2.0

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volvo S60:

Jun 262019

S60

The check engine light came on. I took it to a mom & pop mechanic that I use. They determined that the problem is that the car is burning oil. It needed 3 quarts. They researched on-line and found a 'technical journal' released by Volvo usa to it's service departments entitled 'high oil consumption'. 16 different Volvo (models and years) are listed in this journal. My car is one of them. Volvo knows there is a problem, the car is unsafe to drive and yet there has been no recall for the cars. Local and corporate Volvo denied me financial assistance with this because the car is 'too old, with too many miles'. but it is a known problem and the problem is also with newer models. So the fact that my car is older shouldn't matter. My car has the engine that has the defect. Shouldn't have to rebuild the engine with only 116,000 miles. Obviously, if they know of 16 cars that have this issue, it has happened before and without being fixed, it can't be driven. Both local and usa contacts treated my request as an isolated event, not a part of a bigger problem - about which they have knowledge. Again, this is a known defect!

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 282019

S60

Driving home going 40 mph this week the oil light came on and I was alerted to stop the car immediately. This flashed on and off twice. I thought it was a glitch as I had another 1000 miles till my next oil change. I checked the oil and it was dry. I added a quart and drove to get my oil changed. Result was when they drained it there were 2 quarts that drained out. This includes the quart I had put in. My prior oil changes I would have been down a quart after 5000 miles. This is shocking! seeing this has happened to others IżM concerned. Luckily IżM not hearing knocks and my car seems fine. I called a Volvo mechanic and he said to check the oil level every month. My concern is there was no early warning that my oil was low. If the tire looses air there are non stop warnings.

- Powell, OH, USA

Mar 282019

S60

Burning excessive oil and not giving a warning light. Driving down the highway when I heard a knock coming from the car so I stopped checked everything and noticed there was no oil on the dip stick and I just changed the oil 5 weeks ago. The engine now knocks and can barely be driven.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Dec 032018

S60

While driving on the highway to work on 12/3/18 my vehicle driver information center displayed a message of "no oil pressure - park safely". as I attempted to pull to the shoulder of the highway the engine started knocking very loudly and shutdown! the engine now has catastrophic failure, with a terrible knocking if the engine is started. It cannot be driven!

- Gonzales, TX, USA

Dec 272017

S60

Excessive oil consumption - burning or consuming at least 5 quarts of oil every 2K-3K miles, between oil changes. Our only notice is when oil is below 5-quart range, when we receive a dash warning noting to stop engine. Car holds 7.25 quarts of synthetic oil. Well know documented throughout the web and known to Volvo mechanics, although more recognized with 2011-2012 S60. Stop engine notice received when starting car. Fortunately able to uber to auto supply and add 5quarts to drive home. Occurred on two occasions, wherein the second instance we researched, reached out to Volvo mechanics and in the process of contacting dealer and Volvo for follow-up. It appears that several instances have resulted in engine failure and/or $5K or more in personal cost to fix piston/value issue or replace engine.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 132017

S60

With less than 50,000 miles on it, my S60 just completely stopped working on my way to work. While pulling out of my development, the entire engine, power steering - everything shut down. I had to coast into a turning lane to put on my flashers. I had not gone more than 3 minutes from my house. After Volvo had it for a few days they told me that the alternator belt had jumped off, hitting the alternator, fraying the belt. This then resulted in the belt wrapping around another part of the engine impacting the drive belt. This resulted in damage to the drive belt, alternator, 1/3 of my engine and my cylinder block. Volvo is blaming this on a faulty belt tensioner, yet they are making me pay for part of the repair which is a total cost of $6,000. This is clearly a defective part - either it was installed incorrectly or it was not properly built as a belt does not just "jump". I was lucky that I had not yet gotten onto the highway or I would have been injured along with other people if not worse. This is a huge safety concern and Volvo does not seem to want to admit complete failure here. This car has been serviced regularly and at the same dealership.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 222017

S60

While driving the car electronics, such as the dashboard lights, and radio started to flicker off and on repeatedly and the engine cut off. I was unable to control the steering and the car came to a complete stop. I waited a few min and was able to start back the car and drive it. This incident has happened 2 times in a 6 month period. The car was recently serviced at around 38,000 miles at the Volvo dealership. The issue started to occur about a month after the car was serviced.

- Freeport, NY, USA