Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

Jun 062011

"takata recall" we have had the vehicle skid control problem for a couple of years now.we are only owners of this vehicle since we purchase it. The lights comes on with a jerk of a movement to engage thevrc control lights on.

- Denair, CA, USA

Oct 212017

The car makes a loud sound as if something was stuck underneath. At the same time it pulls to the right while severely vibrating. Also at the same time the lights for tracking control and stability control turn on. After a few seconds the car seems to be in normal driving mode again except for the warning lights for the vsc off-light. The warning lights reset sometimes but that only leads to the same problem starting again.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Oct 022017

My vehicle's vehicle stability control is engaging for no apparent reason while driving straight on a clear, clean, dry road. This has happened multiple times per month. Both on highway and city street. (25mph-70mph) controlling the car can become hard to do. Pretty loud grinding sound is heard when it is engaged. Fear an accident may happen because the vehicle may pull due to the brakes engaging unexpectedly.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 022017

My 2002 Sequoia has a saftey issue that needs to be addressed. While driving in a freeway 65mph my SUV violently pulls to the right almost causing a crash, the "vsc" and "trac off" lights turn on in dash cluster

- Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 082012

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving between 20 and 35 mph, the stability control system activated independently without warning. The contact coasted the vehicle to the side of the road, turned off the engine, and waited a few minutes. The contact restarted the vehicle and the stability control reset back to normal. The vehicle was taken to mossy Toyota (located at 4555 mission bay dr, san diego, ca 92109) where it was diagnosed that the ECU software needed to updated or replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to the repair fees. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the VIN was not included in a recall. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000....updated 11/21/17

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 012017

This problem started on 8/1/2017 ecs and ABS lights came on with check engine light. Millage was 190753. I was driving when this occurred. Having tried to find the fault for this condition was futile. I do suspect the ECU is failing.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Aug 122017

While driving at any speeds 65mph on freeway to around town at 30-40 mph the vsc trac and also vsc off light comes on and the car pulls to the right and acts like it is braking. This has happened multiple times at any speed. We have just missed cars from the pull to the right. Very scary because it just happens no warning.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 312017

When driving on normal (safe and dry) road conditions, the vsa and trac control elements of the vehicle engaged and nearly caused me to crash. Braking was severely inhibited (had to pump brakes to get them to work) and steering was jolted to the right/affected nearly causing an inadvertent lane change at highway speeds (65 miles per hour). Was assessed by Toyota and ruled to be a faulty steering column sensor and yaw rate sensor which is an astronomically expensive repair. My family is not safe in this vehicle due to the defect. Please do something! this should be a recall!

- Acworth, GA, USA

Nov 162006

The warning lights ABS, vsc, emergency brakes, track, slip indicator comes on all the time after engine start running. In certain instances, the vehicle does not respond to acceleration for few seconds. The problem started around 70K miles. Toyota dealer has check the vehicle and said that the problem is the ECU computer and the estimated cost is about $3,000.oo dollars with only 3 month warranty. The mechanic explained that the vehicle would be able to brake but non of the features above will be functioning. The mechanic also stated that this is very common problem with Sequoia models but there is no recall or warranty for this problem at the time it was diagnosed. Since the repair for our SUV is not affordable for us and there is so much uncertainty in its safety, we use it in a limited basis.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jun 292017

About a month ago I was driving on the highway at about 60mph and all of a sudden my vehicle began to jerk erraticly, became hard to control steering and braking, seemed to be braking on its on, it made a very loud grinding noise and some sort of alarm starting beeping and my vsc lights and traction control lught starting flashing. This lasted about 3 minutes and continues to happen sporadically every 2 to 3 days. There is no cause and no rhythm or reason for this to happen. I am always on a seemingly flat smooth surface moving straight ahead at a moderately high rate of speed between 50 and 70mph..

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Jul 012017

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stability control and traction control warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the vehicle decelerated and braked independently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and was not repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 239,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 192017

My father and I were leaving frys electronics on Friday May 19, 2017. As we turned from the fry's parking lot to head on the 60 fwy all of a sudden the vsc started beeping and just as we we picking up speed(50mph) the truck started to swerve while at the same time a grinding sound went off my father pushed the vsc off switch but did not have any effect on what was happening. When the beeping had stopped both vsc off and vsc lights had stayed on and the vehicle seemed to be running ok and ever since that day whenever we use the Sequoia the lights come on and stay on during the trip on occasions it doesn't turn on after about 5 mins the beeping goes on and vehicle engine immediately slows and grinding sound goes on and causes vehicle to swerve and my father is a bit elderly so as a son I am putting in this complaint in hopes of some assistance in repairs this malfunction. My parents are retired and do not have an good income, is there any possible way Toyota can fix this malfunction which seems to be quite a problem amoungst Sequoia owners thank you for your time and patience I will await a response thank you. I would also like to apologize to the reader for the lack of my letter skills and hope I was able to express the problem for you to understand

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

May 242017

Takata recall. Vehicle stability control system my 2002 Sequoia began beeping, making a loud grinding noise and the traction light came on. I had little to no control of the vehicle.I am scared because it have happen on the freeway going 60-65ph. I literly do not have any control of my car everytime this happens.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 142017

2002 Sequoia SR5 milage 150322. Been reading complaints on traction control that trac off and vac trac lights turn on and inside cab starts beeping and grinding noise comes from driver side wheel and looses RPM's.thats what happening to my truck also. Used code scanner at its saying its the yaw sensor why haven't this issue been recalled.needs to be recalled. It's dangerous!!! was driving 35 mph and the street light turned red. I pressed the break and truck syarted to beep, shake, and grind, started pumping breaks truck wouldn't stop and when it did was to late had already passed the red light. I've could of caused an accident and sevierly been injured or could of injured somebody else. Lucky my family wasn't in the truck at the time it happened.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 242017

2002 Toyota Sequoia mfg. August 2002 has not had a recall for the traction control system. April 1, 2002 to April 17 2003 the Toyota Sequoia under NHTSA # 10V17600 and # EA09006 had the 2003 Toyota Sequoia recalled for problems on the traction control system. My Sequoia the vsc and trac lights will come on and then go off, even when road conditions are dry, or when even when vehicle is parked, when I go from park to drive.. in February 2017 I had a check engine lite come on, and also the vsc lights and trac lights cam on. I went to an auto zone, they coded the machine, which a generic P1126 light came on also, which was a defective magnetic clutch code. After they coded the Toyota, all the lights have been off this past week, with 125 miles placed on vehicle.

- Grove City, PA, USA

Jan 022017

We have had the vsc/trac flashing warning lights come on, with a grinding noise and beeping alarms as we drive the vehicle on the road and/or on the freeway. The steering wheel vibrates and the vehicle slows down. Incident lasts approximately 10-20 seconds. Once it stops the vsc/trac light comes on until you stop driving. This occurs randomly when we are driving the vehicle on the road or on the freeway. We never know when it will happen when driving the vehicle. We are no longer driving the vehicle on long distance road trips or on the highway because we are afraid that we will get into an accident. We feel it is a health and safety issue that Toyota must address immediately.

- San Lorenzo, CA, USA

Nov 152016

ABS engages, hesitation from dead stop, stability control lights flicker.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 142016

I purchased my Sequoia in 2003 and the trac off/vsc trac lights started turning on a few months after purchase. I have told the dealer every time I bring the car for service and have always been told that they cannot find a problem. Once I turn off car the lights go off. Well, on July 2015 while traveling on a windy road at 35 mph, we heard an warning alarm sound for the first time and the steering locked for about two seconds and the car felt like we had a flat tire or dragging something underneath. After about 10 seconds the car resumed back to normal as if nothing had happened. About two weeks later, I was backing out of a parking stall and it did the exact thing, including steering wheel locking. I thought I had raned over something, but the car went back to normal. Now every two weeks after I get on the freeway this seems to happen, one time it sounded like my engine fell off. Sometimes is worse than others and it doesn't matter if I'm going 25 or 65 mph. A few months ago I was traveling at 65 and the alarm came on, the grinding and dragging noise and my car started slowing down and swirved to the right. I just barely missed a motorcyclist. Lucky no one was behind me or I would have been rear ended. I purchased Toyota for their safety and quality reputation. I take good care of my car and safety of my family is my priority. As I stated before, I have been complaining about this issue to my Toyota dealer for years and they tell me there is no problem with my car. Now my problem is much bigger than just a light turning on. This should be a major concern and we should not wait for a loss of life to happen. Any car that loses power in the middle of a freeway without warning should be of grave concern to all. I love my car but cannot afford to trade it in.

- Downey, CA, USA

Nov 072016

When making left turns the vehicle skid control vsc/trac is being activated, the brake's control is being taken over by the vsc/trac computer, and the car won't slow down, until the vsc/trac turns off. The vsc/trac light is turned on, and grinding noise is being heard when it happens.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 272016

Sequoia 8-cyl

Complaint - electronic stability control, steering, vehicle speed control while driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia while turning on city street & highway I encountered two significant safety issues the traction control system comes on while driving at various speeds, the vsc and traction warning lights ABS & engine lights are illuminated as the vehicle pulled to the left/right. When the issue occurred, the vehicle makes a grinding sound and pulls very hard to the left/right. The vehicle loses acceleration and feels like the anti-lock braking mechanism is being engaged. The jerking pull resulted in crossing multiple lanes of the highway before control of the vehicle was regained. This is going to cause deaths known issues with other Sequoias.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA