Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Toyota Highlander:

Apr 082019

Highlander Limited

click to see larger images

paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping

Ever since I bought my new 2018 Toyota Highlander last August I’ve been accumulating an unreasonable amount of paint chips. I ordered Toyota’s touchup paint after my first service visit however, it was too cold to apply at the time. Since then I’ve accumulated over seventy paint chips mostly on the front of my car. The chipping is only on the metal parts not any of the plastic parts. I took my car to the Toyota dealer with my concerns and their Service Manager told me to call corporate Toyota.

My Case Manager there opened a case and then told me to call the Toyota dealer for further instructions. I called their Service Manager and was told to take my car to a body shop and get an estimate. I took it to the closest body shop and they said it appeared the paint was applied “soft” then he gave me an estimate. A couple days later my Toyota Case Manager called again and told me the Dealer should’ve sent me to a specific auto body shop because they needed paint tests done. She sent me to a Toyota certified body shop where the owner took my car into their shop and looked it over. He then walked me over to another Highlander that had 52,000 miles to compare, there weren’t any paint chips on it. The shop owner told me there is an “excessive amount of paint chips for a car of my age and mileage”. Long story short my Toyota Case Manager called and said there is nothing they can do for me because all the paint tests were within a normal range.

My car was purchased in August of 2018 and is only 7 months old and already needs a new paint job. The paint chips started when I bought the car and every day I drive it I accumulate even more paint chips. I now have a seven month old car that already need a new paint job. Despite two separate body shops saying this is not normal Toyota says it is normal and refuses to do anything about it.

- Rob F., Canton, US