Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

Feb 182019

Equinox

Windshield wipers stopped working while driving. Check engine light comes on while driving and oil runs out well before recommend oil change and no low oil warning lights come on. Car burns a lot of oil and makes a loud noise from engine but told that this is normal for this brand.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 092019

Equinox

The car has began using ridiculous amounts of oil, I have to put a quart of oil in every couple of weeks, the other issue is the transmission has started having issues it literally just passed the 100K mileage mark and this started, as if it was timed by the warranty, I see tons of people with this issue

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 022019

Equinox

On 2.2.2019 around 11am I left work restoration hardware outlet 301 w main St, christiana, de 19702 and drove across the street to get lunch at acme 1 university plaza, newark, de 19702. It was 28* out and we had a few days of below 32*. as I was leaving the acme parking lot all the lights came on in the dash. I immediatley stopped and shut off car. Across the street was an exxon station on 300 chapman rd, newark, de 19713. The service person said I was leaking oil. He put in a quart then another it came right back out and said it could be a rear main seal. I did some research and found a special coverage adjustment ¿that stated---- plugged PCV orifice in intake manifold for the 2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox   equipped with 2.4L ecotec engine (laf, lea or luk) 2.4L engine (laf, lea or luk) that have experienced high oil consumption may also experience a frozen and/or plugged PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system during cold weather operation. This condition may increase crankcase pressure leading to a rear crankshaft seal oil leak. I know that GM needed to look at this so I had it towed to diver Chevrolet 2101 Pennsylvania ave, wilmington, de 19806 (302) 482-8359. Almost a week later they called and said the rear main seal blew out and thats what was stated on the service order. I asked about the March 2015 bulletin no.: 14882. They said my car was not part of that group and it would be $3200 to fix. I asked how can this be when it clearly is the same issue stated in the bulletin exactly. Cold temps, frozen pvc, blown rear main. I was even told a few car were in during that cold snap with same issue, but those car had ext warranty or were part of the group VIN. So now im here trying to get help from you. This is a known problem and they wont acknowledge it. Im a single mom with 2 kids and I dont know what to do.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jan 282019

Equinox

Engine started knocking and smoking, died while moving. Engine seized due to no oil. Added 1 qt of oil the day before. Low oil light did not come on. Oil had been changed within 3,000 miles. Car needs whole new engine.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Feb 062019

Equinox

Excessive oil consumption, manufacturer won't honor warranty because it expired 4 months ago, despite mileage being half to requirement. We were not notified of the warranty or it's expiration.

- Selkirk, NY, USA

Aug 162016

Equinox

This special coverage, bulletin #14882 is exactly what's going on with my vehicle and I am under the 10-year, 120K time frame. Yet apparently my VIN doesn't match up so I don't get coverage. Https://GM.oemdtc.com/1899/special-coverage-adjustment-plugged-PCV-orifice-in-intake-manifold-2010-2014-Buick-Chevrolet-GMC I was sold this vehicle in August of 2016. I complained about excessive oil use via email and my complaint was never addressed. Bulletin 12585C was released between January and March of 2016, so jeff belzer Chevrolet of lakeville, mn sold me this vehicle with the piston issue instead of covering them. Now that I've learned about special coverages, I am outside of the time frame for coverage and I feel slighted and cheated. This is a faulty design and instead of Chevrolet holding a semi-decent standard, I am left with the bill. Https://GM.oemdtc.com/3953/excessive-engine-oil-consumption-2011-Chevrolet-Equinox-GMC-terrain

- Truman, MN, USA

Jun 302016

Equinox

I bought this vehicle on 11/16/2015 and I start having problems in June/2016 got it fix, then the transmission broke and I had it replaced, I already spend like $5000 dollars now it's the engine it will cost close to 7.000.00 to fix it now, I still owe 1.500.00 just do the math, I was told that those vehicles came out with many imperfections I just feel that there should be a recall I have no money to fix it and even if I do will it worth it? the very first it broke I was on traveling to New Mexico, the transmission broke here in town hwy 60 and the engine here in town as well.

- Worthington, MN, USA

Jan 182019

Equinox

Massive oil leak from engine and rear main seal blew out

- Folsom, PA, USA

Jan 222019

Equinox

Vehicle leaking excessive amount of oil. Bulletin number 14882 doesn¿T cover my vehicle even though it is the identical problem as what was described in the bulletin.

- Alliance, OH, USA

Jan 022019

Equinox

I own 2011 Chevy Equinox. Only has 80,000 miles. First occurrence started as I was driving on the freeway and the vehicle stalled on me couple of times as I was driving or at stop sign. Malfunction engine sensor light turned on. Took it to two different people to look at it for an estimate, since taking it to the dealership will cost an arm and a leg, both said timing chain problem and I would need to get a new motor! also excessive oil consumption yet no sensor turns on. Checked to see if there were any recalls but only see hundreds of complaints with the same problem!

- Cochranville, PA, USA

Dec 282018

Equinox

Error code P010 camshaft position actuator solenoid. Rough idle, dies in stop and go traffic.or when stopped at a stop sign and turning. There was a recall for this issue on cars built in different factories, they refuse to repair mine because it wasnt made in one of those factories. Have had the same issue since vehicle was 3 months old. Chevy dealer told me they couldn't find any issues

- Jolier, IL, USA

Dec 272018

Equinox

The engine is a 2.4L ecotec engine which I've had to have the exhaust manifold repaired twice in basically two years but if you look on-line, this is a very common occurrence with this engine model. It starts off as a check engine fault code, related to exhaust or crankshaft position sensor but the issue tends to be a cracked exhaust manifold. While researching the issue on-line, I see numerous instances of this ecotec 2.4L engine having this issue-and on different GM models of cars.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Mar 012018

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and an abnormal clicking noise was heard. In addition, the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to 1ownercar (410 w oak ln, glenolden, pa 19036, (610) 915-3417) where it was diagnosed that the battery was dead. The contact mentioned that the alternator, starter, and battery were replaced, but the failure recurred and could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Felton, DE, USA

Dec 202018

Equinox

PCV system freezes causing the low power mode (limp mode) and check engine light to come on. Its a known issue, and GM covered it on a few cars. Next time I may be in heavy traffic.

- Alton, IL, USA

Dec 092018

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 5 mph from a stop sign, the vehicle stalled and the check engine indicator flashed. The vehicle was taken to kent Chevrolet Cadillac (1413 hwy 62 E, mountain home, ar 72653, (870) 495-2605) where it was diagnosed that the camshaft actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 173,000.

- Mountain Home, AR, USA

Nov 282018

Equinox

I brought the car in for excessive oil consumption it now needs a motor I just got it 7 months ago from dealer. No warranty. Engine seized

- Centereach, NY, USA

Dec 142018

Equinox

Windshield wiper motor link breaks whenever I use my wipers and then I need to replace. Has happened multiple times. Excessive oil consumption. Oil is empty after no more then 2000 miles. Need to add 4 quarts to refill. No leaks.

- Milton, WI, USA

Dec 112018

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle shook and an engine power reduced warning indicator illuminated. The engine seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the engine failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 012018

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving at unknown speeds, the contact heard an abnormal ticking noise. In addition, the vehicle was using three to four quarts of oil per month. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The local dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 118,394.

- Coats, NC, USA

Nov 232018

Equinox

Driving down the highway going about 70 miles per hour over a bridge. My vehicle started loosing power. About 2 miles after the bridge the engine light came on and the engine shut off. Never came back on.I was towed to a shop where the diagnosis was engine code P228D, previous to that in January of this year another engine code P0302 was captured and in July of this year yet another engine code P0420 captured as well, via a tracking system thru my insurance.

- North Highlands, CA, USA