7.9

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Toyota Tacoma:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Sep 012017

Tacoma Trd Off Road 3.5L

I'VE GOT THE NOTHING TO SAY. TOYOTA LET ME DOWN. I WANT MY 1990 SHORT BED STD CAB!!!!

- parkertm70, Bella Vista, US

May 012018

Tacoma SR5 3.5L V6

This is more to offer a counter opinion to everyone complaining about their transmission problems. First of all, the transmission is a manumatic, so you can bump over into manual mode, shift into 6th and drive your happy little ass off in that gear all day long except under extreme conditions where the PCM will force a downshift.

Second, more speeds in a transmission are a result of CAFE regulations forcing automakers to get more creative in improving fuel economy and emissions performance. The new generation Tacoma has a very low ratio overdrive to bump down engine speed as much as possible while cruising. I agree that when you leave things up to the PCM, the shift schedule can be annoying, and there's room for improvement, but I can also tell you, having been on the design side of this equation, that this is the future of the internal combustion powertrain... smaller displacement, different types of thermodynamic cycles doing things people aren't used to, and more speeds to allow optimal engine speed and load combinations for maximum fuel economy and emissions standards.

The new Tacoma is doing all of these things. If you really don't like it, get an older vehicle, a manual transmission, a diesel, a hybrid, an electric vehicle, or ask your congressmen to change CAFE and emissions standards. Because I know why the transmission shifts so often, it really doesn't much bother me, and like I said, you can always just bump it over into manual mode if you bothers you so much. My .02...

- thinker6786ap, Atlanta, US

Feb 062018

Tacoma Off Road 3.5L V6

I am or was a die hard Toyota customer - I've purchased 7 new and 1 used Toyota in since 2003; I recently bought a new 2017 4-Runner in Nov, 2017 and love it. The 2017 Tacoma Off Road Extender Cab Short Box was purchased on 1-5-18. Noticed some transmission rough shifting, but it wasn't until traveling on the I-94 Interstate in cruise at 70 MPH that the transmission was constantly and abruptly down shifting and the RPM would jump from around 2000 at 70 MPH to 3100 as the truck tried to regain the 70 MPH speed on the slightest incline including a less than a few inch rise as I drove over a several bridges.

Took it back to the dealer who informed me there wasn't a recall, but there were problems and they had a "service bulletin" to upgrade the computer software which would "fix" the problem. They kept the vehicle from 8AM to 3:30PM on 2-13-18 and when I picked it up I was told the software was already installed on the vehicle before I bought it and that the shifting is "Normal". What a Joke - I really liked the looks of the truck and this is my 3d Tacoma and w/b the LAST one as I will trade it in as soon as the warranty expires.

REALLY DISAPPOINTED and ashamed at both TOYOTA for NOT correcting the problem and myself for not checking the complaints B4 I purchased it - Toyota and the Penske Dealership won't B seeing me anytime soon if at all after this experience.

- Eric S., Madison, WI, US

Mar 192018

Tacoma TRD Sport V6

REALLY POOR TRANSMISSION. Every morning after take-off when engine is cold the transmission SLIPS, very dangerous as the truck will not engage gear and start slowing down. When coming to a stop there is a loud clunk noise in the transmission, feels like someone rear ended your truck. The truck jerks when slowing down then accelerating (as soon as the gas pedal is engaged) and causes a noise within the transmission, I have noticed this problem more frequently when traveling at about 10-30mph. I regret making this 36k purchase, as no new vehicle should have those problems.

- fabis, Midwest City, US

Aug 012018

Tacoma TRD Off Road 3.5L V6

Currently at the Toyota dealership. My Tacoma has had problems shifting into drive if I'm parked on an incline. When I shift and hit the gas, it just clunks really fast and rolls backwards. It usually eventually catches gear or shifts. It is not safe to park on a hill! I could run someone over or hit another vehicle! Toyota is checking it out now. I will update when I find out more.

- Brenton W., Lowell, US

Sep 252017

Tacoma SR5 3.5L

I have owned this truck for about 8 months (4310 miles), bought new. This is one sorry truck, transmission continuously shifts back and forth. This truck is NOT a pleasure to drive, the transmission doesn't know which gear it needs to be in, so the truck bogs down, jumps and jerks. Toyota doesn't have a fix for this, but only says "We're working on it". I absolutely hate to drive this truck, as you can tell by the low mileage. I have owned several Toyota's and loved them, but this one is a LEMON.

- Charlie Y., Wilmington, US

Oct 272017

Tacoma SR5 3.2L V6

Bought truck in late October 2017. Have taken the truck back to dealership 4 times so far with the same complaint.....rough jerking at low rpms, especially when on a grade. Diagnostics are run on truck each time with same result...nothing showing up. Was told on last visit that they (dealership) are seeing this complaint more and more. They can't tell me if Toyota is working on a "fix" or not. I should have been more observant when I took the test drive. Had I known the truck was going to perform like this, I would have never bought it. Not very satisfied with the truck at this point. Toyota needs to fix the issue otherwise I won't be buying a Toyota again.

- mgr, Columbiana, US

Mar 052018

Tacoma SR5 V6

Purchased the truck with about 3,600 miles on it. Biggest problems seem to occur at 40-45 mph, especially if going up a hill or around a curve. It feels like it is missing or slipping. Really bad when I pull my small boat. I traded in a 2015 Nissan Frontier plus $16,000. Expensive mistake on my part. Wish I had my money and other truck back. Toyota corporate has contacted me and said they were trying to contact service manager at our local dealer, with no luck. I took it back and they said they checked it out and found no problems. I have been driving for 51 years and there is a problem!

- James K., Murfreesboro, TN, US

Aug 292017

Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 3.5L

This drivetrain is just awful. The transmission constantly clunks when coming to a stop, it almost feels like someone just rear ended me. It is always hunting for gears on the freeway. The engine is very sluggish and struggles to accelerate. It gets horrible gas mileage because it can never find a comfortable gear in cruise control to stay at. The only time the trunk really moves is if you damn near floor it. I am leasing the truck and got it back in August of 2017. My plan was to purchase after my lease is up but I think I have changed my mind and will be giving the truck back. Its a nice looking truck and I love all other features it has. I took it to Toyota and they said the transmission software is up to date. I wish I would of done more research before getting this thing!

- Sandeep S., Sacramento, CA, US

Jul 012017

Tacoma V6

I am an avid Toyota owner. Now I am frustrated and will try to get to a Real Answer concerning why my pickup runs like a vehicle that has never been tuned up. Why can't Toyota engineers come up with a solution to this on going issue. The smart transmission is not so smart after all. You know for the amount of money I have invested in Toyota, through the years l believe Corporate should cater to me and all of the other owners with this serious complaint. Otherwise I love my truck completely. The Dealership in Harrisonburg has been very good to me, and my wife - we have purchased many toyota vehicles from this Family dealership. Truly though I am beginning to reconsider why I made this purchase..

- David H., New Market, VA, US

Nov 012017

Tacoma Limited 4x4 3.5L V6

WELL AFTER 26 DAYS, NEW DIFFERENTIAL, DRIVESHAFT, AND COUPLER THE ISSUE HAS RETURNED AFTER ABOUT 300 MILES.

NOW I HAVE TO GO TO ANOTHER DEALER FURTHER FROM MY HOME AND NO LOANER CAR WILL BE GIVEN UNLESS THE VEHICLE TAKES MORE THAN 8 HOURS TO FIX.

THEN I NEED TO TAKE ANOTHER UBER TO GET THE LOANER AFTER THAT.

- kkarnell55, Boca Raton, US

Mar 012017

Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 V6

Been a long time Toyota fan, (Since 1977) Never had any problems with Toyota products. This is my 3rd Tacoma and I'm sorry I bought it. The truck is fairly nice except for the transmission shifting poorly, clunk in rear end?, poor gas mileage(18hywy). Also, the front hood alignment was off, found out that some plastic part broke during delivery, dealership repaired but didn't replace the 3m protectant, when I mentioned it to the service manager, he said there wasn't any on the original parts, I asked why was I charged for it and he had no answer and no restitution, they couldn't show the old part to prove/dis-prove my claim, all I have is the sales paperwork to prove the 3m, but still now support from the dealership. Now hood is doing it again and becoming mis-aligned only on the passenger side this time. This truck is made of very low end cheap plastic trim every where. They raised the price and lowered their quality. My relationship with Toyota is coming to an end. Took a $40k lemon and poor dealership customer service to make my switch, maybe try Nissan next.

- Dennis P., Auburn, US

Jul 132017

Tacoma

The transmission can not find the right gear. The truck is 6 Cyl but very underpowered and has hard time keeping with traffic.

At very slow speed it jerks and feel like some one lightly rear ended you.

The Toyota customer services sucks and they are not willing to do anything. I also experienced unwanted acceleration going down hill.

THIS TRUCK SUCKS FOR $40k:(

- Sasha F., San Jose, US

Aug 022017

Tacoma SR V6

When cold. Going downhill there is a lag for the transmission to engage....rpms increased kinda like a manual trans slipping...not the first time this has happened.

- blankerl, Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Mar 012017

Tacoma Trd Off Road V6

when you go down hill from a start the transmission does not engage until you give it gas and when you come to a stop the trans seems to clunk to neutral and then roughly will go into 1st gear to go. I leased my new Toyota Tacoma with the hopes of buying it at the end of the lease I have had it looked at and they said they made some sort of adjustment but still have the problem. Based on this rough shifting I do not think I will purchase this vehicle. It is a shame because other than this I love the truck.

- Clifford N., Winchester, VA, US

Feb 222017

Tacoma SR

Bought Tacoma with 42 miles on it. Hard Shifting from P to R and P to Drive. Shifting is jerky when accelerating hard - from zero to 30 plus to merge into traffic. Dealer insisted ATF level was normal and not the problem and this is normal feeling for their adaptive transmission. Took it in to service at 658 miles and told them the adaptive trans learning time was over but ambiguous hard shifting when accelerating is still constant. Service tech took on short drive and would not let me watch anything they did to check the ATF and hours later said nothing wrong.

- Anne B., Sacramento, US

Nov 012016

Tacoma TRD Off Road 3.5L V6

Aboslute regret buying a 2017 Tacoma. The new motor (3.5 V6) paired with a 6 speed transmission will leave you with no power when you need it and constant hunting/switching gears.

- Dove G., Saint Lucie, US

Feb 032017

Tacoma Off-Road 3.5L, V6

the transmission is an issue finding the correct gear

I hope Toyota finds a solution for the ongoing automatic transmission issues, related to searching for the correct gear and vibration in the acceleration pedal.

- smarcelinos , Aztec, US