4.2

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Acura TLX:

Sep 202019

TLX

My car stalled while driving on the interstate at 75mph. It happened in may, July, and September 2019. While driving the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate. The tachometer registering the rpms dropped to 1,000 and stayed there. After pulling over, shutting the car off, waiting, and restarting the car, the vehicle proceeded to operate as normal. Many of the warning lights appeared during this incident. Finally, in September, my car was undriveable and had to be towed to the dealership. The determination was that the car needed a new engine. I'm still awaiting for the repairs to be completed at this time (November 13, 2019).

- New Castle, IN, USA

Sep 022019

TLX

Again, while driving approximately 75 mph on interstate all error codes on dashboard (mil) lit up and the car began to feel as if the transmission was not engaged as if I was in neutral and the engine began loosing power. The speed began decreasing, but then would catch for a few seconds. The gear indicated that it was in drive. I pulled off the interstate & parked. I waited a few minutes & restarted and tried to re-engage in drive to see if it reset itself as it has done in the past just 7 weeks prior, however it just revved up. I called road side assistance and had it towed to nearest dealer an hour away as again the mechanical break down occurred while I was traveling in between cities. The next morning, the dealer was able to retrieve the error codes and said that the transmission needed another software update to repair the issue, the computer was reset. While driving home the transmission became jumpy again around 3rd gear. I contacted my local dealership and made them aware of my safety concerns for the car as again, my entire family (husband, kids and dogs) were in the car and felt as if this could have resulted in horrible accident had I not safely navigated off of the interstate while at such a high speed with heavy holiday traffic. This error has displayed for times and each time there was a different solution to the problem besides having 2 transmission updates, bad battery cell and replaced push button gear assembly. I have documented all incidents and reported to dealership as well as Acura corporate. I currently have appointment for next week so that their service adviser can try and replicate this intermittent problem to determine what the error is. I've made them aware that this is a dangerous mechanical issue that not only puts me and my passengers in danger but possibly other cars, but was assured I do not need a rental until it can be seen again.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Nov 212018

TLX

While traveling 75 mph on interstate multiple / all warning lights suddenly illuminated on dash board and the car placed itself into neutral from drive position. Upon coming to rest car was placed into park along shoulder and when drive was selected it would not engage. Vehicle was turned off and allowed to sit for several minutes before restarting again. Again it would not allow to go into drive. Tow truck was dispatched and after about 30 minutes car was able to shift into drive. Vehicle was then driven about 1/8 mile along shoulder to visible rear stop entrance. We waited for tow to truck to arrive. Car was restarted and would not engage into drive or neutral when attempting to load onto tow truck. After several attempts neutral and drive eventually engaged. Car was taken to nearest dealer just before close before major holiday. Recieved call from dealer stating that the cause of all this was dead battery. Unknown to them battery was replaced Y months prior. Also I have dts report showing multiple malfunctions and errors. I feel that if all this can happen by having a dead battery (that somehow allows you to restart your car multiple times after initial malfunction) this is a huge safety concern. I called dealership back and asked them to double check diagnosis and also check alternator being that the battery is only 6 months old.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Mar 262018

TLX

The contact owns a 2016 Acura Tlx. The contact stated that the transmission warning indicator illuminated and there was a loss of power. The vehicle shifted independently into neutral while on an incline and rolled in reverse towards oncoming traffic. The contact applied the hazard lights, and turned the vehicle off and back on. The contact then parked the vehicle in a parking area. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers: Acura of lynnwood (21515 wa-99, lynnwood, wa 98036, (425) 775-2925) and Acura of bellevue (13424 ne 20th St, bellevue, wa 98005, (425) 644-3000) for diagnostic testing, but the results were unknown. The manufacturer issued 79 tsbs on the power train; however, the vehicle was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 16V640000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,500.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Mar 132018

TLX

Transmission function sensor failure warning and blind spot sensor failure warning appeared on dash while I was driving on a city street. Car went immediately into neutral while I was driving. If I took my foot off the brake it would roll backwards into oncoming traffic and cars driving behind me.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Jan 272017

TLX

While driving 30 miles per hour on a city street, I noticed the car started was shifting hard. Two minutes later, the warning lights appeared "check vsa system", "check precision all wheel steer system", and "check transmission" and the car would not accelerate. This happened at 16,721 miles. The diagnosis was crumbs in the gear panel. Acura showed no record of me bringing my car in for the service.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 062017

TLX

Driving at highway speed, cruise control on. Tried to accelerate, using pedal, to pass. No response from vehicle. Driver info cluster was flashing "N" for neutral. Multiple error messages " check transmission", "check emissions systems", "check parking brake system". confirmed engine was still on, @ idle speed. Pressed "D" to re-engage drive. Transmission would not engage. Forced to coast to side of road in traffic with no ability to accelerate or keep speed. Once under 5 mph trans made clicking sound and eventually engaged "park" abruptly. Made more unsuccessful attempts to engage "drive". got out checked vehicle for any obvious mechanical failures. Got back in car turned off and back on. Error messages remained but was able to get the trans to engage drive. Drove vehicle to safer place off the interstate. Called Acura road side service. While waiting for service I turned car off and restarted. Car came back up "normal". finished mission. Acura dealer at destination found no problems or stored codes.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Feb 112016

TLX

1. when accelerating from a stop, the transmission occasionally feels like it slips into neutral. The engine res but does not move forward for 1-2 seconds. 2. car downshifts into 1st gear and lurches forward after coming to a stop. 3. transmission shifts very abruptly and rough during almost all accelerations.

- St. James, NY, USA