9.8

$1,390

Most common solutions:

2. replace steering gear (3 reports)
  3. replace steering rack, module (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Jun 262019

Colorado LT 3.6L V6

While driving at 45 miles per hour on a straight section of road the power steering quite working. Lights on the dash were "service power steering" and "service stabilitrack". Continued to drive approximately 10 miles to destination, turn engine OFF and restarted. Problem and dash lights disappeared.

- Larry T., Eatonton, GA, US

Jun 232019

Colorado LT 3.6L V6

While driving at 45 miles per hour on a straight section of road the power steering quite working. Lights on the dash were "service power steering" and "service stabilitrack". Continued to drive approximately 5 miles to destination, turn engine OFF and restarted. Problem and dash lights disappeared.

- Larry T., Eatonton, GA, US

May 152019

Colorado ZL1 4WD 3.6L V6

Loss of Power Steering is NO JOKE! Lost power steering (plus ABS, Stablitrak) traveling down the highway. I thought I'd crash when I realized it didn't steer like my old '69 with manual steering. If I didn't have the arm strength to limp to where I was going, I would have been calling for roadside assistance. I can't imagine what might have happened if the failure occurred while I was in a turn. It's sad that someone will probably lose their life over this before GM steps up to the plate. How is this not a recall? I've owned GM's since 1986. This WILL be my last!!

Update from May 29, 2019: My dealer reported back to me and said the code set was a "loss of communication with steering module" or something similar. GM recommended they replace the steering gear. They did the repair in a timely manner. Sadly though, it cost me $2200 parts, labor and alignment. So far, the problem has not returned, although this is the first day driving my truck. I have opened a case with GM for some "assistance." I'm not feeling very confident they'll do the right thing.

- Steve P., Fleming Island, US

Apr 232019

Colorado LTZ 3.2L V6

Was driving home from work on a rural road in Jamestown Kentucky. I only have 67K miles on my truck and two different codes came up on my dash, StabliTrak and Traction, then Power Steering failure drive with safety. After having to drive 2.5 miles in order to pull off the road, turned off vehicle and restarted. No codes. Had power steering back. Drove 4 miles home no problem Tried to restart vehicle 4 time to see if issue occurred again. Nothing. Drive 4 miles from home to work next morning and same issue occurred and had to drive 3 miles without power steering with my blinkers on until I could pull off the road. Turned off vehicle. Restarted and drove 6 miles to work no issues.

Took truck to local Chevy dealer and they are saying its the power steering pump failed at 67 k miles and in order to replace the entire unit, which includes the steering rack, module etc will have to be replaced at the cost of $1800.00; parts, labor and taxes. Really GMC/Chevy. Only 67k miles and this happens to my truck. I expected more out of your brand. Not part of the Power Train Warranty. Seriously!!!! Seems that this issue occurs a lot to other 2015 Chevy Colorado's. Might rethink about a recall for this.

I love my truck but having to fix several issues in 2 years that were not under warranty, not a good sign.

- Lisa R., Jamestown, KY, US

Jan 212019

Colorado

Started my 2015 Colorado last night Jan 21, 2019 and the dash showed power steering loss. Could not use my truck, steering did not work. Next morning everything was ok. There should be something we could do about this. My vin is not on the recall list and I only have 26,000 miles on my truck. General Motors should be taking care of this problem.

- Steve M., Glenshaw, US

Mar 162018

Colorado LT V6

On 22 Mar 18, while driving my Colorado LT at 30mph, a warning light came on, with the message: “Service Power Steering (PS), Drive with Care”. I cleared the message and another message came on: “Service StabiliTrak”. I went to work, using a lot of Power Muscle. Parked it and 3 hours later, steering was normal.

On 23 Mar 18, on the way to the dealer the truck had no problem with the Power Steering.(O’Reilly Chevrolet in Tucson, AZ) and explained them the situation. The dealer test drove the vehicle and had no loss of PS. They scanned the vehicle through the DTCS and found DTC U0420/42, stating the torque sensor not properly learned. They performed PSCM Setup and cleared the DTCS. In the words of the service person, they had to reboot the computer. Afterwards, they drove the vehicle and had no malfunctions, all to the tune of $153.24.

On the way home, I had no problems, to include the weekend. In the days of 26 to 29 Mar18, I had several instances in which the “Service Power Steering (PS), Drive with Care” and “Service StabiliTrak” came on with the subsequent loss of PS. On 27 Mar 18, I received two emails from OnStar stating the following: “An issue with the StabiliTrak® stability control system in your 2015 Chevrolet Colorado has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days” and “An issue with the Antilock Braking System in your 2015 Chevrolet Colorado has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days”.

I took it back to the dealer with copies of the above related messages and he stated this would allow to better pinpoint the problem with the vehicle. The service manager called me later that day sating that the warranty has expired 2 months ago and that I would be responsible for the repairs. He said that the steering column had to be replaced and it would cost around $1,800, but after consultation with the factory, they were willing to cover about half the cost and I would be responsible for about $650. He said that they would have to order the part – back order and no idea when the part would arrive. I decided to pick my truck and drive carefully.

- Antonio L., Tucson, AZ, US

Oct 062017

Colorado V6

While on the interstate driving 70 mph with many cars& trucks around. My power steering went out, no warning until it won't work. I finally got off the road and shut it off. After several minutes, I start again and it works. But it's very dangerous, and should be fixed. This has happened several times. But in bumper to bumper traffic running 70 mph is very dangerous. And my truck just turned over 40,000.

- Merritt T., Chenoa, US

Feb 282016

Colorado Z71 V6

I took an outside sales position last year and my truck has a lot of miles on it now. About 2 weeks ago I was driving about 20 miles an hour and the power steering went out. It totally freaked me out and it was very hard to steer. I pulled over and turned the truck off and restarted after about 5 minutes. It was working properly afterward. Two weeks later while driving kids to school it did the same thing. I called GM dealership which told me there was a recall on the truck for the power steering. I called them 2 days later to set the appointment and was told it was a limited time recall? Which according to them is only a recall that covers this problem with the standard warranty of 36,000 mi or 3 years. This sounds like a warranty not a recall. Anyways, they want me to bring it in and pay them for this faulty power steering that is a "Limited time offer recall" whatever that means.

- Kelli N., Ontario, CA, US

Jan 152015

Colorado LT V6

It was very Scary. Went to A&W to eat after son hockey game. After eating came out to go home. Got in truck it lost steering as I went out to main street. Scared the hell out of me took allot of strength to turn in wide turns. I drove it to the dealer it was a Sunday they were closed. Shut the thing off for a while, waiting for my bother to give me a ride home. Then I started it because it was super cold. It then worked. I took it in they fixed it. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

- rhinomn, Centerville, MN, US

Nov 092015

Colorado Z71 V6

Complete loss of power steering while driving. When I brought it to dealer, they stated this is a new recall and I should have a notice soon......they replaced the entire gear/power steering assembly....about a $3k recall job. Other than this I still really like my truck!

- flywildbranch, Ennismore, ON, Canada

Jun 162015

Colorado Z71 V6

Power steering failed twice. First time Bill Stasek Chevy said there was no problem. Second time it failed I brought it back to same dealer and called Jerry Hagerty Chevy to be told it has been happening to multiple Colorados and the steering gear needs to be replaced. Power steering went out while I was driving.

- Jered W., Buffalo Grove Il, IL, US

Aug 202015

Colorado Z71 V6

Driving into work this AM suddenly lost my power steering. Lights on the dash and message indicating service power steering, Drive Carefully. After pulling over.. stopped and restarted engine and was back to normal. Not a good situation.. could steer but very hard to turn.. serious safety issue for sure.

- Michael S., Fremont, NH, US