8.2

$2,560

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (20 reports)
  3. not fixed (14 reports)
  4. have gm recall all defective 2.4 engines (10 reports)
  5. replaced piston rings (9 reports)
  6. replaced pistons and rings and oil sesnor (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Oct 102020

Equinox LX 2.4L L4

I started noticing the excessive oil consumption last year in October, when I took the car in for an oil change. The mechanic told me it was low on oil when it came in. After 2-3 months went by, I noticed a knocking in the engine and asked my husband what he thought. He checked the oil and it was 2 quarts low. We figured the mechanic didn't fill it up to normal capacity, so we added 2 quarts. Another 2-3 months passed by. I typically drive to and from work 130 miles a week, 520-600 total a month including local errands. This time the car was 2 quarts low again. There is no sign of leaking oil in the driveway, and I just had the car smog checked a few months ago, and it passed with no issues. I am very concerned that the car will wear out much sooner than it should, and need to the engine rebuilt. What can I do about this car burning that much oil?

- Sonyang D., Corona, CA, US

Oct 012019

Equinox LS 2.4L V4

Constantly have to check and add oil. Mechanic said that the piston rings need to be replaced.

- Brian B., Converse, US

Jul 142020

Equinox LS 2.4L

I purchased my 2012 Equinox from a used car dealership May 16, 2020 with a 156,000 miles. I got an oil change on May 18, 2020. June 21,2020 I added about 3/4 quart of oil. July 14, 2020 I checked my oil before making a 6hr drive and had to add 1 quart. Dashboard shows 75% oil life. Now my check engine light is on and reading Po420 code emissions catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1. I don’t have a visible oil leak. My guess is that catalyst converter is damaged due to oil.

- Rachele B., Isola, US

Feb 282020

Equinox LTZ 2.4L Eco

It's a known problem for GM/Chevrolet yet they play have played the wait and hope the problem will go away. They've known about it for years but refuse to stand behind their workmanship. For this car with no engine compression they could actually be safe both behind the car and in front of it because the damn thing won't move. I am left with few options. Pay for their mistake myself or dump a low-mileage vehicle for something that is better. Personally I'm thinking of parking the vehicle adjacent to a local dealer with a large lemon display affixed to the roof. I blame GM and hate to have a local dealer receive the brunt of my anger but GM doesn't give a crap.

- D. M. L., Madison, US

Jun 192019

Equinox LT 2.4L

This problem started approximately June of 2019 with approximately 56000 miles on the vehicle, the engine light came on by reading a hand held analyzer, 2 different ones, one by Auto Zone and one by an auto shop owner I replaced a knock sensor shortly afterwards with only a few more miles on the car the engine light came on again thinking it read the same thing thinking we had a bad knock sensor we replaced it again. Then in about a month or so later with not many more miles on the car the engine light came on again the read out this time was a couple different things, the exhaust camshaft position timing actuator solenoid and the intake camshaft position actuator solenoid, these were very costly $43.99 each, approximately a month or two after that the engine light comes on again, the read out was the same as above I replaced both of them again then approximately a month later the engine light comes on again, I replaced them for the third time, which they are in the car now. Fortunately these were under a lifetime warranty and I was able to change them myself or the labor would have been outrageous and in all of these readouts various information came up on the information screen, such as tighten the gas cap, several times. I replaced the gas cap, it made no difference. It still came up on the screen and to this day it is still on the screen.

The latest and most important problem, which is still going on and I feel that it is the same problem with the engine and the recall on it and complaints by everyone as reading as the same as mine, the engine light is on again and this light may go off for one day a week and a month or so but always comes back on and the information on the car screen shows various things that are wrong with it. Gas cap need tightened and the anti skid picture comes on,etc.

Then the engine started knocking, previously I had changed the oil at least at 5,000 miles regularly since I've had the car so with the engine knocking, first thing I did was check the oil, there was no oil on the dipstick, it was completely dry, I was close to a Walmart so I had the oil changed and I had had it changed prior to this approximately two months before. About a month later the car was running rough and it would die on me and was hard starting and again various things came up on the screen and the engine light came on again the engine started knocking again, I checked and there was no oil on the dipstick again it was completely dry so I had it changed again thinking the first time it was leaking from the oil filter or the drain plug wasn't tight, each time we checked under the car, could find no oil under the car so I put two quarts of cheap oil in the car enough to get me to have it changed again, the last 2 times I put high priced synthetic blend oil in, which we now have in at this time. NOTE: Very importantly, all of these times the oil light, not the engine light, did not come on to tell me I was low on oil or needed an oil change.

I have just recently taken the car to the Chevy Dealer in Terre Haute, Indiana where I purchased the car and explained this to the assistant manager, I had previously left this message by phone on the service mgr. voicemail and asked him to call me, he never did so that is when I went up there. The assistant service manager told me corporate wouldn't let them do anything about it and this so-called fix or recall had stopped 6 months ago and by the mileage I had on it 90,128 they couldn't help me. He said I had 2 different problems , which I do not believe and I think he knows it's not true, it's all related to the one problem of the engine, especially after reading all the complaints and lawsuit against GM now in progress to this year and engine (several years) all they did was knock aftermarket parts (Auto Zone, NAPA ) wanting you to buy all GM parts I have registered a complaint with Corporate GM in Michigan and have a case number waiting on them to give me a call or email I am hoping that they can help resolve this so it doesn't cost me anymore money and headaches.

I have the car parked and am driving my daughter's car because it is too dangerous. I was likely to have never got it off the highway this time because it kept dying. I would hope nobody would ever buy this vehicle even though I understand they have changed the engine. Most of my family (8) have gone from GM fans and owners to Dodge products, trucks and cars, within the last year. I hope some people read this and take heed of a billion dollar corporation not putting out a quality product, they have gone downhill.

- Doyle S., Shelburn, US

Oct 202018

Equinox LT V6

I purchased a 2012 used Equinox. I love the car, but it uses too much oil! My personal mechanic has recommended that I trade my car because certain years of Equinox cars use oil, and several other owners have had to replace timing belts. He is trying to help me avoid a car problem. This is causing a financial problem for me, because I still owe quite a bit on the 2012 Equinox. I thought the Chevrolet car would be a good product. I will be looking at other makes for my next purchase.

- Betty S., Bostic, NC, US

Oct 092019

Equinox LX 2.4L 4 cyl

Okay, so as far as I know, every single damn ecotech engine from 2007 up is a real p.o.s. Mine runs great, but uses the hell out of oil. Every 3 to 4 days, I'm paying 5 dollars for a quart of oil to put in my equinox. I love my car. It's a really good ride, only I never have to have the oil changed, because it does it on it's own, hahaha. Seriously, what the hell should we, the great American gm owners have to do before the corporate office will fix this? I'm a loyal customer, I own 2. One is a 2000 Blazer 2 door, 2 wheel drive, that has close to 300,000 miles with no major mechanical problems.

Why couldn't yall just leave great alone and stuck with the 4.3? I don't know of anyone else who owns one that has had this problem like the ecotech engine. Some b.s. G.M., listen. You guys make amazing, great looking cars. Don't cut expenses by lowering the standards of the engine platforms. In the end, your loosing money because it costs to replace these lemon engines. I'll be a chevy girl till death. But if you want to keep loyalty, up the game. Thank you, have a great day 🤗!

- Jessica S., Whiteside, TN, US

May 052017

Equinox 2.4L Ecotech

My Chevy was running great until the oil consumption. Since then we have a o2 sensors issue and pvc has blew twice... now we can't even get out vehicle fixed.

- Laura S., Fort Wayne, IN, US

Feb 092021

Equinox LT 2.4L

I started having problems a year after I finished paying off the car. YEP! Sooo I'm really pissed, right!! First I noticed the car had this clicking sound and seem like it was dragging like it wasn't in the right gear. So I took it to the dealer. I was told it was the Timing chain. I paid for that to be fixed at a Whopping price of $1,900.00, out of pocket. Right after that, I noticed that the air conditioner wasn't coming on when turned on. I took it to the dealer. I was told it was the Catalytic converter. Paid for that out of pocket at $1,200.00.

Then a couple of months later I hear this knocking sound. Stop at light or a stop sign, and my car is jerking some kind of awful. The car was jerking so bad I was scared that I was going to hit some one from behind. Back at the dealers again! Now I'm told it's the excessive engine oil consumption. WOW!!! It seems as if I can't catch a break! My only transportation. Yelling from the top of my head, what am I to do now? I really feel cheated by General Motors!

- fosterb, College ParkRose, US

Jan 192021

Equinox LS 2.4L

My car was making a weird noise when it started and then all of a sudden it was bouncing and chugging at red lights and it was scary.

I've come to find out I had no oil after just doing an oil change 2,000 miles ago.

- Lexy E., Derry, NH, US

Dec 082020

Equinox LS 2.4L I-4

Excessive oil consumption due to faulty piston rings, PCV system sucking oil into intake, and oil spray jets forcing more oil past the faulty piston rings. So much oil consumption is taking place that waiting to change the oil at 3000 miles left me with no oil in my oil reservoir and massive amounts of oil sludge buildup in my crank case. It's only a matter of time before the entire engine seizes while driving.

- John D., Oklahoma City, OK, US

Sep 012017

Equinox LT 2.4L

So I’ve owned a lot of vehicle in my life and all of them had one thing in common until my wife and I bought the 2012 Chevy equinox. The thing that all the vehicles had in common except for this one is that they never burned oil. So how does Chevy get away with this? They say the vehicle is allowed to burn a certain amount of oils between oil changes. What’s normal? Well over 2 quarts per 5,000 miles is “normal”! GM doesn’t want to recall the vehicles cause breaking the engine down to replace oil rings can be expensive. We are part of a class action lawsuit and I hope Chevy has to pay millions back, I don’t care if I don’t get a dime as long as these snakes have to pay large fines and penalties! I’ll never, NEVER but another GM vehicle again. To be honest I’ll never buy another American made car again.

- Joshua S., Ashland City, US

Jun 012019

Equinox LT 4 cyl

I can't even begin to describe the grief this situation caused me. I got an oil change at jiffy lube and my car literally broke down afterwards. Of course, I wanted to blame them, know their reputation.. I took it to my local mechanic. They said they needed to replace a number of parts costing close to $1000. Once I gave them the okay to do this, they discovered there was more of an issue and that I needed to take it to a GM dealership. It took the dealership 2 weeks to even look at it, and once they did they said there is a known problem with these vehicles, but because I didn't bring it in prior to have it looked at, that I was responsible for all the repairs. It ended up costing $2800. That amount didn't even repair all of the damage that the oil consumption issue caused. Its been a nightmare. I will never buy another chevy. I'm so defeated, this car is one thing after another and getting rid of it would lose me so much money at this point.. I can't afford to keep it, or sell it.

- Naomi S., Olympia, WA, US

Jan 012016

Equinox LX 2.4L

I noticed a few years ago that my 2012 Equinox was using too much oil, but there was never any dripping or oil in driveway. Recently this vehicle was going through a quart a week at 160,000 miles. I just received information about a Class Action Lawsuit against General Motors for this issue. The fact that a recall on the Equinox has not happened is ridiculous. I will never by another GM product again!

- dimeola, Santa Rosa, US

Jun 262013

Equinox LT1 2.4L

2nd oil change. Oil level was below fill line after 5000 miles.

- James W., Salinas, US

Jul 012018

Equinox LT 4

I HAVE TO CONTINUE PUTTING OIL IN MY VEHICLE ALMOST EVERY OTHER DAY. IT IS GETTING SERIOUSLY OLD! I SWEAR I PUT MORE MONEY INTO THIS VEHICLE THAN ANY VEHICLE I EVER HAD!!!

- Amanda W., White Hall, AR, US

Mar 192018

Equinox LT 2.4L

2012 Equinox excessive oil use. Took to a dealer and they did oil consumption test. I was using a lot of oil. Because I change my own oil GM will not fix. I feel like I'm being discriminated for changing my own oil. Oil light does not come on so have to check oil every day. This is crazy, can't wait to pay it off and get something else.

- Dallas H., Garrett, US

Dec 152018

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 Cyc

Bought the Equinox in August of 2017, 2 days after buying it had to have both converters replaced and they replaced the upstream O2 sensor as well. After that has been a great car until a few months ago when it started using oil like crazy. Check engine light came on, so we took it to have the codes read, said downstream O2 sensor had to be replaced and that it was running rich. We replaced the downstream O2 sensor on November 13 (which took care of the check engine light), then we did an oil change on November 17th. We have kept up with all the maintenance and oil changes as recommended.

During the oil change, my husband used a different brand of oil but still had the Dexos in it to see if it would cut back on the oil consumption. after the oil change to December 15th, I had put an additional gallon and a half of oil in the car besides what was put in during the oil change. On December 15th, went to check the oil and noticed a slimy yellowish white substances in the oil cap of the car. Talked to the owner of the dealership that I go the car from and he informed me that it was just condensation from where we had so much rain. Advised me to clean the cap out real good and dry it out. Do an oil change to make sure the oil looked fine and was not cloudy. We also checked the antifreeze to make sure there was no oil present. Due to the holiday's and a busy schedule, we let the car sit for about 2 weeks before doing anything to it. We did another oil change and did everything our dealership told us to do, found the oil looked fine, but smelled of gas. That is when we started looking online and found the other complaints. Right now don't have the extra funds to send it to the shop or replace the engine, but from other complaints that looks like what is going to have to happen.

Update from Jan 17, 2019: Bought the Equinox in August of 2017, 2 days after buying it had to have both converters replaced and they replaced the upstream O2 sensor as well. After that it has been a great car until a few months ago when it started to use oil like crazy. Check engine light came on, so we took it to have the codes read, said downstream O2 sensor had to be replaced and that it was running rich. Before we replaced the downstream O2 sensor, the car would barely pull a hill, and would act like it was going to cut off. We replaced the downstream O2 sensor on November 13, 2018 which took care of the check engine light, then we did an oil change on November 17, 2018. We have kept up with all the maintenance and oil changes as recommended. After replacing it and with all the oil issue that we are having, the car is still acting very sluggish and lurches or revs to a higher RPM from time to time while driving. I refuse to drive it on the highway as I'm afraid that something is going to happen and I'm going to be in an accident, so I take all back roads. During the oil change, my husband used a different brand of oil that still had the Dexos as recommended to see if it would cut back on the oil consumption. After the oil change to December 15th, I had put an additional gallon and a half of oil in the car besides what was put in during the oil change. On December 15th, went to check the oil and noticed a slimy yellowish white substances in the oil cap of the car. Talked to the owher of the dealership that I got the car from and he informed me that it was just condensation from where we had so much rain. Advised me to clean the cap out real good and dry it out. Do an oil change to make sure the oil looked fine and was not cloudy. We also checked the antifreeze to make sure there was no oil present. Due to the holiday’s and a busy schedule, we let the car sit for about 2 weeks before doing anything to it and I borrowed another vehicle to get back and forth to work. We did another oil change and did everything our dealership told us to do, found the oil looked fine, but smelled of gas. That is when we started looking online and found the other complaints. Right now don’t have the thousands of extra funds to send it to the shop or replace the engine, but from other complaints that looks like what is going to have to happen.

Saturday spoke with a tech at a Chevrolet dealership and he said it is a known issue with my car, and that GM sent out a bulletin in 2017 but that my car would not be covered as it is over the 140,000 miles limit since my car is currently 165,000 miles on it. We are currently checking the oil every 2-3 days and putting oil in as needed, as this week along we have added almost 2 quarts of oils and have went less than 200 miles. Will be looking at trading this car in as quickly as I can, but since I still owe 2 years on it, it is going to cost me either way.

- wolfmom, Maysville, US

Sep 302018

Equinox LT

DO NOT BUY CHEVY!! Was really happy buying the car in Oct 2016, The car was only 4 yrs old when I bought. Finally I thought I have reliable car with 50.000 miles on it. Very mistaken. I do a lot of driving so I was taking the car religiously for oil changes every 2000 miles. I took really good care of it.

Then one day I took the car to my mechanic with small issue that I noticed while driving, left the car over the weekend. I got a call from my mechanic that the car has no oil? I said that's impossible because I just changed the oil last weekend and advised him to check the sticker on my window. He checked and told me that maybe they didn't change the oil and that I should consider going to have the car serviced next time somewhere else. I was very confused, I have been going there for years with other cars. The shop was owned for more than 60 yrs by father and son, honest hardworking people. I did go somewhere else as he advice me. Checked with my mechanic shortly afterwards.... SHOCKINGLY when I got there after a new oil change in different place he asked me when was the last time that I have changed the oil?????!!!!!!!!!!

I got really upset, since I'm single and a woman i thought maybe he is just joking, BUT IT WAS NO JOKE AT THIS TIME!! The oil was changed a week before. For the past few months I was visiting my mechanic regularly on Saturdays, and he told me that the car has been burning oil!!!!! No leaks no indications on the computer!!!! So on JANUARY 29 2019 the car has given up on me!!! Having the car for only 2 yrs and few months is really devastating, and I still owe money on it!!!!!!

Feeling hopeless and very disappointed in something that I thought I will cherish for years!!!!!!!!

NEVER EVER BUY CHEVY OR ANYTHING FROM GM MOTORS BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS THINKING ABOUT LAWSUIT.

and he was just checking and putting more and more oil ........ UNTIL THE ENGINE JUST GAVE UP FEW DAYS AGO COMPLETELY!!!!

- Angie G., Prospect Heights, IL, US

Jan 312019

Equinox

Apparently due to the cold, the seal froze then pressure built up and blew the seal. Oil just poured out. To fix it, they have to drop the engine. I have heard of many other Equinox with the same issue. The repair is in the thousands of dollars. Dealers know of the problem but haven't done anything about it.

Moral of the story, don't but a Chevy. That is difficult for me because I have driven American cars my entire life, many of them Chevy's. Won't buy another one!

- tombondi, Downers Grove, US