9.5

$2,000

Most common solutions:

2. replace rear main seal or rebuild engine (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox:

Mar 022021

Equinox LS

2016 Chevy Equinox, all oil changes done on time, Exhaust system maintained properly, brakes, etc. Preventative maintenance taken care of. This past week extremely cold out in New England (0 degrees or so). Driving on freeway and got off to stop for coffee. Thought the car was going to stall out at the light! Get to the gas station, seems OK, but when goes to idle, awful sound from the engine. Put in park, no issues, when driving, no issues.

Finish driving another couple miles without any noise and/or issues. No dash lights on, no sounds coming from the car. Nothing that would suggest any issue. Oil had been changed three weeks (maybe four) prior, and the exhaust manifold changed out in between that. No issues had been found on either of those visits.

We call the dealer to touch base, they recommend bringing it in. As long as no lights are on, warnings, they think its OK to drive there. Go to backup, warning light says "Low Oil Pressure" but still no engine light on. Park it and turn it off. Oil stick is dry. Oil underneath the car. Have it towed in.

They took a look, found the rear main seal was blown out due to excessive pressure from a stuck/frozen PCV.. Now they're stating there's engine damage and recommend a replacement put in to the tune of $7-8 grand. Car isn't worth that much.

Amazing that they had similar issues with 2010 - 2014 with Oil Consumption being an issue, and now it seems others are having this same issue with rear main seal failure (catastrophically!). Dealer claims they've seen it before, but nothing they can do. Seems to me they're aware (or becoming aware) of this issue. Do not buy an Equinox from the 2015-2017 years because this is how they fixed the previous issue!

- Andrew B., Enfield, CT, US

Jan 082020

Equinox LT 2.4L

Car felt like it was going to stall as I paused to enter a roundabout. I continued through the roundabout and then pulled to the side and shut the car down so I could think without it shaking and hesitating. I decided to pull to a nearby gas station so I held my breath as I did and made it. It was -7 degrees out so I was grateful I stopped short of entering the freeway. It was early morning and I found a shop open. I called a tow truck who charged me $200 to tow (no AAA membership). I was then charged $130 to run diagnostic which they reduced to $50. They gave me an estimate of $2700 for 10 hours of work and $400 in parts. I was sick so I checked with a less commercial mechanic and he said he could fix the rear main seal blowout for $1000. However, he had not seen the issue and I neglected to tell him how bad it was. When I spoke to him next, he suggested that I take it to a Chevy dealer. I spoke to 2 different dealers, verified that it wasn't compensable by any recall, bulletin or warranty but that Chevy may help with costs based on my loyalty and the fact that this is a known mechanical issue. I then had to rent a vehicle at my expense as I was told it would take 2 weeks for anyone to look at it and do repairs. After 1 week, the dealership I chose gave me a loaner car. I was also going to be charge another $90 for diagnosis. Details that I did not include in this were that I spoke to several mechanics who wanted no part of this because of the severity/size of job. There was oil leaking from every crevice. Several felt that buying a new used engine could lead to this occurring all over again. This was a major struggle for anyone to look at.

In the end, for 5 of 6 of my cars being GM cars in my lifetime, my loyalty got me $200 from Chevrolet/GM. By the way, I could have saved that little bit by going to a decent local mechanic but it was very difficult for any of them to commit. Everyone that I spoke to insisted that I go to Chevy. Instead I paid to have it towed a second time to the Chevy dealer and pay the inflated hourly rate through them.

I vow that this issue will not end with me. I will continue to make this issue known until I reach a reasonable deal. And for all of their $200 loyalty I will return them a favor by NEVER purchasing another Chevy and talking everyone out of their GM cars.

- pharm522, Waterloo, US

Jan 222019

Equinox LS 4 cyl

click to see larger images

blown rear main seal blown rear main seal blown rear main seal blown rear main seal blown rear main seal blown rear main seal

Driving on the NJ Turnpike freezing cold out day and my car just dies. I came to a rolling stop on the side of the road. Tried starting car and nothing, then I hear a grinding noise as I turn the key, get out and open the hood. I turn key again and I hear this grinding noise again. Call AAA but they can't pick me up on the Turnpike needs to be a separate tow truck company.

After 45 minutes freezing in the car the tow truck guy shows up. Takes a look at the truck check oil and says I have no oil. Turned key and dash did not show any oil lights lit. Looked at the back of the truck and there was oil all over it see pics. Had to get towed to yard then called AAA to take me to Elkins Chevy. Elkin's Chevy looked at it and said the pcv valve froze causing the rear main seal to break causing engine to lose all oil and cease up. No warning lights or sensors lit up at all. Dealer said I was out of warranty 88,575 miles so i was responsible for fixing.

New engine $6,000 used $4,500 plus what ever other damage to the pvc seal and case. estimated 7,000 to 9000. to fix the truck was only 2 years old and always got serviced oil changes ect. I Bought another equinox 2019 and while transferring my stuff from 1 truck to another service guy said this a common thing with this engine and Chevy is aware. I went home and google what happened and sure enough they have a class action suite against them. They said it should only be on the 2014 and that it was fixed but clearly it was not fixed. I called Chevy, escalation and managers they said since I sold the truck and got a new one there was nothing they could do.

- Ted K., Neptune, US

Jan 312019

Equinox LT 2.2L

Parents (senior citizens) got a 2016 Equinox 2wd. Hhad oil changed every 5k @ Valvoline care center. While on a short trip smelled oil, motor started to tick. Parents were close to oil change shop and pulled in. Attendant looked under car pointed out entire bottom of Equinox covered in oil from blown main seal and dip stick was blown up slightly from internal motor pressure. Now parents stuck with large uncovered repair. Warranty should be higher than 60k. Side note: mechanic said many of this type motor go before 100k...:-(

- Adam T., Sebring, OH, US