7.7

$2,120

Most common solutions:

1. add a quart every 1000 miles (75 reports)
  3. add oil (35 reports)
  4. repair pistons/oil leak (24 reports)
  5. replace engine (13 reports)
  6. repaired engine (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Jun 012018

Camry

Toyota should make owners aware of this problem so they know to check their oil in between oil changes. Toyota should also provide a fix. I will not buy another Toyota if they do not provide a fix for this problem.

- Cindy S., Chilhowie, US

Feb 012018

Camry LE 4 cyl

Toyota dealership performed their "warranty enhancement" test on my car, but did not find it was consuming enough oil at that time. I'm out of luck now that my car IS consuming enough oil to qualify and they will not cover it now.

- Tim T., Rockingham, NC, US

Aug 032018

Camry

I regularly maintain my car and have changed the oil every 3K. My engine blew a rod and the Toyota mechanic verified that it was due to low oil. This is very disappointing.

- Marcus A., New York, NY, US

Jun 012018

Camry LE 3.2L

Excess OIL consumption, melting dashboard, water pump and alternator replaced twice.

- Judy J., Durham, US

Jan 012013

Camry LXE 4

2007 Camry documented oil changes. Scheduled maintenance done. About 2013 or later oil light came on. Got the recall or paper saying I could have it tested I did they said it was okay. Now I am burning one quart per tank of gas. 157000 miles. Drove my other Camrys to 300000 miles. No trade in don't want to sell it or trade it in to give someone else my problem. Extremely dissatisfied. This

Is our fourth Toyota. Our son and grandson work at Toyota in Georgetown. Thanks

- Patricia C., Louisville, KY, US

May 102018

Camry LE 4-2.4L

This car was purchased new and serviced exclusively by Toyota, Marina del Rey, CA. When we alerted Toyota to the excessive oil consumption, they did not mention a design problem with this particular car. It was only when we had some unrelated work done by an independent mechanic that we were told of this design defect. While the car is still operable, the excessive oil burning will eventually clog the catalytic converter which would cost $1200 plus labor to replace. A rebuilt engine would be another $1700.

- chrismanla, Los Angeles, US

May 102018

Camry LE 4-2.4L

This car was purchased new and serviced only by Toyota (Marina del Rey). When we first reported the excessive oil consumption to Toyota, they never acknowledged a design defect. It was only when an independent repair service did some work on the car and alerted us to the design defect that we knew about it. While the car is still operable with the excessive oil consumption, it will eventually ruin the Catalytic Converter resulting in a $1200 replacement. The engine replacement will run about $1700.

- chrismanla, Los Angeles, US

Jun 012009

Camry LE 2.4L

My 2007 Camry LE2.4 L has used excessive oil since I bought it in 2009. Went through the testing twice and dealer denied it qualified for the TSB repair. This put it passed the extended warranty coverage conveniently. With my personal mechanic, we ran our own test going to 1,500 miles and it burns 2 (two) quarts of oil in that span. Obviously it qualifies for the repair which was more than 1 quart in 1,200 miles but no more warranty for this obvious known defect. Toyota needs to permanently fix these with a recall.

- Jeff L., Huntingdon, PA, US

Jul 092018

Camry

Apparently there was a TSB issued in August 2011 re excessive oil usage as a result of piston design; we never heard about this until our latest service on the 9th of July 2018.

Estimated cost of repair was $4,400.00 which included: kit, hoses, clamps, pistons, piston pins.

A second opinion was obtained 07/13/2018 and they suggested a rebuilt engine or a used engine with a price of between $5,000 and $6,000

- rkjackson99rj, Bringhurst, US

Jun 042018

Camry SE 2.4L

First of all I had the same problem in in January 2011, Miller Toyota of Anaheim had my car on three separate occasions for about 3 month and the problem, oil consumption was not fixed. They finally replaced the engine. It is now 2018 and this car has 260,000 miles with the replacement engine having only 180,000 miles on it, it is now burning oil in the cylinder. I'm going to talk to Toyota again about this problem but I'm concerned because the testing period has not expired and the care is out of warranty they are not going to do anything about this. I want this problem fixed.

- Richard M., North Las Vegas, NV, US

Feb 132018

Camry LE 2.4L

So I heard Toyota recalling 2007 Camry for oil consumption, but once I got there, they said that program has expired 3 month ago. Today is 07/07/18. I never received mail from Toyota and I bought it from Toyota certified dealer 2 years ago.... now the program expired. They won't help. They should never expire the program until they fix this problem 100%......

- Tego M., Lake Zurich, IL, US

Mar 242009

Camry LE 4 cyl

No one said anything about it, but now I am burning 2 quarts between oil change at least. Since we live in remote area, I check between trips to town and noticing it is getting worse. No oil leaks, so it must be burning it. Talked to a Toyota Master Tech and he said there was a paper on it, but due to my miles now, we have to pay. Absolutely not acceptable. We have been toyota users since 1997 and will shift to another next auto. Mechanics never said I was burning oil, just did the oil change. Loved Toyota once.

- Glen H., Logandale, US

Jul 052017

Camry LE 2.4L

Burned a quart and a half in 800 miles after last oil change. I have to watch the dipstick like a hawk. It's a real pain, and I worry about missing an oil check and damaging the engine.

- David C., The Dalles, US

May 282018

Camry XLE 2.4L

I bought Toyota Camry XLE because I thought they were reliable cars. I asked the salesman if there was anything wrong or any type of recalls on the vehicle. I was told it was just traded in by a local couple and is considered one of Toyota's best cars and best engines,2.4L. Within the first month of ownership and about 1000 miles I noticed the oil was low by one quart. Toyota says this is normal as cars get older, but I also own a Mercury Grand Marquis with over 200,000 miles which does not burn a drop even after 7500 miles.The Camry is such a beautiful car and otherwise is in near perfect condition. I looked up Toyota recalls and the only thing mentioned is this complaint site. If anybody knows of any legal actions that can be taken, I would love to know about them. I am very disappointed in the service Toyota has provided. I should have stuck with Ford.

- Daniel B., Wenona, US

Apr 042016

Camry CE 2.4L

I have a 2007 Camry that I bought new. After a few years I noticed that the engine was burning oil. As I do all of my oil changes, I noticed over the years that the oil consumption was getting greater and greater. My engine was consuming approx. 1qt. of oil every 800 miles. I went on line and searched "2007 Camry Oil Consumption" and found that others were having the very same issue with their Camrys and that Toyota provided an extended warranty on 2.4L engines with this problem. I've lived at my current address for more than 20 years and never received a notice from Toyota abut this problem. Upon finding out about the extended warranty in 2016 I took my Camry to the local Toyota Dealership (Halterman's Toyota in East Stroudsburg, Pa.) which did an oil consumption test. As expected, my engine failed the test miserably and the dealership agreed to fix it under warranty. And that Toyota would provide me with a loaner car while the repairs are being done. At this point my car had approx. 103,000 miles on it. It took approx. one week for the repairs (new pistons, piston rings, gaskets, etc.) and Toyota held true to their promises. The engine is no longer burning excessive oil.

However, I would like to add a comment about the dealership. When I was notified that the repairs were completed the first time I checked out the repair and noticed that the engine had very little oil in it and that there was very little coolant in the radiator and none in the overflow bottle. The service manager said that they were sorry and that they would make sure that all of the fluids would topped off when I picked up my Camry on the following day. I went back to the dealership on the following day and all of the fluids were topped of as they promised but now I noticed that air conditioning wouldn't blow any cold air ( they purged the system and didn't recharge it). Again, excuses from the service manager and this time they would recharge the air conditioning while I waited. Fast forward approx.,2 weeks and the "CHECK ENGINE" light turns on. I have a code reader and the codes that were logged were" Cylinder Misfires on cylinders 1,2,3, and 4". Being disgusted with Halterman's Service Center I decided to fix it myself. What I found was when the engine was reassembled the camshaft timing for both intake and exhaust was way off. After restoring the camshaft timing, no more "Check Engine" light and no more oil consumption.

Beware the Service Dept. at this dealership is TERRIBLE!!!

- Jerry S., East Stroudsburg, PA, US

Oct 012016

Camry XLE 2.4L

I bought my Camry 2 years ago. I thought there was an oil leak but after awhile I just realized that it was engine oil consumption. I spent a lot of money in oil changing and resealing the oil pan.

- Ahmed H., Farmington, US

Jan 092018

Camry LE

On my regular oil change, the mechanic informed me that the oil was nearly gone. He had no reason as to why this happened as he was the one that changed the oil. I decided to get a second opinion and was recommended another mechanic. Requested an oil change and again the same thing happened as the oil had considered consumed and informed the new mechanic. It was at that time he informed me of the oil consumption that was a major concern and that I had to now monitor the oil. I am now averaging 1 quart of oil every 1000-1400 miles. This has become a serious concern for me. THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED AND CORRECTED BY TOYOTA. They obviously knew of the defect and still continued to sell without no recourse. As the mechanic commented, " Toyota was one of the reputable and has now lost that, as this manufacturer was considered to be most reliable". I hope they will recall all vehicles with this issue. I will not purchase another car from Toyota.

- tigerp25, Margate, US

Apr 052014

Camry XLE 2.4L 4 cyl

Bought this car used at a reputable dealer and they never told me this car burned oil. I never knew it burned oil because I always had to bring it to them for oil changes in order to keep the warranty good. So for the last 4 or 5 years I have been adding 1 quart of oil every 500 miles.

- Jeannette I., Cutler, ME, US

Jan 012015

Camry 4 cyl

My 2007 Toyota Camry 4-cylinder burns oil bad. First noticed it in 2015 when the low oil pressure light came on while my wife was driving. In 2016 the dealership told me that it was a common problem with 2007 Camrys, and the fix is new piston rings, but the warranty or recall had expired! The problem has continued for the last 3 years.

Given that the fix would cost thousands, I just add oil. I add 2 quarts every other time I fill up the gas tank, so that works out to about 1 quart burned every 400 miles. It's a major annoyance, and I worry about one day forgetting, running the engine dry and burning it up! Hopefully I'll keep remembering to add the oil.

- Andrew G., Humble, TX, US

May 172018

Camry XLE 2.4L

I love this car. We always take care of the maintenance. My husband just changed the oil for me and we discovered when he took out the old oil there was only 2.5 quarts of oil in there. How the heck could that be. Its only been 3000 mile since the last oil change. I have just hit 100,236 miles on this car. Very disappointed in Toyota right know. Especial that Toyota knew this to be a problem. I never received any type of notification of this heavy oil consumption.

- Stacey R., Youngstown, OH, US