn't take proper care. Once it plugged the catalytic converter, I started looking on line and found that there was major problems with the 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder motor. I contacted Gault Toyota and the service manager checked to see if it would be covered. Because I had more than 150,000 miles, Toyota would not do anything. This was the second Camry I have owned. My 2003 had 358,000 before is died. I was expecting to get the same on this Camry.

- David B., Hallstead, US

Sep 012017

Camry LE 2az-Fe

My mother purchased this car after my father died so she would have something reliable to drive. She had it serviced regularly. Last year she was incapable of driving anymore and sold the car to me, her son. After driving the car for a while the engine oil light came on and the oil would not register on the dip stick. I had to put 4 quarts in to fill it up. After checking the oil periodically I noted I had to add a quart of oil about every 1.2K miles. I found out this particular engine has an oil consumption issue. I contacted Toyota and they would not help me. They say the car is out of the extended warranty period since it has been 10 years since purchase. What is so upsetting is that the car has only 52K miles on it. What a piece of junk. I will never buy another Toyota again.

- Barry L., Virginia Beach, VA, US

Nov 172017

Camry

I expected better longevity than I'm getting. I was indent to continue purchasing Toyota products, but now I am unsure. I have serviced the vehicle at the recommended intervals.

- Donald A., Ettrick, WI, US

Sep 262016

Camry LE V4

Dealer sealed oil opening.Send back only after 4000 miles.Dealer rejected to do one more time

- Reeja C., Raleigh, US

Feb 042017

Camry SE 2.4L

There is no complaint about the car, just have to add oil constantly. Never had a car that I had to check the oil so frequently, like every week. Best car I ever owned but putting oil in constantly suck. Buying a new car is too expensive on my budget. I read that Toyota put faulty pistons in a lot of cars not just mine. Can Toyota repair this engine at a reasonable price.

- Richard R., Muncy, US

Oct 142016

Camry ES 2.4L V4

I started noticing shortly before the car reached the 100k mark that the red oil light would blink when I pressed the brake to stop. I told the local dealer and they alerted me that I would have to go through an oil consumption test. The first two tests, the car passed the test and the oil that was burning off was not to the desired amount to be fixed. After going through multiple oil consumption tests at the dealership, the test finally failed and I was told that my car was out of warranty by the years. It was originally purchased in 2006 by another owner and because it was 2017, toyota was not liable to fix the problem they knew and still know exists in this engine type. I am now having to basically fill the engine with oil up to 3 quarts in between my oil changes. I am disgusted at the lack of customer service to rectify this factory defect.

- Mashonda T., Birmingham, AL, US

Feb 012016

Camry LE 4 cyl

Our main complaint is the engine burning oil. Minimal leaking on the ground. Overall it has been a great car, but this problem is annoying. We are adding oil all the time.

- Lance M., Lexington, US

Jul 152016

Camry LE 4 cyl

EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION SHORTENS THE CAR LIFE AND MAKES IT MUCH LESS VALUABLE TO RE-SELL IF ONE IS HONEST IN THE PROCESS WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE. MY ESTIMATE IS THIS COSTS ME ABOUT $3500 IN LOST VALUE PLUS I NEED TO CHECK THE OIL EVERY 2-3 WEEKS AND TOP OFF AS NEEDED.

- Tim W., Spokane, WA, US

Jun 062017

Camry LX V4

Called the dealer the car only have 112k miles now and they stated that I am out of warranty and that I will have to pay $2500 for repairs. They stated that the warranty is 150k of ten years really.

- Adwowa J., Montgomery, US

Oct 182017

Camry LXE 4 cyl

In Oct. I took my car in to get an oil change because my oil bell kept coming on as I turned sharp corners and they told me there was NO oil left in there. I was shocked as I always take care of my car. I decided to check my car's oil the next couple of weeks and sure enough there was NO oil in there again..I thought I had an oil leak but there was no signs of that in the engine or on my driveway. I know now after talking with other camry owners that there was a problem with the oil consumption and engine..I Just want my car fixed!!!

- Patricia B., Smyrna, US

Jan 012016

Camry V6

For many years I've had to keep putting in more oil than usual. Just recently, I put 2 quarts of oil in my car and within a week, it was low again. My brother said that is not normal and need to find out why. I checked to see if I have any leaking around where I park every night, and NO I have no leak or stain marks of oil on the pavement. My mechanic also noticed the problem of having too low of oil every time I brought it in to them.

My brother then found this problem with these cars (2007 - 2011 Toyota Camrys) on the internet. I have a 2007 Toyota, Camry. I'm so frustrated and it's been quite costly to keep having to put oil in my car so often, which is NOT normal.

I can provide my care VIN # once I get to it in the morning. I would like some advise, possible recall or possible courtesy oil service through Toyota or any organization that may be able to help.

Thank you much Denise Greenwald dgreen_wa@yahoo.com

- Denise G., Rolling Hills Estates, US

Jan 012012

Camry LS

My 2007 Camry started burning oil excessively. I check my oil every few weeks and the oil was going below the minimum mark every time I checked. Took it to Toyota and they said it is not a problem and will not be covered under warranty.

- Ramin R., Houston, TX, US

Aug 022016

Camry CE 2az-Fe 2.4L

Hello,

Camry has always been a good car. I have just recently replaced radiator on it at 141,000 miles. Battery was also original up until last month. It's been a good car and i am planning on driving it into the ground. I'm that kind of person, don't mind some work (what i can/know) and want my vehicle to be paid off. With the oil consumption issue, it's becoming a bit too expensive to own. I am using fairly ok oil for it and did not want to go cheap to possibly hurt it more.

I was never advised on the warranty extent ion regarding this problem. This all seemed to be done so quietly. Not fair, Toyota. Yes, I could have done research and would have likely found it so that's my fault also. Once I found out about the warranty extension to local Toyota dealer at Syracuse NY Burdick, they advised the warranty is no longer valid and refused to do anything.

Is it too late to do anything about this? Any input is appreciated.

Adin