Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tacoma:

Oct 012017

My trucks frame rusted to where the cab is in grave danger of separating from the bed of the truck. We didn't get a recall on the frame and had no idea this was happening. The truck was bought new and we do live where they put salt on the roads. Now, Toyota said they will not help remedy this at all because the truck wasn't taken into a Toyota dealership in approx. 6 mths or however long they had known about this. How were we to know it should have been taken in? we had no prior notice until we saw it ourselves and a mechanic noticed it and wouldn't jack the truck up to repair a brake line. He said it would separate the truck from the cab part.

- Florence, KY, USA

Mar 182017

Frame rust

- Stevensburg, VA, USA

Oct 012017

Tacoma frame recall: Good day, I was doing some research online with my matter and people were saying to contact the national highway safety administration. I have a 2002 single cab Toyota Tacoma which frame has totally rusted out now with a hole rite through the frame. I provided Toyota with my VIN number yet they say I am not eligible for a frame replacement yet this is a factory default on Toyota fault. My truck is currently extremely dangerous to be on the road and I use it every day for work where my line of work involves driving from house to house everyday all day and I was wandering if you could help with filing a claim against Toyota? I have attached a picture of the frame which is above the rear passenger wheel. I look forward to your response. Nicholas ritchie 415 996 6872

- Orleans, MA, USA

Sep 012017

The frame is rotting out. Toyota had the vehicle frame coated with some kind of tar substance because the frame was suspect to heavy corrosion. The coating which was done around 2010 did not work and the vehicle now has holes in the frame due to heavy rust. This is a known issue with these vehicles. Toyota offered a non-working solution that did not fix the problem. The coating was just a gimmick and not a solution to the frame rot.

- Alvaton, KY, USA

May 012012

My frame has significant rust, and has holes in the frame near the passenger side leaf spring attachment. I purchased and registered the truck towards the end of Toyota's goodwill campaign, but they did not notify me. Previous owner received no notice of campaign, so the frame was not sprayed internally with rust prohibitor treatment. Truck has approx. 136,000 miles, and is otherwise in good condition. Toyota should recall the frames for this model year like they did for other model years. The goodwill campaign was advertised inconsistently, and a serious structural issue should be a recall, not arbitrary. Case #1402130463 was established with Toyota a few years ago, but they have not done anything about it. They also could not confirm that prior owner was contacted regarding goodwill campaign.

- East Lyme, CT, USA

Aug 092017

I have a 2002 Tacoma and found the frame where the front part of the rear leaf spring has rusted through. The over load spring is holding the driver side rear of the vehicle up. This vehicle had 50,000 actual miles on it and there is noway that this should be happening.

- Custer, SD, USA

Jul 172017

Vehicles frame is rusting through. I have never seen a frame rust through to the point where you can poke holes through it with a finger, this is happening with my Tacoma and is very dangerous. I purchased this last April, and did not know about the frame issues Toyota's have until they recalled the 05-15 models for the same exact issue, I heard they are also in the process of recalling 95-00. Toyota will not assist me because their customer frame assistance program ended last month. Even though I just purchased 3 months ago and this is not an issue a vehicle should have, Toyota is going to get someone killed. The numerous Toyota representatives I talked to told me they know their frames are faulty and that this was Toyota's fault, yet he could not assist me due to company policy of their frame replacement program ending a month prior, even though almost all the years around my 02 Tacoma have been recalled. Toyota needs to be held accountable to an actual recall, not just a customer satisfaction program that they conveniently wont assist me with, before someone gets killed. I cant afford to get rid of this Tacoma nightmare. There isnt even a speck of rust on the body, look underneath however and the frame is rusted out.

- Blair, NE, USA

May 082017

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic to be serviced due to excessive swaying when driving. The certified mechanic stated that the frame underneath the vehicle was corroded. The manufacturer stated that the recall was closed and the vehicle would not be repaired. The manufacturer opened case number: 1705200515. The approximate failure mileage was 183,000.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Nov 012016

I was driving on a highway at about 55 mph. The right lower control ball joint broke so the entire wheel broke off the vehicle. The vehicle tried to run/jump over the wheel and caused the vehicle to slammed down on the asphalt. The truck dragged on the asphalt for about 100 to 150 yds until I managed to control and stop it.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 142017

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was stationary, the contact noticed that the frame was rusted and severely corroded. The contact stated that there were holes in the frame of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 230,000. The VIN was not available.

- Watertown, WI, USA

Mar 022017

Excessive rust corrosion on the vehicle frame. Excessive rust corrosion to the point where there are actual holes in the main frame of the vehicle where the vehicles suspension attaches. The vehicle had been inspected for corrosion and under recall and had additional corrosion protection applied. I just noticed the holes in the frame on March 2, 2017 and wish to inquire if the vehicle falls under the extended frame warranty. Judging by the extent of rust and damage to the vehicles frame, I feel confident stating that the damage happened several months to a year ago.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Jan 162017

I went to have my tires rotated. When they raised the truck on the lift the frame broke on both sides of the truck near the bed. The entire bed of the truck fell backwards. The frame was completely rusted through. I had owned the truck for four years and never received a notice from Toyota that this might be an issue. I called Toyota and they admitted that there was an issue with the frame but my vehicle was not part of the recall. As a result they refused to help fix the issue. My $11,000 truck is now totaled. A worker at the tire place could have easily been killed. This is also a concern with myself and family that drove in this vehicle unaware of any issue. Toyota has avoided fixing a known problem by taking advantage of a weak recall requirement issued by the government and has cost hardworking families money and could end U costing someone a life. All to save money. Why does Toyota get to admit they made a mistake but only be required to fix in on vehicles they chose?

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 032013

The frame has rusted out and I have been trying for years to get Toyota to cover this damage.

- Colonie, NY, USA

Dec 262016

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. When the vehicle was taken to be serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 12V542000 (tires), the technician discovered that the passenger side frame was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 212,632. Updated 05/10/17

- Topsham, ME, USA

Jan 012008

I have driven this vehicle very little. Has 46500 miles, done in stamford ct a city that does not use salt in the winter but only sand. I noticed excessive rust under and it needed to weld steel plates to support the chassis twice ( the first when the car was 5 years old). In spite of that the deterioration continued and now the chassis is broken near the front passenger wheel making the cat lock, unable to turn, undrivable, parked at home. Cars of this model were recalled by Toyota at first some years ago and even after that more people complained and additional prior years were added. I have contacted Toyota dealer in stamford and tells me it is prior to the latest recall.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Nov 302014

I own a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The vehicle was taken to a tire shop and the technician noticed that the frame of the vehicle had a considerable amount of rust. The dealer diagnosed that the frame needed to be replaced due to the rust and the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The vehicle needs to repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Champlain, NY, USA

Jun 092016

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The vehicle was taken to a tire shop and the technician noticed that the frame of the vehicle had a considerable amount of rust. The dealer diagnosed that the frame needed to be replaced due to the rust and the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 164,000....updated 03/13/17 updated 08/11/2017

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 272016

Tacoma 4WD

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The contact noticed rust on the vehicle's frame near the spring hanger on the passenger side. The contact took the vehicle the dealer, but the vehicle was not covered under warranty due to the coating on the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the frame of the vehicle was rusted completely through. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000. Updated 01/25/2017

- Maggie Valley, NC, USA

Sep 152016

Body frame is rusted to a point where the vehicle is unsafe to drive

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Aug 242016

I was informed by Toyota case worker that the rusty frame recall expired and it is my problem now. I didn't receive any frame recall notice but received a spare tire lift plate recall (which doesn't expire) due to rust and severe corrosion. I was informed by dealership my truck was unsafe to even put on the lift to address current recall, of course they let me drive it home which is a 35-40 minute drive for me. I was forced to scrap my truck with a perfectly good motor because how unsafe it was and the expense to fix it on my own. I didn't realize the severity of the problem until I crawled under my truck and was beside myself! I had huge holes in the frame, the leaf springs were shot, all this was under the "undercoating" that was done at time of purchase to protect frame from rust! I paid extra for that! even my seat mounts on the interior back seat were rusted! I suspect the quality of metal used is on the lower side... I used my truck as a truck, hauled small amounts of mulch, soul for my garden, it moved me 5X! I didn't go muddling in it, park it in a pond, or live in a flood area. I just used it... how is there an expiration date for the ongoing problem that can ultimately jeapardize a persons safety as well as others on the road?! please hold Toyota responsible...

- Centerburg, OH, USA