Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

Dec 162021

Malibu

No warm/hot air blowing to the front windshield to defrost during winter months. Hazard to drive especially in the winter months when I need to see out the window. Heater motor works. The heat also builds up inside behind the radio screen compartment causing the radio screen to turn off.

- Window Rock, AZ, USA

Jun 012020

Malibu

The 2013 Malibu continues to die when coming to a stop at a stop sign/light or at low rate of speed. This poses a major safety risk as when driving down the interstate and coming to a low speed the car will die and at times struggle to restart. This increases the chances of getting hit by moving vehicles. The car has been to a mechanic and confirmed that the car continues to die when coming to a stop or low speed but no engine codes show. This has been a known problem of the 2013 Malibu with no known fix.

- Clarksville, MO, USA

Aug 052021

Malibu

ALL ELECTRICAL INSIDE CAR GOES OUT OR ON AND OFF WHILE DRIVING. ALL DASH GAUGES, SPEEDOMETER, GAS GAUGE, RADIO, HEAT/AC, TURN SIGNALS, ETC. CAR STILL RUNS BUT NOTHING ON INSIDE WORKS. I do not know if this control outage effects the ABS or Steering. It only last for a few seconds. It has happened several time will drive 50 to 70 MPH. I've let off the gas and try not to panic. Everything comes back on and I continue home. I'm scared to drive my car

- Thomson, GA, USA

Jul 162021

Malibu 4-cyl

2013 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes seeking reimbursement for vehicle repair.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

Jun 112021

Malibu

Car is stuck in heat. Sometimes the controls come on by themselves and hard to turn off. Heat does not defrost the window it sometime make it worse and hard to see while driving. Was told that it is not the compressor but the wiring and programming of the control system. A recall for other years have been issued for similar issues. This is the third report filed.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 232021

Malibu

2013 Malibu is shutting off on its own while driving, vehicle restarts on its own. This occurs randomly when driving down the road. Some times vehicle is turning, sometimes it is when the vehicle is going straight. This first happened about May 15, 2021. It happened 3 times May 22, 2021. Steering does not work while engine is off. This is a very dangerous. We noticed radio stops working. We took it to Berger Chevrolet May 17,2021. They could not find a problem. They said a while guess would be to change the battery. We did not have battery changed.

- Flint, MI, USA

Jan 012021

Malibu

Got a safety recall notice N202308930 on January 2021 and still no info about parts to repair. I have a kid about to drive from Indiana to Connecticut and I'm a little concerned.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Mar 182021

Malibu

The steering wheel sticks/locks up on left and right turns, usually while driving on street roads. The steering wheel also locked while switching lanes on the highway. This is a major safety concern. The radio also blanks in/out often while driving the vehicle, sometimes in conjunction with steering issues. I've only had this vehicle for a short time and been to the dealership on repeated occasions without any luck with duplication or resolution. Also, the pending product safety recall regarding the rear suspension toe link hasn't been addressed by the dealership due to no availability of parts from manufacturer. I've paid for this used vehicle but inherited these issues which are major safety concerns and very bad business. (supporting docs available upon request)

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012021

Malibu

There is a recall(from GM) regarding rear toe links that received excessive electrocoating corrosion protection which could cause the E-coat to become brittle and break away when contacted by road debris. This can reduce the ability to control the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 152021

Malibu

My car was running in the drive when it died and would not restart. Everything went dead. I had to jump start it and after that the airbag light came on. The airbags will not deploy in the event of an accident with this light on. I took my car to a Chevy dealer where I was charged $80 to be told that the SDM airbag module needs replaced and estimated cost for this is $1100. My car only has 108232 miles on it and to know that it could cost me either my families life or $1100 everytime the battery dies is not a choice anyone should have to make. Airbags are supposed to be the most dependable part of a vehicle as it saves so many lives. How do I know if they are even working with the light off if it is this sensitive" I am afraid to drive the vehicle even if I get it fixed and since I just purchased the car recently I owe to much to try to buy anything else. How can part of the safety equipment fail so easily and not be on recall? what would have happened if it had died while I was driving down the road instead of in the driveway putting the car into gear" after leaving the dealership it now has a new code but I am afraid to drive it to find out what else is wrong.

- Carrollton, MO, USA

Feb 082021

Malibu

I got a recall notice stating risk: Rear toe link can cause loss of vehicle control and worse case of a risk.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 142021

Malibu

I was driving the vehicle when I heard strange noises. I then heard a loud noise and the car barely would move. When I got out of the vehicle, I saw the wheel was slanted. It was towed to a aaa repair facility where they discovered it was a broken toe link that had rotted. When it broke, it also bent a bar in the rear. The inspector said the same was happening on the opposite side and needed to be repaired.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Malibu

When I first got the car it was less than 4 months of owing it 38,000 mile, and I had issues. When I would come to a stop and the auto stop/start would kick in my car would die. And at one time it smelt like a burning rubber. The initial time the car died and would not start. Called dealership mathews Buick in marion Indiana, had it towed but they could find what was wrong with it. Well it happened again not a few months later this time by the time I got to my home the serpentine belt busted from where the "auto stop/start feature" locked up and broke it in half. So few hundred dollars later "they said they fixed it" but I have had problems with it since then. Now my engine leaks dont know why, and my car wont even start. I could not even tell you what they fixed, but it cost me. I tried the lemon law but everything has to be in a certain time, and it has to be fixed so many times. I feel the dealership sold me a bad vehicle and knew it!! this car had nothing but caused me headaches all because of the auto stop/start feature. I hope you can help me because now my car does not run no power and I have been told it could be the altenator but apparently you can only buy parts from the dealership and just for that it is $900!! this covid-19 has caused me a hardship and now that I have a good job I have to rent a car for $800/month to get to work. I still owe on this car so I am making car payments on top of the rental. Please help these issues happen when I was driving. I am currently at sons house and all my paperwork is in storrage. I am unclear of the date it happened

- Anderson, IN, USA

Dec 102020

Malibu

The dash screen goes black and cuts power, disconnecting calls and blue tooth connection, and power steering. When this happens I am unable to turn the wheel. The wheel jerks back in place. This happens while the car is in motion. This has happened to me while on the freeway. It only cuts power for a few seconds and it comes back on but I am unable to control the car when this happens. I am also unable to move the steering wheel at all when this happens. This happened a few months back a few times and I contacted the dealership and they didnt know what to do with it because it wasnt happening at the time. It most recently happened yesterday on 12/10/2020.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Dec 082020

Malibu

I came to a complete stop at a stop sign and my car shut off. I turned it back on and it drove. I was at a red light and my car started to stall and shut off. This has happened a few times. I was on a local street. I searched this up on GM website and quite a few people have had the same problems with no resolution

- Auburn, ME, USA

Feb 152020

Malibu

Having problems with the eassist system. The auto stop function cause the car to stall and stop and shake sometimes while driving and stop at the light or stop sign I have to drive in manuel mode to drive the car. If the car not in part of it's neutral the car has rolled backwards off the parking pad. That happened just one time to me. After reading about other people reporting this, I keep the safety break on. Also I read about the recall on the E assist. I'm currently having the same issues but my VIN number is not included. I got the car used and only had it for a little over a year.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 072020

Malibu

Code P2097 (post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 1) kept popping up I went to a aaa certified shop and they ran tons of tests on the car and they found that this code is common on Chevy Malibu's, Chevy came out with a guide to try and fix the code but doesn't guarantee it fixes the problem I got car fully inspected (fuel pressure, fuel ratio, mass air ratio etc) and got both oxygen sensors replaced and crankcase breather hose replaced about 5 miles after I leave the shop check engine light came back on and it's the same code. Chevy needs to address this common problem so many people are having

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Aug 302020

Malibu

While driving the car will shut down unexpectedly, causing a panic situation!

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Nov 192014

Malibu

I am the 2nd owner of my 2013 Chevy Malibu ltz we bought at 19,000 miles, it has been in the shop more than any car I have had!! when I first got it the wheel bearings went out and not just one they went out one by one at end expenses of $900 at one time at xmas!! it's been running good now, it now has 130,000 miles on it. But from day one the rims have been peeling off they had some coating over it and it's slowly peeling off making my car look really bad!! I called Chevy and they refused to give me any replacement rims! now we are in the process of sand blasting them and painting them. But why Chevy wouldn't replace these ans make their own cars look cheap and crappy is beyond me!! I'm just hoping my car isn't going to have all these stalling issues that people are having! I plan to drive this car until it's a rust bucket!! lol ;-)

- Lindstrom, MN, USA

Dec 102019

Malibu

Radio quit working and won't come back on. I got in my car one day to go to work and the screen was blank and hasn't come back on since. It was working fine the day before no issues or anything odd happened before it went out. I've seen plenty of complaints about the radios going out.

- Washington Courthouse, OH, USA