Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

Jun 262021

Equinox

My car received a recall and special coverage notice some months ago and the recall part for the oxygen sensor was fixed but the special coverage they are not wanting to fix the dealership or Gm motors. My Cadillac converter made my pistons go bad because of the oil consumption and there was an open special coverage that I was not notified of last year in 2020 that closed and that would cover the piston ring where so they-€™re saying they will not cover it anymore even though it was caused by the Cadillac converter that is in the special coverage that is still open for 2022. The dealership at the Chevrolet here in my hometown tells me they are not going to fix it because the coverage is expired on both ends and they-€™re tired of dealing with me and to go pick up my car. They have also even recommended me to just fill it up with oil every 2500 miles when in reality it-€™s not even driving those 2500 miles When it eats up the oil. I am risking my car engine blowing out due to this. I am only 19 years old I got this car start my first job and I need it for my job I am risking losing my employment due to this also. They even recommended me that I could drive to my job that-€™s two hours at a distance back-and-forth so that would be four hours a day and that nothing would happen the next day my engine light turned on showing that the oil fill line was very low. Then they are saying that my paperwork is expired but it is not plus on the paperwork for the special coverage it say that if it is aspired to still fix the deal with the oil consumption. They are taking advantage of me because I am a young woman who is only 19 and they think that I do not know anything about it I feel unsafe driving my car and I want them to fix what needs to be fixed. They are telling me they will not fix it anymore even though the special coverage is still current and they are tired of dealing with me.They told me to go pick up my car because they will not fix it. I am tired of not being heard.

- Enid, OK, USA

Mar 182018

Equinox

While traveling down one of the main highways outside of Stillwater Ok. While heading into Stillwater our 2013 Equinox lost power and died. We were almost rear ended my a semi. Thank goodness he swerved and we were able to partially be able to coast to the side of the road. As soon as we got to the shoulder and put the car in Park a HUGE puddle of oil gushed out of the car and it had to be towed. The excessive oil consumption that we were not aware of ( and we faithfully had our cars maintained, oil changed, etc) and destroyed the engine of our car. When I first started contacting GM, Chevrolet etc. I was told there was nothing wrong. We put in over $6,000 in our 2013 equinox and would appreciate very much a reimbursement. Thanks-

- Morrison , OK, USA

Feb 052021

Equinox

2013 Chevrolet Equinox. Check engine light illuminated. Code P0014 code definition camshaft position 'B' - timing over-advanced or system performance (bank 1) replaced both intake and exhaust vvt. Vehicle is losing about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Took to dealer. Did a diagnostic. Old code found, no new "problems" found. Was told running normal. It died 2 times on the way home. This caused my vehicle to stall while attempting to take off at a green light, almost causing a rear end accident two times. Fortunately, I didn't need to break or I would have probably hit another vehicle. After reading other reviews, this appears to be a continuation of a 2011 problem with the Equinox. We were in the process of looking at a Chevy Tahoe, but with Chevy's history it appears we'll look at a different brand.

- Stinnett, TX, USA

Feb 242021

Equinox

My 2013 Equinox is using a massive amount of oil I have the oil changed every 2000 miles and still have to keep an eye on it no oil light comes on to warn me my car also died on me right after starting it and when I pulled the dip stick so much air pressure blew out and blew oil on me I have already replaced the throttle body and pedal postings sensor as well as my back up camara went completely yellow with a blue line going across it my date is never right and I still owe 6000 on it I've had my car 2 years and 6 months

- Elnora, IN, USA

Jan 062021

Equinox

I have a check engine light for clogged pvc valve. Special bulletin was released 14882 GM lost a class action for having limited cars with VIN # approved for the free fix so numerous other owners sued and won in 2019. But now my VIN with the same problem isn't being covered. It's a well known well complained about problem with 2010-2014 Chevy Equinox's. with some cars catching fire. I brought in for what I thought would be a covered repair since the lawsuit and have been given the run around.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 102020

Equinox

Hello, I bought this 2013 2 weeks ago. Had it checked out by the mechanic at the dealership for an extra charge and they said nothing was wrong with it! fast forward 2 weeks to the day I got the car....check engine lights came on...oil etc....took to mechanic and they said there was no oil, I got a $100 oil change and the next day the oil was gone again and has created me a problem now that I can't get to and from. What's going on" how come consumers aren't being made aware of the oil consumption issue before purchasing a vehicle" disgusting!

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 012019

Equinox

Excessive oil consumption with no warning light

- Luana, IA, USA

Aug 012020

Equinox

My manifold is getting a hole in it and I was told that once my check engine light comes on, the manifold will need to be replaced since there is an oxygen sensor located in the manifold. If I let the car idle in the driveway, I can smell exhaust going into my vehicle

- Brighton, MI, USA

Apr 152020

Equinox

I received a recall notice in the mail about my car and oil consumption. I have had to replaced oil in my car in-between oil changes but didn't think anything of it until I received the notice. I had to bring it to the dealer for an oil consumption test. I did then covid hit and they closed down for some time. I restarted the oil consumption test and was told by a mgr named tom that my car was burning excess oil but he would need to speak to his mgr, who was on vacation at this time. I then called him back a week later as I did not hear back from him. Tom told me that the oil consumption was not enough to warrant the car being fixed. I was not satisfied with this answer as their was a recall, I had an oil consumption issue and did what I was supposed to do and they should fix my car. I sent two letters priority mail to the mgr of gengras Chevrolet in East hartford, ct. Both priority packages were received at the dealership but no one has responded to me. I have attached the letter I sent to paul smith, mgr of gengras Chevrolet for your review. I just want my car fixed but I will follow through with legal action if necessary. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my complaint

- Enfield, CT, USA

Sep 012020

Equinox

I noticed a strong exhaust smell inside the cabin of my vehicle. It seems to be stronger when sitting parked (I.e. at the grocery store or at a long stop light). Service shops found a hole in exhaust resonator and a crack in the exhaust manifold which 2 auto service shops indicate are "extremely common in 2013 Chevy Equinox". additionally, it appears 2011 models had a recall on the exhaust system as well.

- Mahomet, IL, USA

Nov 232019

Equinox

Excessive oil consumption. No oil low warning lite ever came on. Just changes oil less than 500 miles prior to the engine being locked up or will jot run. Newer battery and timing chain.

- Fairmount, ND, USA

Jan 172020

Equinox

I was driving my car home from work, on North capital street N.w. a very busy city street, when I stop at the red light my car started to shake, and when the light turned green, my car stalled and the car behind me almost ran into me. When I took my car to the mechanic he told me that my car was almost out of oil, and I told him that I gotten and oil change 1 1/2 months ago, and the meter on my dash broad said that I have 75% oil left in my car, he said to keep an eye on my oil. When I had work done to my car at the dealership, they never told me that I had a problem with excessive engine oil consumption, due to piston ring wear. The engine oil pressure warning light never came on, and "oil pressure low" or engine light never gave me any kind of warning that there was a problem. The dealership said that they will not fix my vehicle because I was over the 120,000 mileage, my car was at 131,699 mileage when I realize what was going on, my car is still stall and I'm afraid that someone will run into the back of me when my car stalls at the light. I work at children hospital, as a nurse and this is not the time for me to be breaking down, trying to even get to work, or trying to get home from work after working 12hrs or 16 hrs, please help.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Jan 292020

Equinox

Engine is burning oil at an alarming rate. Every 1,000 miles there will be no oil on the dip stick. No warning light has came on stating my oil is low. I could have blown my engine multiple times if I didn't check my oil regularly. This is not safe. I bought this car from a dealership 5 months ago and have already had to get 3 oil changes bc of the excessive amount of oil loss plus have had to add oil in between.

- Becker, MN, USA

Nov 252019

Blown engine. Large oil consumption

- Fairmount, ND, USA

Oct 232019

Equinox

Car started shaking and no check engine or oil light was ever displayed. I got to work and asked my friend to check my oil. He checked the oil and he said he doesn?T even know how I made it to work because my car has no oil in it. My car says I still have time to get my oil changed. I noticed my car was acting up for the last week or so. My car is currently sitting in my work parking lot and I need to have some to take me to get oil and then drop off at mechanic.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 092019

Equinox

My engine light came on while driving my Equinox 2013, car started stalling and running rough, the car starts up, however cut off at the traffic stop, I had my car diagnosed.odometer 166,388; which needed timing chain set, timing solenoid and cam shaft, and variable valve. Cam sensor, in addition in between oil changes by the dealership, I also, have to add oil my car uses excessive amount, I thought I had a great SUV, I even recommended and spoke highly of my Equinox, please look into this issue and resolve these problems.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jul 132019

Equinox

The engine oil consumption is 5 to 6 quarts of oil in 3000 miles. This often results in violent vehicle jerking, as well as stability and power reduction, resulting in the engine power to be reduced causing potential collisions in traffic. This can occur and has occurred both when stopping and while in motion.

- Veedersburg, IN, USA

Apr 232019

Equinox

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox, 2.4L with a huge oil consumption problem. My engine light is on, and the vehicle stall intermittently if I'm sitting at a stop light, and I often have challenges starting it back up. I purchased this car about 6 months ago, and being a single father of two, I don't have the financial resources for repairs.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 312019

Equinox

In motion driving to work entering onto two lane highway decelerated and not able to maintain speed limit. No warning lights came on car started sounding louder. Pull off and shut the car off got out and saw oil running out from under the car. Had to have car towed to repair shop.

- Warren, OH, USA

Feb 152017

Equinox

There is a tsb 15285C which covers the 4 cylinder for oil consumption. Nine is the V6 3.6. this goes through 1 quart every 350 miles. I've been to 2 dealers and was told mine is not covered. I cannot afford this repair. What can be done? I bought used from spitzer Chevy in North canton Ohio. I think that they knew of this and I asked if there were any problems and was told that there were none.

- West Salem, OH, USA