7.5

$1,400

Most common solutions:

2. starting the excessive oil consumption test (16 reports)
  3. replace engine block (14 reports)
  4. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (13 reports)
  5. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (13 reports)
  6. toyota says normal (12 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Jun 042016

Camry 4S 4 cyl

So...our 2009 Toyota Camry started going through a lot of oil these past several years. It currently has around 127,000 miles and we have to put a quart or more oil in it every 2 weeks or so and/or about every 400 miles between standard 3,000 mile oil changes. We are spending roughly over $ 150.00/yr on extra motor oil but the Toyota reps tell us that this is " normal " since the vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it and because of the " thin-weighted oil --- 5W-20 " that it consumes.

- John M., Charlotte, NC, US

Feb 012017

Camry LE

I had the excessive oil consumption issue for over a year. When I brought it in for the oil consumption test because of the TSB, I was told it passed and there was not issues, even though I explained that I know it was burning oil quickly because when I would change the oil there would be very little oil left in the engine. Also the check oil light would come on when I get to 4,000 miles. This gradually got worse. Luckily I called Toyota again and I was under 150,000 miles and allowed to get the test again. And this time it failed so Toyota will fix it. But if I didn't contact them again about this problem, it would have been out of warranty and then I would have to get it fixed myself.

- Jeen M., Laurel, US

Nov 012015

Camry SE 2.4L

I have had this problem for years. My wife drives this car and told me about having to add oil and I was like ok, I will have it checked out for an oil leak. Later after she really started complaining to me, I asked the people who change the oil to look for a leak, but they didn’t see any. I even had the valve cover replaced just to be sure and I was still losing oil. I have to add 2-3 bottles of oil between oil changes. After reading some stories this seem like a Toyota issue that should have been repaired. I really like Toyota’s. Let’s pray they do the right thing and repair this problem. I know that car manufacturers aren’t perfect but they should be responsible for faulty work.

- mjuly, Austin, US

Jan 082018

Camry SE 4 Cykinfer

I am adding two to three quarts of oil between the regular 5,000 mile oil change.

- timothybenton, McKinney, US

May 032017

Camry ES V6

This Camry was a commute vehicle until 2015. After that it's been mainly used for short trips on surface streets, with a few short road trips. We first noticed the problem when we took it from Atlanta to Charleston in 2017. (longest road trip this car had ever been). Since then, I check the oil almost every time I buy gas, and it is low about every other refuel. I add one qt of oil approx every 400 miles. I keep a diary of gas, oil, and work done in a little book that I keep in the car, so this is not just a guess. You can also see blue exhaust.

This car is past due for both time and miles on the warranty, so I'm hoping that the class action will require Toyota to fix this problem. In general, I like the Camry and I want to keep driving it as long as I can.

- pamking, McDonough, US

Feb 172018

Camry EX 2.4L Doh

So sad the company doesn't acknowledge the problem. Have had 3 other Toyotas generally w/o problems. Is there any car maker left that doesn't turn out garbage?

- ap_fergusson, Winter Garden, US

Mar 012017

Camry LE 1.4L

I purchased car with about 109,00 miles on it one day my brother took the car and basically the motor stopped working because of lack of oil. We then had to go buy a used engine with now 130,00 miles on it and still having the same problem and it cost too much money to maintain that on top of other things.

My future solution, I will not purchase another toyota. this is my first and my last unless something will be done to help fix it.

- andersonbrr, Albany, US

Dec 152011

Camry LE 4 cyl

I had the Toyota service center review my concern and they said 1 quart used/lost per 1000 miles is normal. They did not test and I’ve added oil now for past 6 years. But now excessive oil consumption is 1 quart every 700 miles. No smoke noticed but PCV was oil fouled at last replacement 12/17. Toyota should have tested my engine then and repaired as the service bulletin requires.

- chuckvrshek, Marietta, US

Aug 282017

Camry LX V4

I bought this car as used in Feb 2016 and didn't this issue until one time taken to local Toyota dealer for oil change and since then they sabotage my engine to create this problem because they wanted to have it paid by the Toyota corporate. After having in their garage for 3 weeks they told me because it doesn't have original engine so Toyota doesn't want to pay. No repairs done. Now I'm stuck. Called Toyota Corporate office but no luck. What Toyota claims it doesn't have original engine, Does a car has to have all original parts in 8 years plus the original might had his engine crashed and perhaps got another engine. End of story is the Toyota doesn't want to be responsible for its own manufacturing defects.

I have seen lot of complaints from other people but I think the best thing is to file the complaints to the following agencies and to the Taxes attorney general office so Toyota either fix this issue or should be bared to sell cars in USA.

otherwise nothing going to happen to Toyota.

- M C., Huntington Station, US

Mar 272017

Camry LE 3.2L V6

Toyota thinks that adding a quart of oil every 1,200 miles is normal for a vehicle with only 130,000 miles on it. That seems pretty ridiculous! I have purchased 3 Toyota Camrys, but this will be my last one unless Toyota decides to allow the extended warranty to be allowed to fix the problem.

- Judy R., Hartland, WI, US

Jul 012017

Camry XLE 2.4L

Toyota did a test to measure for 1,000 miles but they claim that there is no issue found. But certain service interval I am seeing the low engine oil pressure light coming up after driving for 3500 miles and sometimes it does not come up until my service interval of 5000 miles.

- 8dee, Milton, US

Nov 302014

Camry LE V4

I have been topping the engine OIL for the last 3-4 years and my mechanic just told me about the class action lawsuit for defective pistons for Toyota Camry. I took the car to my dealership for inspection and they say that they cannot do the Oil consumption test because the mileage of 149,000 miles puts the test over 150,000 and they cannot test it. I called Toyota headquarters about it and they concurred with the dealership decision. This is a piece of crap machinery that just DRINKS engine OIL meaning $10 every 1000 miles.

- svemulap, Herndon, US

Nov 222017

Camry

The last year I've had to top off my oil at 1500 miles. On 11/22 I topped off my car with a quart of oil at jiffy lube, after 150 miles the engine light came on and my oil was low. I had planned to keep this car another 2 years. It's not worth paying the $3,000 to fix the problem. I would rather put the $3,000 towards a new car. Now I have to quickly buy a car, I can't take my time to shop!

- Tolawo I., Laurel, US

Oct 022017

Camry LE

I was told that this "excessive oil consumption" is common in 2009 Camry. I was also told (from numerous mechanics) that there was a recall for the oil tanks but when I call anyone from Toyota they say no that there is not one. Why would multiple mechanics tell me the same thing? They suggest this before they even offer to fix the car because they know there was a recall. My car is burning through oil in every 1,000 miles. I can't afford to keep up with this. I want my oil tank to be fixed - please help - I can't afford for my engine to seize either.

- Danielle W., Attleboro, US

Mar 282017

Camry LE 2.1L

We have to change our engine oil every month because it gets dry.

We've checked with mechanics and were told that there are no leaks.

How can you help us.

- Shrirangathas R., Toronto, ON, Canada

Apr 152015

Camry LE 2.4L V4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

Toyota performed oil consumption repairs on my 2009 Camry but I am still having issue loosing oil between oil changes. At least 1.75 quarts of oil must be added to make the car run smoothly. Otherwise, it runs weird with low oil. It was brought to attention of Toyota Head Office and local Toyota dealer the issue of oil consumption still present but nothing was done.

- Adham A., Panama City, FL, US

Jun 062017

Camry

Each week I have to put 2 quarts of oil in my engine. I travel 80 miles per day so this is really annoying.

- selenamims, Lanham, US

Jan 012017

Camry SE 2.4L

Yet another problem with the Camry, 2009. Now its burning oil at a ridiculous rate and I have to add oil every few hundred miles so it doesn't go dry. This will certainly be the last Toyota I purchase and I hope this problem gets remedied or made right.

- Casey B., Mebane, US

Sep 012017

Camry LE 4 cyl

My daughter drives the car and has complained about oil consumption but no leaks or smoke out the back, so I checked it out for her & found she was right. 1 quart 5-20 synthetic oil per 1000 miles. Called Wolfchase Toyota, Germantown, TN today. "Nicole" in service said that the warranty only covers 10 years or 15,000 miles. Our car is at 158,000. No dice.

- Richard G., Eads, TN, US

Feb 012017

Camry XLE 4 Cyclinder

Consistently having my oil changed on schedule. At the beginning of the year, started using excessive oil. In between oil changes, oil needs to be added. Drains completely out before next oil change is due. Have tried using regular, mixed regular and synthetic and full synthetic. Problem continues...

- Lisa T., Bardstown, US