1.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

Oct 042019

HHR

I read an article today from the detroit free press about NHTSA's investigation of fuel leaks in older Chevrolet HHR's, so I wanted to send you an email about my HHR's issue. I took my 2008 HHR in for a normal oil change and they told me about a fuel line leak towards the left rear wheel well of my car. I also have a ┐check engine light┐ that wont go away, and get a message randomly to check my fuel cap. I┐ve replaced my fuel cap twice, and the garage I take my car two says the engine light is tied into the leaky fuel line. I have not replaced the line due to the quoted $1,000 for repair, but have attached the photo below. I believe this is directly related to NHTSA's investigation, and would like to know how to move forward next. I also think this leak has affected my left rear tire sensor since it is near the root of the leak. Thank you for your time today.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 052020

HHR

My fuel line has become corroded and is leaking gas from around the rear driver's side wheel.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Jul 302020

HHR

I recently heard on the news that there was a fuel line leak problem reported by NHTSA, on Chevy cobalts and Hhrs. I printed a copy of the news report, provided it to my mechanic and asked the shop to check it. They found the fuel lines ready to crumble, which they did when the lines were removed. I was lucky they had not crumbled--the car could've caught fire. The repair was costly and labor intensive. The back part of the exhaust system had to be removed and replace due to the age of the car and thinness of the exhaust pipe at the converter.. the mechanics stated that the cause of the corroded fuel lines was poor design, using steel pipes and the pipes situated such that water (and road de-icer) gets trapped above a shield promoting corrosion. I looked up this problem on the internet and found many entries for Hhrs with corroded fuel lines. I'm fortunate that I heard the news item or my car could've gone up in flames. I'm surprised there has not been a recall--there should be.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Feb 032020

HHR

Fuel smell coming from left rear of car

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 012019

HHR

The fuel line on my vehicle developed a leak at the left rear tire. I had to buy and install an aftermarket fuel line kit. I found that the metal fuel line has rusted through. When removing the old fuel line the purge line broke open at a rusty area. These two lines and a brake line run through a tubular knitted heat shield in this area. The heat shield had collected dirt and salt and was damp on a dry day when I was working on the line replacement. Poor design.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Mar 012019

HHR

The fuel line on my car was leaking near the left rear tire. A service garage repaired the rusted out metal line with a 2 foot length of rubber hose.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Mar 012020

HHR

Fuel line is leaking under the car at the front of the left rear tire. I believe the purge line is also leaking at this location. A check-engine light is currently on for a purge system leak.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Oct 162019

HHR

I had drove vehicle about 6 blocks to grocery store. Upon exiting car had a strong smell of gasoline. Didn't notice any thing leaking. Went into store. When returning still smelled gasoline and noticed a small amount of fuel on driver side under rear seat area. Started vehicle and fuel poured on ground as it idled. When running, electric fuel pump puts line under pressure and fuel camp out leak. Took vehicle to mechanic and was told both fuel and vapor lines were rusted through. He said that they have had to fix a lot of Hhrs and cobalts. He said the design retains water in the area under rear seat making the lines rust out and creating an unsafe situation. Repairs totaled $565.39 this failure was designed into the vehicle by the engineers. Fortunately there was not a fire as this is close to the exhaust system.

- Pana, IL, USA

Jun 182020

HHR

Both fuel lines were rusted and leaking by driver rear wheel.dealership replaced both lines car was down for four days. Very dangerous Chevy could have done a better job with the lines.not running the fuel lines beside the exhaust! and not having a wrap to hold in moisture.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 232018

HHR

Strong smell and puddling when parked indicating fuel line leakage at rear driver side tire area (just in front of the rear tire). Upon replacement the fuel line was discovered to be corroded.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Mar 242020

HHR

Fuel line has rusted and started leaking fuel just in front of drivers rear tire. Noticed once vechile was park. I saw a puddle and smelt the aroma of fuel.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Feb 062020

HHR

Fuel lines have rusted. Engine light came on. Car is now parked safely. Pending repair. Inferior materials from Chevrolet on this car. Many on Chevy blog with the same problem.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 122020

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated when the vehicle was parked in the garage the vehicle emitted a fuel odor. The contact inspected the vehicle and found the fuel lines that are located at the driver's side front wheel corroded due to water intrusion which penetrated the fuel line rubber mount and metal cover. The contact repaired the vehicle himself. The contact replaced the corroded fuel lines were replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Oct 042019

HHR

When I turned off my car recently, I could smell gasoline. I could also smell it when the air conditioning was on. I took my HHR to sweenybuick/GMC, and they pointed out that two fuel lines were rusted through and I was driving my car under dangerous circumstances...some of the gasoline was leaking close to the muffler. My service agent said a fire could have easily started. The mechanic replaced my fuel lines, and then told me that he has had to replace fuel lines in other Chevy HHR's and Chevy colbalts. At no time has GM ever notified me that my fuel lines can rust through, and that other cars have had the same issue: HHR or cobalt. However, this dangerous rusting has occurred in others. I went online and found out that others have experienced rusted fuel lines, and some have attempted to replace the lines themselves. A recall should have been issued. Hopefully no one will die in a tragic fire caused by gas leaks. I could smell the gasoline both when driving (especially with the air conditioning on, and when using the key to turn the car off. However, when looking underneath the car, I did not detect gas leaking from underneath, and I believe this was a slow leak, because my gas gauge did not show a dramatic loss of gas. When I called Chevrolet customer support they reported it was a known issue but no recall had been issued.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 092019

HHR

My 2008 HHR panel ls has a fuel leak and it is located on the driver side just in front of the rear left car. After investigation I believe it is rusted. I understand Chevy put a sleeve around the fuel line for whatever reason and living up North it has trapped water and rusted. The fuel line is near the exhaust and I fear it might ignite or possibly trap myself or a drive in a flaming vehicle. Can you tell me if this problem is ongoing and has been recalled.

- Crete, IL, USA

Sep 122019

HHR

I put my 2008 HHR in the shop for a brake issue and mentioned to my mechanic that I smelled a faint smell of gasoline to check it out. He called later and told me the brakes were a minor issue but the gas smell was the major issue. The gas line was rusted out in more than one place and I was leaking gas all this time. My story about the gas line is almost word for word the same as a prior complaint on this site. This is a highly dangerous issue and apparently not an isolated one. $ $1000 in repair but my safety as well as my family's is at stake. My mechanic recommended that I not get into this car until this repair was made. Imagine my surprise when I read someone else had the exact same problem on the same type car.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Jun 022019

HHR

Fuel lines rusted and leaking. Leak located on drivers side just before rear tire. Upon examination it appears that the two fuel lines are wrapped with insulation of some sort due to the lines proximity to the exhaust. This insulation has been trapping moisture for years causing the oxidation of non stainless steel fuel lines. This dangerous condition was noticed while the vehicle was stopped. I have taken the vehicle to a mechanic and have been told that the lines must be replaced which will cost approx 650 dollars. The mechanic informed me that he is familiar with this common safety hazard attached to this model. I also have now read other complaints regarding this dangerous problem. I strongly suggest that the NHTSA use its considerable influence with the manufacturer of this vehicle to enact a safety recall for this hazard on this model and all vehicles that may have this defect. This safety violation has been reported to your organization, to Chevrolet dealerships and to General Motors' Chevrolet division for years and those notifications have all been ignored. Will it take multiple horrendous tragedies before somebody does the right thing. Does an american car company need another Ford pinto-like (aka "pintorch") negative publicity campaign on its hands?I I cannot fathom why a company that issued a recall for a plastic latch for a dashboard door and has scoffed at folks for notifying them of this very preventable safety hazard.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Apr 162019

HHR

Fuel line leaking, near fuel tank under heat shield, between exhaust pipe and body part. The vehicle was parked.it appears that the exhaust had repeatedly smashed the fuel line, overtime.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 022018

HHR

Takata recall. My 2008 HHR is leaking gas from the fuel line by my rear drivers side tire. The leak starts when I start my car and ends within 30 minutes of the car engine being turned off.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Sep 292018

HHR

I was told by a neighbor that fuel was leaking from the rear bottom of the car. I came home and looked under the car and saw that fuel was leaking from the gas line next to the muffler.the vehicle is now parked in the driveway.

- Port Republic, NJ, USA