7.5

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Toyota Camry:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Apr 052018

Camry SE 4 cyl

I have the same problem of sometimes jerky shifting, especially when the car is cold. I was given an update but the problem appears to be still there.

- Richard C., Danvers, MA, US

Jan 012018

Camry

WHEN THE CAR IN THE LOW SPEED AROUND 20 MILES/HOUR AND THE ENGINE AROUND 2000RPM, THE TRANSMISSION IS TRYING TO FIND SPECIFIED GEAR, MAKE THE CAR SPEED INCREASE AND DECREASE, IT JERKS THE CAR.

ANOTHER PROBLEM IS WHEN TRYING TO SPEED UP ON HIGHWAY, PRESS THE GAS PEDAL, THE CAR IS JUST LIKE THINKING THE LIFE PHILOSOPHY, THE RPM REACH 4000 AND THE CAR SUDDENLY SPEEDS UP.

- Peter D., Plymouth, US

May 162018

Camry XSE 3.5L

Don't buy this car! With only 3,000 on it it shut down and wouldn't accelerate over 25. Dealer said it was misfiring but couldn't fix it. Then while waiting in line to pick up my daughter it just turned off on me. Needless to say I don't have this vehicle anymore. Paid way too much for unreliable Camry.

- L. R., United States, US

May 212018

Camry SE 2.5L

Just purchased my 2018 Toyota Camry SE on May 14,18. The first week it ran really great and was very excited for my purchase. Love the styling, the color and MOST of the features. Except of course the Entune system, that has has several complaints. My biggest concern, as mentioned, is the shifting of the new 8 speed transmission. From a dead stop, it doesn’t seem to know when to shift and GO. I’m always looking behind me, waiting to be rear ended!!! Also, trying to merge on the freeway and get up to speed, it’s so sluggish. I push the gas down so hard and cross my fingers that it will get up and go at that moment. After several long seconds, it starts going! I have yet to experience the thumping noise when it does decide on which gear it should be in which I’ve read is an ongoing issue for some.

I didn’t expect to have to take such a new car in to the dealer so soon. I’m now at 803 miles and I’m not sure if this will be fixed. I love the car otherwise. I came from a 2007 Camry SE with a V6, so I thought I would have to get used to a 4 cylinder. But after doing research ( yes, unfortunately after the fact) it looks as if this is how it is. It’s apparent that it’s a Manufacturers problem. NOW FIX IT TOYOTA!!! It’s extremely unsafe when this problem occurs.

I’ve already ordered a K and N air filter to hopefully help this sluggish transmission. I hope it helps, because after reading, it doesn’t seem as though Toyota wants to find a fix to this problem. I will update after I install the air filter to see if it helps.

- Michelle R., Hemet, CA, US

Dec 012017

Camry SE

Purchased this car back in November and immediately noticed the rough shifts the transmission was giving. Noticed when driving up to a red light and beginning to slow down, but not yet at a complete stop, then seeing the light change and stepping on the gas I noticed very rough shifts. Same in stop and go traffic on the highway when you're never really at a complete stop and moving at the pace of the traffic. Also noticed recently that the transmission will downshift ON ITS OWN while I am cruising (not accelerating or slowing down) on the highway going 75 MPH. Scary to be driving so fast and feel the car jerk on you.

I took it to one dealership not even a month after I bought the car where they told me they hooked it up to the computer but found nothing. Fast forward a few months later to just this week, where I took it to a different dealership with the same complaint. They said they updated the software and that it should be running fine. Service department guy even told me that the new 8 speeds drive that way. Not buying it. Have been driving it since the new update but nothing has changed.

I travel a lot within the state and it is definitely scary and something I should not be worrying about with a brand new car. Will be looking to trade the car in if there is not a recall that gets to the bottom of this.

- Hector R., Dallas, US

Oct 152017

Camry XSE V6

This Camry does not shift correctly when it is cold.

It does not matter what the temperature is outside - but the operating temperature of the vehicle makes all the difference.

The first 3 or 4 gears that this vehicle attempts to find is extremely rough and or/inconsistent in how it works. I've never driven a car that is this jekyll/hyde.

Michael R. from Lebanon couldn't more perfectly summarize my same issues with the same type of vehicle which says to me we are experiencing the exact same issues.

Time for Toyota to step up and confirm that they are having issues with this new model/new transmission and work with those impacted.

- Michael S., Rochester, US

Nov 302017

Camry SE 2.5L

I see I'm not the only one with a complaint about the 2018 Camry 8 speed automatic. I have contacted NCDS, an arbitration process Toyota subscribes to and listed in one of the many manuals you get when you buy the car. This is step 2 in the process. Step 3 is Lemon Law which I will file if nothing is resolved with arbitration. Would recommend anyone having this tranny problem do the same. These procedures are a pain but if enough people do it the manufacturer will have to address the problem. In my opinion Toyota rushed this transmission to market before it was ready to go.

- Richard C., Pinebluff, US

Jan 012018

Camry SE 4 cyl

2018 Camry SE transmission shifts extremely rough. And when you push hard on the accelerator it can’t decide what to do. So there is a delay before it decides. In the mean time the engine is revving up. The transmission is still thinking what to do. Like the old bugs bunny cartoon where the tortoise and the hare are racing. The tortoise winds up and his legs are moving really fast, but when he finally hits the road he is going really slow. Very frightening and hazardous in traffic in the real world.

- John H., Fort Worth, TX, US

Feb 142018

Camry ES 4

Shifts like a car from the 70s 80s. Constantly down shifts. Should not be so noticeable. Poor attempt at introducing a new 8 speed transmission.

- Rich C., Fort Myers, FL, US

Nov 012017

Camry XSE 3.5L V6

I finally picked up my car after waiting forever for it to finally hit the dealership. I put a deposit on one in June of 2018 before even seeing it. I fell in love instantly in photos, and after my previous experience with Camrys and other Toyotas in general, I took the plunge.

I took Delivery on 10/20/2017 and was in love with ALMOST everything.

When the vehicle is cold, the colder the worse the issue. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is abrupt. It almost feels like its slipping between gears. Happens for a few minutes and then goes away. I talked to a friend of mine that is a New Car Sales Manager for Toyota in the DCMVA area, and he said his experience with the XSE V6 Demo he had was the same. I haven't brought it up to my dealer yet. I just noticed that its when it's cold - so I figure maybe I'll get a trans software update. I kind of chalk it up to having the first car of its kind in the area. there are bound to be bugs. But I may bring it in before it gets warmer. I work a LOT and not having a car is not conducive to such.... I also notice that when you floor it... the transmission is like "umm, lets see... what gear do I downshift to?" and you feel it search for the lowest gear. It'll down shift, then u feel it shift again, and then finally it takes off.

I come from a background of many different vehicles with different transmissions... and this is definitely not normal. My 2.0L Turbo Sonata was faster to downshift than this. Hopefully they have some sort of fix for it soon.

- Michael R., Lebanon, US

Sep 282017

Camry SE 2.5L 4 cyl

So I work for a Toyota Dealer here where I live. Thought I'd give Toyota a chance since I've worked here for quite sometime. I leased the 2018 Camry SE figuring it's a Toyota, cheap to maintain good resale value if I traded it in or kept it. I was told I have to get used to how the new 8 speed transmission shifted. 2,000 miles later and I know that this is a problem!! I have had our service manager look at it I printed the other 3 complaints that I am experiencing all but trans loss. We have customers calling in and complaining! I was told there is no fix yet figuring maybe software update. So I as an employee of a Toyota was told to call Toyota of North America for assistance? So i did no real help and was told they would put me on "the list" until more issues occur and there is a fix or recall. I said not good enough we have customers calling in about this and we couldn't even do anything with this issue? I asked to escalate the issue to possibly a BUY Back. That could take a few years of back and fourth as well as agony and still having to deal with this problem on a BRAND NEW CAR! And a TOYOTA of all things! But I see that the 2017 Highlander and Sienna with the 8 speed trans are blowing up so TOYOTA needs to deal with this immediately!! IF any of you that have made complaints or are going to have any new info on what their dealers are doing please contact me!! Or post on this site. But I experience, rough slam into gear in the morning/when cold, I also experience rough shifting, wont stay in one gear consistently and when accelerating it feels as though its in 3rd gear then drops to 1rst. i have had others here experience that as well. These symptoms are weather cold or warm in temperature. Still dealing with and working trading for another make of vehicle........

- Michael C., Colorado Springs, US

Dec 182017

Camry SE 2.4L

Avoid buying this car!! Please, I regret my decision making and will be trading in the car soon.

Test drove a 2018 Camry LE. My wife and I immediately noticed it had really jerky shifts between gears. The sales person informed us this was a brand new design for the Camry. When we told him about the bad shifting, he introduced us to the SE model. It did not suffer the same easily noticeable jerkiness. For the price, it appeared a great deal, and we purchased the car.

The next morning, when the outside weather dropped to about 30 degrees F. When I back the car out of the driveway into the street, and shifted into Drive, the transmission slammed hard into gear. It continued to do every morning. I brought this to Toyota's Service department.

They said Toyota just released a TSB about this exact problem. They had an update to the cars computer. I was thankful there was a fix. I was wrong. After several long hours, they contacted me and informed me that my vehicle has the update to the system already, and there was nothing they could do. Apparently, Toyota knows there is already a major problem with the 2018 Camry that is not even 6 months old. There software fix did not solve the problem. It's a defective physical design.

I was recently visiting family down in Florida, and a gentleman has the same car. We got to talking, and he experiences the same issues. They have not have the same cold weather. So it's not just a cold weather issue, it is a transmission issue. AVOID this car. Don't spend the rest of your time owning this car in the service department trying to convince the techs that your car has this issue in the morning. They have already tried denying the problem and trying get out of fixing it, and it's only been the first week at 75 miles. I truly regret buying this car. Please don't. I wish I would have read this beforehand.

- Allen D., Concord, US