Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

Apr 222019

Equinox

Leak in rear main oil seal. Expensive repair due to labor. Same problem shown online with this make, model, and year. Casts doubts on quality of american automobile manufacturers. GM should issue recall.

- Galesburg, IL, USA

Feb 162019

Equinox

I have had my SUV worked on 6 different times due stalling, loosing power, cutting out, and not wanting to accelerate. They replaced the throttle body updated the computer replaced air filter, etc. Worked for 2 weeks and now is still having this problem.

- Elkland, MO, USA

Oct 012018

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 20 mph, the engine stalled. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 122,000.

- Moscow, TN, USA

Apr 112019

Equinox

Failure timing chain tensioner and chain guides at 60K miles, replaced timing chain, balance chain, guides and tensioner and excessive oil consumption

- Medina, OH, USA

Jan 172018

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle consumed too much oil. The vehicle depleted a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Also, without warning, the vehicle would decelerate and lose power. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Edwardsville, KS, USA

Apr 012019

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving various speeds, the contact heard a loud abnormal knocking noise under the hood of the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. John North Ford, Inc. (3002 us-50, emporia, ks 66801, (620) 343-1700) diagnosed that the vehicle was burning oil too fast. The dealer added oil to the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Emporia, KS, USA

Jun 152017

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that there was excessive oil consumption and the oil level warning indicator failed to illuminate. The contact stated that there were no leaks or other evidence of an oil leak. The contact also stated that there was no smoke coming from the tailpipe. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sage, AR, USA

Jan 012019

• 1,650,000 miles
When the can starts it sounds like a diesel.some thimes the enison will turn over and over and I have to turn it off the try to start it than it will start.the car will die in the midel of the highway. Some thime I have to pump the gas to get it going like it just ran out of fule.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Apr 072019

Equinox

My car is consuming huge amounts of oil before it is time for an oil change. I am putting oil in this car at least once a week. I let Chevy know of this issue but they said that there has not been a recall for this problem. I only drive to school and work which is only a 15 mile round trip. This is ridiculous!!

- Ramsey, MN, USA

Mar 112019

Equinox

Excessive oil consumption with less than 1000 miles on this oil change I heard ticking noise from under the hood so I checked the oil to find that there was none on the dip stick, I added 3.5 quarts. Whats so bother some for me is that there was no warning light. There was a recall on these SUV's for that vary problem but it expires at 120000 miles or 7.5 years which ever comes first all other recalls are 120000 miles or 10 years except this one, what would have happened if I was on a long trip with the family ran completely out of oil, car dies on expressway without any warning then what.I did take it to the dealer & service was the one that told me about the 7.5 years. This car had a comprehensive carfax report with dealer maintenance being done since the car was new. No mention of the excessive oil consumption. That was the reason that I purchased

- St John, IN, USA

Mar 242019

Equinox

On March 24 my check engine light came and the vehicle died several times and I took it to the mechanic. He called the next day and said the oil was completely gone and the engine was ruined. I have changed the oil every 3-4000 miles religiously and now this? I was told it would cost $6000 to replace the motor.

- Story City, IA, USA

Mar 202019

Equinox

My 2011 Chevy Equinox was not picking up speed, and would shut off when I stopped for more than 30 seconds. The engine also sounded very loud when in park. I had a diagnostic done at the dealership and it was determined that the timing chain needed to be replaced. My car had been in the shop two months prior for replacement of the camshaft position sensor. My car currently has 102,000 miles. The dealership said that metal shavings were also found in my oil. I tried driving my car after the diagnostic and the "reduced engine power" indicator came on, causing me to have to pull over on the highway and be towed. I contacted GM regarding a recall and was informed that the particular model of my vehicle was not included in the recall and since my warranty had expired there was nothing they could do. I have read reports of my 2011 Equinox owners who have had similar issues.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Mar 012019

Equinox

My vehicle has 63,000 miles and when I press the gas peddle and get no response at all. This mostly happens when the vehicle is cold, but it has happened other times as well. I was told to change the intake and exhaust camshafts solenoids, but this did not help. I changed the exhaust manifold, still did not help.

- Fairfield, NJ, USA

Apr 152017

Takata inflators

- Ona, FL, USA

Jan 012019

Equinox

Oil consumption issue, car uses so much oil in between oil changes and doesn┐T alert you when it's low.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Mar 202018

Equinox

Excessive engine oil consumption, engine makes noise, need to change oil every 2000 miles, need to check oil level every week. Not safe to drive.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 092019

Equinox

My vehicle randomly dies while driving. At 94500 ck engine light came on. Had one solenoid replaced and changed the oil. A week later the engine stalled a few times in a parking lot. No check engine light was on. Replaced a 2nd solenoid. 3/5/19, a week little over a week it stalled 5 times in a parking lot. Pd again to have mechanic scan it nothing showed up. 3/7/19 changed the spark plugs. 3/9/19 drove to milwaukee. Got there check engine light came on, stabil trek light & engine power reduced notification. An hour later seemed fine. On the way home all the same lights came on in rolling traffic had to pull off bc it died a couple of times. Let it sit a bit then started home again. After about 5 miles going 60mph on the interstate in a snow/rain storm the vehicle died, while driving it. I barely got it to the shoulder of the interstate. A state trooper had to sit behind for safety. Bc of the storm the tow truck was 90 minutes out. This was a life threatening situation. I could have been hit & killed.hauled to a mechanic 50 miles away. Code reader (attached) showed 5 errors but couldn't find anything wrong that caused the problem. Took it to a certified GM dealership. The mechanic couldn't replicate the issue so doesn't know what it wrong. Had the timing chain replaced but mechanic didn't think that was the issue. I am afraid to drive it because it could randomly die again in heavier traffic on the interstate and to me is life threatening. There are so so many people commenting online with the same problem that this vehicle should be recalled before people do die if it hasn't happened already. I have only owned this vehicle 5 months and have had it to the mechanic at least 5 times. I don't want to unload this death trap on someone else but I am afraid to drive it for fear of losing my life or someone else's.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 072019

Equinox

I have experienced over excessive use of oil, on both street and highway driving, while in motion, my car started to choke itself out when I would stop at a stop sign/light. Over the past 3 years of owning this Chevy 2011 Equinox, I have had excessive oil usage. The oil usage was so extensive that I was having to put a quart of oil every 500 miles or less.......all of this excessive oil burning has to exhaust somewhere, I reached out to my local mechanic shop and asked them to see what they could find out for me, and they returned with a oil consumption test paper to fill out. I had been doing this oil consumption test when my exhaust started to clog causing my rear engine seal to blow, and leak every bit of oil out of my motor, all of this resulted from the excessive oil consumption over the past years, causing my Cadillac converter to become clogged, therefore, causing the pressure of the emissions, that was not able to be exhausted out, to cause my rear engine seal to blow. My vehicle had to be towed to a shop. These problems have occured while the vehicle was in motion until my rear engine seal busted, causing my vehicle to be unmovable without assistance from a tow truck.

- Tell City, IN, USA

Feb 252019

Equinox

I got a check engine light and I went to get it tested and it says that it is a exhaust position timing issue. No mechanic can fix it because it was a design issue by the manufacturer. I noticed that the car has been jerking around when I drive, it won't back up and it backfires and I'm terrified of driving it.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 012018

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to balise Chevrolet Buick GMC (located at 440 hall of fame ave, springfield, MA 01105, (413) 233-4668) where it was diagnosed that there was a loss of engine oil and a stretched timing change. The contact was informed that there was a protocol to have the engine oil checked every 1,000 miles to see if there was excessive oil consumption. The contact was informed that the oil consumption was in the manufacturer's perimeter for oil usage. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was offered an extended warranty coverage of 120,000 miles. The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Springfield, MA, USA