Most common solutions:

2. replace piston and rings (32 reports)
  3. replaced engine (5 reports)
  4. the car's engine still runs abnormally (2 reports)
  5. toyota replaced rings and bearings (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Mar 012018

Camry V4

- Susan G., Marrero, US

Dec 012016

Camry CE 2.4L L4 Dohc 16v

Burning 1 qt of oil every 600 miles. Toyota acknowledges there is a design defect but won't fix since it is past the warranty extension. How am I supposed to know there was a warranty extension? They said the dealer would tell me when I go into service. But, I say that I don't go to my dealer for service. They say that is why I should go to a dealer for service. Really shady way to say you have provided a warranty extension for a known design defect but then do not provide adequate notification to the consumer. This oil consumption defect can cause engine failure in a moving vehicle. Big fail for Toyota.

- Andy C., Franklin, MA, US

Aug 012012

Camry LX Four cyl

I have a Toyota Camry 2008. I bought it in Summer 2012 with bank loans. Since I bought this car, I had abnormal engine oil consumption. Actually, I believe all cars may have engine oil consumption to some extent. However, my car has had always too excessive engine oil consumption such that I have had to add quarts of oil after 2,000-4,000 driving mileage which has been always far behind oil-filter replacement services at 5,000 miles.

I have had experience with Toyota Corolla, and comparing Corolla and Camry, I realized that the Camry engine oil consumption is much significantly more than Corolla despite that the Corolla is even one year older.

I tested various oil types, from the finest to the conventional oils, and various filters, from the finest to the genuine Toyota filters. All of these demonstrated much significant engine oil consumption without any observable difference for engine oil consumption between them.

Ultimately, in 2016, I took my Camry to a Toyota Center and they suggested to run an engine oil consumption test (which Toyota had offered in a recall due to a manufacturing problem in the engine -- either in pistons or rings, or both). I accepted to run the test, and after the test, the technician confirmed that the test did not show significant engine oil consumption, and they did not fix my car.

I decided to run the test again in 2017; however, I could not finish the test due to going over the expected mileage for bringing the car back to complete the test. Right now, the car is out of the recall warranty period which is 10 years after the car purchase.

This engine oil consumption problem is a Toyota manufacturing fault and must be fixed as soon as possible by Toyota at any time without any test requirements. Toyota announced 2008 Camrys have this problem, and the problem is there in all 2008 Camry cars not only in diagnosed cars. Technicians may make mistakes in running the test; however, the manufactured pieces (piston and/or ring in my case) are all faulty in all 2008 Camrys. Requesting to run a test is not reasonable at all for a car type that is legitimately proven by the manufacturer or numerous customers to possess a faulty piece or pieces.

I called the Toyota Customer Services North America [at number (800) 331-4331] during the past several days (February 24 and 26, 2018) and talked to several ranking customer services agents up to a supervisor (named James Fewel – Operation Supervisor – located at P.O. Box 259001, Plano, TX 75025). All of them failed to resolve my issue as I requested them to fix my car manufacturing problem at Toyota expense. Their justification for not giving me any service was that they are fair to customers because they treat all customers the same with the same service that Toyota (the faulty manufacturer) has specified. They described the Toyota service as “taking car to a Toyota Center and running engine oil consumption test” (for a proven manufacturing problem originated from Toyota engineers or designers), which is not possible for my car anymore because I am out of the deadline to do so.

All in all, I strongly urge Toyota to fix this issue timelessly before people fall into bigger and far more serious troubles of losing the car engines (and consequent safety issues) and filing numerous lawsuits against Toyota.

Best regards, A Former Loyal Costumer of Toyota Car Products and Services

- Mahdi H., Austin, US

Nov 062017

Camry ES 2.3L 4 cyl

This problem was consistent. We had to check the oil on a frequent basis and at times replace the gaskets. The mechanic would check the oil leak every oil change and would have to tighten the bolts until it the time came to where we had to replace the gaskets. Then the process would start over again.

- Jason H., Moody, US

Feb 062018

Camry LX

My mechanic (not at the dealership) just told me that my 2008 Camry is burning oil excessively. Anyone else having this issue? Is Toyota doing anything about it?

- Brice D., Elkridge, MD, US

Jan 212018

Camry XSL 4 cyl

Toyota needs to protect their reputation. If not corrected I will switch to HONDA.

- Jerry F., Chino Valley, US

Sep 012016

Camry CE 2.4L

I have had 3 oil consumption tests done with the dealer indicating that the car past the 1100-1200 miles test. However, whenever I change the oil, only about 2 quarts are emptied out, and the car now shows the oil light with 2,000 plus miles remaining since the last oil change. There is no way this car is not burning oil given the small amount of oil emptied during each oil change. The dealer is either wrong or the consumption issue only shows up after the 1200 miles.

- Patrick E., Waxchaw, US

Dec 012017

Camry V4

I had received the extended warranty coverage letter for the excessive oil consumption more than a year ago. No issues until possibly October 2017 when oil maintenance light kept coming on, an event after oil change after just 1000 miles (usually every 5000 miles before). Then got car checked out and mechanic found almost no oil in car. Car was driving poorly with sometimes stalling. I got an oil change and car worked fine for two weeks and had same problem.again.

By this time, I remembered the warranty and went to Toyota Dealership where the told me the warranty was not valid due to car being over 10 years old. Anyway they filled car with oil and told me to return in 1100-1300 miles for the results of the test which I will later know. I don't have much hope of getting this fixed under warranty.

Update from Feb 24, 2018: I got the car checked out by the dealership and the test showed the excessive engine oil consumption is occurring but the car is no longer under warranty. It will cost $2800 to fix the piston issue.They told me to call the Toyota company (1-800 number) to see if they could help. I will see what happens.

- aducatcher, Spring, US

Aug 012017

Camry LE 2.4L

My car has been very well maintained, everything on-time. Back August, Jiffy Lube told us that my car is consuming about 2 QT every 3K miles. I read about it and it is a known issue with Toyotas, I need them to resolve my car issue because it is very expensive for me to carry with a manufacturer faults.

- ezsosa, Egg Harbor Township, US

Aug 022017

Camry Camry SE 4 cyl 2.4L Gas

I have to refill the oil at least every two weeks. And I'm tired of checking and refilling. My Toyota Sienna Van never has to do this! I've had this Camry for over a year and it's time for me to do something about this oil consumption.

- Al L., San Jose, CA, US

Dec 012016

Camry LE 2.4L

Car is burning up oil and I wasn't sure why. but I read through many people having the exact same issue but the repair seems too expensive. there has to be a solution to this..

- kinglgc17, Houston, US

Jun 012016

Camry CE 4

took car in when i received the letter they did the test and said that 1 litre per 1600 km was not excesive but now i check every couple of days and it is always down I have had toyotas for since 2000 and this is my first time they don't seem to care about my problem

- mcisaac, Milton, ON, Canada

Oct 172015

Camry LE 4 cyl

I received a recall notice for oil consumption I believe in the summer of 2015. I didn't have any issues with oil consumption at the time. However around October 2015, I began to notice the car was burning through oil, I requested a oil consumption test---but it came back that there was no issue. At the time of the oil consumption test my car was at 190,000 miles.

Now, the car is starting to burn more oil even after regular oil changes from Moss Bros Toyota in Moreno Valley. I just got my oil changed on August 4th 2017. Well two weeks (8/18/2017) after my change I noticed the oil sensor would flash every time I came to a stop. I check the oil in my car and there was barely any on the dipstick. As a result, I added more oil myself to avoid burning up the engine. I called the service advisor at Moss Bros who helped me two weeks prior. I explained the situation and told him I had an oil consumption test 2 years ago and was advised everything was normal. Unfortunately, he said there was nothing Toyota could do to help because of the high mileage on my Camry. He said it would cost $5,000 to replace the piston rings or $4000 to replace the engine.

As a result, I filed a claim with Toyota consumer affairs (Case#1708181590)--The girl Melissa on the phone didn't want to help and told me Toyota wouldn't be able to pay for the warranty work because of high miles. Toyota knew the piston rings were faulty from the beginning. They didn't want to spend the money or hours/years trying to repair/replace engines in these cars. So they make the consumer do this stupid worthless consumption test to avoid recall repairs. They are obviously trying to avoid taking care of a problem that many of us are facing.

I purchased this vehicle in October of 2007, brand new off the lot. Took it in for all of the regular maintenance appointments and know that I did everything right. My car should not be having all these issues especially for a brand that prides itself in reliability and durability.

I'm going to have to look into another car to purchase and it definitely will not be a Toyota.

- robersonallie, Perris, US

Jun 012015

Camry LE 4

When I go for oil changes there is hardly any oil on the stick. I was told that this model could go 8,000 miles without an oil change by Toyota of course when you go somewhere else they will say 4,000. But before I am at four thousand miles I barely have any oil if any on the oil stick. This was one of the reasons that I chose Toyota. My car is a 2008 that was bought in 2010 and it has been well taken care of but I am not pleased with the excessive oil use.

- bren1965, Meridian, US

Oct 032016

Camry SE 2.4L

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

I received a recall notice for oil consumption I believe in the summer of 2015. I didn't have any issues with oil consumption at the time but took my 2008 Camry in just to check it off the list. It didn't qualify which was fine at the time. Around October or November 2016, we began to notice the car was burning through oil, we requested a second oil consumption test--didn't qualify under the recall notice. We noticed that it began to burn more oil and then began a second symptom of smoking when we turned it on after long periods of time (first turn of the key of the day). Returned for a third oil consumption test, was advised by the technicians that the car was fine. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something--the car is smoking and burning oil yet it doesn't qualify???

Now, the car smokes after sitting for a few hours and sometimes while I'm driving. Oil is being burned through even more. Took it back for a fourth oil consumption test in July 2017, and again was informed that the car did not qualify and that it was burning oil normally.

We filed a claim with toyota--they are obviously trying to avoid taking care of a problem that many of us are facing. Hopefully that takes us somewhere.

What's also crazy--I purchased this vehicle in December of 2007, brand new off the lot. Took it in for all of the regular maintenance appointments and know that I did everything right. My car should not be pooping out on me at this point!!

Going to have to look into another car to purchase and it definitely will not be a toyota.

- Veronica M., Madera, CA, US

Jun 142017

Camry LE

I drove 48 miles to work each way and I have to add oil every 3rd day. The amount of oil consumption is unacceptable and costly.

- Asif M., Aelxandria, US

Mar 012017

Camry 4

When I found out about the faulty rings I was 13,000 miles over the 150,000 mile limit. I've been getting my car maintenance at Toyota dealership for the past 8 years and it was never reported to me until March 2017 and it was too late. I called and emailed complaints but nothing was done to fix the problem. I check my oil levels weekly. I will never buy another Toyota!

- C&A S., Bolivar, TN, US

Jan 022017

Camry LE 4

I live in Warren County North Carolina. I’m sending this email because I’m very disappointed and concerned about my vehicle. Toyota Of Henderson NC, recently did the oil consumption test on my car, the result stated that the oil was low but not low enough, to fail. They informed me that my car did not pass the test. I am not satisfied with these results, and the only solution I was given is to just changed the oil more often. This will cost me more money. This suggestion does not fix my problem. It is not normal for a car to need over a quart of oil in it before it reaches 3000 miles. What is the purpose of the recall if your dealer isn’t going to honor it. What if I forget to check my oil, then my motor locks up, I’m at a loss. I just paid for this vehicle I can’t afford to buy a new car. Case & point On March 3, 2017 I got my oil changed, then on June 5th I had to add a quart of oil in my vehicle. This happens every month, It’s not normal to have to do this every month. Could someone please help me with this situation.

- Constance G., Norlina, NC, US

Sep 252016

Camry CE 2.5L

I purchased a 2008 Toyota Camry from Rivergate Toyota in Madison TN. After the first oil change, I realized my camry was burning about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I contacted Rivergate Toyota and they informed me of an extended warranty for some Toyota vehicles with excessive oil consumption. I took my car to Rivergate in order for them to perform a oil consumption test. The test confirmed that my vehicle burned oil but not enough to warrant a repair. Justification for repair under warranty requires the vehicle to burn 1 1/2 quarts of oil every 1,100 miles. I have owned 7 automobiles in my lifetime and none have ever burned oil. I believe any vehicle that burns oil is unacceptable. I also believe that Rivergate Toyota sold me the car knowing the oil consumption issue existed. I will continue efforts to pursue repair under warranty.

- Michael J., Nashville, US

Jan 012013

Camry LX 4.0L

ok I noticed for years that my car oil was always low when I went to get an oil change. in 2014 I received a letter from Toyota about the oil consumption test. every time I take it to Toyota they claim there is no problem, that oil burns normally. I know that statement is so untrue. they do not want to take responsibility to fix my car. they keep telling me to get oil consumption test which the dealers keep telling me nothing is wrong. that it is normal to burn oil. my car is getting worse and I do not know what to do.

- Tileda B., Norfolk, US