7.6

$1,044.00

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (12 reports)
  3. replace the piston rings and head gasket (5 reports)
  4. replace piston rings and head gasket (2 reports)
  5. new piston rings (1 reports)
  6. no (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

Aug 012016

RAV4 Limited V6

When I got my Rav4, I could gp 6,000-7,000 between oil changes. I always took it in for all its maintenance checks at the dealership. When it hit around 100,000 miles, I took it in for an oil change and they said there was hardly any oil in it. I actually took it in at around the 4,000 mile mark because the oil light flickered a little bit. I thought it was strange, but had them do an oil change and just dismissed it. However, it kept getting worse to the point where I have to add oil every 1200 miles or so. I took it to the dealership and told them I thought the engine was burning oil. They said they'd do a consumption test. They did the test and said it passed and there's no problem. I told the service guy that it can't possibly be running right and I wanted something done before my warranty was up -- I was at 110,000 miles at that point, and two months from the end of the 10 year warranty. He told me I don't have to worry, that my warranty "isn't up until 150,000 miles so to just keep watch on it" and if I have a problem again, to bring it back in. Once again, I was hitting the 3,100 mile mark and my oil light flickered when I took a corner. I checked the oil and there wasn't even enough oil in the engine to show on the dipstick. I called the Toyota dealership and after being sent to many people, they all said the same thing, "Sorry, but you're past your 10 year warranty, so this isn't covered." My son-in-law then found this website and found out that this isn't just me, but the same thing is happening to a lot of people with this car.

- , Huntley, US

Jun 012016

RAV4 LX 2.4L 4 cyl

I did oil changes every 3,000 miles. At 130,000 miles I started going through a qt of oil every 1,200 miles. Very disappointed in Toyota new standard of quality.

- , Lakewood, US

Mar 012017

RAV4 2.4L

This is my 8th Toyota. Love the cars..but not this one...it is baad...never buy another Toyota..for sure. To go to the shore on vacation I have to load 8 qts of oil to make the round trip.

- , Carlisle, PA, US

Feb 282017

RAV4

In December, ran out of oil 3000 miles after oil change, Did the Excess oil consumption test , burned a half a quart oil in 1200 miles. Toyota said test wasn't done right so repeated the test with the same 1/2 quart low results. So it failed the test, in other words, Toyota denies there is a problem. The test was done by a local garage who is approved to work on Toyota's, and they were in touch with the dealer.

800 miles later, oil so low not registering on dip stick. I happened to be in the city, so Took it to dealer, ( I live 220 miles away from dealer) they confirmed dipstick showing no oil. Added a quart, came up to safe level. Said I would have to wait 5000 miles to recheck and do consumption test again. I only drive about 7000 miles a year. Concerned that there is a problem and feel unsafe driving very far. Don't trust Toyota dealer. They told me to keep checking the oil every 1000 miles, keep a few quarts with me and add it as needed. This seems to me there is a problem.

- , Homer, AK, US

Mar 062017

RAV4 Limited 2.3L 4 cyl

My RAV4 has the oil burning problem. I only discovered what it was at 151,000 miles -- beyond Toyota's extended warranty limit. Of course, the problem grows worse by the way. I've had to add oil at about 1,000 miles after an oil change. Even with the added oil, the oil on the dipstick is dark -- burnt looking. I've talked with a couple of Toyota dealerships and they want nothing to do with this problem. I had planned to drive this car until it no longer moved. Looks like that might be a lot sooner than I expected.

- , Carrollton, US

Feb 012017

RAV4

When my Rav was in dealer for routine maintenance it was noted by the mechanic that the oil level was low. This was not brought to my attention. Then my oil light would come on and we added oil numerous times. On the next routine maintenance I told them we were adding a lot of oil and then they told me that some Toyotas are burning oil and they would do an oil consumption test and if we failed Toyota would replace the engine at no cost. Seemed like a good deal! So the car failed the oil consumption test. Then I was told we were outside of the date parameters set by Toyota to replace the engine for free. The cost to me would now be $3500. I called Toyota corporate and basically was told the same thing the dealer told me. I spoke to the dealer again because I have had several Toyota vehicles all serviced at this dealership Beck Toyota in Greenwood IN, they were willing to discount the engine rebuild $1000 off. So still $2500 out of pocket for me. I inquired why this was never a recall and was told because this involved too many vehicles and it would have been a large costly recall.

- , Indianapolis, US

Jan 122017

RAV4 LS 2.4L 4 cyl

The car was tested for oil consumption issues in 2015 and supposedly passed the dealers test. But I find that after changing the oil, the car is more than 1 quart low after only 2000 miles. I read about the issue and it seems that Toyota denies that using a qt of oil every 1-2K miles is normal. How can they call themselves a forward thinking "green" car company when their products waste oil like this? I am told the repair program for this issue expired in October 2016. These bad cars are still out there, Toyota should consider the damage to their reputation for not fixing this or least offering assistance. I would not buy another Toyota ever, and I will tell friends not to buy Toyota ON FACEBOOK and other social media if they don't at least offer some extended repair program.

- , Fremont, US

Feb 022015

RAV4 2.4L

Excessive oil consumption 2006 Toyota Rav4 have to add one quart of oil each month vehicle is well maintained.

- , Alpharetta, GA, US

Mar 252015

RAV4 Limited V4

Just found out today -- about 6 month past warranty! -- that excessive oil consumption was acknowledged but Toyota will not not offer any solution. This is a $1000+ repair that they didn't notify me about and even though my vehicle is 30,000 miles UNDER the mileage warranty they won't offer any restitution. This is a major engine issue that should be covered/recalled.

- , Myrtle Beach, SC, US

Mar 132017

RAV4

My car just failed an oil consumption test and I am outside the warranty. Have filed a claim with Toyota, but dealership and Toyota don't seem willing to help. My problem started with a slight flicker of an engine oil light. I had my husband check my oil and found it almost empty. We immediately put a quart in and drove it to the dealership where they started some paperwork and filled my oil and put tape across the oil cap. They had me return between 1000 and 1300 miles. At 1200 miles today I took it in and was told it was about 2 quarts low. When purchasing the car I purchased their lifetime Oil change and have had my car in every 3000 miles for regular oil changes. Never was my car low on oil and all seemed fine. They claim I was mailed a letter offering an oil consumption test which I never received but never once was an issue brought up or personally offered an oil consumption test while under warranty. This issue seems to be across many years of Toyotas. I am getting some quotes and doing some legal research. I know Toyota is aware of this issue and believe it should be a recall. My model car has been a part of at least five recalls and my trust in Toyota is gone. I am under their 150 thousand extended warranty program but don't meet it because I am over the 10 years since purchase date. Really upsetting and hope to see Toyota pay for a known issue and defective part they put in cars.

Update from Apr 18, 2017: After three weeks of calling every level of management within the dealership, Toyota corporate offices twice, and filing several claims, I finally got my dealership to contribute half of the repair costs. Pistons and rings, fluids, were replaced. I believe the coast for this repair was around $2900 which I paid half. While they worked on my car I had my spark plugs, along with several other items serviced at additional fees. I have it back for about 2 weeks and things seem to be running fine. I hope this becomes a recall as it's certainly a defective engine part that Toyota is aware of.

- , Phoenix, US

Dec 172015

RAV4 LX 4 cyl

THIS CAR IS A LEMON!!

at 75,000 miles so far the engine was rebuilt for excessive oil consumption

- , Piedmont, USA

Oct 152010

RAV4 LX 2.4L

my Toyota Rav4 burns 4 quarts of oil every month, this is ridicules, something needs to be done about this problem.

- , Littleton, CO, US

Jun 252015

RAV4 2.4L

This has been more and more of a constant worry. I've had to replenish my oil levels multiple times between my last five scheduled services. I know the guys at Valvoline are not happy to see me.

- , West Chester, OH, US

Jan 012017

RAV4 2.4L

Toyota did an oil change for me earlier this year and didn't say that were doing an oil consumption test but later it was found by the markings on the stick and cover that they did do a test, but didn't inform me on how many miles I should drive it to return it to see if there's an issue. Toyota sent out a recall on the engine/piston rings/head gasket conveniently for them, only 3 months after my 10 year warranty was up. I brought in the car to get the test that was required by the recall but they told me it was no longer under warranty and there's nothing they could do. The mileage on the car also doesn't exceed to warranted amount... so it's unfortunate that they won't help me considering they started the test months before, it's on paper, and they didn't inform me that they actually DID the test or when to come back. I consider that bad business on both the Toyota shop I went to (Valenti's of Westerly, R.I.) and Toyota itself (customer service line).

- , Westerly, RI, US

Mar 012017

RAV4 Sport 2.4L Dohc-4

I bought a spotless Toyota RAV4 in June of 2016 with 130,000 miles. The car had 2 previous owners and all of the service records. It had been well cared for and serviced frequently. The Car Fax was perfect. .... I bought a Toyota because if well cared for, as this one was, they will be dependable for 300,000 miles.

When I bought the car I checked the oil and it was fine. Checked it again in August and it was 2 quarts low! I was amazed. I asked a parts guy at the local Toyota dealership and he said he knew of no issues. After speaking to a auto-repair shop owner I was made aware there was indeed a problem and that Toyota knew about it. I called the Toyota dealer again and this time the service department told me there had been a recall but I missed out on the recall by about 6 months.

Bottom line is I am pissed and feeling ripped off for owning a Toyota that should have been recalled. I am putting a quart of oil in it MORE FREQUENTLY THEN EVERY 500 MILES! I just keep adding oil because I don't know what else to do. PLEASE HELP.

- , Everett, WA, US

Dec 012016

RAV4 ES 4 cyl

I HAVE A 2006 RAV4 WHICH IS BURNING OIL. CALLED TOYOTA AND THEY SAID TO BRING IN FOR OIL CONSUMPTION TEST. SO MY WIFE GOES TO DROP IT OFF AND SERVICE SAID IT IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY. WHEN I MADE THE APPOINTMENT I WAS TOLD IT WAS . THE WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT STATES 10 YEARS OR 150,000 MILES. I WILL BE GOING BACK TO TOYOTA ON MONDAY. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH NEW HOLLAND TOYOTA, HAVE OWNED 5 OF THE ALL BOUGHT AT THIS DEALER.

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Oct 262015

RAV4 LX V4

I reported to Germain Toyota in Naples, FL on 10/26/15 that my engine had burned all the oil in 3711 miles. They did an oil consumption test and said it passed. I don't think the test was done properly. The documentation was on their standard Repair Order Detail form that just said it passed.

Again I reported to them on 3/11/16 that there was no oil after 2496 miles. They told me it was already tested and it was fine.

On 10/6/16 I reported there was no oil (plus I had added 3 quarts) after 3580 miles. They did an oil consumption test and said it FAILED. The documentation I have for the most recent test is on a form specific to the oil consumption test, thorough & complete.

But they will do nothing to fix it because as of 4/3/16 it was out of warranty based their first date of use calculation. This decision, I was told, was from the Toyota District Manager. It was not out of warranty when I originally reported the problem at two different times to them. But now that it's out of warranty they admit that there is an oil consumption problem. The fact that they won't fix a problem they identified as being "their" problem shows a total disregard for my safety.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Oct 152014

RAV4 2.4L

My 2006 Rav4 burns oil. I run premium synthetic and change my oil and filter every 5000 miles. For the last two years I've been adding two quarts between oil changes. My problem isn't as bad as others but that still a lot to add between oil changes. Replaced the valve cover gasket and that seemed to help reduce the issue. The valve cover gasket is made of rubber and and gets brittle and cracks. If you have a Rav4 that's 5-10 years old and haven;t done that gasket you should.

- , Fort Myers, FL, USA

Sep 202015

RAV4 Limited V4

I have Toyota 2006 RAV4 that suddenly started burning engine oil since September, 2015. When I noticed that, I watched closely and it was consuming more than a quarter in 1600KM, then I took it to a Toyota dealer they registered the issue then contacted Toyota Canada on my behalf, next week when I called the dealer again they provided me a reference number (2427689) which was given by Toyota Canada and told me that the good news is it is covered under standard warranty and Toyota Canada will fix it for no cost, you are on the waiting list and have to wait.

After couple of weeks I contacted the dealer again but got the same response to wait for my turn. I had no choice except to wait and pay for the extra oil every two weeks, later I noticed that the oil consumption problem exceeded and it burned 3 quarter for 1700KM, the last time I visited the Toyota dealer was a month ago and got the bad news saying that "Toyota Canada has put this fix on hold and we cannot tell you when they will start again to fix oil burning issues".

This has become a major issue now and very annoying now. I have to spend more on oil than gas while driving this vehicle, which has really mad me unhappy and if Toyota Canada cannot take responsibility then why they give wrong promises to their customers and put them on a fake waiting list.

Khair Mohammad

Toronto, ON

Canada

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Mar 312016

RAV4 3.2L V6

Car was purchased after previous owner traded in on a lease in 2011. Car is presently in the shop; was my husband's car until he passed July 2015; We have had this car maintained faithfully with proper oil changes, etc.... when my daughter started using his car we started putting oil in it; She recently got stuck on highway car smoking; had it towed to local Toyota dealership and they are doing a tear down of the engine to determine problem. I called their corporate headquarters to put the initial complaint in. Waiting to hear what result will be but will fight it all the way...... WTH Nice car and we love it but shouldn't have to pay for what is being done......

Update from Nov 2, 2016: after tearing down the engine they found the engine block had a hole in it and are replacing at no charge; yessssssss..... somebody up there likes me......

- , Danbury, CT, USA