Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

Aug 192020

Avenger

My has stalled twice and my cruise control is not working

- Holly Hill, FL, USA

May 232020

Avenger

My vehicle lost power in the middle of operation, I also lost power steering and braking during this event.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Feb 272020

Avenger

Cars has been randomly stalling and stopping while im driving. It has happened multiple times on the day it happened. My horn also intermittently goes off with no warning and sometimes it sound of for minutes at a time. After doing some research the issue points to the tipm (totally integrated power module).

- Mankato, MN, USA

Dec 142019

Avenger

Sometimes when its raining or snowing when my car is on at least once during my trip my car will turn off either when I'm at a stop light/sign or when I brake to make a turn. I can sometimes tell when its going to turn off because the car sputters (I dont know how else to describe it). Ex yesterday on my way to work it turned off as I was at a stop light so I turned it off and back on more more issues on my 10 mile trip. On my way back home (car sat in the rain all day) my car turned off as I was leaving the parking lot of my job. When I say my car turned off I mean it loses all power so that when I press my gas car doesnt go anywhere I have to turn it off and back on to continue my trip

- Allentown, PA, USA

Oct 052019

Avenger

Every time car is started and driven it stalls and/or will completely cut off in the middle of traffic. The fuel tank also has the gas light on and says the car has an empty tank when in fact the car has a full tank. (on going issue)

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 222019

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. Hondru Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of elizabethtown (located at 2005 S market St, elizabethtown, pa 17022, (717) 367-6644) was contacted via phone and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Middletown, PA, USA

Apr 012019

Avenger

I was driving down road after filling gas tank car starting spitting, gas hand floating up and down, light flashing,

- Florence, SC, USA

Jan 102010

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 30 mph, the engine seized. On other occasions, the vehicle spontaneously accelerated and then dragged. Also, the driver's seat belt detached without warning and the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the thermostat, clockspring, ECM manifold, throttle body, starter, battery, air fan, integrated power module, air conditioner, compressor, intake runner, steering wheel, and engine needed to be repaired. The vehicle was taken to brockton Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram (241020 belmont St, brockton, MA 02301, (781) 961-1550), but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The failure mileage was 36,000. The VIN was invalid.

- West Bridgewater, MA, USA

Jul 292019

Avenger

I was driving along the freeway and the car just automatically went into limp mode. I change the oil I flush everything then when I went on to the kelly book blue book to try to sell it as saying that it had a bunch of recalls welcome to find out Chrysler saying it doesn't so I don't know what's going on with my car and neither do mechanics.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Jul 182019

Avenger

As I was traveling 65 mph down hwy 411 in centre, al my car (2008 Dodge Avenger) completely shutoff. I could barely get my car over to the side of the road due to the steering wheel wouldn't turn. Thank god it was 11 P.M on a Thursday night because if it would've been during the day this hwy is very busy and I could've caused a wreck and harmed myself or someone else. After I got on the side of the road I tried to start it back up a few times and it finally started back up but it wouldn't stop turning over until I cut it back off. Then I tried to start it again and it started but every light on my dash come on. I put it in drive and tried to drive it home but it wouldnt go over 15 mph. I had several vehicles run up on the back of my vehicle and I was actually afraid for my safety. When I got it home I shut it off and it wouldnt start back up. I then tried to start it back up the next morning and the electrical throttle control light come on and I still cant go over 15 mph. This should be a safety recall because I couldve been hurt bad or worse.

- Leesburg, AL, USA

Apr 022008

Avenger 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that riverdale Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram (5869 broadway, the bronx, NY 10463, (718) 548-2800) failed to successfully repair the vehicle per NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the seal for the TPMS wires was not remedied and were corroded. Also, the vehicle was inadvertently going into limp mode, which increased the risk of a potential crash as the vehicle failed to accelerate. An independent mechanic inspected the vehicle. Afterwards, the same dealer was contacted and stated that they were not required to service the vehicle because the recall remedy was provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was informed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced by an independent mechanic as well as the corroded wires. The manufacturer was notified that the remedy failed for the recall. The failure mileage was not available. Consumer stated defective wiring electrical harness! car does not shift out of 1st gear. Chrysler taped over the corroded wiring they did not replace it. They discontined the harness, therefore car is inoperable without it. Consumer replaced the transmission and solonoid pack. ┐parts of this document have been redacted to protect personally identifiable information pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).┐

- The Bronx, NY, USA

Nov 012018

Avenger 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the tire pressure monitoring system indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to mullen motors (55980 NY-25, southold, NY, (631) 765-3564), but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The contact stated that the failure was similar to NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 92,000. Consumer stated car stalled while driving 3 times. Vehicle has repaired.

- Mattituck, NY, USA

Mar 012019

Avenger

Electrical system:wiring unused electrical connectors for the TPMS may become corroded and could short circuit, which can cause a variety of conditions including engine no-start, dead battery, an inoperative cruise control or remote start system, and/or engine stalling.. I have bought 2 new batteries the electrical problem is creating my battery to die. When I am driving it's causing my light engine light to stay on and stall.

- Highland, CA, USA

Mar 312019

Avenger

On 3-31-19 me and my 2 daughters were driving on expressway, I started smelling burning and seen smoke coming from hood on driver side of car, it appeared to be coming from the engine under hood and pulled to side of road. I turned car off and I told kids to get out and we walked down expressway. I told kids to stay there and went to walk back to open hood and check it, on my way back to it, it had started on fire. I went back to my kids and called police. Within ten minutes the whole car was engulfed in flames.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Sep 112012

Avenger

Continuous engine and electronic and fuel and electrical issues with check engine light is activated with no resolve.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 092019

Avenger

Electrical issue. Odometer drops from 65 mph to 10 mph on the highway. Lights flicker. ABS light comes on during all this also. Enigine stalls on occassion. Loss of power to engine. All this happens at highway speeds!!!!!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 102019

Avenger

The horn will randomly sound. It may be operating on city streets, on the highway, parked, and even when not running. The horn does not sound from the steering wheel pad which is a safety concern and causes a safety inspection failure. The horn sounds when the key fob lock button is pressed intermittently. The horn when sounding on its own may sound on and off, or one continuous sound. When taken to a mechanic it was determined the tipm (total integrated power module) is failing in multiple ways, and is the cause for the horn sounding. The tipm is known to cause wipers stopping, lights stopping, etc and poses a very serious risk. I was astounded to know how frequently this occurs and yet no action has been taken.

- Kirksville, MO, USA

Dec 202018

Avenger

In motion at random times my electronic throttle control light will flash at the same time I lose all power at any speed.....from coming into my driveway to highway speed 40-50mph to interstate speeds 65mph I was with my very I'll mom who has to travel with medical supplies and equipment and when she is in an accident, and left unable to get to her set destination, would suffer and did finally today....we had to sit parked for longer that she medically is able to because of this problem with the electronic throttle control. It should be recalled & resolved before someone in my car, or myself, gets hurt or killed. I have had my Avenger since February - March 2009 and today is December 2018 and it has happened for over 2 years to me just because I am still alive, don't mean it shouldn't be resolved. Again, this happened before I got to the mileage I am now and is still happening. My airbag light stays on and I don't know if it would even work......, if I was to impact from the loss of power that's caused from, the etc. Please recall & fix this.

- Maysville, WV, USA

Oct 102018

Avenger

Wednesday October 10th 2018 approximately 10:30 a.M. I was on my way to smoothie kind in cooper city located inside of a plaza. As I turned into the parking spot with my foot already on the brake to slow down into said parking spot the vehicle accelerated on its own. I pumped the brakes once nothing stopped the vehicle and it went over the medium between parking spots and hit a unoccupied vehicle on the left front. Then stopped just before hitting a tree. I'am not sure what happened but their seems to be an electrical malfunction because my mileage has disappeared since.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jun 162017

Avenger

Drivers seatbelt doesn't stay locked. It comes undone. Driver's seat doest move up or down anymore and tire sensor never goes off. Even after new tires put on.

- Holiday, FL, USA