7.8

$2,290

Most common solutions:

1. add a quart every 1000 miles (86 reports)
  3. add oil (39 reports)
  4. repair pistons/oil leak (26 reports)
  5. replace engine (15 reports)
  6. repaired engine (6 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Jun 012017

Camry LS 2.4L

I have to add at least 5 quarts of oil in between oil changes now at 150,000 miles. This issue has gradually increased over the past year and a half. When I purchased the car I could go 6,000 miles between oil changes. A typical oil change will last me barely over 1,000 miles! Ridiculous!

- Lanie C., Gastonia, NC, US

Apr 022018

Camry LX V4

I got the oil sign on my dashboard about two years back that time Toyota send letter for oil consumption test to be done. I went to the dealer and they did just seal the oil cap and asked me to come back so they can verify the oil level. According to them the consumption is normal and did nothing. However, after a year of that every 1000 mile I am getting oil sign, so I have to add 1 qrt of oil. It's very annoying. I can't believe Toyota made an engine that has this issue and they have not done anything to recall or fix issue. I am sure there are 10000s of cars that have this issue but not reported yet. I feel Toyota is the worst car and company to buy a vehicle. Toyota should replace or rebuild the engine for free for all Camry.

- toyota suckss, Raleigh, US

Jun 042018

Camry LE 2.4L

I TRUSTED TOYOTA TOOK CAR IN 5X ASKING ABOUT OIL ISSUE SAME THING SAID NOTHING WRONG

- Keith B., Charleston, US

Jan 192019

Camry SE 2.4L

Overall, the TSB did not provide any coverage or resolution to my problem, simply due to being over the mileage; however, the problem is the exact as listed in the TSB.

Contacted Toyota after over the weekend the car's check engine light. I contacted the Toyota Dealer who explained the TSB expired Jan 2017 and it would need to be resolved with Toyota Corp. Spent greater part of 1/22/19 on the phone with Toyota who was able to pull service records from 2010 and 2011 where I complained about oil consumption at 64k, 75k, and 77k miles. Two oil consumption test were started but the dealer never followed up and documented any closing of the case.

I explained to Toyota that I felt since the issue was recognized in 2010 and 2011 and documented; Toyota should take some ownership of this problem and provide a reasonable resolution to the problem outside of the TSB. Even if I was notified of the TSB in 2015 the car was already over the mileage (August 2013 at 152k miles) the TSB would not have provided any resolution.

My concern is that Toyota should assist in fixing the issue (to which they noted in 2015) since the issue was voiced to dealer in 2010 and 2011 but not resolved -- Therefore the TSB would not apply in the situation but Toyota Customer Service overall should work to resolve this concern.

- Kareem S., Fayetteville, NC, US

Jan 272017

Camry LX

This Camry is awesome but I need put oil every 1000 miles and that situation is too much stress.

- Samly S., Davenport, US

Nov 152013

Camry SE

I bought my 2007 Toyota Camry SE last month. The car had 239,000 miles when I bought it. After changing the oil when I first purchased the car, 2,800 miles later on the odometer the oil light came on the dashboard. I took it into the dealership and told them that every time I step on the brake the oil light comes on. They looked up the car to see if it has been serviced at a dealership before and the car has been dealer maintained its entire life at Kolosso Toyota. I'm the 3rd owner and when they printed out the service history, I read that the 2nd owner who has just purchased the car in October of 2013 took the car to Kolosso Toyota complaining of the same problem. This car has been burning oil since at least October 2013, and its outside of the 10 year/150,000 mile recall for burning oil because of pistons issues in the engine. The dealer told me to just do more frequent oil changes and to bring the car in right away when the oil lights comes on. It would cost thousands to fix the issue is what I was told.

- Ahmad M., Chicago, IL, US

Nov 112018

Camry SE 4 cyl

We have always had to keep an eye on the oil level of this car. It burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Noticed it about a year into ownership. We never got any letters from Toyota in the mail over this. I think it's just ridiculous.

- Anthony S., Louisville, KY, US

Jul 012016

Camry

After every oil change within not even 1000 miles oil does not show up on gauge.

- Hiren P., Madison, US

May 012018

Camry

I only drive about 30 miles per day and I have to put at least a quart of oil in my vehicle weekly. If I drive interstate at normal speeds, I have to put 2-3 quarts in after a 150mile round trip.

- Sherri S., Gray, US

Oct 012018

Camry LE 2.4L

Oil consumption at high rpm. Gunked up pistons rings are doing that. Not covered under Toyota warranty since it already passed the 10 year/150,000 gap.

- Nabeel A., Burnsville, MN, US

Aug 012017

Camry 4 cyl

I purchased my 2007 Toyota Camry thinking that it would be a good reliable car for me and my children as I am a single mother. This was the 1st car I bought from a dealership and took a loan out on. After only 6 months of having the car the engine started knocking because of the oil consumption problem. I had to get rid of the car that I am still paying on and purchased another car which I am paying on as well. So essentially I am paying on 2 cars and only have 1. This has created a great hardship on my family as I mentioned previously that I am a single mother trying to make ends meet and this did not help in any way. It has only made worse problems for my family.

- Micki B., Le Claire, US

May 062018

Camry LE 2.4L

After taking care of the car maintenance ,I find out the oil consumption was known to Toyota, yet they never advised the customers of the problem.

- Jerry L., Chicago, IL, US

Jul 312018

Camry LE 2.4L V4

I am changing engine oil every time with not even 500 miles after changing the oil. I need to check everytime the level oil in the engine as the maintenance light is not turning on, that's very awful. I am not sure how much it will cost for repairs but it's costing too much every time to change the oil.

- Vamsi M., San Diego, CA, US

Dec 122016

Camry V4

Burns oil/leaks oil constantly. I stay on top of it by paying my mechanic enough money to put his child through private university or buy a new boat, either way guessing that is better than having a car payment. I fully expect that at some point engine damage will be done and just performing regular oil changes and maintenance check-ups will not be enough. Holding my breath.

- slw07, Austin, US

May 012018

Camry LE 2az-Fe

I had the car tested for excessive oil consumption in 2016 when it had about 65000 miles. Although it was burning some oil, the service manager said it was not excessive. In 2018, I have to ad 1.5 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. The dealership said the TSB expired at the end of 2016 and they would not fix it under the limitations of the TSB. I called Toyota corporate and they sounded sympathetic, but they were not willing to authorize the repairs.

- George B., Marietta, GA, US

Feb 012018

Camry SE 2.4L

2007 Toyota Camry is horrible. Bought it as a second owner at 40k from local dealer and car was running fine until I hit 60k, when I hit 60k the engine starting burning off a lot of oil. I have to add motor oil every 2 weeks and keep my eye out on the dipstick every other day because I do not want the engine to blow up on me!

I called the local Toyota and they advised that there was a 10 year/150k recall. I bought the car in 2014 and they advised me that they sent the EXTENDED WARRANTY ENGINE OIL BURNING FIX NOTICE to the FIRST OWNER!!!!! How is that my fault as the second owner? Now I'm stuck with a car that burns engine oil

Thanks a lot TOYOTA. I'm done with this crap and going back to HONDA

- Sylack U., Stockton, CA, US

Jul 232018

Camry LE V4

TOYOTA CAMRY 2007 lE 2AZ-FE ENGINE CONSUMES TOO MUCH OIL. I HAD AN OIL CHANGE AT 173000 KMS AND THE GUY TOPPED IT AS HE WAS AWARE OLD CARS CONSUME EXTRA OIL. BUT NOW AT 175250 KMS THE DIP STICK HAS BARELY OIL ON IT. CHECKED FOR LEAKAGES. NO LEAKAGES FOUND.

- Jassi P., TORONTO, ON, Canada

Dec 012017

Camry LE 2.4L

Having lots problems, I need to add a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Costing me lots of money.

- Martin P., La Puente, CA, US

Jan 012015

Camry LE 2.4L I4

Just sucks, have to add oil and make sure it's not dry.

- Kabi K., Kelowna, BC, Canada

Jan 012016

Camry V6

Car leaking oil. Every tank of gas used I'm putting in another 2 quarts of oil. Apparently was recalled but I had no idea there was even an issue with the oil until one day I just had none in my engine. It's been a known problem but yet Toyota won't fix it, why do I have to buy a new car because Toyota decided to sell cars with the wrong size piston rings. Toyota should stand behind their cars and fix the problem, not making the customer pay for their mistake. I'll never buy a Toyota after this. Stand behind your product and stop screwing over the customers.

- Danielle H., West Bend, WI, US