7.5

$1,396.00

Most common solutions:

2. starting the excessive oil consumption test (15 reports)
  3. replace engine block (14 reports)
  4. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (12 reports)
  5. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (12 reports)
  6. toyota says normal (12 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Feb 172018

Camry EX 2.4L Doh

So sad the company doesn't acknowledge the problem. Have had 3 other Toyotas generally w/o problems. Is there any car maker left that doesn't turn out garbage?

- , Winter Garden, US

Mar 012017

Camry LE 1.4L

I purchased car with about 109,00 miles on it one day my brother took the car and basically the motor stopped working because of lack of oil. We then had to go buy a used engine with now 130,00 miles on it and still having the same problem and it cost too much money to maintain that on top of other things.

My future solution, I will not purchase another toyota. this is my first and my last unless something will be done to help fix it.

- , Albany, US

Dec 152011

Camry LE 4 cyl

I had the Toyota service center review my concern and they said 1 quart used/lost per 1000 miles is normal. They did not test and I’ve added oil now for past 6 years. But now excessive oil consumption is 1 quart every 700 miles. No smoke noticed but PCV was oil fouled at last replacement 12/17. Toyota should have tested my engine then and repaired as the service bulletin requires.

- , Marietta, US

Aug 282017

Camry LX V4

I bought this car as used in Feb 2016 and didn't this issue until one time taken to local Toyota dealer for oil change and since then they sabotage my engine to create this problem because they wanted to have it paid by the Toyota corporate. After having in their garage for 3 weeks they told me because it doesn't have original engine so Toyota doesn't want to pay. No repairs done. Now I'm stuck. Called Toyota Corporate office but no luck. What Toyota claims it doesn't have original engine, Does a car has to have all original parts in 8 years plus the original might had his engine crashed and perhaps got another engine. End of story is the Toyota doesn't want to be responsible for its own manufacturing defects.

I have seen lot of complaints from other people but I think the best thing is to file the complaints to the following agencies and to the Taxes attorney general office so Toyota either fix this issue or should be bared to sell cars in USA.

otherwise nothing going to happen to Toyota.

- , Huntington Station, US

Mar 272017

Camry LE 3.2L V6

Toyota thinks that adding a quart of oil every 1,200 miles is normal for a vehicle with only 130,000 miles on it. That seems pretty ridiculous! I have purchased 3 Toyota Camrys, but this will be my last one unless Toyota decides to allow the extended warranty to be allowed to fix the problem.

- , Hartland, WI, US

Jul 012017

Camry XLE 2.4L

Toyota did a test to measure for 1,000 miles but they claim that there is no issue found. But certain service interval I am seeing the low engine oil pressure light coming up after driving for 3500 miles and sometimes it does not come up until my service interval of 5000 miles.

- , Milton, US

Nov 302014

Camry LE V4

I have been topping the engine OIL for the last 3-4 years and my mechanic just told me about the class action lawsuit for defective pistons for Toyota Camry. I took the car to my dealership for inspection and they say that they cannot do the Oil consumption test because the mileage of 149,000 miles puts the test over 150,000 and they cannot test it. I called Toyota headquarters about it and they concurred with the dealership decision. This is a piece of crap machinery that just DRINKS engine OIL meaning $10 every 1000 miles.

- , Herndon, US

Nov 222017

Camry

The last year I've had to top off my oil at 1500 miles. On 11/22 I topped off my car with a quart of oil at jiffy lube, after 150 miles the engine light came on and my oil was low. I had planned to keep this car another 2 years. It's not worth paying the $3,000 to fix the problem. I would rather put the $3,000 towards a new car. Now I have to quickly buy a car, I can't take my time to shop!

- , Laurel, US

Oct 022017

Camry LE

I was told that this "excessive oil consumption" is common in 2009 Camry. I was also told (from numerous mechanics) that there was a recall for the oil tanks but when I call anyone from Toyota they say no that there is not one. Why would multiple mechanics tell me the same thing? They suggest this before they even offer to fix the car because they know there was a recall. My car is burning through oil in every 1,000 miles. I can't afford to keep up with this. I want my oil tank to be fixed - please help - I can't afford for my engine to seize either.

- , Attleboro, US

Mar 282017

Camry LE 2.1L

We have to change our engine oil every month because it gets dry.

We've checked with mechanics and were told that there are no leaks.

How can you help us.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Apr 152015

Camry LE 2.4L V4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

Toyota performed oil consumption repairs on my 2009 Camry but I am still having issue loosing oil between oil changes. At least 1.75 quarts of oil must be added to make the car run smoothly. Otherwise, it runs weird with low oil. It was brought to attention of Toyota Head Office and local Toyota dealer the issue of oil consumption still present but nothing was done.

- , Panama City, FL, US

Jun 062017

Camry

Each week I have to put 2 quarts of oil in my engine. I travel 80 miles per day so this is really annoying.

- , Lanham, US

Jan 012017

Camry SE 2.4L

Yet another problem with the Camry, 2009. Now its burning oil at a ridiculous rate and I have to add oil every few hundred miles so it doesn't go dry. This will certainly be the last Toyota I purchase and I hope this problem gets remedied or made right.

- , Mebane, US

Sep 012017

Camry LE 4 cyl

My daughter drives the car and has complained about oil consumption but no leaks or smoke out the back, so I checked it out for her & found she was right. 1 quart 5-20 synthetic oil per 1000 miles. Called Wolfchase Toyota, Germantown, TN today. "Nicole" in service said that the warranty only covers 10 years or 15,000 miles. Our car is at 158,000. No dice.

- , Eads, TN, US

Feb 012017

Camry XLE 4 Cyclinder

Consistently having my oil changed on schedule. At the beginning of the year, started using excessive oil. In between oil changes, oil needs to be added. Drains completely out before next oil change is due. Have tried using regular, mixed regular and synthetic and full synthetic. Problem continues...

- , Bardstown, US

Mar 012015

Camry LE

The oil burns excessively. I had an oil change the first week of May 2017. I checked the oil stick 3 weeks later and it was completely dry. I'm always adding oil to the vehicle This problem has caused me financial harm because I want to sell the vehicle and I can't get as much as I would like because this car has a defect. I'm making the potential buyers aware of this defect.

Toyota has not recalled the vehicles and it's very disappointing to me because I always viewed Toyota as a reputable car seller and I now feel otherwise.

- , Justice, US

Nov 122016

Camry SE 2.4L V6

What can I say, I purchased my Toyota because of the stellar reputation. I had plans of giving this car to my daughter in four years when she started to drive. How can I feel comfortable giving a car that burns 1-2 quarts of oil a week to my most precious cargo?? Even worse, there was no communication of this issue. I understand this is not being a recall, but how can I let my wife drive a car that could break down at any point?? I am extremely disappointed in Toyota and how they handled this issue. I've scheduled an appointment with Toyota to complete an oil consumption test to see if I'm eligible. I realize defects occur, but I also expect Toyota to stand by their products and defects. I hope my issue is resolved, but Toyota has lost a loyal customer.

- , S, US

Jul 312017

Camry LE

I am the original owner and live at the same address as when I purchased the vehicle. I never was notified of this issue and was unaware until I searched the internet. I have had 3 NEW Toyotas in the past 15 years so I am brand loyal. So far, I have only been offered $500.00 for the repair of a KNOWN PROBLEM, acknowledged by Toyota that is estimated to cost 3-4 K. Really wish I had known this before I spend $30K on a 17 RAV4. Maybe Toyota will come through in the end and help me out with more than $500 offered.

- , Hortonville, WI, US

Jan 022017

Camry

CONSTANTLY HAVE TO ADD OIL IN BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. USUALLY 1 QUART A WEEK.

- , Seabrook, US

Mar 012017

Camry XLE 2.4L V4

After selling car to my son 6 + months later he began running out of oil prior to 3,000 miles on 2 occasions. Car would make a beeping noise every time he would brake or turn corner. Took it in and was told completely out of oil. This happened twice so Toyota did the "stage 1" where they taped access to oil and had my son drive and return car between 1000 and 1200 miles. They said there was no loss of oil - it was right under fill mark. DON'T believe it at all.

I called Toyota corporate and was told to try another dealership to test. I am making an appointment and this time I am making sure I actually watch the result myself wen he takes it back in. Toyota has assigned a 2nd warranty enhancement coverage and I have until August 2018 to get this issue resolved. Noticed this is a major issue with others and their Toyota dealership is giving them the run around as well. I have always purchased Toyotas, but if this is not resolved, I guess I no longer will.

- , Springfield, US