Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

Feb 012018

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at any speed, the suspension made an abnormal noise. Prior to the noise, the vehicle was repaired per an unknown manufacturer recall pertaining to the frame. The contact was uncertain if the recall repair caused the suspension noise. The vehicle was taken to more than two dealers, including tansky sawmill Toyota (6300 sawmill rd, dublin, oh 43017, (614) 766-4800) and buckeye Toyota (1903 riverway dr, lancaster, oh 43130, (740) 654-3943) to be diagnosed, but the failure could not be duplicated. The contact was uncertain if the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was not available.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Oct 232018

Tacoma

97,224 miles. The frame is rusted and broken at the left front near the cab mount under the door. My truck was made in Canada, but I purchased it used in minneasota, so it's registered in us. Canada's frame warranty class action lawsuit requires my truck to be registered in Canada to qualify for a new frame and Toyota us requires my truck to be made in the us to qualify for the massive frame recall here. What can I do to make my otherwise very nice truck safe to drive again? the crack was discovered during an oil change and I have only driven it 1/2 a mile since. Thank you.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 122018

Tacoma

Car ABS wire disconnect, coolant in transmission lines and 4th gear not functional.

- W. Chester, OH, USA

Aug 022017

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension); however, the contact stated that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was taken to jim barkley Toyota (located at 777 brevard rd asheville, nc 28806 828-667-8888) who stated that the leaf spring would not be replaced due to the frame being rusted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and opened case number: 1704112480. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Mars Hill, NC, USA

Aug 132017

Tacoma

The gas tank straps rusted and the gas tank fell from the body of the truck while in motion at low speed entering a parking lot. The vehicle was part of the North East corrosion recall and serviced in Nov 2015. However, the straps were not replaced and failed about 21 months later. Case filed with Toyota, 1708182077 with no resolution nor concern with the condition. Ira Toyota of manchester invoice# 736796 replaced the fuel sub-assy bands P/N 77601-04050 and 77602-04010. A small amount of fuel was spilled due to the low speed of travel at the time and short distance to stop the vehicle (about 5mph and 30 feet). Concern is for the safety of those that might have straps fail while at higher speed.

- Litchfield, NH, USA

May 242017

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The contact stated that there was rust and cracks on the undercarriage and the leaf springs were not connected properly. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer (valley hi Toyota 14612 valley center drive victorville ca 92395 780-241-6484), but they declined to assist and stated that the vehicle was in operational condition. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 153,000.

- Adelanto, CA, USA

May 172017

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact found a hole in the frame. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Apr 202017

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While inspecting the vehicle, it was discovered that the subframe was rusted and corroded. The cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Mar 132017

Tacoma

Went to get my car inspected and it failed for a rusted frame. Did some research and found out it's under recall.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 162017

Tacoma

I went to my mechanic for a small repair recently and he informed me (and showed me) extensive rust on the frame and a major split in the frame from the extensive rust. He has told me that perforations are imminent in the frame and that the frame will need to be replaced. He also found rust damage to my brakes, rotors, paint (chipping with rust), wheel caps, and tailgate. He informed me that I cannot safely drive this truck on dirt roads or haul anything. 75% of the roads where I reside are dirt roads. Cost of frame replacement would exceed what I paid for the truck; I have owned this truck for 6 months. I have contacted Toyota and a local Toyota dealership for assistance, but have yet to hear back from either. I understand there was a class action lawsuit that was settled in 2016 for this very issue. Toyota needs to replace the frame of my truck and repair or replace all of the affected parts of the truck due to the extensive rust damage. I use my truck to travel long distances in order to take care of my mom who lives 600+ miles from me; my mechanic has informed me that it is not safe to drive this truck for long distances. This has a substantial impact on my daily life and my ability to take care of my mom. I do not believe I should have to bare the responsibility or liability of the damage caused by deficient parts used in the manufacturing process. Toyota should be made liable for these damages. Please advise. I will be contacting my lawyer.

- Swanquarter, NC, USA

Jan 202017

Tacoma

The vehicle frame is so rusty everywhere including visible cracks that I do not know if it is safe to drive anymore. I am sure it will not be safe to tow anything for sure or the thing will break in half.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Oct 032016

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2006 Toyota Tacoma several years ago. My mechanic recently noticed severe rust damage to my frame when performing an oil change. They mentioned to me about a campaign that Toyota was doing where they were replacing frames or coating them. When I inquired about this I learned that the campaign had expired on 3/31/16. I spoke with an executive with Toyota several times only to be told that they would not do anything further since it is after the expiration date. They said they mailed out 3 notices in regards to the campaign in which I did not receive a one. I obviously would have taken care of such a safety issue had I known. I am very surprised that Toyota would not extend this campaign or that it would not be deemed as a full blown recall with no expiration! how can such a serious safety issue have an expiration date! I now have a vehicle that I am nervous to be driving let alone have a member of my family drive. This is very upsetting especially since I never received a notice.

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Jan 012014

Tacoma

Major frame rust issue. Frame is rusted to the point of perforation. Back on 6/23/14 Toyota advised spraying the undercarriage, which was done at a dealership repair order #0840463. Went back to have the leaf springs fixed due to recall and to have the frame inspected. Now the dealership says the frame rust recall expired in March of 2016 and it is out of their hands. Need to know how to get Toyota to fix the frame since the spraying did not rectify the problem and it continues to get worse.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Nov 282016

Tacoma

I took my Toyota Tacoma 2006 in for service at pauly Toyota 1035 S. route 31, crystal lake, il 60014 last night and they found several cracks in the frame, the area were the springs are mounting to, is really rusted and in really bad condition. The cracks don¿T seem to be new, and there is even paint in between the crack so they knew the crack was there in February 2015 when I took my truck to be painted, this was part of the frame rust recall by Toyota. The frame was not wire brush at least to get some of the rust off for the paint to attach to it, within 2 months big pieces of metal and paint were falling from the frame. On September of 2015 I took my truck to pauly Toyota to be inspected for hole or problems in the frame, because of the big pieces of metal falling from the frame and they said everything was ok. Now a year later the frame has several cracks.

- Mchenry, IL, USA

May 262016

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I took my 2006 Toyota Tacoma to boch Toyota as part of Toyota service campaign regarding frame recall back in Dec of 2015. I waited 5 months to get my truck back to get it back in deplorable conditions. Truck was not repaired satisfactorily and I am still having issues with it. I have made several complaints to Toyota and both Toyota to no avail. Truck barely running.

- Boston, MA, USA

Nov 012016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer in 2015 where an anti-corrosive material was applied to the subframe. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact discovered that the subframe experienced severe rusting and corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Bismarck, IL, USA

May 202016

Tacoma

Toyota settlement on frames: Frame rusted out underneath, there is a class action law suit that just got settled with Toyota, see below. Problem when I go to a Toyota dealer to have it fixed they say its to late but the settlement clearly lists my year and make truck. news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/11/Toyota-settles-pickup-frame-rust-lawsuit-for-34-billion.html settlement from Toyota

- Crownsville, MD, USA

Sep 292016

Tacoma

Vehicle was subject to a limited service campaign for frame corrosion that expired March 2016. I was unaware of this campaign and when I took my vehicle in for service at the dealership, I was informed that my vehicle would have been covered by the campaign and that the current state of the frame is questionable to pass Virginia state inspection next year. I have filed a BBB complaint and the response from Toyota was that they are compliant with all regulations and that no accommodation or extension of the lsc will be considered. I am the original owner who now has a vehicle that could potentially fail due to an acknowledged defect by the manufacturer.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Oct 022016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle frame experienced severe corrosion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not provided.

- Rose Hill, MS, USA

Sep 012016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was stationary, the contact noticed that the frame was rusted severely. The vehicle was taken to be repaired per a recall in which the frame was spraycoated, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000. The VIN and NHTSA campaign number were unavailable.

- Appleton, WI, USA