1.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan:

Oct 192018

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred while pulling into a handicap parking space. The contact noticed fuel leaking from underneath the vehicle in large quantities and the fire department was contacted to push the vehicle into the parking space. In addition, the contact stated that a fuel odor entered the cabin of the vehicle directly after the fuel tank was filled. The contact suffered from chemical sensitivity and was ill due to the strong odor of fuel. Medical attention was not required. The contact stated that a vehicle modification company modified the vehicle prior to the failure. The contact stated that a mobility center was also made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 32,500. The VIN was not available.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Sep 042018

Grand Caravan

While in motion at low speed the engine suddenly stopped running and could not be immediately restarted, unable to get out of the lane or off to the shoulder. After several attempts of cycling the key fob off and on the van started again. It is fortunate that this occurred in a very rural area with no traffic. This is a 2012 Grand Caravan with approx. 90K miles. My husband researched similar failures other drivers have experienced with the Grand Caravan, he believes it is likely a failing fuel pump relay. He read that many other Chrysler vehicles having the same relay system have been recalled but apparently not the Grand Caravan as we have not received a recall notice in the mail.

- Pownal, ME, USA

Feb 272018

Grand Caravan

Faulty tipm, causing all electrical devices to quit working or operate intermittently on there own. Door safety locks to not open and trap occupants inside or not lock when vehical reaches speed. Vehicle no start and leave stranded and wrecker charges!

- Marquette, MI, USA

Jan 122018

Grand Caravan

I going driving at 70 mph in I-75 tampa Florida and the vehicle turn off. Checking in internet the posible problem is overhead in the tipm. I am in this moment in a highway for 3 hours waiting for towning. The vehicle not start.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 262017

Grand Caravan

The vehicle didn't start in the morning when switch on I have to call to the body shop and they found out it was the fuel pump they had to change it. I thing that for a car that is only 5 years and 71963 miles it is to soon to have that kind of problems.the vehicle was stationary on a driveway I do have a repair invoice

- Centereach, NY, USA

Dec 272017

Grand Caravan

Driver rear brakes locked up on me today. Had fuel relay switch go out but had it replaced, fuel pump went out had it replaced. Someone told me the brakes system is under recall.

- West Monroe, LA, USA

May 232017

Grand Caravan

Three different times, I took my 2012 Dodge gran Caravan to have the engine check because it stalls out. This happens at any speed. Every time all check out ok per the Dodge repair center. Twice the check engine light was on at the time of the engine stalling. Twice no indication. Engine just quit. It happened again last night (08/30/2017) when my wife was coming home on the interstate. She was in traffic and the engine just quit. Big safety issue. Thank god that she was not in an accident. Some thing is wrong with my gran Caravan. This problem started early this year (2017). First time to a Dodge facility was on 05/23/17, next on 06/05/17 and on 07/07/17.

- Manchaug, MA, USA

Jun 172017

Grand Caravan

Multiple attempts to start, perhaps occuring most often in the morning when the vehicle is cold. The problem gets worse over time and eventually won't start at all. Unexplained battery drainage due to a relay that is stuck in the closed/on position. You can likely hear the fuel pump running if listening from the rear of the vehicle after it's turned off. Battery drainage may still occur even after a new battery is installed. The vehicle stalls while driving and you coast to a stop. The vehicle won't start and appears to be out of gas

- Fort Defiance, AZ, USA

Jul 072017

Grand Caravan

When the vehicle is in drive but is stationary, everything will turn off. The electrical system goes down and the engine shuts off. After a brief moment (approximately one to two seconds), the electrical system will come back up and all electronic components come back on, but the clock on the radio is reset to 12:00. At this point, we can put the vehicle in park and restart it. This has occurred several times in the past several weeks. The most recent occurrence was 2017.07.07 and it did it twice within fifteen minutes. We do not know for sure what is causing this to occur, but it seems to be connected to the main computer and/or the anti-theft system, as this is a complete system shutdown.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Apr 212017

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving, the contact noticed a strong odor of fuel emitting from the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel line was corroded and causing a leak. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the repair was not covered under warranty. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000.

- Bell Harbor, NY, USA

Nov 232016

Grand Caravan

My 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan showed a check engine light at 67,000. I checked the code to fnd out P0303 is a engine misfire. Could be ignition, plug, or valve-cylinder compression. I had the engine serviced and the light goes out. The next day the light comes back on. I return the vehicle for service to investigate the check engine light. Further investigation reveals there is a bad compression on cylinder 03. I take the vehicle to Dodge and they could have told me up front that the right cylinder head is not covered under the extended warranty from Chrysler. They take my car into service and find a leak on cylinder 04 also. They gong to replace the left cylinder head but not the right cylinder head with the same identical problem. I am looking at $3500 if I choose to replace the right cylinder head. This extended warranty should cover the defect no matter which cylinder head is defected. My wife loves the car. She wants another one. I told her that because of this issue we would be right back here in 4 years with another 3.6L V6 pentastar engine. I am torn. Do I trade the issue back to Dodge and get a 4.0L V6 pentstar. I have almost paid it off. This sux great times flushed down the drain because of a engine defect. I love it but I have leave it. Toyota here I come.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Dec 082016

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Starting September 2016 we noticed our lights would go on for no reason and our doors would open on its own. We initially chalked it up to our key being faulty and replaced the batteries, but every so often it kept happening. In October our battery died, we figured the last time we changed it was when we originally got the van so maybe it was just time and replaced it. Then in November our car would not start right away. It started with have to crank about 2 times. Especially in the morning after it sat unused for a couple hours, but then throughout the day it was fine. Soon though it took 5 times before it would start so we took it into to our mechanic to see if there was an issue. Nothing registered on the computer, we figured maybe our fuel lines were clogged and we did a flush. It fixed the starting problem for about a week and then it happened again. We could hear our car cranking, but it would not start and we would have to crank it a couple times. Then while driving our car just stopped. Everything shut down, mind you while driving downhill at about 45 mph. The wheel locked and luckily my husband was driving, he was able to get to the side. We towed our car to the mechanic who said now the computer is saying the fuel pump is bad. So we changed that. Our van worked perfectly...for one day. The next morning it would crank, but not start. After towing to the dealership they stated the next appointment was in January 2017 and our van would be on standby. We are fortunate we did not have to wait that long to have them look at it, but now they stated we needed to replace the battery...again! the problem was our tipm. It basically fried our brand new battery. Total cost for replacing just the tipm $1200!!!! that is not including $140 for diagnostics and $140 for a new battery. How can this happen to a car that is only 4 years old?

- Mililani, HI, USA

Oct 012016

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Suspected tipm failure causing multiple electrical issues. 1. 9/1/16 fuel pump died thereby immobilizing vehicle. Very unusual for a car with less than 60K miles and not yet 5 yrs old. Replaced at dealership, no reimbursement from Chrysler Corp, total out of pocket cost $826. 2. 10/1/16 multiple electrical issues occurred simultaneously a) power door locks no longer function. Therefore over 20mph self locking doors not functional. B) fuel gauge reads completely empty but tank is definitely full. C) parking brake light is constantly illuminated although not applied. D) interior dome lights working intermittently. E) service engine soon indicator light on. For items #1 & #2 vehicle was stationary both times. Currently not being driven until further repair research is done as electrical issues of this nature create an unsafe driving environment.

- Easley, SC, USA

Sep 202016

Grand Caravan

My daughter made an attempt to start the vehicle, one night after community theater rehearsal, to drive home and found the vehicle would not start and she heard random relays chattering throughout the vehicle, had the windshield wipers move, the instrument panel lights flickered on/off along with displaying error codes of: "no fuse" and "no bus". the fuel pump could be heard running, even with the key off and she said the van acted like it was possessed. Based on online information, I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, which was listed as a top culprit in the problem and that solved nothing. Further research indicated the tipm unit is most likely the cause and we found that her make/model of vehicle is part of a lawsuit for this problem.

- Archer, FL, USA

Oct 252014

Grand Caravan

I was entering on a busy interstate when my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T got to about 50+ mph the gas pedal kept accelerating and would not stop the RPM gage hit 6 the only way I got it to stop was to put the vehicle in neutral and pull of the road the rmp's kept going as did the engine I turned the van off in neutral and put it in park. When I started the van back up it instantly started doing the same thing in park. I turned the van back off and waited about 5 minutes and when I restarted the van it seemed normal. Took it to the dealership that day on a Saturday they called me Monday and said it happened with their technicians driving and he removed the floor mat that had been in there for 2 and a half years and it was fine they told me the floor mat got stuck under the pedal! common sense says it would stop the pedal from being pushed down not pull the pedal to the floor. But what do I know right!"!?!"! I am just a female and mother to 2 small children who were with me when it happened. It did this again with my husband driving on a 6 lane road when he pulled out from a stop. This time the floor mat had not been there. Chrysler needs to do something about this matter before a run away vehicle kills someone! they keep telling me they have no idea what the problem is caused from because no codes come up on diagnostics. However if you search the issue online it points to the tipm and the fuel pump not shutting off. The safety issue of this is pretty severe if you ask me. A vehicle that accelerates on its own is pretty serious and dangerous not only for my family but to the general public as well! I do not want to just get rid of the vehicle it is the first brand new vehicle my family has owned and even purchased the extended warranty with the hopes of keeping the vehicle for at least 6 years and now this is not a safe family vehicle! please help with this issue!

- Hudson, IL, USA

Feb 192015

Grand Caravan

After having trouble using the key to start the vehicle for a couple days my car just turned off while traveling at 70 miles per hour. Definitely an electrical problem. The car just shut off as if I turned it off with the key.[no dash lights or radio] I was able to coast and move the shift lever to the neutral position and restart the car and proceed. This is a dangerous problem. The dealer could not help me because nothing was stored in the computer about the incident. Really" the next day I was driving and tapped the key and the car shut down again. Same ignition switch recalled be GM" somebody better figure this out. The dealer did not agree or disagree with my belief that the ignition switch was the culprit. I am afraid of my wife driving this car. If this were to happen to an unexperienced driver not realizing that steering will be difficult and only a couple more pumps left for the power brakes, it would be catastrophic. Again, somebody has to take ownership of this problem and fix it before someone is injured.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA