7.7

$950

Most common solutions:

1. replace condenser unit (22 reports)
  3. replace A/C compressor (11 reports)
  4. replace the condenser (7 reports)
  5. replace hose and add "upgrade" bracket (5 reports)
  6. replaced hose and added an "upgrade" bracket (4 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Mar 212022

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

I have a 2014 Silverado that has had AC problems for about a year. Just had the condenser replaced and I'm praying that is last of the AC problems, considering it has all new parts!! Grrrr...

- Amelia R., Bartlesville, OK, US

Apr 222018

Silverado 1500 WT2 5.3L

This must have been a really common issue because it almost took the whole summer for the parts to come in. The compressor and all hoses around it were replaced with likely a newer version.

- Thomas L., Peterborough, ON, Canada

Nov 222019

Silverado 1500

I purchased this used 11/22/2019. I mentioned the air blowing hot, but they charged it and I thought that fixed it. My bad for not researching the vehicle first.

Took it back in spring of '20, charged again, then last week, (July '20), it stopped blowing cold AGAIN. Took it in for an estimate. 1600.00 and LOTS OF THINGS TO FIX!

I did my research and felt duped! I bought it because I couldn't afford to keep making repairs on my TRADE-IN!

Chevy really dropped the ball here and I read that they did send out warnings to the dealers. This dealer was not a Chevy dealer, I will add. I still think they should have covered it or at least covered it better, since I asked for it to be fixed before I ever drove off the lot with it. Now it's MY problem!

- Kimberlee T., Muskogee, US

Aug 062020

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

AC was repaired 2018. It was still under warranty, AC stopped working again in August 2020. Dealer charged 1200 dollars to to replace faulty condenser. Truck was 2 months out of warranty. Truck is a 2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ. BAH Humbug!!!!!

- Sandra D., Manvel, US

Jul 202020

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

Some days AC works fine, other days just blows hot air. Has a mind of its own.

- ben2014ltz, San Jose, US

Apr 152021

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

Cost of repair was covered on other vehicles using the SAME AC Condensor. GM was absolutely of no assistance. All I wanted to understand was: why was the Silverado and Tahoe excluded? They could NOT provide an explanation!

I have purchased nine new Chevrolet vehicles over the years. The last 2 (a Tahoe & this Silverado) have both been a disappointment. Oddly enough, quality went south once they got tax payer bailout and became the Government Motor Company... Thank you BO.

- R D K., Livermore, US

Mar 112020

Silverado 1500 LT

Just like everyone else, the AC went out. Definitely surprised a car no older than 6 years is acting up. Meanwhile, my 2008 Camry still has AC. Never getting a Silverado again unless I'm offered it for free.

- colonelsanders, Denver, US

Apr 012020

Silverado 1500 LTZ 3.2L

REPLACED A AC HOSE AT 60,000 MILES. AC GOT SICK AGAIN. PIN HOLE IN CONDENSER.

- Fred N., Midland, US

Nov 012019

Silverado 1500 LX 5.2L

I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500. About 6 months ago I noticed the AC started to blow warm air. Over the course of a few days it progressively got worse. I picked up some AC refill at the auto store, and that worked for about a week and it was back to blowing hot air again. This happened like I said six months ago and ever since then I have had to purchase the AC charge at least once a week in order to keep it from turning into a comic tweet sauna in my truck. However over the last week the AC charge is no longer holding oh, I brought it into my mechanic and he said that the leak that was causing the issue got bigger and now it doesn't hold the charge and it must be replaced. Luckily my mechanic told me about the recall on Chevy Silverado 1500 trucks from the years 2014 through 2018 due to a bogus AC hose that used. There are thousands of people just like me who came across the same exact problem with their truck. Unfortunately I found out after I was about $700 into the negative as far as having to get it worked on. I am calling GM tomorrow morning and I am going to bring my truck in first thing so they can fix it. I live in South Florida so you can just imagine what my days have been like when the AC is blowing hot air in a 98 degree summer day with 100% humidity! If you want some advice, do not ever buy a Chevy! It is the worst car / truck I have ever purchased in my entire life. I will never buy another Chevy again

- Thomas S., Delray Beach, US

Sep 102019

Silverado 1500 LS V6

In California (from Texas) and A/C stops blowing cold or warn, just HOT air. Tried adding sealant and Freon that worked for about 10 minutes. Since then just hot air. Driving back from CA to TX thru the Central Valley, AZ and NM was not fun with temps > 90. I was checking here to see if anyone has had success on getting GM to fix this problem that seems rampant with this model Silverado/Sierra.

Update from Jul 14, 2020: I wrote to GM and received one phone call with a number to call. Called the number over 10 times, every time I was disconnected while going through the menu. Received a letter from Chevrolet with the same useless phone number. Wrote again hoping to get email address to open a dialog.

Update from Jul 14, 2020: Letter sent from Chevrolet states: 'don't hesitate to email us using the Contact Us link at Chevrolet.com'. Have looked for an email address for weeks and there is no email address to Chevrolet. Service Request Number 9-6056036105 from Chevrolet.

FINALLY spoke to a GM rep. Says I have to pay to have Chevrolet tell me the A/C doesn't work. That any coolant leaks out as fast as it can be put in. Have appt. for Monday 20 July 2020 at dealer where truck was purchased new.

Update from Oct 6, 2020: Finally heard back from GM (Chevrolet) after numerous phone calls, email and letters. They essentially said 'DON'T CARE - You bought the truck and any problems are yours. Cost $512 plus hours to have repaired at dealer. Chevrolet (UN) customer care would not even review problem until I took to dealer. So two and a half months and they don't give a crap. Have only owned Chevy P/U since the '60s. Never again.

- Gary E., Spicewood, TX, US

Aug 132019

Silverado 1500 LTZ V8

The compressor cracked, looked like it threw a rod out of the side, only 60k miles on this truck, very, very expensive to get fixed.

Of course no warranty or recall and no allowance from GM.

- Steve P., Pearl, US

Jul 112019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

Okay here's the issue....My AC seems to have it's own mind. There are times when the AC will NOT get cold...then it gets cold....then not so cold. The AC air IS much COLDER on the passenger side blower and NOT on the driver side. I haven't done anything about this because it's an intermittent issue. My AC runs casually warmer on HOT DAYS....which blows.

- Mace Matthew C., Centerport, NY, US

Jun 242019

Silverado 1500

It will kick in once in a while. then shut off all on its own.

- Deborah C., Deford, US

Jun 152018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

This is our 2nd truck the first one had a leak. In the engine block at 1500 miles ,3 months of wrangling and 2 attempts to fix it / we got a new truck that cost me another $1800.00 ! Then the a/c compressor goes out l have done both but baby this truck , and now one year after paying for compressor the a/c goes out again now it's a hose that's cracked another $800.00 wants next ? I will not buy another Chevy.

- Ron B., Manteca, US

Jun 052019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

This is starting to become a problem truck ,replaced a/c compressor 1 year ago now the high side hose leaked all Freon out and it cost $800.00. They knew that there was a problem with the hose a year ago, it should have been replaced then.

- Ron B., Manteca, US

Jun 022015

Silverado 1500 LS 4.3L

new and all these problems, this 2nd time ac has broken and i have only 30000 miles on it , ernest

- Sharon B., Four Oaks, NC, US

May 222019

Silverado 1500 LT V8

The worse part is that Chevy knows it used defective parts, but doesn't apparently give a damn that it's caused an expensive fix to their customers. My damn truck isn't even paid off yet and now I have to pay $1200 to fix something that wasn't my fault and should have lasted the life of the damn truck which should have been way over 5 years. I'm 59 years old and a die hard Chevy fan but, oh hell NO. Not anymore. This truck has cost me $1400 in repairs over the winter for faulty plug wires, again not my fault but nothing is ever under warranty. Now, $1200 to fix a faulty a/c condenser. I'm ditching this bitch and buying another brand of vehicle.

- Donna H., Decatur, IL, US

May 082019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

click to see larger images

A/C stopped working A/C stopped working

A/C quit working one day, it was 57 degrees outside and mind you it was in the -20 to -30 range most of the winter so 57 feels hot lol. I did some research and found out the condenser was leaking. I contacted Chevrolet because I have already had many problems with the truck a couple months after purchasing it. I pretty much was told to kick rocks. So I replaced it myself in my driveway. Cost in total about $280. Chevrolet wanted $1400 to replace it. Needless to say, the truck has less than 100k miles, I've had trucks with twice that and twice its age still blow ice cold AC.

- Dylan M., Miles City, US

Apr 302019

Silverado 1500 LT 4.3L

i own a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT with a 4.3 engine. It lost its freon charge April 30. We took it to our mechanic because we found out from the dealer it is no longer warrantied. Our mechanic told us right off the bat that he knew from experience that Chevrolet had a terrible problem with its ac system. He change out the upper hose and recharged the system. It blew cool for all of 3 days and it was warm again. Took it back to him and the lower line was replaced and charged. Again here it is 5 days later and no ac, just warm air.

Who pays $35000.00 for a truck and then is expected to fork out hundreds of dollars for issues that should not be taking place. I am so angry with GM I could wring some folks necks over this.

I have bought Chevy from 18 to 61 years old but will not buy again. They have lost this patron for good. We don't know how much more will have to be spent to get this right or if it can be made right, because the replacement parts are still the same crap. They just can't see how angry I am with this cheap and worthless crap they sell to hard working people. Worst of all, I still owe 14000 dollars on this crapping truck.

So sorry I bought this Silverado. Please take my advice and do not purchase Chevy. They will not make it good either. I wish I could tell the world this bad news for all who are thinking about these trucks and cars from Chevy. We still have no ac two weeks later.

- Larry J., Collinsville, MS, US

Oct 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

AC started leaking at 61K miles (a thousand miles after the warranty expired!). Dealership diagnosed the issue and offered to fix it for more than double what I eventually paid to fix it ($714). I initially believed that they were lying about the diagnosis (it took a couple of months before the warm air was all that would blow). Thinking maybe I'm too late to be involved in the class action suit.

- Christopher R., Magnolia, TX, US