6.0

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Volt:

Apr 032015

Volt

I had to stop quickly on the freeway due to cars ahead but the stop was not that abrupt, at least, the wheels did not lock up. My Volt died on me and I couldn't restart it. I was stuck on the freeway and cars were whizzing by. Nothing I tried to restart the car worked. Two cars actually got into a wreck trying to avoid my car.

I had the car towed and when the car was released from the tow truck I tried to start it, and it started up fine. I had the dealer look at it and the car worked fine for them. They went ahead and replaced the main control card just in case it had a problem. What I don't understand is why Chevrolet can make a car that shuts down its computer control when the car experienced a quick stop. I almost was killed on the freeway because of it.

That problem occurred about 6 Months ago. I wish that was the only problem I have had but unfortunately, this week I experienced a "heater malfunction" error. The check engine light came on. The AC/Heater was on but mainly set at an outdoor temperature (70 degrees). I continued driving to my destination and turned off the vehicle, but when I tried to restart it, it wouldn't start. It indicated "initializing...please wait". I tried for several minutes, to no avail. I left the vehicle and came back 5 minutes later, and the car started up fine.

From my experience and reading these posts it sure seems like GM has designed a death trap. The car is obviously too susceptible to computer glitches and poorly written code. A car should never be designed to just stop working under most alarm conditions, and instead, allow the driver to maintain drive control to ensure they can move the vehicle to a safe location. Mark my words - it will only be a matter of time before drivers end up dead because of this design.

- Alan R., Oakland, CA, US