Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tacoma:

Dec 162010

Tacoma 6-cyl

Was driving on the highway when the truck engine began to thump. Towed truck to Toyota dealership where the first day they said internal engine failure, the next day they said engine oil pump failure. The oil light indicator never came on before and after the incident. I had an oil change from another Toyota dealership on November 30th.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 022008

I own an "02" Toyota Tacoma that was built and sent to me in that same year. The problem that I have experienced is that the A/C went out. I rarely use the A/C in the summer time, but I do get a lot of use out of the heater in the winter. The problem was not noticeable until I had the vehicle for approximately four years. I began to smell a burning smell. Once smoke actually came out of the vents. Eventually the fuse burnt. I replaced it and the A/C worked for a short while then the fuse burned again. I began using the A/C to attempt to determine the problem with the A/C. it recently stopped completely and I can hear the fan ticking as it rotates. This is obviously a manufacturer defect and I did nothing to aggravate this situation. I have and continue to have problems with the drivers' side shoulder harness. I can't move freely once it's locked in. It catches and keeps me from moving freely. I just locks me down and I can't reach for any controls until it eventually releases me so I can move. It seems that all of this occurred at different intervals. I never expected such poor quality of workmanship from such a trusted automobile manufacturer. Had I known or had any idea that this would eventually result in no A/C, I would have taken it in during the warranty period. Now I have no A/C and am not financially prepared to pay the cost involved in repairing it. I will think twice before I even consider purchasing another Toyota product. I also had one of my tailgate wire rope supports just corrode and break. How this happened I don't know. It is insulated with a thick plastic, the entire length. This is pending as is the A/C. I went to the Toyota product for the quality and ended up regretting that I thought that Toyota was a marque for quality.

- Elizabethtown , KY, USA