7.9

$1,458.00

Most common solutions:

2. add a quart every 1000 miles (43 reports)
  3. add oil (24 reports)
  4. repair pistons/oil leak (19 reports)
  5. replace engine (9 reports)
  6. repaired engine (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Camry LE 2.4L

Bought the car used at 117,000 miles and later noticed every 1,000 miles needed to add 1QT of oil, spoke to the Mechanic told me to sell the car. It has issues burning oil and has replaced engines on several cars from 2007-2009 and told me to buy either 2010 or 2011, better engines. Not very happy, wish I would have known before spending almost 6k.

- , Garland, TX, US

Dec 012015

Camry LE 2.4L

Back in December 2015 I went to IRA Toyota Tewksbury, Massachusetts for a known TOYOTA issue of EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. I had just found out after going through phases of changing OIL and then seeing the OIL LIGHT come up just after about 1,000 miles or so. I found out that this was a known issue by Toyota.

When I went to Toyota of Tewksbury, Massachusetts - they did their test and confirmed that indeed I had the issue. They accepted to REPAIR the vehicle which takes a few days. After I received the car back, I could hear a different sound from the engine after I started it but also sometimes when driving.

I went back to Toyota 1 week after to report the issue. They told me that they could not hear the noise or the different sound of the engine I was talking about. I was convinced but without proof that maybe something was loose or something was not done right when they had to take the WHOLE ENGINE OUT to repair this issue of EXCESSIVE OIL. I accepted to live with this noise and different sound thinking maybe my 2007 car was just getting oil.

A few months after, I noticed that the OIL light was coming on again - sometimes at 2,000 miles or less but I simply added OIL or went for an oil change. By January 2017 this year, the issue was becoming frequent so I called Toyota at 1-800-3331-4331 to complain. Toyota told me that I should go back to the same dealer since they were the ones who worked on my car in the first place. I told them that I did not feel comfortable since they had not done a good job in the first place. They insisted that I go there. They opened a case #1701232302 for my issue.

I went back to Toyota and they again did their diagnosis/test where they add OIL, put a seal on the oil stick and ask you to return when you see the oil light come on. The OIL light came on after just 1, 000 miles. I went back and Toyota confirmed that indeed there was an issue of EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. To my surprise they told me that they could not work on my car again because I came 14 months after and 14,379 miles ago. They told me that I was OUT OF WARRANTY. I have since called Toyota again at 1-800-3331-4331 to complain.

Toyota called back the local dealer in Tewksbury, Massachusetts and the local Regional Manager. They all said that they cannot take my car and if I needed it repaired - it would come out of my pocket. I am now stuck with a car which is starting to squeal and shake when I change gear or hold my foot on the clutch. I am scared as I drive it and keep hoping that it will not get me into an accident. It had just all of a sudden stopped on me in the middle of the road. Thank God I was on a small street and driving slowly. But the steeling wheel just went cold on me and I struggled to hold it and pull the car on the curb.

I have exhausted all avenues I know of and need help.

- , Dracut, US

Jun 142017

Camry CE V4

Religiously changed oil every 3 months / 3,000 miles - now 1,000 miles away from next oil change the oil light starts coming on - just for a couple seconds but I see it. I take it to the mechanic who tells me the engine is down 2 quarts - he's puzzled. I Googled the problem only to find that with Camry's 2007 thru 2011 this is a HUGE PROBLEM . . . . what makes it worse those with higher mileage are screwed. . . . so do I get a 'rebuilt' engine, add oil every 2 weeks or get a NEW CAR THAT WILL NOT BE A CAMRY!

- , Hammond, US

Camry LE 4

Burning oil, a quart every 1000 miles or so, and only 103,000 miles.

- , Bothell, WA, US

May 152015

Camry SE 2.4L

2007 Camry excessive oil consumption. This is a common problem with Toyota that affects numerous models between the years 2006 and 2011. There was a TSB sent out to dealers on this matter.

I bought my 2007 Camry in April of 2015 with 140,000 kms. on it believing that the Toyota product was good. After driving the car about a month I noticed the oil going down on the dipstick. Initially, I thought nothing of it and simply added oil between oil changes. I'm a stickler on oil changes and change the oil every 5000 to 6000 kms. and use only Castrol GTX motor oil. One day, a friend came to my house and we got to talking. He said his sister in laws Camry was doing the same thing and that she brought it into the dealer and they did an oil consumption test. The test revealed that she was burning over 1 liter of oil per 2000 kms. Toyota went good for the repair and fixed her car. So, off to Toyota I go. I had 236,000 kms on my car when they performed the oil consumption test. When I brought it back in, 2000 kms later, I was told that it was not burning a liter per 2000 kms so it didn't qualify for the repair. (I never did see what oil was on the dipstick when the dealer checked. I took their word for it). I asked them what's gonna happen if later on down the road it starts burning more oil. They told me that it was my responsibility and that Toyota had done their part in doing the oil consumption test. Well, here we are at 280,000 kms. and I'm burning a liter of oil every 1200 kms or so, depending on how I drive. I'm now using the more expensive high mileage Castrol oil in the hopes it will help my problem. So far, it hasn't made a bit of difference. This was my first Toyota and I bought it because of its reliability history. I doubt I'll buy another. If this is how Toyota treats it's customers, I may as well buy a domestic car as the Toyota's are not worth the extra money.

- , West Arichat, NS, Canada

Aug 272015

Camry CE 2.4L Litre

I bought my car from a reputable dealer in Kitchener (where I live) "USED" (as the Toyota rep explained to me was my fault for not doing my research ) but her lack of customer service/care is just a whole other problem I won't mention much.......

I started noticing my car burning a crazy amount of oil and was taking it in to get oil changes way more then I should have. Then one day I bring my car in for an oil change at Heffner Toyota (where I was going for almost all. my changes since I owned it) and they tell me about this "oil consumption test " that they can do to tell me if I qualify for the burning oil problem that is a known problem.

My car qualified to get fixed and they say Toyota Canada will send the part to fix it when it comes in (at the time I'm thinking what a great company to stand behind there mistakes and make it right, after all that's why I bought a Toyota to have a safe reliable car. I called about every 3-4 months to make sure they didn't forget about me, wasn't rude and they reassured me that there's no games being played and when the part arrives it will get fixed and in the mean time hold my oil receipts and they may even give me the money back for those as well. After making me wait well over a year "for the part to come in", I was in no better a state than before.

Now finally my part comes in and Heffner Toyota tells me to call Toyota Canada to verify before they go ahead with the repair. The customer service lady made me feel worthless because I bought a used car from a reputable dealer in my city.

They (Toyota Canada) asked me to provide the last 100,000 km's in oil change receipts. I only owned it for the last 60,000 and I took it to a Toyota dealership ,what more could I do ? well she said they can't fix the problem unless I give that info. I called the dealership I got the car from and they explained to me as of 2012 its no longer allowed to share previous owners info.

My major issue is a year and a half ago when they told me they would fix it when the part came in there was no mention I would have to provide such info ,instead they admitted it's a well known issue on these Camrys ,Now they refuse to fix it and my engine has got so bad over the time of waiting its barley driveable. I'm a single dad with not a whole lot of extra money had they mentioned I would have to provide info I can't even legally provide, I would have sod the car in the beginning. A recall is a recall and to treat me this way is insane, I was so proud to own a Toyota, not so much any more.

Please any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

- , kitchener , ON, Canada

May 122016

Camry LE 2.4L Inline 4 cyl

I recognized this problem early on with a distinct rattling/clunking sound that I would hear and kept on getting an oil change as needed. Asked many friends who work on cars and got it looked at. Finally when I go in for the dashboard I find out their is another oil problem. The guy at the dealership tells me to "just not worry about it and add oil every 1200 miles." The noise still kept on coming even after I added oil.

So I looked up this problem online and then went back to the dealership and called Toyota. The cs rep was very rude and said I will "deny" you to talk to a manger. The dealership said they can't do anything since the extended warranty ended at 150k miles. A couple of days later when I finally got a Toyota supervisor on the line, not even a manager, I was told that the time is over for the fix and I would need to pay Toyota 5k-6k to fix this problem!!!! Very disappointed in this 2007 Toyota Camry.

- , Memphis, US

My Camry 2007 with 131 000Km burns more than a liter / 1000 Km

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Dec 012016

Camry LX V6

I will never ever ever buy another sorry ass Toyota!!!

- , Lexington Park, US

Apr 042017

Camry

Toyota is ripping off by producing engines that takes excessive oil consumption. It is high costly and always a pain to keep checking oil after few hundred miles. Changing valve and changing brand oil did not worked out either. Very disappoint from the Toyota brand.

- , Edmond, US

Mar 012011

Camry

I have been having to add oil to my 2007 Camry between changes since 2011. This is ridiculous. We took it in to the dealership several times and they told us they did not have time to fix it however the recall was for a lifetime to not worry about it. I just called and they told me that it is out of date and cannot be fixed. I am needless to say not happy!!!!

I believe this should be fixed under the recall as this was a recall and the dealership gave me the wrong information. Gambrel Toyota in Corbin, KY was the dealership. There have been too many recalls on this car!

- , Barbourville, US

Jul 012015

Camry LE 4s

July 2015 my check oil light came on, I put 5 quarts of oil in my car, three weeks later I checked the oil and I had to put 2 more quarts of oil in the car. I began to put oil in the car once or twice a month 2-4 quarts at a time. In September, I took my car to the local Toyota dealer, they said the could do an oil consumption test to determine if my car needed a part that was on "back order" and this was an issue for this make and model. So, I let the dealership tag my car, I brought the car back during the test so they could check the oil without messing up the test, they had to put a quart in at that time. Then I took the car back to finish the test. They said my car passed the test and that there were 12 other people ahead of me for the same issue and they don't have the part and it's back ordered. The mechanic said to continue to check the oil and put it in as needed. So, I had other maintenance issue after this, took the car back had an oil change and informed them, I'm still putting a lot of oil in my car. They continued to tell me the part is still on back order. So a year goes by and I'm still putting oil in this car. When I initially took the car in it was under the 150,000 mile warranty, Now I have 176,000 miles on the car and the dealership is telling me that there is noting they could do, but I would have to pay out of pocket to have my engine pulled and they would have to replace the engine......I have paperwork from the dealership with the mileage stating that I was under warranty and my car "passed" how can a vehicle pass and then a year later they are telling me I need a whole new engine. I contacted cooperate office and told them the situation. They said Toyota is not liable to pay for any of this, but I could if I would like. I told them, I brought the car in when it was under warranty and they just keep saying it passed. No it did not!! I'm putting 3 quarts of oil in this car, weekly. I'm so frustrated with this whole mess. They completely lied and brushed this under the rug. Now, I have a bigger problem when they could have just fixed it from the beginning.

- , Laporte, US

Jan 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

I have been dealing with this problem for along time, and I am tired of it, I already had an oil consumption test done at Manhattan beach Toyota, was told everything is normal.

I do not want to keep watching the oil dip stick anymore, I am afraid to have my children drive it.

- , El Segundo, CA, US

Aug 012016

Camry LE 2.4L

Excessive Oil Consumption on my TOYOTA Camry 2007.....

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Feb 022017

Camry LE

I bought two Toyota Camry LE from Cowboy Toyota, Dallas, one 2007 and other one 2011 Models. Since then both Cars were being maintained by the same Dealership only including Oil Change, Changing the Batteries, Brakes etc. I had full trust with them and whenever any additional maintenance required by the said vehicles, I was doing it from the same dealership according to the information provided to me by the Service Manager of the same dealership.

When I was applying the break on my 2007 Camry there was a 'Car' type symbol showing like the light blinking for Oil Change 'Maintenance Required' and I took the Car to the dealership for check up and regular Oil Change as usual and the Mechanic wrote in the comments that 'Oil Level-No Show-on-Arrival' and the Service Manager told me that the light is for 'Oil Light Flashing when stopping' and they cannot fix it without the authorization from 'Toyota Customer Care' and I have to spend at least $2,000 or more to fix it.

Then, I took up the matter with the Toyota Customer Experience Center, Plano, TX and Toyota Customer Experience Center Torrance, CA both refused to honor my genuine request. I had correspondences with all the concerned authorities of no use and they are saying that the 'warranty enhancement program' already expired on October 31st 2016.

As a matter of fact, Toyota sent me a 'Warranty Enhancement Notification-ZE7', which clearly says that "If my vehicle does not have this condition, do I need to make an appointment with my dealership? No, you do not need to take your vehicle to a dealership unless your vehicle is exhibiting the condition described in this letter. There was apparently no problem, so I didn't take the Vehicle to the dealership.

How can one know, if there is a problem exists or not? unless the dealership checked it. My problem actually started in between the last two oil changes 10/27/1016 & 02/02/1017.

I lost my trust in Toyota as well as the dealership. When I searched the web site for this particular issue, I found there are lot of people having the same problem and if everyone join together, then we can do something to solve this problem amicable, which I hope and wait for a fruitful result in the very near future.

- , Mesquite, US

May 182016

Camry LE 2.4L

Car burns 3/4 of a qt every 1200 miles. Toyota says; sorry won't fix it. Very sad they can get away with this. As a poor man, I cannot afford to fix it. Sold what I had of value to buy it.

But, on the bright side, Toyota dealer said I had 3 oil leaks I needed to fix before they would do the test. No oil on the ground where I park but 3 oil leaks? My Firestone oil guy says no way I had oil leaks. Who do you believe? Toyota? Firestone?

Besides that, I'm on my 4th car battery. Car has 94,000 miles. No one can tell me why.

Tires wear out fast and I rotate and alignment every 5000 miles. Wiper motor went under warranty.

Of the 4 cars I've owned, this one is the worst. I told a girl that works at the dealership that. She said; sometimes it happens. You get a lemon.

- , Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

Jan 202017

Camry SE

The add engine oil lamp came on but it had been only 2500 miles since last oil change. I added 2 quarts of oil. I checked it again after 2 weeks and it was low again so I added another quart and took it for an oil change and asked the technician if he saw any evidence of leakage. He said he did not and told me about the problem with Toyota engines. Since that oil change I went on a trip and checked it before I left. When I returned I checked it again and found it low, added 1 1/2 quarts. Total milage since oil change was 1600 miles.

- , Birmingham, US

Jan 032014

Camry LE

Always have to add 1 quart oil between every scheduled oil change.

- , Marcellus, US

Feb 172017

Camry LE 2.4L I4

I was cruising in express lanes at 65 MPH and suddenly the RPM goes to 5000 from 2000. The power shut down and I slowly pulled over to the shoulder. Luckily the brakes worked and I could steer the steering even after the power shut down. I tried starting the car but it didn't start for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile the towing services arrived and I towed my car to a safe place. When I tried starting my engine it started and when I try to accelerate, engine loses power at 2000 RPM and doesn't accelerate.

I tried to turn on the car the next day and it behave very normal. I checked the engine oil and there wasn't any engine oil trace on the dip stick. It was less than 1000 miles from the change of engine oil. Added 2 qt of oil and took it to the Toyota dealership. They said my primary coverage has expired and this problem is covered under secondary coverage. They performed the Oil Consumption Test and asked me to return back after putting about 500 miles on the car as it was consuming a lot of oil. My car failed the test and the problem will be fixed for free.

- , Chicago, US

Aug 032016

Camry LX 4L

I've had Camrys for years. My 2007 Camry suddenly started losing oil. My mechanic says it's probably the pistons, apparently a common problem in Camrys for a few years. I haven't fixed it yet because I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or if I should cut my losses and buy another car.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA