3.9

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Camry:

Aug 252018

Camry

Car hesitates and looses power while moving forward and while exiting and or starting up from an intersection. Rear cars and myself are in danger. This problem is from a dead stop as well as from slow speed while turning and leaving an intersection.this camery was purchased in 2015, and the dealership has refused to acknowledge this problem since first reported, which was in 2015. Over 300 Toyota customers have reported this problem over the past 5-7 years.

- Tiverton, RI, USA

Jun 012018

Camry

Please determine if the fuelrail end caps that are made by arsen are defective. Pre. Requisites of one reported may be enough to start a investigation advising Toyota to recall the 2012 fuel rails on the 6 cylinder Toyota camery.these fuelrails are probably defective in the Kia and Hyundai if made by the same company using the same material. Please cross check the info to determine a cause. If over 400 vehicles B4 a notice was put out and no specific cause was noted. I want to believe Toyota does whats correct to resolve the issue as did Kia and Hyundai only after 400 plus issues arose. That is straight negligence upon the NHTSA why so many fires before something was done unreal.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jun 252018

Camry

Fuel rail with endcaps have become defective and not sealing properly. Consequently, gasoline and fuel vapors are leaking from the fuel rail onto the engine. The vehicle will emissions and dealers is equesting $762 to fix.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Dec 012017

Camry

While driving on any road between 20 and 40 mph, 3rd and 4th speed, the transmission shudders and while pressing the gas, the vehicle hesitates. Sometimes it is somewhat clear to accelerate, other times it feels like you are fighting a wall that will not move. I believe from what I have read that it has to do with the ECU and a possible faulty torque converter. This should be looked into by the NHTSA proactively, and not left to the individual consumer to see if the issue resolves itself. If the car fails in moving traffic, someone could hit me from behind. At this time, I am having to go from 2nd speed to 4th speed by 40 mph to go around 3rd gear altogether. This is not the way the car should operate. Vehicle is in motion when this happens on any road at any time.

- Medford, NJ, USA

May 052016

Camry

Left foot on brake pedal. Placing right foot on accelerator. Acceleration starts however, immediately hesitates for several seconds. Traffic immediately following vehicle are forced to immediately back off acceleration causing near term collusion. Very dangerous condition.

- Portage, MI, USA

Nov 142014

Camry

Have worked with a local Toyota dealer past ten months regarding the following issue: When coming to a stop sign or stop light then you accelerate the car then loses power for 4 seconds. Met with the Toyota field technical specialist recently who had me drive. We couldn't duplicate the issue. However, he noticed I placed my left foot on the brake once. He had me look down at my foot and said that was the problem. The problem occurs when you place your left on the brake and then accelerate with your right foot on the accelerator. This caused by the "software" developed to eliminate the "sudden acceleration problem" Toyota experienced two years ago. This can occur any time if day. I told him this was a safety issue. He disagreed and said it was an operator issue. You can imagine stopped for a stoplight. You get the green you traffic is heavy you accelerate and then 4 seconds later the RPM's drop drastically and all the traffic behind you comes very close to rear-ending you!!! I have also experienced this when driving in the merging lane on interstates. One doesn't consciously brake using your left foot. It just happens occasionally. If one experiences this issue. Perhaps Toyota expects their customers should have their left foot amputated! I have talked with several friends (one employed 25 years in the auto industry) and all have never heard of such a thing.

- Portage, MI, USA

Aug 232013

Camry

When easing out from a near stop and apply the gas the car stalls. It doesn't matter how much gas you give it, the car just stalls. You have to let up on the gas pedal and it tries to catch up with greater speed than you need. I have taken this problem to 2 Toyota dealers several times since the first problem and they have not corrected the problem. The first time the dealer rep said it was suppose to do this. The other dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. I have almost gotten hit a few times because it has stalled when I was half-way into the lane of on-coming traffic and I don't try at all to beat traffic.

- Lake View, AL, USA

Jun 162015

Camry

When I start to drive my car from a rest position it starts to drag for approximately 30-50 feet before it starts the drive normal.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 182015

Camry

I was driving on xpressway just pulling onto it, push down on gas to get speed and pedal was pushed all the way to the floor and my Camry would not go any faster then 40 I let up and tried again and still 40, then all at once it started going faster and faster

- Memphis, IN, USA

Jan 172015

Camry

Bought this car used just over a month ago. Made a 1 hour trip yesterday with our 2 children. Sudden unexpected acceleration caused me to almost wreck twice as I was entering the city we were visiting. One would've been serious due to location. Both times occurred when I was decelerating to go around sharp turns by letting off the gas, but not using break. Prior to entering town, the cruise had been set, but was turned off before issue occurred. I've been a loyal Toyota owner for nearly 2 decades. We've owned 6 diff Toyota (Tundra, Tacoma, prius, 2 Camry, and a Lexus ls 400) and have never experienced anything but great quality. Unfortunately, the issue I experienced yesterday, with the negligent manner in which it seems Toyota has handled these complaints from other owners, is serious enough to cause me to reconsider ever owning another Toyota. If it can't be resolved (which it seems it can't), I'd really like to get my money back and get a different car now, since I've only owned this car about 6 weeks. Very disappointed in my long time favorite auto manufacturer. Very disappointed! I would welcome discussion on this matter.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Dec 012014

Camry

Rodents have discovered the soy compound used to insulate the wires. My daughter has had to replace wiring twice in the last month. The damage to the wiring results in engine and transmission issues including stalling. This is as dangerous as the issues affecting GM cobalts.

- Waldorf , MD, USA

Dec 052013

Camry

This complaint is similar to complaint #10545567. The Camry experiences spurious or intermittent acceleration hesitation and sometimes stalls when acceleration is needed. This is a potentially dangerous condition especially in when entering a highway or accelerating onto an interstate. Dealer has been notified several times about the situation, but because this is an intermittent condition, the dealer doesn't see it and claims cannot diagnose the condition.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Apr 032013

Camry 4-cyl

The car is becoming undriveable. I took it to the dealership to get checked out, and they said there's nothing wrong with it. On their report they stated "the vehicle's operating as designed." Since I bought this car it's been performing progressively worse. Every time I drive the car it seems to lose power. The ride is choppy, burdened, and labored. The entire car seems to be struggling with itself. I get into the car feeling fine physically, and then I feel ill and sick after a while. There's foul odors coming from my car, definitely from the exterior and possibly from the inside. The dealership checked for exhaust leaks and didn't find any, but I'm smelling things in the car no one should be smelling. It even seems like the car wobbles and shimmies as it travels down the road.

- Telford, PA, USA

May 012012

Camry 4-cyl

On acceleration the gas cuts out, lasting around 3 to 10 seconds. I cannot duplicate this condition, it just happens sporadically. It is very dangerous because the car behind me has no indication that I am in limbo and could easily rear-end me. This usually occurs when I am turning at a low speed, but has happened when driving straight.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 012012

Camry 4-cyl

I was at a traffic light and was about to make a right turn when I put my foot on the gas pedal the car hesitated and then took off. I brought it in to the dealer almost immediately and they found nothing. It happened several times after that and I brought it to the dealer again and nothing was found. I brought it to the dealer only last week for an oil change and 10000 mile check up(only have 3700miles on car) and once again nothing was found. The car does this mare times than not but the service people are unable to reproduce the issue.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Sep 012012

Camry 4-cyl

In September 2012 I experienced a flattening out of the acceleration. Turning at a very low speed the car did not accelerate (this still occurs off and on). It is quite dangerous because there is no warning to the car behind me that I am no longer moving forward. It is like a stalling out which last around 5 seconds or so. Very unnerving but only seems to happen when I am going slow and turning the wheel.

- Vancouver, WA, USA