Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

Feb 142012

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the front passenger wheel detached front the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the upper and lower bolt joints separated and as a result, the bolt joints and steering assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 240,000.

- Waco, GA, USA

Nov 032011

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the front driver side bolt joint broke off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who verified the failure and stated that it needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 170,000.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jul 052010

Tundra

I have owned a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4 since 2002. In July of this year I experienced a near wreck when I hydroplaned and was unable to regain control. When I tried to gain control I felt as if the truck was going to roll and I was forced to drive off the highway. Although I did not collide with anything I did have some damage to the rear axel with noises coming from it. The next day I took the truck to a local garage to inspect the vehicle and they found nothing. Not stopping there I crawled under and I found a broken link bolt on the right front sway bar. Upon inspection of the link bolt I found that the link had rusted to less than half of it's original diameter which lead to its failure. Taking this issue up with a Toyota dealer I had them repair both sides of the sway bar links. When the left link was removed it too was found to be broken. The design of the links are such that water and road salt can settle in the bushings causing them to rust. The broken links are likely why I was unable to regain control of my vehicle and caused damage to the rear end gears and axle. I have had this vehicle in for safety inspections on numerous occasions and nothing was found to be wrong. If professional technicians can't detect this problem than how can an owner and how can these owner's feel safe with these undetectable problems. I have saved these parts and feel that they are worthy of closer inspections.

- Brooklyn, CT, USA

Oct 222009

Tundra

Upper ball joints, rear springs, brakes front & back, and manual transmission, and O2 sensors too! this is what I have been repairing and was not aware of all of the recalls on my truck! so far I have just repairing it until today, after hearing about the newest recall! I will be calling my dealer Monday....

- Intervale, NH, USA

Oct 072009

Tundra

Yesterday, had $1300 work done on my 2002 Toyota Tundra. Mechanic advised me that my springs need replacement as they are completely rusted. This evening, susan wornick of channel 5 investigative team, did a report on Toyota Tundra rusting out. Specifically springs and frame. Ms. Wornick informed any owners of Tundra (2000-2001 and possibly 2002) to file complaint with NHTSA. Hence this email.

- Reading, MA, USA

May 092005

Tundra 8-cyl

The drivers side front suspension ball joints gave way as I was driving at 75mph on interstate 40 West in Texas at mile marker 14. The entire wheel, break, and axle assembly detatched at hi speed. The break line was severed. The assembly folded under the truck and I skidded on the wheel with little control until I could maneuver off of the interstate and maintain an upright position with the vehicle. The twisted tie rod kept the tire and wheel assembly from completely separating from the vehicle. The weather was light snow with a temperature of about 34 degrees. Time was appx 9.50 am. The truck was repaired without comment by street Toyota of amarillo, Texas at a cost of appx. $ 2,200. The dealer said there was an inordinate amount of wear on the front end steering components. The truck is in good condition with a good documented service record. The truck had been steering "loosely" and I had a mechanic examine the steering the previous week. He said it looked and drove ok, but he couldn't really tell. The truck has never been involoved in an accident or insurance claim.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 022005

Tundra 6-cyl

While driving 70 mph, the transmission stalled. The vehicle was towed. Dealership repaired the problem. The driver heard and felt a loud bump in the rear of the vehicle. The engine continued to run but the vehicle would not move when the consumer applied the gas pedal. There was rear end grease leaking from the right side rear showing on the wheel and tire. The mechanic stated that there was no connection between the rear brake, rear end leaking grease, the drive shaft and the failure of the transmission. The brakes were a major problem, the cruise control never kept speed or smooth, the left lower front ball joint had a catastrophic failure that caused the entire wheel, brake line and all essential components on the left side of the vehicle to come loose. The consumer requested reimbursement. The brakes were a problem on the vehicle, and the drums were replaced.

- Forestburg, TX, USA

Dec 202004

Tundra 6-cyl

While driving 5 mph driver's front side collapsed. Vehicle was towed to a dealer for inspection, and mechanic determined that both upper and lower ball joints snapped, and needed to be replaced.

- Winton, CA, USA

Feb 012005

Tundra 8-cyl

While driving 60 mph the ball joints failed. It came completely from under the truck. There was no warning. There was no accidents. Consumer contacted the dealer. There were no recalls.

- Norwood, MO, USA

Dec 072004

Tundra 6-cyl

While driving at 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly jerked. The consumer could not control the vehicle while crossing into oncoming traffic lanes and coming to a stop on the shoulder. The consumer noticed that the lower ball joint had separated and the tire (wheel assembly) had folded under the passenger side of the vehicle.

- Perryton, TX, USA

Nov 162004

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra with 39,000 miles on it. I was going 15-20 mph and aproaching a on ramp to the highway when my front drivers side ball joint snapped. I had my 4 month old son in the car with me. Luckily I was able to stop without getting into a accident but wonder what would have happened if we were on the highway. Toyota said I must have hit something in order for it to fail and refused to contact the NHTSA and refused to cover the expense of having it fixed. $1900.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Mar 052004

Tundra 4-cyl

While driving 25 mph without hitting anything, the front passenger tire collapsed under the vehicle without warning. The consumer had the vehicle towed to the dealership. The dealership replaced the ball joints but blamed the driver hitting something to cause them to break. Pe04040_cat

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 202002

Tundra

The vehicle was built to handle up to a 6200 lb fifth wheel unit. Consumer had a 5400 lb unit on vehicle which caused it to have a rocking motion from front to rear while driving. The dealership cannot find the cause of this problem.

- Baltic, CT, USA