7.9

$2,720

Most common solutions:

2. replace piston and rings (41 reports)
  3. replaced engine (5 reports)
  4. the car's engine still runs abnormally (2 reports)
  5. toyota replaced rings and bearings (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Jan 012017

Camry 2.4L 4 cyl

I have to add at least a quart of oil every tank of gas. I am wondering why this problem with Toyota engines is not a recall?! My family have been Toyota drivers for many years. My mother buys a new Camry every 3 years religiously. We have to go to Honda.

- Ty P., Mountain View, AR, US

Jun 152017

Camry XSL

Bought the car in spring of 2015 and after a year of having it when I would bring it in for oil changes I was told that the oil level was low and each time it would be more and more. For the past year I have to bring it in about every 1000 to 1500 miles for a top off and each time there is no oil on the stick and about 2 quarts have to be added. I finally brought it to a mechanic to see if they had any ideas, and they checked to make sure there was no leaks and reported that everything was dry and no signs of any oil outside the motor. After this look over the mechanics only solution was to either put a new motor in or tear apart the original motor and replace any worn parts and hope it helps but may not fix the problem. So now I have to go in and have my oil topped off about every 1000.

- Tamra L., Oakdale, US

Oct 052018

Camry LE 2.4L

I bought Toyota Camry 2008 last year. I'm the second owner of this car. Yesterday I got an engine oil light when I stopped my vehicle on red light and stop sign. I contacted the Toyota dealership and went there. When they checked there is no engine oil on the dipstick. The guy said my car is burning engine oil. It was 1000kms left until the next oil change. What should I do now?

- Gagandeep S., Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jun 012018

Camry CE 2.4L

I have been very pleased with my 2008 Toyota Camry until recently. Once the vehicle reached 121k miles, it began to burn through oil, as much as 3 qtrs in a month, that is a LOT of oil consumption. I have had the car inspected twice for leaks, nothing, the undercarriage is very dry. I did research on-line to find out that this is an issue with this and other Toyota vehicles, yet no recall has been issued by Toyota and based on what I have read, it will not be covered under warranty. I am very disappointed because I understood the Toyota Camry to be a very good car and based on that believed Toyota made a sound product, but I guess I was wrong.

I work in the auto industry and know that it is very hard to gain the trust of Toyota in order to become a supplier for them because they have high standards and knowing this, I felt sure about my decision to buy a Toyota, this is VERY disappointing and I am regretting my decision.

- tina_g46, Eastpointe, US

Feb 012017

Camry LE 2.4L

I noticed last year my car was burning up oil, didn't think of it much. Had the gasket replaced since I thought maybe it was leaking. Never thought of it burning a lot of oil. Yesterday morning, my oil pressure light and check engine light came on, so I searched online and I never knew there was a open warranty on this issue that for me, expired January 2018. So I contacted and yes I'm not covered anymore. So now I am screwed. I definitely would've taken it in if I knew about this. So I guess it's my fault for not searching last year, but I'm not sure why they put a expiration date on this fix. I or many of us could been an exception since it expired this year, but like many believe, I believe to that Toyota really is not trying to deal with this. I hope this gets open again, I'm sure my car would fail the test and my problem would be fixed.

- Luis C., Houston, TX, US

Camry LE L4 2.4L

Owner of 4 cylinder 2008 Camry. Started noticing excessive oil consumption early in 2018, called Toyota and they told me about an enhancement warranty on my vehicle but I was not eligible since it expired lat December 2017. I was prepared to give this Camry to my daughter and I would by a new Toyota. Feel frustrated and mad, I can't afford to buy used vehicle for my daughter and a new one for me. I have 3 kids and I have given both my son's the older Toyotas and I would get a newer one. It has worked out well until now. Very disappointed in Toyota. Not sure why what to now.

- Patrick K., Brookville, OH, US

Aug 022010

Camry SE 2.5L

Had it tested and Toyota says it isn't excessive. The good gas mileage doesn't help when using this much oil. A quart every 1000 miles.

- Marchell A., Altoona, US

Feb 152018

Camry SLE 2.4L

Toyota did oil consumption test and said it passed. They added 5 quarts according to their paperwork. Should have only been 4.5 quarts. When they added a quart of oil after 1100 miles it showed it was above the full line so they passed it. After that I drove 900 miles and checked, it was a quart down. We just hit 102000 miles in June of 2018, as it wasn't driven much the first five years, only 22,000 miles.

Toyota knows there is a problem, but won't fix their problem, bad rings. Extended warranty to 10 years, but because of the low miles in the early years problem just showed up recently. Missed the 10 years by 3 months. Toyota has a no exception policy. Now they can not be responsible for their bad engine and act like it never happened.

Would like my rings replaced with quality rings as expected when purchased.

- Michael L., Waukesha, US

May 012018

Camry CE 4

Trying to work my way through college and can not afford a car problem. That is why I got a got this car. Very sad. I will not get another Toyota.

- Dionne D., Belle Chasse, LA, US

Camry LE

My 2008 Camry recently began burning oil at an extremely high rate. I have researched this issue and see it is unfortunately a common problem for this car.

- Shelley C., Battle Creek, MI, US

May 182018

Camry SE 2.4L

Toyota TSB clearly shows they were aware of problem. With 10 year 150,000 mile warranty up Toyota disclaims responsibility on a vehicle meticulously maintained. Post enhancement warranty they should still consider valid claims.

- Terry S., Loveland, OH, US

Oct 112017

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

Just happens right after I buy another Toyota, my Camry is using excessive oil. Googled this and cannot believe that a car that is suppose to be the most dependable on the market has this type of engine problem and Toyota chose to not tell their customers. This will be my last Toyota, I do not want to do business with a company I cannot trust. Very disappointed.

- Kris D., Ostrander, OH, US

Jul 042017

Camry LE 3.2L

losing oil, cannot afford to keep buying oil on ss

- Richard C., Springfield, MA, US

Apr 092018

Camry LX 2.4L

This car is actually my fathers car. His name is Phil Myhre he is 91 years old and depends on this car everyday. He is the second owner of this car and has had it approximately 3 years. If I remember correctly when he bought it had approximately 130,000 miles on the engine it now has 158,300 miles. He has always taken it to Jiffy Lube to have the oil & filter changed every 3,000 miles since he has owned it.

In early March of this year 2018 I was with him and I was driving when the oil light lit up. I pulled over immediately and checked the oil level which did not even register on the dip stick. I had to add 2 quarts of oil. The latest oil change from Jiffy Lube was only about 1,500 miles ago so I originally thought that they shorted him on oil. I then took over the oil changes myself and have discovered that this car is using oil and it is not leaking or any sign of "Blue Smoke" I have had to add about 2 quarts of oil every 1500 miles.

I recently found out about Toyota's excessive oil consumption warranty enhancement notification -ZE7 program and called Toyota on it. They told me because the car has 158,300 it will no longer be warranted. I think this is poor customer service on Toyota's part as my father never received any notification letter from them also this is their product and they knew they had issues with this particular engine. The engine category is the 2AZ-FE, 2.4 L, 2008 Toyota Camry.

- Brian M., Bremerton, US

Mar 012017

Camry LE

I bought the 2008 Camry new when I retired thinking it would last for at least 20 years. I noticed it began using oil around 100000 miles but thought it was normal since I had the oil changed every 5000 miles as recommended by the dealer. It is using 2 quarts in less than a 1000 miles and after adding oil it will last 600 miles before needing more added. I will never buy another Toyota product is the company doesn't take care of this problem.

- Barbara B., Weaverville, US

Feb 142018

Camry

I took my car to the Toyota dealership on February 14,2018 because I was told by a mechanic that I probably had an oil leak because my car was burning excessive oil. Once I arrived at the dealership, I told them to check for an oil leak. I was told by the technician that they did not find an oil leak, but my power steering was leaking. The repair cost me $392.00. On March 12, 2018 I took my car back to the dealership because I had no oil in my car. I had to buy a quart of oil to put in my car in order for me to drive it to the dealership. Once I arrived and expressed that I had just gotten an oil change last month on February 14, 2018 and now my oil level was extremely low. After checking out my vehicle, the technician informed me that there had been problems with excessive oil consumption for 2008 Toyota Camry’s but the time had expired for Toyota to repair it for free ( it expired January 2018). I was never notified of the recall so how could I know about the excessive oil consumption problem. The technician said that the engine would have to be broken down in order to diagnose the exact problem and that would cost about $2000. I think it is very scheming and conniving of Toyota dealerships not to notify Toyota owners of potential problems. The technician told me that “Oh, we would never just tell the owner’s of potential problems.” I think it is bad business and very deceptive to purposely hide information from consumers. Now I’m left with an engine repair bill.

- Joycelyn O., Mobile, US

Nov 012015

Camry 2.4L

This problem was told of this problem by mechanics when conducting oil change. At that time, the engine oil had only about one quart left. After that I began to use this car, not my wife. I check it every 500-600 miles. I have to add a half quart engine oil at least.

- sailorus, Chino Hills, US

Dec 012013

Camry SE 2.4L

I never received any recall on this car. We noticed it used a bit of oil early on but Toyota said that was normal? Time went by and we had gotten an oil change and like 3 weeks later my wife pulls in drive and I hear a light ticking sound, so I checked the oil and there wasn’t any on the stick. I started watching close and the car was using almost a quart week. We stopped driving the car as much. Toyota will not fix it. It now uses a quart every 200 miles or so..... 2000 to 3000 dollar fix that’s not my fault but the manufacture.

- macmoney$, Hopkinsville, US

Camry V4

TOYOTA DID NOT SEND A RECALL OUT FOR THE PROBLEM WITH THE PISTONS, WHICH CAUSED EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. MY CAR RAN OUT OF OIL AND NEARLY BURNED MY ENGINE UP. MY LIGHT DID NOT COME ON TO LET ME KNOW MY OIL WAS LOW. I RANDOMLY CHECKED THE OIL AND FOUND IT EMPTY. FOUND OUT ABOUT THE PROBLEM. BROUGHT IT TO TOYOTA THEY TOLD ME I HAD AN OIL LEAK WHICH I GOT FIXED. BROUGHT IT BACK AND THEY TELL ME ITS OUT OF WARRANTY NOW. STILL EXCESSIVELY BURNING OIL.

- Susan G., Marrero, US

Dec 012016

Camry CE 2.4L L4 Dohc 16v

Burning 1 qt of oil every 600 miles. Toyota acknowledges there is a design defect but won't fix since it is past the warranty extension. How am I supposed to know there was a warranty extension? They said the dealer would tell me when I go into service. But, I say that I don't go to my dealer for service. They say that is why I should go to a dealer for service. Really shady way to say you have provided a warranty extension for a known design defect but then do not provide adequate notification to the consumer. This oil consumption defect can cause engine failure in a moving vehicle. Big fail for Toyota.

- Andy C., Franklin, MA, US