7.0

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volvo S60:

Feb 282019

S60 Platinum

I Purchased a 2013 Volvo S 60 in 2015 it had about 50,000 miles on it. I always got my oil changed every 5000 miles. I didn’t have any problems with it until it was about hitting the 70,000 mile range. The check engine light came on and it said to pull the car to the side of the road and get assistance immediately.

I checked it oil there was none left I had gone 4000 miles since my last oil change I didn’t know what happened I’ve never heard this of this problem before. I had my oil changed again and started checking it every month after. The car started to use quart of oil every 500 miles. I took it to a mechanic that works with Volvo’s they drained the oil tank replaced the PCV valve told me to come back in 3000 miles to check the oil again. I was checking the oil throughout this time and noticed it was still burning oil it had gone completely empty at 2000 miles.

This is a known problem for the 2012 S60’s and I believe my engine must’ve come from that bunch is well. I talked to the mechanic again and he said best thing to do is always keep a quarter oil in the car.

- sheila8sn, Powell, US

Sep 102018

S60 T5

• CVT transmission

2013 S60 T5 AWD experiencing excessive oil consumption - burning or consuming at least 5 quarts of oil every 2K-3K miles, between oil changes. I have had no "LOW" warnings before I get to the NO LOW OIL PRESSURE INDICATOR!! And the NO OIL PRESSURE light doesn't even stay on - it flashes a couple of times stating NO OIL PRESSURE - STOP SAFELY. Then, the warning goes away! Because I still call the dealership and take the message seriously, I know that the oil is being consumed excessively (no dripping / leaking onto ground).

This has now happened on THREE occasions - - 80K service completed on 9/10/2018 with 80,494 miles - on 10/22/2018, the first instance of this issue took place 2 hours away from home at 82,614 miles and a loud squeak - I added 2 quarts at gas station, drove to dealership per advice of I paid to have the oil trap replaced :( - on 1/8/2019, the second instance of this issue took place at 86,060 miles. Do not recall how many quarts of oil were added. - on 4/1/2019, the third instance of this issue took place at 89,140 miles. Volvo had to add FIVE quarts of oil yesterday!

I have owned this car since October 2013 and have exclusively had it serviced by Volvo. I am aware that this was a known issue on the 2011-2012 S60 that had a recall - wondering if this issue is also on the 2013. It appears that several instances that led to the 2011-2012 recall had resulted in engine failure and/or $5K or more in personal cost to fix piston/value issue or replace engine.

I was topped off yesterday and left the Volvo service center with the same car. I am concerned as there is no low oil pressure light to warn me before this sudden intermittent flicker of a "no oil pressure".....is it safe to drive anymore? Is this destroying the engine? I feel like THREE occurrences is way too many....

- Angela B., Edgewood, US