Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Passat:

Jun 182019

Passat

While driving my 2013 VW Passat, the airbag light came on, on the dashboard and started beeping. When I pulled into my garage, I noticed that the horn no longer worked and none of the steering wheel functions work anymore. I have only 56,718 miles on the car and the VW dealer says it is not covered under a recall and I would have to pay out of pocket for the repair because my warranty deductible is $500. This is a safety issue and VW should be required to repair these airbag issues, not us, the consumer. This is not something we (the consumers) are causing, this is a VW quality issue.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Mar 182019

Passat

Everything on my steering wheel stopped working( buttons, horn, etc.) passenger airbag light is on as well. Does not work when the car is moving or stationary.

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Jan 122019

Passat

Clock spring is not working after takata recall implemented. No controls on steering wheel work. Horn does not work. Airbag would likely not inflate. Airbag light is on. This occured while the car was not moving.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Oct 022018

Passat

The electrical in sterring wheel is completely out. The horn and buttons are dead and the steering wheel makes a clicking noise when it turns

- Metairie, LA, USA

Sep 302018

Passat

My steering wheel started making a soft clicking noise when turning on 9/24/2018 vehicle has 68,000 miles on it. On 10/30 while the vehicle was in motion makin ga slight turn in the bend of a road on the highway, the airbag alert light came on and indicated there was an air bag error and the wheel command controls stopped working.

- Bow, WA, USA

Sep 162018

Passat

My 2013 VW Passat has 56,000 miles. I replaced at 33,000 on 12/29/2016 at a VW dealer that is no longer in business, based on their diagnostic, the clock spring and airbag harness in the steering wheel. It costed me $610. Fast forward on 09/16/2018 it turns out that I have the same problem, no controls in the wheel at all and airbag light on. The only symptom was a crunch sound in the steering wheel while turning and the airbag light came on right away. A VW dealership stated that it is unusual for a clock spring to go bad that quickly, there's some cars that don┐T need a clock spring replacement at all and mine needs a second one already at 56,000. Through a phone call Volkswagen of America stated that won┐T stay behind the problem. I strongly feel that it's a defective/malfunction part that affects my wife's and my children's safety since they are primarily using the car. Currently we┐re driving the car without any front airbag protection! please investigate this and have the ones who's fault it is fix the problem! thank you!

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 082018

Passat

Clock spring failure. Dangerous as air bag and horn do not work.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 082018

Passat

Clock spring recall - Volkswagen not honoring the recall for my VIN #. steering wheel started to click last night upon turning while driving, and now the airbag light is out. Took it into the dealership today and they said it will be a $700 repair for the clock spring. Even with the airbag light out, one of the service guys told me they have dealt with a lot of these and said it was probably safe to drive. When I asked about the recall 69L2, they said my car was not covered in the recall.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Aug 122018

Passat

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Passat. While the vehicle was in reverse, the contact heard an abnormal clicking noise coming from the steering wheel and a "driver side air bag error" message appeared. The contact called findlay Volkswagen at (702) 558-6600 (located at 983 auto show dr, henderson, nv 89014) and was informed that the vehicle was previously repaired for manufacturer recall number: 239516 and an unknown NHTSA campaign. The vehicle was not repaired again. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 012018

Passat

While driving one day I heard a snap in the steering column and the airbag symbol illuminated. The horn does not work and each time I turn the wheel I can hear a noise coming from the column. After taking to a dealer it was determined that the clock spring has failed in the vehicle and Volkswagen has refuse to replace due to placing a cover over the clock spring in January of 2016.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 082018

Passat

The clockspring was recalled and replaced in 2015. While backing out of a parking spot I heard a couple of pops and lost any steering wheel controls, ie: Volume control ect... the airbag light also illuminated. The next day I took it to Volkswagen service center where they assessed the issue and confirmed it was the clockspring and it needed to be replaced.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Nov 252017

Passat

In October 2017 I purchased a Passat tdi from armstrong Volkswagen in gladstone Oregon. I then found out about the clock spring recall. Within a month of owning the vehicle, my entire steering wheel components stopped working and the air bag light came on. While driving, my airbag light remains on, none of my steering wheel controls work, when I turn my steering wheel it almost makes a crunchy noise behind the steering wheel, and I am concerned for mine and my families safety while driving my car. I contacted the dealership and spoke with the service manager who informed me that they personally replaced the clock spring in January 2016. I asked them if they would please re-fix it, as the first fix did not work, and the clock spring was already bad again, less than 2 years later. The service manager told me that they had done what was legally required of them, and that they would not be fixing my car. I then asked to speak to the general manager, whom I left a voicemail for, to see if he could help. He has yet to call me back, two weeks later.

- Napavine, WA, USA

May 162018

Passat

I have the same issue as investigation rq 17-009. My clockspring was part of a recall with previous owner having the recall completed in 2017. Now the clockspring is broken once again. I contacted VW and they informed me the recall is closed and on me to fix or dealer I purchased the car through. This is a VW issue. I heard and felt the clock spring pop while making a hard turn a few days ago. Lost all hand controls, horn and airbag light. This is a serious safety issue with no airbag.

- Newark, DE, USA

Feb 192018

Passat

Clock spring has failed in less than a month after clock spring recall in January of 2018. Steering controls are not functional, air bag error light is on, I assume driver's side airbag is currently non functional. Turned the vehicle and heard a pop sound originating from the steering column, lost steering control, and air bag error immediately followed.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Mar 202018

Passat

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that while making a turn, the steering wheel made a clicking noise as the steering wheel seized. The air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the ray brandt Volkswagen dealer (504-349-7272, 4050 lapalco blvd, harvey, la 70058) where it was diagnosed that the air bag clock spring needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Mar 102018

Passat

Thw steering wheel air bags error

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 072018

Passat

A 2013 Volkswagen Passat, on January 7the airbag warning light came on and "error: Airbag" warning was displayed. The horn no longer works and the buttons around the steering wheel are inoperable. The vehicle was taken to VW in findlay, oh where it was diagnosed that the takaka airbag recall was in effect for this vehicle and that recalled part was replaced. However the steering wheel makes a clicking noise when it is turned, the buttons around the steering wheel are still not working and the airbag warning light and "error:airbag" warning is still on.

- Bloomdale, OH, USA

Nov 252017

Passat

Currently, I have a failing (clicking noise while turning) clock spring my 2013 Passat tdi that went in for the clockspring cover recall in 2016 and also the airbag recall in 8/2017 and has been diagnosed as a "failing clockspring" 11/24/2017, put in for goodwill repair to VW corporate and was immediately rejected and the dealer charges over $700 for replacement. Service tech said since I am a loyal customer of a heavily recalled tdi model, they could repair it for $550 (12/10/2017). This is disappointing...I am waiting for it to fail completely before I chart my next course of action.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Aug 062017

Passat

When I started turning the steering wheel a few days ago I would hear something kinda ticking like something was caught between the steering and column section. Today after I started my car and the steering wheel air bag came and has stayed on. Thus my horn and buttons to control my instrument panel no longer work.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Jul 312017

Passat

I have had 2 recalls. I live on an outer island in Hawaii. In order to get a repair I am being told I will have to ship, via ocean barge, my car to oahu.. I think if VW sells to outer islands they at least need to have an authorized service rep on that island. I am not able to afford to ship a car to oahu from kauai and back. When I purchased the car the shipping to my island was included in the price. Please advise

- Kilauea, HI, USA