7.3

$330

Most common solutions:

2. flush trasmission and replace transmission fluid (11 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (9 reports)
  4. transmission flush (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Oct 072019

Colorado Z71 V6

I have a new 2018 Chevy Colorado v.6 crew cab z71 with only 6595 miles on it and it picked up a shudder running down smooth pavement at highway speeds. I was showing my girlfriend who said it feels like running down rumble strips on the shoulder. I called dealership in Pooler Georgia and the service manager was not available. The lady seemed like she never heard of the issue. Funny, I found it right away online and it sounds like it's been an issue since 2015.

Well, I just got off the phone with the service manager and he advised me that because of what I described that my truck will have the fluid changed out next Tuesday. When I asked why it had not been corrected by GM, he said it had. My truck was made in 2017 before the fix and he said in 99% of the trucks that the flush fixes it. My luck has never been that good - when someone tells me 99%, I am the guy that is the other 1%. So I guess until next Tuesday, I have the Chevy shakes as they call them. A lot of posts say the flush does not work - I guess we shall see.

Sep 242018

Colorado Z71 3.6L V6

Long story short, I purchased a 2018 Colorado Z71 with the 3.6 V6 engine. Love the truck, and everything is great except for this transmission issue. Back in late 2018 I noticed the shudder issue so I took it to my local dealership. They knew about it, and they said they were aware of the problem and will order parts. Truck only had about 9100 miles. Parts came in and about 3 days later, I got my truck back.

All was great until last week where I noticed the shudder issue coming back. I have also noticed now 3 times that when I start it, the transmission acts like it jumped in gear and made a bang noise. The truck just turned 17K miles. I'm really disappointed with Chevrolet. First brand new vehicle I purchased in my life. All my other trucks have been used and all of them have been S10 and never have I had any issues with them. Took it to the dealership on Saturday and I will be calling them on Monday to setup an appointment this week.

- The K., Middleburg, FL, US

Jan 072019

Colorado Z71 V6

This truck sucks. The transmission rumbled. IF THEY KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM, WHY SELL THE CAR?!!!! The inside froze up over the winter. The transmission rumbled. The breaks started squeaking!!! I traded it in after only 3500 miles. Ridiculous. Chevy did nothing to help at all.

- Dan M., Stow, OH, US

Jun 012019

Colorado LT EXT CAB 3.6L Dohc V6

Transmission shakes and bakes as it transits through the gears. Sometimes, the shake is very hard and sometimes not. Usually happens when accelerating to a high speed.

I'm not a drag racer and don't run and gun motors. I drive reasonably.

- power_cord64jm, Cape Coral, US

Oct 282019

Colorado LT 3.2L

The infamous COLORADO SHUDDER!!!

Started when vehicle was less than a year old... I brought it in around 40,000 and was told it needed a transmission fluid exchange and ref bulletin # 18-NA-355. I've since had it in 2 more times (at least) and have been told nothing is wrong with it... and just the other day a different dealer replaced the fluid again with new & improved fluid and low and behold about 50 miles later its doing it again! The Colorado shudder is back! This is getting very old and worrisome. I would be interested in a class-action if there is one out there. Chevy/GM knows its happening... I'll never buy another Chevy/GM product!

- Geri P., Orwell, VT, US

May 062021

Colorado WT V6 3.6L

This vehicle has been babied and not hardly worked at all. I had the transmission flushed as recommended and the shop owner said the transmission had an excessive amount of metal shavings in it. I have an extended warranty on the vehicle through 100,000 miles, but the issuing company denied the claim and said it was just a flush and is not covered. I don't even know if the vehicle is now fixed as I have to drive it a few hundred miles to see. If it does the shuddering again, I have to have it flushed again at my expense. This is where I will decide if I keep it or not.

Update from Nov 3, 2021: Had transmission flushed. They noticed abnormal amount of metal filings. These were said to be mostly due to too close tolerances, so parts had some interference. So far the problem has been alleviated but I am out the repair bill.

- Vernon M., Bedford, US

Sep 032019

Colorado LT 6-3

I see several similar posts regarding the transmission shudder. My dealership was accommodating but like several others, I still have concerns. I love this vehicle and have invested in many after market options. I am also over 75 and expected this to be my forever vehicle but I have concerns for its future. I purchased it used with 13,000 miles and the issue wasn't confirmed till 29,000 miles when the trans was flushed. That fixed the shudder but I have several other different concerns. When I slow to stop for a red light that turns green when I get there, and accelerate, occasionally I get nothing and then a lurch. I also had it clunk when I start it unexplainably several times. I regularly feel a throbbing similar to a bulged tire that is not always on the same road but its very subtle and unless you are listening for it, its not obvious. It will do the ripples on a cup of coffee in the cup holder.

ALSO, I'm wondering when others had their trans flush, if the trans fluid info screen reset the mileage. When they flushed mine, the mileage remained the same. First I was told they would reset it and then they said they don't do it??? SO... now of course I am wondering if it had been done once or more already when I purchased it. How did your dealership handle this?

We drive from Michigan to FL each year and while my dealership is understanding, I don't want to be stuck in the mountains or in a strange town with no reservations at a dealership that may be not as accommodating...

- Pat H., JACKSON, MI, US

Sep 302019

Colorado Z71 V6

Took my truck in to service concerned about the vibration. They did a 4 wheel alignment and tire balance, and wanted to do a transmission flush. Told them I would come back for the flush because I had to go to work. I have it scheduled for Monday 21st October. So at home I started the web search on 2018 Colorado vibrations. Much to my surprise there is a long list of others with the same problem. The more I read about it and thought about it I got a little annoyed about the situation. If Chevy knew about the problem, why didn't they fix it before I bought the truck. Now I have to take time off of work again to flush the transmission and who knows how long that will last? I'm very disappointed and thinking I should have waited for the new Rangers to come out.

- soup0916, Bonaire, US

Jul 022019

Colorado Z71 3.6L V6

First time I took it to dealership tech reproduced the problem and flushed the fluids and replaced it with new Transmission fluid. I was fine about a month and problem was back again. Now I also experience hard shift at very low speeds.

I took it back and truck stayed at the dealership for whole month and they came back saying they cannot reproduce the issue. GM needs to do a recall on this truck. Everywhere I read says their quality control is not good anymore.

- Mert C., Austin, US

Sep 032019

Colorado LT 3.6L

I'm having same problem as others - a shimmy on slight acceleration from 30 to 70 mph. I'm going to report this problem as soon as I can get to dealer.

- Leon B., Sapulpa, OK, US

Oct 072019

Colorado Z71 V6

As much as this truck cost, dealer says 99% of the time fluid flush will correct the issue. My problem is whenever in life I have been told that I was the one they made the 1% for, no joke. I have an appointment next Tuesday the 29th at Pooler Chevy where I bought it. I let start the game - I bought the ten year warranty, so they will get tired of seeing me, I'm sure.

Aug 012021

Colorado LX 3.2L V6

If this is a known problem with this model, why does anyone have to pay $632.00 as a possible solution.

- Burnie R., Lafayette, US

Oct 102019

Colorado Z71 V6

Well, let’s see. I was sold a truck with the dealership knowing the a8 tranny has had issues. The service dept knew and so did management - they had to. They were getting the how-to-repair memos since 2015. There was no warning about the issue before purchasing my 2018 truck and from what I have read online, there’s no permanent fix. They’re still trying to figure it out. So I had to lose a day's work of overtime taking the truck in.

It’s unsafe to drive in my opinion. I almost wrecked twice. I arrived there at 730 am, asked for a vehicle to get around in, then asked how long. The man said 2.5 hours. I said okay, I can wait well and 4.5 hours later, they call saying that I’m ready to go. They flushed the tranny per work order from GM. For this is the first step and cheapest to fix. Now I'm wet from walking in the rain, hungry and ready to just go get my truck back. Well, it has not been detailed or vacuumed out. I can't complain too much about that but knowing a new truck with only 7 k miles on it almost got in a wreck twice is very dangerous to drive and I was feeling unsafe driving it.

I was told they have the autos in there all the time for the same fix. Mine was the first of four for the same issue for that day I took it in. So the only reason I gave such a high score is because I truly don’t think the young lady who sold me the truck had a clue about this issue. I'm scared if what I read is true and this is only a short time repair band-aid. I got lucky the first two times when I almost wrecked because I did not have any vehicles around me when I crossed the center lane from this issue.

GM really disappointed me on this new auto. It's like when I drive, when is it going to come back, how many miles and where will I be when will it get in in a wreck.

PS The flush has been done - we’ll see how long this band-aid holds.

Jan 032020

Colorado ZR2 V6

I just bought the truck today and was driving it home (a 1 1/2 hour trip) and that's when I noticed it. Feels like you're driving on the rumble strip off the road. It's actually undrivable, it's so annoying. Drove it right to the dealer on my way home. Have appointment for next Thursday. I'm really depressed and annoyed.

- Jody J., Hinesburg, US

Oct 112019

Colorado LT 6-3

I've had the second transmission flush, and it does not shudder as bad. However, I've driven it over 200 miles & don't think the problem is entirely fixed. My dealership has been helpful and understanding and reassures me I have warranty coverage. I am 77 years old and will be driving from MI to FL next month (with a lot to get done before I leave) and am trying to decide if it will be beneficial to take the truck back to the dealership and add shuffling cars to my to-do list, or if I will be comfortable driving it that distance and away from my local dealership. Any thoughts?

- Pat H., JACKSON, MI, US

Jun 012019

Colorado Z71 3.6L V6

Didn't know what the problem was at first. It felt like the transmission was having trouble shifting under normal conditions. I took the truck in for an oil change and complained about it. The service department clerk did not say anything about a problem with the Colorado in reference to the transmission and they quietly flushed the transmission and gave the vehicle back.

Later on I spoke with a friend who is a Corvette fan and a Silverado owner and he told me it was a bad torque converter. He said it was prevalent in the Colorados and Canyons. Well, the flush seemed to have worked, but a few months later the problem started again. I took the vehicle back and complained and the mechanic drove my vehicle and said there was no problem. I drove home and noticed a difference, the shifting had improved. I believe they made some adjustment and did not note it on my paperwork.

Now a few weeks later the problem is starting again, with an addition. When I pull into a parking space and shift to park, the transmission shifts up and the vehicle lurches forward. Thankfully the brakes hold. I am so disappointed in Chevy/GM. I bought this truck as my retirement present. I am a Chevy person and also own a 2011 Camaro, which I love. I am glad I kept the Camaro as I believe I will need dependable transportation in the near future. I purchased an extended warranty when when I bought my Z71 but I bought it for my piece of mind and not to protect me from shoddy workmanship. GM has been aware of this problem since 2015 - COME ON, 5 YEARS!

- Deanna S., Ocala, US

Jul 102020

Colorado ZR2 3.6L V6

I bought my ZR2 in December of 2018. Never have I bought a new vehicle of my own, always used. This truck is my baby! The truck was bought with a starting mileage of 225mi due to dealership transfer. About 3 days after buying it I noticed the lurch or jerk during stop and go actions. Immediately I expressed my concerns about a potential transmission issue to my father and we both decided it was potentially just due to it being a brand new vehicle. Occasionally once in a blue moon in the next year, I would feel the shudder or rumble strip feeling and chalked it up to potentially rough roads or tires losing grip.

Now here we are. Within the start of this year, the shudder has gotten worse and more consistent. It will happen during any acceleration periods or in 5sec or more intervals at speeds between 25-80mph. I took the truck to firestone for a potential balancing issue which turned into them telling me it is something with the transmission or torque converter. During my drive today it has gotten even worse with a jerking feeling while on cruise control to maintain speed as if it is having a hard time getting into gear and staying there.The dealership service department opens up on Monday so I will keep everyone up to date on this process. I am less than 20,000 miles away from the end of my powertrain warranty.

For all knowledge, I did my research and have all my ducks in a row which I would like to share. The 2015-2017 models were equipped with the transmission model number 6L50. There is an ongoing lawsuit in California on this defective transmission, all reporting the same issues that I have read on this forum. With some easy digging Colorado 2018-2020 are as well equipped with these transmissions.

Due to how late I am coming into this issue realization I don't believe a simple transmission fluid replacement will be a fix.

- owensc, Ocala, US

Sep 172019

Colorado Z71 3.6L V6

I bought this 2018 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4x4 crew cab long bed 3.6L V6 with 6,500 miles on the odometer in February of 2019 and began to experience the transmission shudder/vibration a few months later in the summer time. This issues slowly gets worse the more miles you put on. This was covered under warranty by the dealership by flushing the transmission fluid and replacing the transmission filter. After the repair, the issue was resolved the truck is approaching 25,000 miles with no transmission complaints.

- Chadd R., Lafayette, IN, US

Aug 152020

Colorado LX V6

I experienced a shutter in the Transmission similar to running over a rumble strip as some others have described in other complaints. I brought the Truck into the Dealer who told me they have a fix.

The Dealer changed the fluid in the transmission and sure enough, it did fix the Transmission rumble effect I had experienced. It even shifted better than it had before. I drove it about 1000 miles or so and guess what? It did it again... but not so often. Most at higher speeds around 50-60 MPH. I don't know whether to take it back to the dealer and ask them to.... what?! Change the fluid again? Same results? What do you do at this point?

So far it is still driving and shifting and only does the rumble thing every now and then. I am concerned that after the warranty runs out, it is on me for repair. It is more of a nuisance than anything else at the moment. Come on GM help us out.

- Roy H., Crowley, US

Jan 212020

Colorado V6

Shudders at between 25-70 miles an hour during acceleration only. Was very faint but getting worse over time. I did get an engine light- not sure if it is associated or not. Going to the dealer in a couple of days. Will update condition.

Update from May 16, 2020: Dealership changed the transmission fluid. 2000 miles later- still good.

- Dan M., Waianae, US